Author Topic: Blood Loss  (Read 2381 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Blood Loss
« on: 01 April 2024, 16:55:43 »
*Not sure about the time spent on this one.  Its tough, really tough - I can appreciate it might 'help me grow as a writer (but its not my day job)' but I need some opinions.  Keep going, or close it?

Blood Loss

By Red Pins

York was in mourning.

The crimson banners along the main streets of Tara still fluttered, but the planet’s capital was subdued in a way Troy Boques recognized from the short voyage home from Albion, where he and the Cerise Guards had been supporting their Kindraa Sainze allies against an intrusion by the Cloud Cobras.

The formal black mourning bands with the Clan’s insignia picked out in a red so dark it was almost invisible were everywhere in the plaza, worn by civilian and Warrior Caste alike.  The formal uniforms of the Bloodnamed Warriors of the Clan were of particular note; with the death of Karianna Schmitt, most of the Clan’s Warriors were assembling in the Warrior’s Hall to elect a new Khan to lead them further into the great conflict with their fellow Clans.  A few of these were present for the Trial of Bloodright – eager successors nominated to bear the Blood Heritage of the former Khan, many more crowding the field of the Grand Melee outside the city, seeking to prove themselves worthy of the final place in the Trial.

Unlike most of the Clan’s Warriors, he had worked closely with his Khan for the last several years, sharing the burden of representing and defending the Clan.  That time had not always been easy; the Khan’s beauty had paled quickly as her quick temper revealed the fury at the core of her being and the amoral ruthlessness shown to those who abandoned the teachings of the Great Father.

Lost in thought, he continued on, moving slowly and haphazardly through the graceful plaza surrounding the massive Hall as he waited for the sun to set and the Hall’s ceremonial bell to ring, calling the Warrior Caste to the ceremony before the election.  The light brown of the limestone was offset by the bright green enamel covering the ornamental fixtures, fences, lampposts, and doors of the Blood Shrines, smaller versions of the larger Blood Chapels commonplace on Strana Mechty that celebrated the Clan’s Founders.  Most of which, he noted sourly, are closed and dark.

Spurred by curiosity he chose to explore the nearest Shrine, something he hadn’t done since childhood as part of the Warrior Caste’s basic education before being sent to the Sibko.  Leaving the cobbled street and stepping onto the stone path leading to the Shrine, he looked for the small brass plate announcing its owner; Ramazan Sinjab of Clan Blood Spirit.

He paused and bowed his head slightly, showing his respect for one of the Clan’s Founders and entered the Shrine, noting the soft lights that came up as he came in and how the man’s full-sized statue seemed to confront the intruders disturbing his home.  Dressed in the worn Mechwarrior garb of a serving Warrior on the eve of Operation Klondike, Troy recognized him as one of the Warriors who died in the effort to return Arcadia to the control of the Clans and the Great Father.

Studying the steady gaze and confident pose of the man seemed to embody the inheritors of his genetic legacy, he finally turned to move around the statue and deeper into the Shrine.  The next room was adorned with images and summaries of the first of the Sinjab Blood Heritages, the generations of Blood Spirit Warriors becoming a bewildering network of dates, images, and achievements before beginning to taper off early in the 29th century as the Clan became the focus of punitive raids and was forced to consolidate its holdings on York.

Troy fancied he could see the strain of isolation and hatred for the former sibkin who tormented them on the faces of the young Warriors who sought to follow the teachings of the Great Father.  That path led to the first of the Reavings suffered by House Sinjab – not even half-way through the complex timeline.  The weakest Bloodrights, ineffective and eliminated, began to culled more often.  The slow strangulation of the Clan mirrored its collapse; Troy know the history of the Clans as well as any Warrior, saw the eventual Reaving of the Sinjab Bloodrights to just enough to maintain genetic diversity across the Clan’s Warrior Caste and stopped to gaze upon the final generation of Bloodnamed Warriors.

The images of Solhama Warriors – survivors of the brutal battles of Albion and Homer that had nonetheless failed to distinguish themselves – displayed the same anger and shame he had witnessed on the faces of Warriors unable to defend their Clan.  The same Warriors most impacted by the loss of their Khan.

Troy turned away, sickened by the thought of the failure of the Blood Spirit eugenics system that had led them to this point and began to stride purposefully from the room, noting once again the calm confidence of the Shrine’s Founder.  How have we fallen so far?  Troy could only shake his head, returning to the cobbled street to join the slow procession of Warriors beginning to move towards the Hall.

Despite being saKhan and significantly higher in rank than the Warriors still wandering the plaza, the camaraderie between Warriors saw him quickly recognized and he had to quicken his pace as he began to attract supporters – his own, and those who revered the Khan and demanded he launch reprisals to punish the Ghost Bears.  Or the Star Adders.  Or the Cloud Cobras, Coyotes, Steel Vipers…  Anyone.

Continuing to stride forward with purpose he became aware of a growing number of Warriors following him to the Hall.  It was always this way, he admitted to himself.  Those who wavered, the despondent and defeated - sought the comfort of strength and conviction.  Kerensky had led the SLDF to defeat the Ursurper and drawn the survivors to follow him on the Exodus.  His son, Nicholas, had drawn his followers from the Pentagon civil war to Strana Mechty and established the Clans to conquer the Pentagon worlds.  What would he do?

For now, he was focused on the need to convince the Warrior Caste that he was worthy of this duty.  Everything else would come after; the Path would reveal itself.  The low, matte black of the dome of the Hall came into view and the graceful plaza was soon left behind as he led the Warriors across the cobbles of the open courtyard and the small greenbelt of grass and hedges funneling them to the doors at the base of the graceful curved walls of the Hall.  Built during the decades of isolation after the death of their Founding Khan, he believed she would have appreciated the graceful building, representing the unity of the Caste and strength of purpose that embodied the origins of their Clan.

