Author Topic: Any word on Clan boxset?  (Read 20422 times)

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
Re: Any word on Clan boxset?
« Reply #30 on: 07 November 2011, 08:55:51 »
You know, 20 or 25 Clan 'mechs in the box set - if they are going to be a similar quality to the current box set I would gladly swap them out for five high quality plastic mechs.

I'm painting up my box set plastics atm and I'm not that enamoured with them. Whoever did the high quality plastic 'mechs, I would use them again, even if it means drastically reducing the number of 'mechs available.

If need be, release additional boxes of high quality plastic 'mechs  (just 'mechs, no rules or anything else that will be included in the Clan box set) that don't appear in the boxed set - Clan Light, Med, Hvy and Asslt Stars perhaps.

I don't wish to be negative, but the boxed set did put the 'meh' into 'mechs.

High quality is the way to go, even if it ends up being a little more expensive.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 07 November 2011, 08:57:23 »
Almost definitely 3050, I'd say.  At least with all of the 3050 Omnis.

Plus, any further along, and you're explaining a whole lot more background to new players. Remember, this is the 'next step' from the main box set- throwing them into 3067, for example, would mean needing to explain a whole lot of background. 3050, much less to teach, much less new tech to explain, and if we're being honest, a look at the Clans as they were meant to be rather than as they became post-3060, as they began to become less Clanlike in many ways. In '50, we still have an intact Wolf Clan (no need to explain the fracture), three other strong Clans (six if you want to toss the Cats and Vipers in), and from there they can expand their knowledge as they see fit.

Keep it simple. NEW PLAYERS, remember guys? This box isn't for us- we know the game. This is to get more people to become 'us'. So the less overwhelming detail (which this game has plenty of, remember) we pound on them in their intro to the game, the better.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 07 November 2011, 10:10:34 »
I don't think they know that yet.
If they don't know that yet, it's going to take at least another six months before we see any plastic minis.

Well if they do it right, its going to be full of multiples, one mold for both the summoner and the hellbringer legs, the same with the timber wolf and the mad dogs. Several Arms and weapon pods are also interchangeable. This should bring down costs considerably if they tool several mechs on a sprue to each mold.
You don't really want the headache as a manufactures, that might be interesting with 1/72 kits, but not with these small kits. To many parts that can get sorted in the wrong way, to many parts means additional handling costs, the leg moulds will degrade twice as fast as the torso molds and the added savings is minimal, some additional weapon(arm)s might be nice.

Battleshop has 2 high-quality Lokis for 18 USD. Considering that the Clan Box should contain at least 20 'Mechs, multiply it by ten. Add one or two maps and some printed booklet and you get to 200 USD. That definitely too much.

So if the Clan Box set is really finished, it must contain some cheaper miniatures (made from more parts perhaps); you guessed it - something similar to Intro Box Set ... Of course it will be even more expensive because of new molds, printer files and such things. For Intro Box Set it was possible to re-use existing materials - for Clan Box Set, not so much.
The $18 for two Mechs is one for assembled and one unassembled, assembly costs money. These were web/con exclusives and not intended for general distribution, so small demand, high price. Are you saying that the starter set would be only be $41.99 if the two HQ plastic Mechs weren't included? A mold for 25 Mechs of similar size/complexity is (far) cheaper then 12.5 molds of two Mechs. The more product you make, the cheaper the individual units. Why do you think that companies like Perry Miniatures can produce boxed sets with 40+ 28mm miniatures and ask less the $30 retail?

25 HQ plastic Mechs doesn't make it a $200+ boxed set, but I wouldn't be surprised by a price of $60.

If CGL goes for the LQ plastic, they aren't thinking long term, which is really bad imho.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 07 November 2011, 10:45:01 »
The $18 for two Mechs is one for assembled and one unassembled, assembly costs money. These were web/con exclusives and not intended for general distribution, so small demand, high price. Are you saying that the starter set would be only be $41.99 if the two HQ plastic Mechs weren't included? A mold for 25 Mechs of similar size/complexity is (far) cheaper then 12.5 molds of two Mechs. The more product you make, the cheaper the individual units. Why do you think that companies like Perry Miniatures can produce boxed sets with 40+ 28mm miniatures and ask less the $30 retail?

25 HQ plastic Mechs doesn't make it a $200+ boxed set, but I wouldn't be surprised by a price of $60.

If CGL goes for the LQ plastic, they aren't thinking long term, which is really bad imho.

