Author Topic: AToW Spreadsheet  (Read 21792 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: AToW Spreadsheet
« Reply #30 on: 11 December 2011, 19:29:17 »
Right, but we're not buying with the top line package cost.  We're entering each individual line item, so in effect, the negative traits from the modules do go into the XP pool.  After adding everything up, yes, the ComStar affiliation will cost 50XP, but in the interim steps, the positive costs are separate from the negatives.  Right?

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 12 December 2011, 02:12:56 »
Right, but we're not buying with the top line package cost.  We're entering each individual line item, so in effect, the negative traits from the modules do go into the XP pool.  After adding everything up, yes, the ComStar affiliation will cost 50XP, but in the interim steps, the positive costs are separate from the negatives.  Right?

Not really sure where you're going....

You itemize all module XP, + and -, individually in rows in columns A and B. Personally, I don't include flex from field rebate here since it would add to my module subtotal (but in the end it doesn't make a difference since the field rebates are added into the starting XP Pool in the balance sheet as long as the goal is to get XP Balance to 0). I see field rebates as simply increasing the starting XP Pool from 5,000 to 5,060, not as 'flex'.

(Field rebates actually INCREASE your total XP build cost, while Flex is just XP from your modules that you've bought that can be spent how you like. Aging effects can increase the total XP build cost, too. But negative traits do not increase this. I hesitate to use 'xp pool' here, because when you take negative traits, you think of it as giving XP into your pool. But don't confuse this as increasing the ending cost of your build. They're a simple trade - take some more bad stuff to pick up some more good stuff. The total end cost of the build is unaffected.)

Then the spreadsheet aggregates A and B into rows in columns E and F. These are now your starting point before optimising.  If you simply stopped here and subtracted the subtotal from column F from 5060, you'd have the remainder of your XP pool. Column H does the next step of optimizing the values in column F; neg traits go down to their first activated level, giving you back the additional xp required to do so. Positive stuff shaves off the XP above the current activated level. All this XP in effect lowers the initial cost of your modules, giving them back into the XP Pool (increasing the XP balance at the end of the balance sheet) and allowing you to reallocate it elsewhere.

Simple example. Give yourself a starting XP Pool of 100. Buy a 100XP module that has trait A of -75, trait B of +75 and trait C of +100 (all Column F). XP Pool is now 0. Trait A optimizes to -100, giving you back 25 XP (Column I) to your pool. Pool is now +25. Trait B optimizes to 0, giving you back 75 XP (Column I) to your pool. Pool is now +100. Trait C is already optimized. You now have +100 XP to spend.

Edit: Spent some time at work during break making some changes to hopefully make more clear exactly what's happening. START XP is from modules, OPTIMIZE is the amount to optimize per the rules, SUBTOTAL is the XP after this, and SPEND is now any changes you want to make post optmization. END XP shows how much XP you have in the stat at the end of this process.

Added bonus: this lets my original equation for the non-mod neg trait work properly without further tweaks. :D

I'll replace my v2 in the earlier post with this v3. Note: I've done this in Excel at work, so hopefully it didn't mess with it working in OpenOffice. Will check when I'm home later.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2011, 11:06:55 by Calan »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 12 December 2011, 20:56:54 »
Long day today... It may be a few before I can circle back, but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 14 December 2011, 02:32:12 »
Another update - looks if you've +3 in fast learner or -3 in slow learner and auto calcs skills. But I realized some might have both, and didn't cover this yet - right now it assumes if you have +3 in fast, that you're fast even if you have -6 in slow. Will come back to that.

Also tried custom formatting the END XP columns to red when you end with excess PC, which the sheet allows you to do. But custom formatting with complicate functions seems to be a bit hit and miss in OO. I updated my version last night and it's better, but still a bit off at times...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 14 December 2011, 05:40:07 »
Just a quick note before I go to work:  the example you gave doesn't seem to distinguish between module and non-module negative traits, in that non-module ones increase the top line, while module associated ones don't.  I think that was the axle I wrapped myself around originally.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 14 December 2011, 08:38:16 »
Just a quick note before I go to work:  the example you gave doesn't seem to distinguish between module and non-module negative traits, in that non-module ones increase the top line, while module associated ones don't.  I think that was the axle I wrapped myself around originally.

