Author Topic: Badab Black wash question?  (Read 7354 times)

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
Badab Black wash question?
« on: 09 September 2011, 12:16:04 »
Do you guys use Badab black applied straight or do you use it mixed with future and water?  I've been using it straight, but I'm going through wash at a rapid rate, though my results seem fairly good.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
Re: Badab Black wash question?
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2011, 12:21:41 »
Comes out dark, but does not need to be cut at all.  Pefect black wash in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2011, 12:36:23 by Wolf Reaper »
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2011, 12:29:57 »
It depends on the application for me. If I am wanting dark and heavy shading (i.e. metallics, actuators/joints, etc...) then I apply it straight from the pot. For medium shading (darkening up a base coat or black lining) I thin it a bit by first dipping my brush in flow extender and then the pot of wash. More often than not though I mix it to do overall blackwashes, 1part wash/1 part future/2 parts flow extender. If you want a 'splotchier' look to simulate dirt or scorch marks then use regular water instead of flow extender and future.)

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2011, 13:08:39 »
I have started to use this and have a few ways of using it...

Straight - Just do a whole wash and then go back and panel or highlight as needed
Directed - Full strength but using a small brush only hit the panel lines and joints
Thinned - I use flo-aid to get it to flow into the cracks better it will not give as dark of results but chance of puddling are reduced usually mixed 1:1

Since this came out I have not used any future in my washes it is already really good at settling in the cracks as is.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

ogre

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
    • The Ogre's Mech Depot
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2011, 14:42:33 »
I agree with Gunz and Sounguru.  It can be used straight, but sometimes I cut it as well.  Just depends on the need.
When in doubt, take it out.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2011, 18:35:09 »
I agree with Gunz and Sounguru.  It can be used straight, but sometimes I cut it as well.  Just depends on the need.

Mike, that made us all sound like crack addicts.  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Shi_no_Kami

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2011, 19:13:17 »

I will +1 this as well...

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2011, 08:54:43 »
If I am using Badab Black, I use it straight. For everything else, I use washes from  p3, so I can control my
dilution precisely and not have to buy more of the harder to find anymore eye-dropper-like-things.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2011, 07:17:14 »
I use it Straight. :)

@StCptMara - Have you tried the Secret Weapon Washes?  They come in dropper bottles and they have like 30 colors.

http://blog.secretweaponminiatures.com/
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2011, 09:45:12 »

@StCptMara - Have you tried the Secret Weapon Washes?  They come in dropper bottles and they have like 30 colors.

I have been trying to find someone who has tried these before I invest in a set but they look awesome.

-Gunz

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2011, 10:57:46 »

Good selections of colors and I use chalk all the time as weathering effects which is basically their weathering pigments.
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2011, 23:59:54 »

never heard of them...and my FLGS does not carry them. I make it a rule to buy most of my painting stuff from
my FLGS, since I cannot get my minis from them..

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

billclo

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2011, 05:31:30 »
So what would you guys suggest as a wash for those of us who aren't using the Badab Black?

I've got Reaper Black Ink. I am new to minis painting (well haven't painted in over 30 years), and I just can't seem to get the recipe right. Either it's too dark and the whole mini darkens up too much, or it's too thin and the joints/recesses/lines are blotchy and you can't really see the darkening.

I've been using 1 drop Future, 2-4 drops water, various amounts of black.

My latest attempt at Battle Armor, I stumbled upon a wash that looked good, but I didn't write down exactly what I did.  I'm not sure I can replicate it again, and I'm getting kinda frustrated at the whole wash thing.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2011, 05:39:20 »
The ink is probably to thin for your mix.  I actually have added a couple drops of black paint for the things I want to have a nice dark panel line.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2011, 06:29:52 »
Here a link for Magic Wash. Hope this helps.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2011, 06:54:27 »
and not have to buy more of the harder to find anymore eye-dropper-like-things.

Go to any drugstore (or even the health and beauty section of your local grocery store); you should be able to find an eyedropper pretty easily for under $2.  Check places like 99cent/dollar stores as well.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2011, 07:43:52 »
Go to any drugstore (or even the health and beauty section of your local grocery store); you should be able to find an eyedropper pretty easily for under $2.  Check places like 99cent/dollar stores as well.

Would you believe that around here, they do not carry them in most places you would expect? I got the one I have at wal-mart, but I have
not seen them since I got them. And I still can't get the glass ones like I would like.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2011, 09:51:30 »
So what would you guys suggest as a wash for those of us who aren't using the Badab Black?
You could try the Secret Weapon Washes which have already been mentioned. Vallejo Game Color also has washes. While I normally avoid VGC like the plague the Washes are actually quite usable.

When it comes to mixing washes yourself I must admit that I have never tried using Future or a similar product but I also never felt the need to. For me just using (distilled) water and 'normal' acrylic paint (no inks) works just fine. Sometimes I add a drop of Vallejo Glaze Medium but this is always done without a set rule or method and only when my gut feeling tells me to do it (which is very rarely). My usage of washes might be a little different though as I always use washes very controlled and targeted. I never rarely flood the miniature or just 'slap it on'.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2011, 23:16:42 »
Do you guys use Badab black applied straight or do you use it mixed with future and water?  I've been using it straight, but I'm going through wash at a rapid rate, though my results seem fairly good.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

After a while, it gets kinda old and doesn't apply as well---at which point I add future and water.

Register