The high-pitched beeping of his earpiece caused him to lose his steady pace, hesitating for a few heartbeats before turning off the cobbled path to the series of doors ahead of him held open to pause beside one of the benches that dotted the greenbelt along the path.  Raising a hand to his ear, he turned from the growing tide of Warriors entering the Hall and answered.

“Boques here,” he said quietly, trusting the microphone pressed against his neck under the uniform to transmit his words clearly.  “What is it?”

“A Seeker is requesting clearance to land, saKhan.  He claims to have transported the remains of several Warriors and Technicians from Arcadia orbit, and requests a meeting when it becomes convenient.”

A Seeker?!  The Seekers were even more reviled than the Spirits themselves – consuming a hallucinogenic drug derived from the genetically modified venom of their totem in search of visions, they were regarded with disgust by most of the Clans.
  Troy felt his brows raise in surprise before scowling at the reminder of their losses.  “Understood”, he said finally.  “Make arrangements to take possessions of the remains, and have him brought to Defense Headquarters.”

Unused to such honorable behavior, he wavered a moment, considering, before adding, “..And give the Seeker my thanks for the return of our kin.”

“Yes, saKhan.”

The peal of the Hall’s ceremonial bell rang as he passed the doors, quickly walking through the halls to emerge at the lip of the rows of seating surrounding the deepest point of the huge room before proceeding to the dais at the center of the Hall, where the Loremaster of the Clan waited.  The Elemental Bloodline and genetic modifications provided the typical massive but strangely nimble frame of the Battlearmored troops, but the cybernetic prosthesis replacing his lower arm was worn openlyhidden under his ceremonial robes.  of

Bare of decoration, the Hall seemed as cavernous and empty to him as always, the Bloodnamed of the Clan assembled nearer to the center despite the few who would be unable to journey to take part in the election of a new Khan.

From the 1,000 potential Bloodnamed Warriors, fewer than seven hundred were now present in the Hall.  A majority of the remaining active Blood Heritages in service with the Clan but enough to show the worrying number of empty seats – the Clan had not only Reaved the weakest of their Bloodlines, but entire Blood Houses had fallen into disuse.

Beginning to descend the steps to the dais, a growing wave of Warriors standing and falling silent in deference.  Concentrating on maintaining an even pace and reaching the bottom, he reached out to the looming figure of the Clan’s Loremaster.

“SaKhan,” came the curt murmur as he reached out with his prosthetic to greet troy.  “You are late.”  Troy grunted.  A fearsome figure, Constans had adopted a new hairstyle in honor of the ceremony; glistening loose ringlets and a fragrant scent framed his muscled figure.

“I know, Constans.  But I needed..  Perspective.”  He straightened.  “You changed your hair again, Quiaff?  The scent is new.”

Constans grinned and nodded proudly.  “Aff.  Distinctive, isn’t it?”  He ran a hand down the crimson-colored bodysuit, walking

...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Seydlitz

• Corporal
Re: Blood Loss
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2024, 16:34:51 »
Hmmm, intriguing. I am curious which direction the Spirits will go. Hopefully one that is ultimately less self-destructive.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2024, 21:44:53 »
Well, yeah.  The idea that they might have cut and run earlier and conquered the neuva Castilians rather that the Goliath Scorpions was what I was shooting for.  The Seeker would give the Spirit Khan a hit of Necrosia, the vision would have prompted another Exodus, and the Spirit/Scorpion/natives would have joined forces with the eventual defeated remnants of the Ice Hellions.

It's just too big a project, so I'm going to drop it f off r now to get back to my original project.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2024, 21:58:39 »
So far its started strong, thanks for sharing!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2024, 22:59:22 »
Yeah, well..

It would need a LOT  of research, and I don't know if I still have access to the Clan series - I bought pdf, can't find them, and can't find the opening lines for a clan meeting beyond remembering, >we're at war, so we will be using the martial code of Kerensky<, or however they put it.

So its probably going to be on the back burner from now on, or just dead  :blank:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2024, 20:01:37 »
It was an interesting start I would love more
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2024, 21:10:56 »
There's just so much accumulated hobby stuff to do.  Six weeks in a cast just sucked, now, I have to catch up at work, physio (still can't make a fist), yard work is starting up everywhere, minimum 24 days of 1 hour work so I can take Friday afternoons off during the school division's summer break, rental property repair and upkeep...

I don't have time to research how a Warrior Council is conducted, the detailed description are really difficult for me...

Maybe look at starting to do research in September for NANOWRIMO, but I want to hurry up and fix about 7-8 minis and strip and repaint my old metal.  Then get into 40K; im sick of not playing every week.

*Oh, finished this today, just need to glue in foam, then cut the layers.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84609.0

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2024, 23:12:08 »
So what ya playing for 40K?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2024, 23:35:06 »
I'm getting the Kreeg troops/Ork box.  The orks are the only faction that didn't turn my stomach when I studied their background, listening to YouTube videos.

There was no way to put those pieces together with a cast, I'm hoping to corral a btech/40k player next weekend to help put them together and paint some of the 'monopose' units if the box has them.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2024, 18:46:51 »
Krieg the clone troopers

Orcs...  I used to play back in the day with a guy who used to deploy by pouring from a box.. and then place his "command staff".  I bet they can be fun to play.