There really isn't any difference between the two, other than a limit on how much negative XP you can take out of module. Neither increases the total build cost.

If you take my earlier short example, if after optimising you pick up new Trait D at -100, you get +100 XP back into your pool to spend elsewhere. So you've now 200 XP to spend (100 leftover from optimization, another 100 from putting -100 into a trait). But again, the base cost is still 100 XP, not 200 XP (Trait A + B + C + D = -100 + 0 + 100 -100 = -100 currently allocated, with 200 still to spend).

Another update: fixed fast/slow so if you have both traits, it takes the higher and, if high enough to activate, calcs skill costs accordingly. Because conditional formatting wasn't allowing me to do what I wanted, I added another column at the end, SURPLUS, to help flag if you're not optimised after SPEND.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2011, 16:01:50 by Calan »

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 14 December 2011, 16:00:23 »
Fixed tiny issue with the SURPLUS lookup for skills of 'none'.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2011, 17:11:35 by Calan »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 14 December 2011, 18:27:16 »
There really isn't any difference between the two, other than a limit on how much negative XP you can take out of module. Neither increases the total build cost.
I agree neither increases the base XP you start with, but I think adding non-module negative traits does increase your total cost.  5,500 XP is substantially different than 5,000.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 15 December 2011, 02:35:05 »
I agree neither increases the base XP you start with, but I think adding non-module negative traits does increase your total cost.  5,500 XP is substantially different than 5,000.

But it doesn't! :-)

Adding any negative trait gives you an equal amount of positive XP to spend elsewhere - but they balance each other out. How this works is explained in the 'buying additional experience points' section on pp. 88-89. E.g., 'a player can opt to increase his character's XPs by adding (or enhancing) negative Traits to the character's design.' What's is assumed here is that this is a one-to-one basis (for every negative point you get one positive back) and the example clarifies this, 'she chooses to take two negative traits: In For Life (a -3 trait) and a -2 TP Dark Secret Trait.... These traits are worth -500 XPs, which are added back to the XP Pool.'

So you're increasing the XP pool (which is always in flux), but not the 'total XP cost' of your character, which is what the build is worth at the end, positives and negatives combined. The above transaction 'canceled out' - it had no effect on the base cost - it's still a 5,060 XP build, not 5,560.

This should be utilized as a check at the end of character build, which is why I use it in the balance sheet. When you sum the final XP of all the stats you take, they should total the base cost (5,060 in this case). If it comes out higher, there's a problem.

Yes, the sum of just your positive stuff will be considerably higher the more negative stuff you take - but once you minus off the negative stuff, it must total the original base XP + field costs + aging.

Let's go back to the simple example, including buying Trait D at the end.

Step 1: 100 starting XP
Step 2: Buy 100 XP module (Trait A -75, Trait B +75, Trait C +100 = 100 XP module)
Step 3: Optimize: +25 XP to the pool from Trait A, +75 XP to the pool from Trait B.
Step 4: Spend: Pool is now +100 XP. Buy Trait D for -100 XP, putting another +100 into the pool. You've now +200 XP to spend from your pool. To use up the XP, let's put that 200 XP into Trait C, making it +300. XP Pool is now 0.

Do you agree with the numbers so far? If not, what do you disagree with?

What would you say the total XP cost of the build is at this point? I say 100 XP, but I think you're saying it's 200XP?

If Trait A/B/C/D were valid names with steps -100, 0, +100, +200, +300, this is how it'd appear in the spreadsheet now:

Traits  Start   Opt  SubT  Spend   End XP   End Val 
---------------------------------------------------
Trait A   -75   -25  -100      0    -100      -1
Trait B    75   -75     0      0       0       0 
Trait C   100     0   100    200     300       3 
Trait D     0     0     0   -100    -100      -1

Adding the ending XP confirms the total build cost is +100.

If you disagree, what numbers do you think should be different?
« Last Edit: 15 December 2011, 16:24:32 by Calan »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 15 December 2011, 18:51:18 »
What would you say the total XP cost of the build is at this point? I say 100 XP, but I think you're saying it's 200XP?
That's exactly what I'm saying.