The price was just a guess to show my opinion that Box set with High-quality miniatures would be much costlier than with standard crude miniatures. I freely admit that I know nothing about miniatures manufacture, but the price of Anniversary Box Set with 24 crude + 2 HQ miniatures was 50 USD. So for additional 10 dollars you would be able to manufacture Clan Box Set with 25 HQ miniatures instead of 24 crude ones? If yes, I'll take two boxes.
And some of those crude ones were assembled too with that terrible Chinese rubber/glue.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #34 on: 07 November 2011, 11:41:06 »
A thought could be that they might be something a bit more then Intro Quality, but less then the HQ.
As pointed out:

So many of them use similar pieces, they can probably save some costs there. Also, really, the Intro Box minis
are not BAD casts..they just are not like the current IWM minis. The current Boxed sets plastic is also much better then
the previous Intro Boxed Set.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #35 on: 07 November 2011, 12:02:35 »
So many of them use similar pieces, they can probably save some costs there. Also, really, the Intro Box minis
are not BAD casts..they just are not like the current IWM minis. The current Boxed sets plastic is also much better then
the previous Intro Boxed Set.

I dunno.  I have both the current box set and the prior box set (the one right before they introduced the HQ plastic Clan mechs), and I thought the current box set plastic non-HQ minis were of lesser quality than before.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 07 November 2011, 12:03:52 »
I dunno.  I have both the current box set and the prior box set (the one right before they introduced the HQ plastic Clan mechs), and I thought the current box set plastic non-HQ minis were of lesser quality than before.

The current set has a softer, easier to clean and work with plastic, though.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 07 November 2011, 12:28:27 »
The percentage of common parts is quite high, so there may be way to cut costs:

Dasher and Koshi - same legs
Uller and Puma - same legs
Black Hawk and Dragonfly - same legs
Mad Cat and Vulture - same legs
Thor and Loki - same legs
Man o' War and Gladiator - same legs
Daishi and Masakari - same legs

Thor and Loki - ER PPC

You actually need to manufacture a half dozen of complete miniatures because torsos for the other half dozen can be assigned to surplus legs.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2011, 12:30:21 by martian »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 07 November 2011, 13:03:05 »
At Gencon, Loren (Coleman) at least left open the possibility of all higher quality box set miniatures.  I believe something along the lines of "that's what we'd like to do". 
www.scrapyardarmory.com has "The hope is for all of the miniatures to be made in High Impact Plastic similar to the Loki and Thor from the regular box set (and also to fantastic looking Leviathans minis). " 
Though Loren also said they hoped the next intro box set would be high quality (also from www.scrapyardarmory.com) "Not this reprint but the one after that, Catalyst hopes to at least partially do away with the soft plastic miniatures in favor of high impact plastic."

(Note: scrapyard armory was paraphrasing what notes i sent in based on my recollections of what Loren said.  the quotes above are me quoting scrapyardarmory.com, they are not direct quotes from Loren or anyone else at CGL.)

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Technoviking

• Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 07 November 2011, 13:21:33 »
You know, 20 or 25 Clan 'mechs in the box set - if they are going to be a similar quality to the current box set I would gladly swap them out for five high quality plastic mechs.

Not me, while I can tell that the Intro Box Mechs aren't nearly as nice as the IW (or the loki and Thor) I like having so many, such a variety.   Like somone mentioned earliet, to have the same Metal Mechs in hand would cost 5 times as much.    I am able to touch these up, and if the Catapult doesn't have Missile holes, or the Trebuchet's gun is pressed flat, I can work around that to have all the cool different looking mechs.

That being said, as a miniature painter, but not a sculpter, its a bummer seeing that some parts are unsalvagable... "I bet that flat mushed place was a missile rack..."

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 07 November 2011, 15:16:24 »
The percentage of common parts is quite high, so there may be way to cut costs:

Dasher and Koshi - same legs
Uller and Puma - same legs
Black Hawk and Dragonfly - same legs
Mad Cat and Vulture - same legs
Thor and Loki - same legs
Man o' War and Gladiator - same legs
Daishi and Masakari - same legs

Thor and Loki - ER PPC

You actually need to manufacture a half dozen of complete miniatures because torsos for the other half dozen can be assigned to surplus legs.

You could almost get away with:
1 tightly packed sprue of torsos
1 sprue of weapons / arms
2 identical sprues of legs.