It was a hard found battle of "Massive Waves" vrs my Imperial Guard or Space Marines.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2024, 15:40:24 »
My enthusiasm for the ‘my two houses’ fiction has flagged, and I have another 6 days without pixels.  So after considering my options I’ve decided to try making a go of this idea after all.  NANOWRIMO, take 2.

I won’t have anything more than handwritten stuff for another week or two, but since I had to read the original stub I thought I’d say something about it.  :smiley_boxers:

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2024, 22:38:03 »
*This is still being worked on; the next chapters are already written, but I seem to be hung up on introducing the new Loremaster.  Should be able to get that fixed this next week, since I'm back on vacation.  Right now, plans are to write at work during breaks since I can just sit down in a room and waste 15 minutes.  My other projects will have to be done at home on the box since its gotten to large to risk.

Constans grinned and nodded proudly.  “Aff.  Distinctive, isn’t it?”  He ran his good hand down the crimson-colored bodysuit, straightening it as he turning to walk him to the center of the auditorium where he stopped to face the assembled Warriors.

Clambering onto the Dias he turned to face the assembled Warriors, no longer lounging or lost in discussion with their neighbors but standing grim-faced and with accusing eyes focused upon him.  He was suddenly struck by the anger and hatred the assembled Warriors projected, compared with the calm, unyielding certainty and determination of the Sinjab Bloodhouse.

The realization shocked him and he stood – numb – as seconds ticked by and he felt a surge of disapproval for what the Spirits had allowed themselves to become.  Seeking to turn the moment of introspection to his advantage, he remained expressionless and stared back at the onlookers.  As the silence among the assembled Bloodnamed began to turn to uncertainty he began to turn and look into the faces of chagrined Warriors around the amphitheater, no longer eager for retribution or revenge but buoyed by the calm confidence and strength he was determined to project.

Finished his slow circuit of the Hall, he returned to his place beside the Loremaster and dipped his head respectfully for Constans to begin the ritual.

The Elemental Warrior stepped forward, spreading his arms widely and turning in place to address the assembled Warriors.  “I am the Oathmaster! All are bound by this conclave, until they are dust and memories, and then beyond that time until the end of all that is.”

“Seyla,” murmured the rest of the witnesses reverently.

“Today, we remember the sacrifice of our Khan,” he began.  “And elect a new one to continue the legacy of our forefathers, who sacrificed all to become part of the Great Father’s legacy.”

“Tomorrow comes quickly, surely bringing more disorder and chaos.  We are not afraid of the Trials ahead of us,” Constans declared.  “But to succeed that we need the clarity and determination to wrest victory from our fallen sibs.”

Looking back and forth he turned again to point a finger at Troy.  “Trained and schooled by our Khan, I nominate our saKhan to serve as Khan and lead us against those who would destroy us!”

“Seyla!”  A majority of the Warriors surrounding him barked, raising arms in a show of support as a roar of approval for him echoed in his ears.

Troy nodded, a part of him shrinking from leading the Clan in an uncertain situation but managing to remain composed and stoic as he raised his arm to return the gesture in a show of respect and gratitude for their support as the shouting died and he moved to the center of the room to speak.

That he should be the favored candidate was a matter of tradition, this elevation to the leadership of the Clan had been the probable outcome of the Ghost Bear’s attack and a duty and an honor that he had been dreading.  His first duty, the choice of saKhan to assist him in carrying out his orders on the battlefield, was similarly a matter of tradition.

“As Khan, I remind you that although we are not in a state of war, our fallen sibkin continue to prosecute their grievances against us.  We have little time to prepare, thus I ask Constans Cluff to accept the rank of saKhan and serve as my second in the Trials ahead.”

“Seyla!”  Again, the majority of Warriors supported tradition and accepted him by acclaim, leaving the Loremaster’s post empty as Constans raised his whole arm to return the salute and trade handclasps once again with Troy.

With silence descending on the Warriors of the Clan Council, the tension in the room subtly increased; the position of Loremaster was seen as a stepping-stone to senior ranks among the Clan’s leadership, offering an ambitious Warrior the opportunity to gain recognition and fame during times of crisis – and the Spirits had seen no lack of crises during their long history. 

Troy looked around the surrounding Warriors, locating his choice to fill the junior command rank.  Forewarned, his chosen candidate had been told to sit close to the floor of the Hall.  With the progression of Loremasters to higher rank, a small pool of suitable candidates was approved in advance in case of losses, allowing the Spirits to replace senior officers with qualified Warriors.  Personal preference and potential personality conflicts were thus accommodated and identified while ensuring the competence and potential of the Clan’s future leaders.  The pool of candidates also included those Warriors who had won notable victories or were otherwise acclaimed as Ristars by their fellows, seeking to encourage the majority of the Caste to excel and boost morale.

“I propose Star Colonel James Vargras for the post of Loremaster!”

The murmurs of the Council began immediately as disappointed faces turned to their neighbors, seeking information from their fellows.  They were not to wait long, as James stood and joined the Khans on the floor of the Hall.  Already on the way to high rank within the Clan with the Vargras Bloodname and recent victories under his belt against the occupying Star Adders, his recent negotiations with the Abjured Snow Ravens saw several major facilities fall under Blood Spirit control.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2024, 23:37:21 »
  Waiting several minutes for the Council to consider the ramifications of his elevation, Constans and James began a quiet discussion on the role and priorities of his tentative position before Troy called for the Council’s vote.

The slow raising of arms in support of his nomination took a few seconds longer than their own to confirm as numerous rivalries and feuds between Blood Houses or Warriors had their chance to decline his appointment, but Troy’s endorsement and James’ reputation among the Caste were sufficient to see him elected.  And with that, Troy knew he was the undisputed master of his Clan.