I think we're reading this sentence differently:
...'a player can opt to increase his character's XPs by adding (or enhancing) negative Traits to the character's design.' ...
When I see "increase the character's XPs", I think that means the top line is now higher, i.e. 5,500 vice 5,000.

This issue aside, I think you're making some great improvements!  My shortest day so far this week has been 10 hours, and I've been coming home too burnt to make meaningful contributions, but I think I'll have time this weekend (assuming my wife doesn't have things for me to do).

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 16 December 2011, 04:12:31 »
That's exactly what I'm saying.

I think we're reading this sentence differently:When I see "increase the character's XPs", I think that means the top line is now higher, i.e. 5,500 vice 5,000.

Not sure what more I can say than that you're wrong about this... When they say increase the character's XP, they're talking about the current XP pool, which is constantly changing during the build process, and which, at the end, is 0 once you've spent everything. But that doesn't mean the total build cost of the character is 0 XP.

The only things that *don't* require putting negative points somewhere in order to increase the XP pool are field rebates and attribute increases through age (I'm not sure where you're getting the +100 XP to flex per year over 21?). This is why they're the only things that actually increase the total build cost.

Between the book and the samples, including the quotes I've given, it's very clear - if you decrease a negative trait enough to activate it's next level, you get an equal amount of positive XP to spend elseware. And since -100 XP + 100 XP = 0 XP, this trade doesn't actually effect the ending cost of the build. The whole point of the process is to provide a start XP cost (e.g., 5000xp) and get builds that are balanced at the end. I'm curious as to where you think the rules say if you put -100 XP into a trait you get +200 XP to spend?

Think about positive traits (or atts, or skills) - if you want to improve them (which is GOOD for you), you decrease your pool by a certain amount. This doesn't decrease your total build cost - just the current level of your pool. Likewise, if you 'improve' a negative trait (which is BAD for you), you increase your pool by the same amount. But again this doesn't increase your total build cost - just your pool. The GOOD and the BAD here cancel each other out.

If you don't believe me, take the Mechwarrior sample build provided in the book, which the rules walk you through building step by step - including negative traits - and total up the ending cost of her TPs - you'll see she's a 5,060 XP, not 5,560 XP build.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 16 December 2011, 05:47:03 »
... I'm curious as to where you think the rules say if you put -100 XP into a trait you get +200 XP to spend?
You're right, there... it should only be +100 XP, but I still think non-module negative traits should be added to the top line when calculating character cost because a 5,000 XP character without 500 XP of negative traits is substantially different than one with.  I think I just screwed up the accounting.

...(I'm not sure where you're getting the +100 XP to flex per year over 21?)...
AToW p. 49, under "Starting Allotments": "At the gamemaster's discretion, however, this amount can be adjusted by +100 XPs for every year of age over this baseline [21 for Inner Sphere, 18 for Clan], or -100 XPs for every year of age under it."  Referring back to the issue above, does adding +100 XP for being 26 add +200 XP to spend?

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 16 December 2011, 08:00:48 »
You're right, there... it should only be +100 XP, but I still think non-module negative traits should be added to the top line when calculating character cost because a 5,000 XP character without 500 XP of negative traits is substantially different than one with.  I think I just screwed up the accounting.

Definitely! That character will have substantially more positive stats in attributes, traits and skills than a character with few or no negative traits. BUT when you subtract off the negative stuff to determine what the final build actually cost you, you'll find the negative-heavy build is balanced with the negative-light one. The negative heavy isn't 'better', because the negative light one has fewer bad traits. But the player making the negative-heavy build decided the benefit of having more positive stuff outweighs the negative stuff he had to pick up to get there.

Again, take the sample MechWarrior build in the book, calculate the cost of her final TPs and you'll find it's 5,060 XP (I even confirmed this this morning  ;)). I don't have the book at work, but I think she had a total of -6 TP in negative traits. If so, that means all her positive stuff summed to 5,660 XP. If instead her build didn't have *any* negative stuff, she could've only had 5,060 in positive stuff. There's your significant difference. *But* you haven't yet considered the first build's negative stuff. Minus that out, and you'll find you're back to 5,060. The two builds are balanced - the total cost of either is 5,060.