It helps that IIRC they have CAD files of all the 3020 omnis.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 07 November 2011, 15:37:34 »
Hush! Are you interested, buddy? I have the last one left - sixty bucks for you! First and last offer!

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #42 on: 07 November 2011, 15:40:24 »
The current set has a softer, easier to clean and work with plastic, though.

source?
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

GBL

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 07 November 2011, 20:17:34 »
Hush! Are you interested, buddy? I have the last one left - sixty bucks for you! First and last offer!

Sure, is COD fine?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 07 November 2011, 21:00:05 »
source?

That I have both the previous intro and the anniversary intro boxed set, and that is how I found the plastic of the anniversary intro
set's miniatures?

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: 08 November 2011, 20:55:07 »
Hush! Are you interested, buddy? I have the last one left - ****** ***** *** ***! First and last offer!

Guys - you can't offer to sell or trade stuff on the open forums.  :-\
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

SurfRockSteven

• Corporal
  • Glowin' like the metal on the edge of a knife...
« Reply #46 on: 08 November 2011, 20:59:28 »
Is waiting for this going to be one of those things like waiting for Chinese Democracy to come out or something closer to waiting for the original lineup of G'n'R to reunite?
"The story of civilization is, in a sense, the story of engineering - that long and arduous struggle to make the forces of nature work for man's good."
~L. Sprague de Camp

"Arrr! The laws of science be a harsh mistress."
~Bender Bending Rodriguez

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #47 on: 08 November 2011, 21:18:18 »
Guys - you can't offer to sell or trade stuff on the open forums.  :-\

Kinda hard to sell or trade something that does not yet exist.

Is waiting for this going to be one of those things like waiting for Chinese Democracy to come out or something closer to waiting for the original lineup of G'n'R to reunite?

It will come out when (and if) it comes out...
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

SurfRockSteven

• Corporal
« Reply #48 on: 08 November 2011, 21:32:07 »
Kinda hard to sell or trade something that does not yet exist.

Ever hear of commodities futures?

Game, set, match my friend. 
"The story of civilization is, in a sense, the story of engineering - that long and arduous struggle to make the forces of nature work for man's good."
~L. Sprague de Camp

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 08 November 2011, 23:01:30 »

Well played.

Unfortunately, martian was implying that he had one NOW, which is an impossibility. Now, had he offered to sell one at the time when it comes out (like a futures contract),  then we would have a problem with the Forum rules....
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 09 November 2011, 00:29:28 »
I am really sorry. It was only a joke, unsuccessful attempt to make the atmosphere of this forum easier.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #51 on: 09 November 2011, 00:43:50 »
I am really sorry. It was only a joke, unsuccessful attempt to make the atmosphere of this forum easier.

We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #52 on: 09 November 2011, 01:59:42 »

If it makes you feel any better, I thought it was funny.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #53 on: 09 November 2011, 07:09:48 »

Knock off the attitude. Thanks.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

irashaine1972

« Reply #54 on: 09 November 2011, 09:56:20 »

It will come out when (and if) it comes out...

For a second there I thought I was on a forum pertaining to George R.R. Martins next Song of Ice and Fire novel.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 09 November 2011, 10:12:39 »
For a second there I thought I was on a forum pertaining to George R.R. Martins next Song of Ice and Fire novel.

I am sure there is discussion on that somewhere in one of the Off Topic Forums...

However, that sentiment is the official response to questions of "When will XXXX be out?" "When it is ready."

SurfRockSteven

• Corporal
« Reply #56 on: 09 November 2011, 10:42:58 »
Knock off the attitude. Thanks.

It was just a joke.  Just horsing around.  If the people here can't take a little picture of Kelso saying burn, then theis isn't the place for me.   

Please delete my account.
~L. Sprague de Camp

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #57 on: 09 November 2011, 11:54:42 »
 :o

Easy there Tex.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 09 November 2011, 12:08:51 »
It was just a joke.  Just horsing around.  If the people here can't take a little picture of Kelso saying burn, then theis isn't the place for me.   

Please delete my account.

<shrug>

OK.

Let's get back to the topic at hand shall we?

[copper]

-- William S. Burroughs

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #59 on: 09 November 2011, 12:18:51 »
Great idea. Here, I'll start.

Anyone catch the OTHER piece of art from the Clan set in the 25th Anniversary art book? The tiger-striped Timber Wolves are cool, but... the Mad Dog? I want that image as my desktop.

+Crow T. Robot+

Register