Author Topic: Current CBT A Time of War RPG books  (Read 5664 times)

salcor

• Corporal
Current CBT A Time of War RPG books
« on: 22 July 2011, 18:01:23 »
So currently which books have been released and are compatible with A Time of War?  I know there was a lot of 3rd edition stuff floating around.  Do the current era report books support MW 3rd ed or ATOW?  How about the combat equipment book?  Is that ATOW or a reprint of the MW 3rd ED lost tech book?

Salcor

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Current CBT A Time of War RPG books
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2011, 18:17:06 »
Combat equipment is a different book to LosTech, but both are MW3/CBT:RPG books.  So far, there's been no dedicated ATOW print books, but Handbook: Major periphery states, Handbook: Capellan Confederation, Masters and Minions, Era Report 3052, Era Report: 3062, and probably a couple of other books have ATOW material in them.  PDF-wise, the Dossiers and Era Digests contain ATOW material, while some of the Turning points have characters with ATOW special abilities.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Bluemax

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2011, 11:13:22 »
Combat equipment is a different book to LosTech, but both are MW3/CBT:RPG books.  So far, there's been no dedicated ATOW print books, but Handbook: Major periphery states, Handbook: Capellan Confederation, Masters and Minions, Era Report 3052, Era Report: 3062, and probably a couple of other books have ATOW material in them.  PDF-wise, the Dossiers and Era Digests contain ATOW material, while some of the Turning points have characters with ATOW special abilities.

There should be a handy dandy link to a page maintained by Catalyst with this list.  If not, someone should get on it.

Paul?  You read this forum, what say you?

Randall is rumored , unconfirmed, to like slave driving and I think this is a good task to delegate.

BlueMax

salcor

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2011, 18:52:37 »
Was the book "A guide to covert ops" a Mechwarrior 3rd ed book?

Salcor

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2011, 21:17:10 »
Was the book "A guide to covert ops" a Mechwarrior 3rd ed book?

Salcor

yes, it is a 3rd ed book. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2011, 00:07:43 »
Right now there are NO additional books for the current AToW RPG rule set.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2011, 08:27:13 »
There should be a handy dandy link to a page maintained by Catalyst with this list.  If not, someone should get on it.

Paul?  You read this forum, what say you?

Not a bad idea, but it wouldn't be my labor to get it done. I'll float it up the chain though.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2011, 08:36:54 »
might it be an idea to add checkboxes to the product page for what games a book supports between BattleTech, BattleForce, AtoW and so on?  Like how the back page of sourcebooks used to?

ColonelCody

• Lieutenant
  • "What We Have Here, Is Failure To Communicate"
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2011, 23:44:24 »
Does anyone know how to translate the stuff from earlier MW systems to the new one? I've had no real time to sit down and even read my copy yet.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2011, 01:31:17 »
a lot of it is already there

the main thing that I find missing is a few nitpicky things like the waldo /light exo that makes a manpack ppc a "rifle" for a single user rather than a squad weapon

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #10 on: 03 August 2011, 19:26:50 »
Does anyone know how to translate the stuff from earlier MW systems to the new one?

I *think* Herb mentioned in one of the most recent Battlechats that the proposed AToW Companion would possibly have conversion rules.  Lotta caveats on that one, I know.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 03 August 2011, 21:32:18 »
I've created a excell-looking sheet in word that I'm using to create characters with the lifepath system in 3rd ed and just translating results into xp.  I don't have it with me right now, but I'll try to post it in the next couple of days. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2011, 17:19:05 »
Does anyone know how to translate the stuff from earlier MW systems to the new one? I've had no real time to sit down and even read my copy yet.

There's a converter from MW2 to MW3 up on the catalyst site:  http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=text&page=ConvertingMW2 but nothing for converting to ATOW.

I've picked up the old mechwarrior module "Royalty and Rouges" on Amazon and sure would appreciate any guidance.  Does anyone know someone who knows someone who could push a conversion guide along?

I sure wish Catalyst would come out with new full length MW adventures  [rockon]
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2011, 17:35:05 »
The upcoming ATOW companion will have conversion guidelines

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2011, 18:07:37 »
I've picked up the old mechwarrior module "Royalty and Rouges" on Amazon and sure would appreciate any guidance.  Does anyone know someone who knows someone who could push a conversion guide along?

I sure wish Catalyst would come out with new full length MW adventures  [rockon]

ok looking at my copy ... this is a mw2nd edition adventure

and frankly mw2nd and 4th edition is very similar stat and skill wise the main diference is in combat.

mw 4th (atow) uses more fixed hp and fixed damage from weapons modified by MoS

so rough and ready conversion imo would be
look at stats, target numbers and saves, and ballpark the chars to get the same saves and target numbers, you should be within 1-2 points on each skill/attribute

eg in R&R 1st char
duke, Morris davion-harland

bld 4 (8+ )
ref 4 (8+ )
int 5 (7+ )
lrn 5 (7+ )
cha 4 (8+ )

skills admin 3 5+
archery 7 3+
bureaucracy 2 7+
gunnery mech 6 3+

(snip)

so convert to atow stats that look about the same, and skills that provide equivalant target numbers

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2011, 00:11:21 »
might it be an idea to add checkboxes to the product page for what games a book supports between BattleTech, BattleForce, AtoW and so on?  Like how the back page of sourcebooks used to?
+1

I know they'd make a few (more) bucks off me if I could easily find ATOW material. 

Now if they could just produce adventures set in the 3rd Succession war... 8)
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2011, 00:54:25 »
so rough and ready conversion imo would be
look at stats, target numbers and saves, and ballpark the chars to get the same saves and target numbers, you should be within 1-2 points on each skill/attribute
What would you specifically do to assign a Fatigue rating, as there is no Will attribute, and Int and Learn don't seem to cover the same aspect of the characters?