AToW p. 49, under "Starting Allotments": "At the gamemaster's discretion, however, this amount can be adjusted by +100 XPs for every year of age over this baseline [21 for Inner Sphere, 18 for Clan], or -100 XPs for every year of age under it."  Referring back to the issue above, does adding +100 XP for being 26 add +200 XP to spend?

Thanks for the reference! But confused about your example... For inner sphere, surely 26 would be +500 XP?

Definitely adds to the total cost of the end build, because this +500 isn't balanced by taking -500 XP elseware. It is added on top. (Plus any attribute bonuses.)

Think of this as XP you've gained from adventuring - this build IS worth more than a green one.

What the devs are saying is a 21 yo has a base cost of 5,000 (plus any field rebates), while a 22 yo has a base cost of 5,100. A 22 yo does have more starting XP than a 21 yo.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2011, 08:22:41 by Calan »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 16 December 2011, 16:47:57 »
Yes, 25 was a typo.  That's what I get for posting that early in the morning.  :P

As for the sample character, are you saying she has -600 XP in non-module negative traits?  Because module traits are only limited by the modules you take.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 16 December 2011, 17:44:35 »
Yes, 25 was a typo.  That's what I get for posting that early in the morning.  :P

As for the sample character, are you saying she has -600 XP in non-module negative traits?  Because module traits are only limited by the modules you take.

I'm saying it doesn't matter whether the negative traits are module or not. When you look at a final build, can you tell which were from a module? No. All you can do is total up all the points and see what the cost of the build actually is. But for the sake of argument, yes, of that build's ending negative traits, -50 XP were picked up in modules, -50 applied during optimization, and the remaining -500 'bought' during the 'buying additional experience points' phase. This is all clearly explained in the examples. And total all of that character's ending FPs, positive and negative, and it's a 5,060 build.

I think you're misunderstanding the rules requirement limiting you to taking no more than 10% of the build cost in negative traits during this last phase. But this counts for new traits (i.e., those picked up after optimization) just as much as it counts for negative traits you picked up from modules:

Quote from: Page 88 of the rules
During this final phase in character creation (or when using the alternative points-only creation method described on p.51), a player can opt to increase his character's XPs by adding (or enhancing) negative Traits to the characters design.... The maximum number of XPs that can be gained using this method is equal to 10 percent of the XPs originally allotted to the character's design.

Nothing here (or anywhere!) about 'non-module negative traits'. This rule applies to both new (what's meant by 'adding' negative traits) and existing (what's meant by 'enhancing' negative traits).  And this is clearly a trade, not a bonus (like field rebate/aging): the player can 'increase... XPs by adding (or enhancing) negative Traits .' So the player can increase his remaining XPs by picking up to 10% additional points in negative traits (just he will ultimately decrease them by spending XPs on atts, traits and skills), but the total ending cost of the build is unaffected. Whether you take advantage of this rule or not, the total cost of the build at the end is the same.

You do see in my previous post where I point out that, yes, a build that takes lots of negative traits ends up with more positive stats than a build that doesn't? And how this doesn't affect the final cost of the build? Build 1: 5,560 in positives, -500 in negatives. Build 2: 5,060 in positives, 0 in negatives. One clearly has more 'positives' than the other, but the negatives make Build 1 balanced (i.e., same ending cost) with Build 2.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2011, 17:57:26 by Calan »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #45 on: 16 December 2011, 22:33:25 »
I think the problem is that optimization comes before that step.  Since this is a bit confusing just to be be clear that 10% maximum does not count anything you gain from the modules or optimizing of said traits from modules.  That section on Page 88 means if you ended module build and optimization with Enemy -100 XP you can only raise that to Enemy-600 XP and still receive full points from it.

That's why in my spreadsheet I make no attempt to control maximum amount of negative traits and hold it to player honor and GM approval.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 17 December 2011, 03:41:41 »
I think the problem is that optimization comes before that step.  Since this is a bit confusing just to be be clear that 10% maximum does not count anything you gain from the modules or optimizing of said traits from modules.  That section on Page 88 means if you ended module build and optimization with Enemy -100 XP you can only raise that to Enemy-600 XP and still receive full points from it.