CHAPTER 2

The Lesser Castes had done well moving his personal effects into the Khan’s formal residence in Tara’s main residential tower.  Close by the Clan’s main administrative tower, it felt odd to leave the familiar Warrior Barracks for the Khan’s opulent penthouse accommodations.  Like the tours of the Blood Chapels in the Sibko, his memories of the Clan’s administrative center seemed…  More impressive.  Crossing the orderly street from the main entrance and waved past the unarmored Elementals standing guard within the lobby, small signs of neglect seemed to be around every corner.

Curious of the state of the building itself, he decided to retrace the steps of the Sibko tour that had been his first introduction to the building.  Despite the hour, many of the floors were occupied.  Many of the desks, however, seemed to be empty, leaving the remaining occupants to huddle together in small clumps.  The overall effect reinforced the sense of a Clan, once vibrant and energetic, now weak and flailing to regain its strength.

Reaching the offices of the Khan, he was surprised by the presence of the Seeker in the formal uniform of the Goliath Scorpions waiting to be acknowledged in the antechamber alone.  Rising to his feet and removing a concealing mask over the lower half of his face, something about the man seemed familiar.

“Khan Boques.  Greetings and respect,” he said in a low voice.  “I am Star Colonel Ferdinand Yu, a humble Seeker.”

Troy was taken aback slightly at hearing the formal greeting of the Blood Spirit IlChis from the man, the moment of surprise quickly over as the man dropped his eyes in a modest nod before standing with his arms crossed.  The intensity of the desert sun had clearly been the cause of the dark, wrinkled and creased skin around the man’s face and eyes, his age marking him as nearing the end of his military career.  His eyes, a dark brown nearly black, looked steadily into his own. 

‘Of course – leave it to the Scorpions to know the history of the Clans as a whole,’ Troy realized.  ‘This man has prepared for this encounter.’

“Star Colonel,” he said cautiously.  “Excuse me – I have never met a Seeker before.”

The two men stood silently gazing calmly at each other, taking each other’s measure.  Yu’s seamed face seeming amused at the younger man’s confusion, the Seeker’s teeth a brilliant white against his tanned face prompting him to try and regain control of the conversation.

“You have come a long way for this meeting, Seeker.  What is your purpose here?”

Yu’s humor seemed to evaporate as the reason for his presence seemed to awake something in him.

“I seek a Trial of Position, Khan Boques.”  The older man suddenly seemed grimly determined.  “Should I emerge victorious, I desire a place among your advisors.”

Taken aback, Troy could only listen on in shock as a bark of laughter filled the room.

“You cannot be serious, Quiaff?”  Constans exclaimed as he and James came in.  “Why should we allow a Seeker into the heart of our Clan?”

Yu faced the saKhan evenly.  “I believe that is up to the Khan himself to determine, saKhan Cluff,” he said quietly.  “Sometimes, a new perspective is key to achieving our goals.”

“I see nothing of value a Necrosia-addled Solhama would bring our Clan,” Constans declared mockingly.  Turning to Troy, he asked, “Are you here to ensure the Laborers have treated Khan Schmidt’s personal effects with respect?”

Troy shook his head.  “I came to inspect the facilities and thank the Seeker for the return of our kin, Constans.”

“And your conclusion my Khan?”

Troy shrugged.  “Everything seems to be in order, Constans.  I expect to be finished here momentarily.”

Yu took a disbelieving glance around the nearly deserted offices before turning back to Troy, holding out both arms to indicate the empty office.  “Battles are won long before Warriors take the field, Khan Boques.”

Looking at Troy, he continued.  “I presume the Khan’s staff is elsewhere, awaiting the result of the Council?  How else do you expect to exert your authority effectively?”

“On the battlefield, Seeker,” Constans answered in a mocking tone.  “You are not Blood Spirit – you would not understand.”

Shifting uncomfortably, Troy suddenly decided to end the conversation. Moving to open the door to his new office, he was surprised at the size of the room.  His personal effects, mementos, and hardcopies of The Remembrance and dog-eared training manuals took up the majority of the space consumed on the bookshelves and shelves around his desk, while official documents in the process of approval or consideration took up a smaller amount of space on the desk itself.  Still in motion towards the desk, Troy noticed another, larger pair of doors past the small conference table and went to open them.

After the sparsely-populated Headquarters, the ‘Office’ – a misnomer if he had ever heard one – took up nearly a half- to two-thirds of the entire floor. Through the doors he was faced with a bewildering number and styles of furniture, made from native woods and simple furnishings much like any Warrior Barracks or Caste Housing.  Desks – a quick count showed nearly a dozen in close proximity to the office, a large, leather-bound bar surrounded by glass and bottles of alcohol, and another small conference table were arranged before them.

Having followed Constans and James through the doors, he was close enough to hear the older man exclaim in wonder under his breath.

“Stravag,” Yu said, shock apparent in his voice.  “The Great Father would weep.”

“Seeker?  Do you have a comment?”  Constans said threateningly, his head jerking to the side to face the man.

The Scorpion Warrior turned from the vista before them to face the larger man before inhaling deeply to stare back at Constans before launching in a description of the sight before them.
  “This Office,” he emphasized, beginning to walk slowly into the room and pointing at the nearest desks.  “Is designed to accommodate one man; the Khan of Clan Blood Spirit, and his staff.”

“Here, the Khan deals with his General Staff.  Personnel, Watch Intelligence, Operations, Logistics, Caste Relations and Interactions, Signals, and everything else,” Yu pronounced grimly.

“Those desks,” he said, pointing at the others arrayed in neat squares around clear panels clearly intended to display relevant information.  “Are for their aides.  Their own offices and staffs must be elsewhere, probably somewhere close but not in the building.”

