Author Topic: WiGE Tactics  (Read 15639 times)

inq101

Re: WiGE Tactics
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2011, 05:34:50 »
Having said that, contrary to Fireangel's posted links, I don't think WiGEs make useful Main Battle Tanks, bearing in mind the stand-up fighting role normally given to MBTs....
They can do, sort of.  Their speed and mobility means that on the right map they can circle the enemy and reliably use any turret guns.  This isn't the traditional MBT stand-up slugfest tactics but the wigets are still in the middle of the fight like a good MBT.  This isn't quite the Cantabrian Circle, but the principles the same.

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
  • Snarky pedant, extraordinaire.
« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2011, 11:19:17 »
I can see the difference, and picturing the sort of maneuver/counter-maneuver dynamic that I would imagine would be used in a WiGE/WiGE MBT duel on a more-or-less open field (low hills, little to no forest) reminds me of TRON, although an aerospace duel on the ground might be a better comparison.

Yes, I can see that the MBT WiGE is possible.  Might even be affordable from a C-Bill standpoint, but is it worth it from a BV standpoint?  I can also picture a bunch of WiGEs being hammered into dogmeat by a few well placed Ontos missile tanks- slow, but fantastic area denial.  Not really an MBT, but they usually fill that role for me on an open-field game with long sight-lines.

inq101

« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2011, 11:59:22 »
...although an aerospace duel on the ground might be a better comparison.
That works, though the WiGE can always land and manouver, then take off again if it has to.

Yes, I can see that the MBT WiGE is possible.  Might even be affordable from a C-Bill standpoint, but is it worth it from a BV standpoint?  I can also picture a bunch of WiGEs being hammered into dogmeat by a few well placed Ontos missile tanks- slow, but fantastic area denial.  Not really an MBT, but they usually fill that role for me on an open-field game with long sight-lines.
But there'll always situations that a unit can't handle.  Those Ontos are useless if rapid redeployment is needed, can't be used for pursuit, etc.  Plus the WiGE can close the range FAST.

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2011, 12:15:48 »
Agreed, WiGEs are going to be fantastic for rapid-deployment, but that only comes up in A) Ridiculously large mapsheet games, and B) Tactical warfare, (which doesn't get used all *that* often).

Not that you aren't making a good point, because you are.  I'm just speaking from a "forces already deployed and meeting in the field" standpoint, and from that standpoint I think the Ontos, or LRM carrier- or other long-ranged, well armoured, slow doodad- is going to be cheaper than the WiGE and equally good at controlling an open battlefield.  Even if the WiGEs close the range fast, a staggered formation of Ontos means that they can support each other, and unless the WiGE's are stopping, they're going to *open* the range pretty fast too- then they catch 60 LRMs in the rear armour.

*pop.*

Edit- This does assume BV balancing, in a "ground-combat" scale game, rather than "tactical."  Also, removed nonsense.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2011, 12:29:03 by NightmareSteel »

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #34 on: 08 March 2011, 20:26:48 »

Having said that, contrary to Fireangel's posted links, I don't think WiGEs make useful Main Battle Tanks, bearing in mind the stand-up fighting role normally given to MBTs.  Their high speed means that they'll make good flankers, harrassers, and pursuit tanks, as mentioned above, especially given the vulnerability of their motive systems.  I suspect that they'll come into their own on great big maps, especially with raid scenarios and chase scenarios

Oh, I agree. A "true" MBT needs more than just massive armour to survive; it must be able to retain its mobility in combat, however, that being said, the whole point of the WiGE "MBT"s (note the title's tongue-in-cheek nature) is that they are capable of being air deployed directly into combat and offer unsurpassed flexibility in combat. The tradeoff for this superior deployability/mobility is a more delicate motive system. These WiGE's were never designed as a stand-alone system; note the inclusion of infantry at the lowest level of organization and lighter APC WiGEs in the same thread.

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 09 March 2011, 05:54:47 »
That wasn't a hit on you or your designs, I promise.  The flexibility and speed they provide are impressive.  I was referring to role, that's all.  The flexibility you describe does make them good raiders, flankers and pursuers, especially with that airdrop capability.  The infantry bays give them some "take and hold" ability as well- but not to the degree that a tracked armour platoon, including APC units, would IMO.  But that is opinion, and that same tracked platoon has nothing like the same level of responsiveness.

verybad

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 09 March 2011, 16:34:35 »
They perform a classic cavalry role. Mechs and Tanks are both more solid, surviveable units, but the WIGEs have inignorable capabilities that can be useful to a battlefield commander. I see the Davions expeicially liking these as they like combined units and have taken a hankering to larger BA deployments.

Using these to deploy BA's en masse while providing support seems like a nice use. An artillery version is needed :)

Of course I would not be adverse to the MH taking a shine to WIGEs but refering to them as GravTanks...
Let Miley lick the hammers!

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 09 March 2011, 18:59:31 »
Agreed.  Tracked armour will, I think, continue to dominate the urban environment, while WiGEs have a vastly superior open field advantage.  A WiGE blitzkrieg supported by WiGE BAPCs could have a devastating effect.

WiGE BAPCs could provide an outstanding advantage in urban terrain as well, quickly delivering battle armour strike teams to vulnerable positions or unguarded objectives, or providing reinforcements to a beleaguered position.

A WiGE caravan has less to worry about as far as getting boxed in, as well.  You can barricade a road with tanks, cars, wreckage, whatever, but WiGEs can go over most barricades, yes?

Mention of turret-based weaponry has already been made- are there any canon designs that use a (light) Gauss turret?  That seems like it might be the optimal weapon for open-field WiGEs.  Mount some C3(i) some nasty teamwork, and you've got a good platform.

Thoughts?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #38 on: 09 March 2011, 20:16:17 »
A WiGE caravan has less to worry about as far as getting boxed in, as well.  You can barricade a road with tanks, cars, wreckage, whatever, but WiGEs can go over most barricades, yes?

They can go over obstacles that manage not to rise two levels.

Mention of turret-based weaponry has already been made- are there any canon designs that use a (light) Gauss turret?  That seems like it might be the optimal weapon for open-field WiGEs.  Mount some C3(i) some nasty teamwork, and you've got a good platform.

There are, at this point, three canon combat vehicle WiGEs and a few support vehicles (mostly with very light armament if any).  As was noted earlier in the thread, the only combat unit to use a turret is the Pandion, which is rather small to be mounting a Gauss rifle, even an LGR.  At least two Fensalir variants mount Gauss weapons (an HGR and a HAG) in the forward arc, however.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2011, 20:17:57 by Moonsword »

Register