That's why in my spreadsheet I make no attempt to control maximum amount of negative traits and hold it to player honor and GM approval.

Definitely. That's why in the changes I made, I've added columns to split optimisation xp from spend xp: so you can easily see how much you spent in neg traits post optimisation.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 17 December 2011, 06:09:48 »
Daryk,

I've had a very close look at your spreadsheet again and we're also having a problem with semantics, which I might've been too loose with in the beginning of the thread. Let's clarify a few things. (skip to the bold near the bottom to see where the real problem is in the sheet).

Base XP: The value of the XP Pool before you start (pre-stage 0). Bonus in the form of field rebates and aging may be added to this; XP gained from negative traits *isn't*, because these XP are canceled out by taking the negative trait in the first place.

XP Pool: The current balance remaining in your XP pool at any stage of the build process. Pre stage 0, this will be Base XP. Post build, this will be 0.

Ending Build Cost: At the end of the build process, the is the summed value of ending TP converted back into XP. This will equal the Base XP plus any bonuses (i.e., field rebates and aging bonuses).

TOTAL - in your spreadsheet, you have a TOTAL cell in the balance sheet. I think this is what you think of when I say 'ending build cost.' But looking closely at the calculations, these aren't the same thing. Your TOTAL is just a sum of the cells above it. And, yes, because of the way you have your calculations (in particular the IF), you MUST add that very specific 'non-module negative traits' cell into your TOTAL to get things to balance at the end. But don't confuse this to think it means your Base XP (or ending build cost) is being increased, because it isn't. My spreadsheet uses that 'non-module negative traits' cell purely to confirm you haven't picked up too much XP by taking negative traits post-optimization.

--

Now, in your spreadsheet you have a cell called 'non-module negative trait', which only recently I've understood you take quite literally, and which you use differently than I realised.

I originally assumed you meant this to be 'XP spent in negative traits post-optimization', which isn't easy to word. There isn't any rules reason to track XP spent in *just* new negative traits, but there is a rules reason to track XP spent in neg traits post-optimization: so that you don't recover more than 10% of your Base XP at this stage, which is why I thought you had it in your spreadsheet (and why I left it in, but use it differently). But even in your sheet, it does not increase Base XP; you simply need it to help balance out because of your other calculations, the IF in particular.

I provided a very short sample build in a table in an earlier post, asking you to point out whether you agree/disagree. You didn't respond to that, so I'm not really sure what you're saying is wrong with my adjustments to the spreadsheet. However, I can point you to what's still wrong with your updated copy if we plug in the same build.

First I'll define what I think the columns in your sheet do:

XP: this is the ending XP in various stats after buying modules, but before optimization and spend phases.
Spent: this attempts to increase/decrease the XP column based on how much you input, which makes it a post-optimization step.
Remainder: this is what happens to the XP Pool - but not Base XP! This one's a bit tricky, as it attempts to optimize the sum of XP + Spent, but doesn't optimize module-acquired negative traits correctly, as I'll explain.

So, let's plug my sample build into your last updated sheet. Clear all stats/values (including attributes), plug 100 into the base XP, and the three traits/XP bought in the 100 XP module into columns A/B. Then plug the traits into column E to get the auto calcs started. This is what you're left with (and where the problem first appears):

Traits    XP    Spent   Value   Remainder
------------------------------------------
Trait A   -75             -1      +75
Trait B   +75              0      +75
Trait C  +100              1        0

Now, the spreadsheet clearly attempts to optimize if you leave SPENT blank: Trait B correctly shows a VALUE of 0 and REMAINDER of 75, which reflects that the XP that was lost by buying the module (which decreased the XP pool) has now been returned to the XP pool.

But Trait A is a problem. It's apparently optimized, since the value is -1, but REMAINDER is incorrect: it should be +25, not +75, because you gain +25 XP back into the pool by lowering Trait A to -100, not +75xp. By putting +75 XP back into the pool, it's putting 50 XP more than it should, which means you end up spending more than you should.

This is confirmed if you look at your balance sheet at the bottom: it shows a remained of 150, when it should just be 100 at this point. So if you carried on spending to lower your TOTAL REMAINDER to 0, you will have spent 50 XP more than you should have!