“Those tables…,” he said thoughtfully, beginning to walk past the desks to one of the larger tables beyond them.  “Let me see…”

Finding a switch of some sort at the head of the closest, he gently spun the table upside-down, revealing the inset holographic emitters of a modern map table.  Waving the Spirits to join him, he began brushing off the dust and trying to activate it, finally shrugging and moving to the next.

Trailing behind Yu, Troy was stunned.  As a child in the Sibko, the tour had ended in the antechamber of the Khan’s office, guarded by a full Point of armored Elementals.  The revelation of the Office’s extent and purpose had clearly been lost over the years – clearly, even the Laborers dedicated to maintaining and cleaning the building had been unaware of their nature.  Beside him, even Constans looked chastened as he gave a last glance at the inoperable emitters and followed Yu.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2024, 17:57:20 »
  Yu had apparently recognized the table, pressing a square inset on the surface of the table and flipping up the revealed monitor before pulling out a keyboard inset in the edging of the table.  Wiping the dust from the screen and trying to activate the system, Yu gave up after a few minutes as the screen stayed stubbornly blank.  Climbing out of the chair at the head of the table, he offered it to Troy.

“These clearly haven’t been used for a while,” he muttered.  Catching Troy’s eye, he continued, saying, “These are a little out of date, Khan Boques.  You’ve never seen these in use before, Quiaff?”

“Aff,” Troy admitted, his eyes turning back to the holomap tables.  Constans and James nodded in confirmation as well.

A visibly amused Yu waited a moment before asking, “Perhaps you would do well to consider an advisor familiar with such equipment?”

“Neg!” Constans barked back, beginning to close the between them to loom over the Seeker.

“Stop!”  Troy barked as he threw up a hand to prevent a confrontation.  “The Seeker has returned the bodies of our kin, and you will not embarrass me.”

Taken aback, Constans came to a stop short of the older man.  The Seeker, however, seemed to come alive – his posture suddenly balanced and in a combat stance, hand hovering over the unnoticed hilt of his sidearm.

“Are you so sure of your worth, Seeker?”  Troy asked evenly.

“Yes,” Yu answered in the same tone.

Looking at Constans, he added, “And I suggest a Trial of Position against your saKhan.  He and I will use this equipment to plan an attack against an opponent of your choice – he will use your own advisors, and represent the best your Clan has to offer.”

“You will choose candidates of comparable skill, and I will select my staff from them.”

Yu’s smile reappeared.  “Well, Khan Boques?  What do you have to lose?”

The equipment had been the least problematic aspect of the Trial, Troy mused.  It had taken days to satisfy the Seeker’s demands for proficiency of the lower Castes assigned to his staff.  Deciding the targets of the Trial, however, had taken heartbeats.  With the Ghost Bear’s retreat from Clan space, it was fitting the retribution for Khan Schmidt’s death fall on their most hated foe.

The two men had shown different strategies and priorities during the Trial to the judges – Troy, the new Loremaster, and Star Admiral Brean McFadden.  Most shocking was the approach the Trial’s time limit, as the saKhan had concluded planning his attack within hours while the Seeker had used the entire week allowed to him.

As the challenged party Constans had presented his plan first, essentially the immediate launch of Alpha Galaxy’s Red Guards and 7th Blood Drinkers to return to Arcadia to attempt to challenge the Star Adders for any remaining industrial assets still being fought over.

Yu, however, was seated amongst the spectators as Spirit Solhama and lesser Caste volunteers began his presentation, and as Warrior Roan announced their goal as the capture of the Adder’s Albion MMA Complex producing Marauder-2Cs he was forced to order the hall to silence.

The silence was immediate, as Roan began explaining the rationale behind their choice.  A single Jump from York, it allowed the Spirits to rapidly assault the world, move reinforcements quickly, and kept risk to the Carrack-class Katarina Schmidt to a minimum as it carried the looted industrial site to safety.  Roan offered to keep the presentation to under an hour, and by the end there was little doubt that Yu had succeeded.

Even the Warriors attending as witnesses were convinced, as the potential capture of the facility allow them to field the coveted ‘Mech themselves, repaying the Adders in kind for the insult of facing them in second-line units during the fighting on York and proving it had only been the Marauder’s quality that allowed them to win.

Troy felt uncomfortable, however.  The furtive glances began to tell, as Roan began to answer questions from the witnesses and the Star Admiral closed the doors to the Khan’s private office as Troy sat at the head of the conference table and Constans pulled up the chair to his right beside him before activating the computer system within it as the other three men joined him.

“We could do this,” Constans said wonderingly, examining the data Roan provided as the Star Admiral joined the two of them, flanking the Khan.  “We probably wouldn’t survive the Adder’s retribution, but…”

Brean nodded slowly, looking at Troy questioningly.  “He is worthy of such a place,” he said quietly.  “Seeker?  I would be willing to bid for your services if the Khans refuse your request.”

“No,” Constans interjected.  “No.  The Seeker-“  He shook his head.  The Star Colonel is here on a personal quest.”

“Very insightful, saKhan Cluff.”  Yu commented.  Taking a seat further down the table and beginning to spin back and forth in the chair, he leaned back and continued.  “I am, indeed, seeking to ingratiate myself with the Khan to fulfill my mission.”

“Why..?”  Troy asked curiously.  “What is it you desire, Seeker?”

Yu stood with a soft clatter from the steel plates of his dress uniform.  “To preserve the Spirit of the SLDF, my Khan.”

Tory blinked in surprise as Yu raised his hands in a wordless appeal for patience.

“Long ago, I experience Necrosia for the first time,” he began solemnly.  “It was..  Incredible.  But it was not yet time to act on what I had experienced.  Indeed, it has been thirty years since the experience.”

“During my military career, I was watchful for the conditions burned into my memory by the drug to come to pass.  The events and conflicts of the past eighteen Standard months leave me no doubt about what must be done to prevent it from occurring.”

Turning to face him, he raised an accusing finger to point at Troy.  “Khan Boques, the Spirits have become corrupted, no longer fulfilling the Great Father’s vision for the Clan.  Do you agree?”

Troy felt the shock of Yu’s words from Constans and Brean on either side of him, but found his gaze locked with that of the compassionate face of the Seeker.  The man looked uncannily like the face of the Warrior from the Blood Chapel before his rise in rank, he realized.

The other men’s protestations and wild gestures had no effect on either man, and as their shock abated he found himself leaning forward slightly.

“Explain,” he ordered the older man curtly, their gazes still locked. 

“It is quite simple, Khan Boques.”  Yu began.  “As laid down by the Great Father, Clan Blood Spirit was formed to honor ‘the Spirit of the original four hundred.’  The SLDF, in essence.”

“The Blood Spirits have since condemned the rest of the Clans for their lack of brotherhood and close ties between Warriors,” Yu continued.  “And the Adders have begun to prosecute the Burrock feud to appease the Absorbed Warriors among them.”

He paused, seeing understanding in the faces of the Spirits.  “Your allies have already been forced from Clan space.  The attention of the Adders has turned to you as a means of unifying the disparate viewpoints afflicting their Clan – that a Trial of Annihilation will be declared soon seems inevitable.”

He paused.  “The situation is grave, with multiple threats on the horizon.  I have come to warn you of the Vision I experienced decades ago, and provide an alternative to its outcome,” he finished softly.

Troy tore his gaze from the older man to exchange glances with Constans and Brean, who remained non-committal.  “What did you see?  And what path have you found to avoid such a fate?”

Yu grimaced, seating himself once again.

“Like most, I experienced hallucinations,” he began.  “I witnessed an image of the Great Father, my viewpoint moving closer and closer, until I saw his image begin to dissolve into chaos; individual totems fighting amongst themselves and the eventual massacre of the Not Named, their blurred forms attacked and destroyed as a small group fled into the distance.  The spidery forms of the Widowmakers were the next to fall, their totems ripping out the throats of the Wolves before they were massacred.”

“The darkness began grow, and I found myself engulfed by the fighting at it finally fell, the occasional pools of light becoming fainter until a single beacon was all that remained.”

Yu fell silent again, reaching up and rubbing his forehead and eyes with both hands as if to deny what he had witnessed before continuing.

“It is common for our subconscious to play a part in these Visions, guiding them.  It will not surprise you to know at some point, I suspect my surroundings to have grown dim as my familiarity with the history of the Clans became uncertain.  The remainder was far more indistinct, but no more reassuring,” he added soberly.  “I felt the violence around me, rather than witness it.  As I began to focus on the light, I was not the only one to fight against it, seeking to avoid being attacked from deeper in the darkness.”

“Eventually dawn of a sort began to break in the distance and the simmering tension exploded once more, violence buffeting me before the feeling lessened.  The pools of a dim red luminance returned, the savagery of the Burrocks and Adders becoming visible before disappearing into the growing darkness.”

Yu paused again before standing once again, offering a shrug.  “I believe your Clan will be the next to be destroyed, Khan Boques.  I am here to offer you my aid to prevent it.  I know, the drug-induced hallucinations of a Seeker are of little concern to you.  But perhaps I might be able to aid you restore the vision of the Great Father, the brotherhood felt by the Clans before Operation Klondike.”

He fell silent for a second before pulling something from within his uniform, its vibrant green hue seeming to glow in the brightly-lit room.

“If my skills are insufficient-“, he said, walking past the saKhan and placing it  carefully on the table in front of Troy.  “Perhaps this will convince you.”

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2024, 00:02:45 »
Still working on this, but work is kicking my ass every day.  I am trying to be consistent, but I'm stuck working through breaks trying to catch up before the first snowfall.   >SNIP<  Sorry, just whining. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 11 September 2024, 12:48:21 »
Still working on this, but work is kicking my ass every day.  I am trying to be consistent, but I'm stuck working through breaks trying to catch up before the first snowfall.   >SNIP<  Sorry, just whining.

work it at YOUR pace, don't worry about deadlines, focus on telling the story the way it comes to you....at the speed you plausibly CAN.

Oh, and 'Ping"!!
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2024, 00:50:20 »
Talk about a reversal - reading your stuff got me through covid.   :grin:

And, yeah.  It's just, these people got trained.  But they didn't leave any of that knowledge for the next guy, except word of mouth.  >snip<  Sorry, more whining.  But realistically, October will be make or break.

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2024, 18:06:29 »
I think we all got each other through COVID, really... :)

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2024, 23:43:41 »
I think we all got each other through COVID, really... :)

Yeah, I guess.  Wote another page today.  That's something.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2024, 02:39:01 »
And, done chapter 2!  Nothing like diarrhea and a second shingles vaccine to make you cower in a sore, cold lump frantically scribbling so you can go to bed.

Daryk

• Major General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2024, 04:59:09 »
That second shot sucks, but it's light years better than actual shingles!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2024, 09:56:10 »
Also you as you are still having fun with this setting that is what is important.

Also how did the Ork/Krieg game go

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2024, 18:32:56 »
Also you as you are still having fun with this setting that is what is important.

Also how did the Ork/Krieg game go

Ok?  I'm reconsidering getting into it.  Work is kicking my ass, I come home, and work is STILL kicking my ass.  There aren't enough hours in the day.  I worked less working two full-time jobs than I do as a dad of four ADHD/FASD kids.  Plus I have a bonus kid as a foster right now.  Its insane.

Anyway, transcribed onto computer.  Took a couple hours, hope you like it.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2024, 18:34:13 »
Chapter 3

Yu’s victorious departure from the office had left the Spirits in an awkward position, uncertain of their next move.  As Yu’s proposal continued to dominate the room in his absence.

“We can’t,” Breen muttered stubbornly.  “The Adders outgun us by an enormous margin.  Provoking them with a successful Trial for the production facility is absurd.

Troy gave a sour grimace and nodded, ignoring the contradictions of the other man.

“I agree,” he said heavily.  “Our Warriors are superior, but the Adders have proven the strategy behind the Great Refusal sound once again.”

Raising the beer mug that looked absurdly tiny in his good hand to drain it, Constans slammed his mug down on the table in agreement.

“We would face waves of the dezgra surats, fighting in second-line machines to continue grinding us down to nothing,” he said angrily.

The table was silent a moment before he continued in a lower voice saying, “The Adders will seek to placate the former Burrocks with opportunities to continue the feud.”

Troy and James Vargras nodded, glancing at each other over the rims of their glasses as they drained their own mugs.

“I fear for our Clan,” Constans continued.  “Our Brothers and Sisters in the Lesser Castes would not willingly accept their Absorption.  Their Warriors would use it as an excuse to call for our Anihilation.”

James rose, putting a hand over the top of the Elemental’s mug and gently pulled it from Constan’s reluctant grasp.

“I think we have all had enough,” he said sternly.  “A Warrior should not need to turn to strong drink to face reality.  My Khan?”

Troy set the mug between them with a grimace and watched as James moved them to the end of the bar before rejoining them.

“I remember Ferdinand comparing our situation to a quote from the early days of space travel,” Troy commented.  “We are too close together, competing for resources like ‘Crabs in a bucket’, preventing one another from escaping our confines while restricting our growth, because our success comes at their expense.”

The men around the table nodded.

Looking around the table at the older men, James looked concerned. 

“Perhaps the Colleen system will serve to provide us the space we need?”

The table fell silent for a moment before Troy stood to cross to the bar for a dusty bottle and the small shot glasses beside it, bringing it back to the table and unscrewing the top before answering.

“No,” he said quietly.  “One Jump or five, they will come.”

Beginning to fill the glasses with the amber liquid, he continued.  “The question is – what are we going to do about it?

The dawn light through the windows of the Khan’s palatial quarters was strong enough to force Troy to try first the blanket and then a pillow to block the light before forcing himself awake to begin the morning routine developed since his ascension to the leadership of the Clan.

Resilient, Clan society had rebounded with time and the Warriors firm guidance, and Troy was mollified to note the greater number of Lesser Castes at desks as he moved past them to the doors of his office.  Unsurprisingly, Constans and Yu were already there bringing James up-to-date with the responsibilities of his new rank.  Seeing his arrival, Yu excused himself to welcome him.

“My Khan,” Ferdinand said as he assumed a pose of attention before the desk.  “Nothing of note to report – Star Admiral McFadden has forwarded the damage estimates of the CBS Stooping Kite and Rocinante and salvage efforts over Arcadia are continuing.”

Troy grunted.  “Anything else I should know?”

“The Watch reorganization you ordered has bogged down interviewing candidates and the ProtoMech production numbers on Haven are over quota.  The new mixed defensive Stars are performing above average in the Sibkos as well.”

Troy slumped in to the comfortable chair looking back at the expressionless Yu, the silence beginning to become uncomfortable as Yu waited patiently to be dismissed.

Troy considered his options carefully.  He had questions for the older man, on subjects he had no intention of broaching with the rest of his advisors.

“Colleen,” he began, gesturing to one of the chairs in front of him.  “We have begun transferring our industrial and population base to the system.  Your opinion?”

“A wise decision, my Khan,” Ferdinand began as he moved to seat himself.  “But I doubt it will be enough to deter the Adders from prosecuting the feud.”

Troy nodded.  Weeks of discussions over internal Adder politics with experienced Watch officials and his own instincts had led him to conclude as much.  Despite increasing production, the Spirits faced a shortfall in every category, especially WarShips.

“…Options…?”  He asked quietly.

Ferdinand dropped his gaze to the desk before him and considered for a moment before speaking.

“Sun-Tzu said, ‘Quickly depart from difficult ground’ – mountain and forest, precipices, ravines, marsh and swamp, all places where passage is hard.  In this case, such would be your preferred defensive positions,” he said quietly.  “Where your troops could be expected to fight to the last Warrior to exact a measure of revenge from the Adders.”

“But in the centuries since his wisdom was relevant, orbital bombardment is the conqueror’s answer.  One you have no answer to.”

“Similarly, stratagems already in motion should be fully supported and possibilities explored to make new alliances to replace those no longer viable,” Yu continued.

Troy nodded.  The IlChi program, formerly deactivated, would provide suitable positions of authority for Warriors entrusted to find new allies among the Homeworld Clans.

“Advise the Watch to locate suitable candidates for the resumption of the IlChi program,” he said, beginning to prepare for a morning’s worth of work coordinating the Castes to meet the needs of the Clan.  “Focus on the most likely candidates among the Clans first.”

Ferdinand nodded, but remained in his seat as Troy realized the older man had not finished.

“I do not think you understand the extent of my suggestion, quiaff?” He said quietly.  “We must abandon the Kerensky Cluster.”

Troy felt his expression slacken as Ferdinand’s blunt response began to register and he slammed a fist on the desk and jerked upright.  “No!”  He declared in a ringing voice.

Ferdinand was impassive.

“No,” Troy said again as he slumped back into his chair again, attempting to justify his reaction.  “The Great Father-”

“-Would recognize the strategic necessity to retreat?”  Ferdinand asked calmly.  “Would he want one of his Clans to fight to the death rather than survive and prosper?”

Troy remained silent mentally floundering as Constans and James burst into the office.  A hair faster than Constans, James turned to close the doors to the office behind them, leaving Constans to seat himself next to the older man.

“Ferdinand has advised you to flee the Cluster, quiaff?”  Constans asked soberly.

“Aff,” Ferdinand replied calmly.  “He took it about as well as we predicted.”

“Are you attempting to undercut my authority?”  Troy snarled.

“No,” James protested earnestly.  “But the Clan must focus on the situation without pre-conceived notions of our destiny.”

“Destiny?”  Troy shook his head.  “This is cowardice, not calculation.”

The other men remained silent, awaiting his reasoning.  As the silence dragged out, the words to justify his outburst remained elusive.  Seeing his hesitation, Constans leaned forward.

“We will be overwhelmed, my Khan,” he said intently.  “We require a new strategy to deal with the situation.  One that the Adders and their allies can not anticipate and thwart.”

Looking at the grim expressions of his advisors, Troy swallowed uncomfortably, staring back across the desk.

“What?”  He asked harshly.  “How will cowardice save us from this?  How will we remain Warriors, worthy of the Clans of Kerensky?”

The younger men turned towards Yu.

“We attack,” Yu said calmly.  Troy blinked in surprise.

“The Truce of Tukkyyid collapsed over four Warrior generations ago,” he began, leaning forward.  “The Great Refusal muddies the water, but Operation Revival concluded two generations ago.”

“Attack the Inner Sphere?”  Troy was stunned.  Yu had shown his audacity arguing to raid Albion, but the possibility of such an action was breathtaking.

Constans held up a single massive finger.

“One.  Our assets, in transit to and from Collen, are invisible to the Adders and their allies.  The disruptions to our production have been going on for some time, providing us a window to depart for the Inner Sphere.  Should the Adders suspect, our most vital assets would be helpless.”

“Two,” he said, raising another finger.  “We cannot overwhelm a Successor State, despite our superior technology and eugenics.  To prevent a long campaign, we must focus our strength and overwhelm our target immediately.”

“Three,” James interjected.  “The native resources must be turned to our advantage as quickly as possible.  As the Wolves proved, logistics will determine our success and failure.”

“Four,” Constans reclaimed the discussion as Yu watched amusedly.  “The Caste system – and Clan culture in general – must be relaxed to reduce rebellion and ease integration.”

“We should focus on the Periphery,” James interjected again.  “A shorter voyage eases logistics, reduces the risk of defeat in detail before we can reinforce-“

“I agree,” Constans nodded.  “Five, no-one will question our right to strike out.  The Adders could still seek us out, but we will be closer to our sources of production and resources.  The Adders will be forced to maintain most of their strength in the Cluster and expend time and resources to find us before attacking.”

“But our people,” Troy said plaintively.  “How do we defend them?”

“Clan society allows the victor to claim a population as Isorla,” Ferdinand noted.  “We offer a bargain to the rest of the Clans who would protect those we must leave behind.  In exchange, we could claim equipment and resources that would greatly benefit our logistics.”

“And you – all of you – feel this is the only course of action we might take to assure the Clan’s existence?”  Troy asked.

Constans looked to James, receiving a slight nod before turning back to Ferdinand, who nodded firmly.

As the three men turned back to Troy, he felt strangely relieved as he realized his advisors were deferring to his decision.  Seeking an alternative, he was struck by a sudden inspiration and reached into one of the drawers of his desk.

Pulling out the shimmering vial of Necrosia and placing it carefully on the desk between them as Constans and James recoiled in surprise, he noticed Yu remained expressionless.

“Perhaps – we have not explored all the possibilities open to us,” he said quietly.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2024, 20:29:17 »
Ok?  I'm reconsidering getting into it.  Work is kicking my ass, I come home, and work is STILL kicking my ass.  There aren't enough hours in the day.  I worked less working two full-time jobs than I do as a dad of four ADHD/FASD kids.  Plus I have a bonus kid as a foster right now.  Its insane.

Anyway, transcribed onto computer.  Took a couple hours, hope you like it.
Work Sucks, where was this when we were young and no one warned us about it.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2024, 23:00:17 »
Yeah, well, it beats the alternative, I guess.  Coworker is constantly complaining he can't find anybody to even date.  Should take only a couple weeks, have to figure out the necrosia vision and what 'lucky breaks' the Spirits are going to catch.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2024, 20:57:06 »
I absolute;y love this story  excited to hear more

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2024, 21:22:04 »
Thanks, I have to admit I'm getting more attached to it as well.  It was really hard at first but I'm taking a break of a couple weeks to work on another project.

alex blood spirit

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 27 October 2024, 15:53:52 »
waiting to see how the Spirit's will make it to the Inner  Sphere

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #29 on: Today at 01:17:30 »
Life intervened. (SNIP)  I don't respect the verbal diarrhea on social media, but the latest blowup is a major one.  I'm not giving up and the school year is normally the more relaxed time for me, but I haven't even done the last 2 paragraphs of a page for my fan book for the last two weeks.  (Ugh.  SNIP again.)

Thanks for the interest, though.  Any questions or comments?  I could really use some battletech distractions right now.