Even if you try to manually optimise Trait A by putting -25 into SPENT, the REMAINDER is only adds 25 to the already incorrect +75. So the Build XP is still incorrectly increased by +50 XP at this stage.

Let's continue to the SPEND stage, adding Trait D and spending the 200 XP that *should* be left at this stage:

Trait C  +100              1        0
Trait D         -100      -1     +100

At first glance, this is a-ok. You put -100 XP into D (which means your character now has something bad he didn't have before), which got you +100 XP into your pool to spend elsewhere. The balance sheet isn't ok yet, though, since it hasn't yet 'picked up' that you've gone -100 XP into a negative trait, because none of you balance sheet looks at SENT.

You compensate for this with the 'non-module negative traits' cell, which you use to adjust TOTAL. But here TOTAL *isn't* the 'ending build cost' (in other words, the base xp after adjusted with bonuses)! It's simply a subtotal of the above cells, and doesn't directly relate to XP Pool or Base XP.*

So let's continue with the build and spend the remaining +200 XP (from optimisation and from adding Trait D):

Trait C  +100   +200       3     -200
Trait D         -100      -1     +100

We're back to the ending values in my earlier post that were balanced, but your sheet still says I have +50 remaining to spend. That's the same +50 from the earlier incorrect optimization of Trait A.

So here's where the real problem is in your spreadsheet, then: not the 'non module negative traits' cell or the totals you derive from it, which do correctly balance out in your sheet, but with any negative traits you picked up from modules that weren't already optimised at the end of buying modules are adding on too much XP back to the pool, which is incorrectly increasing the Base XP of the build!

You can see how big a problem this is by changing the original module to this: Trait A -175, Trait B +175, Trait C +100. This is still a +100 XP module, but plug it in and you'll see that the incorrect extra +50 XP has now jumped to an incorrect extra +150 XP!

This is happening because of that IF in column I. Take it out, and this now calculates properly. Which also means you can stop adding the 'non module negative traits' cell into your TOTAL, which no longer actually effects the balance sheet (it cancels itself out) which will then make that TOTAL = Base Build + bonuses. This is essentially what I've done, in addition to adding additional columns to make each step a bit more clear. That's why I removed the IF in the first place, and why I didn't understand why the 'non mod neg trait' cell was being used in the balance sheet, since it was cancelling itself out once I removed the IF.

---

*You can see this now by converting the ending TP to XP and adding it up: -1 + 3, -1 = -100 + 300 - 100 = 100, which correctly equals the Base XP! So in this build the ending build cost does correctly equal the base XP of 100 XP. Your TOTAL field says 200, but again, that's not the ending build cost - that was 100XP.

So the we had a bit of a problem with semantics. When you said the non mod neg traits increase the total build cost and I said they didn't, we've actually been talking about different things. You mean they increase the TOTAL cell in your sheet, which it must because of the way the your calculations work. While I meant they don't increase what the build is actually worth at the end.
« Last Edit: 17 December 2011, 08:07:44 by Calan »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #48 on: 17 December 2011, 10:39:01 »
You know splitting optimization and free spending into two columns is something I hadn't even thought about but I really should have.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 18 December 2011, 03:41:21 »
You know splitting optimization and free spending into two columns is something I hadn't even thought about but I really should have.

Thanks! I thought it important (for my own piece of mind) to see exactly what's happening to the XP Pool each phase in the process, so I could at a glance understand understand what's happening where. And it really simplified tracking of the neg xp allocated in the buy phase, which was an added bonus.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 18 December 2011, 11:02:41 »
Now that I've finally caught up on sleep, I see you put yourself through the mental gymanstics I did when I first built the sheet, but it looks like you're coming out with the right answer vice mine.  I definitely agree we were having a semantics problem, and I think we're past that now.  So, where to from here?  I still need to download your latest version and parse through it, and I'm wondering if we can keep it a bit cleaner.  Just based on your posts, it sounds like you've added a few extra columns that may or may not be necessary (but I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to look it over).

And sorry for the long delay in responding.  My week ended with driving a hundred miles or so (after a full day's work) to buy a used car for my son, followed by dealing with the DMV to get it registered and such yesterday.  After all that, mindless entertainment and sleep were all I could manage.

EDIT: And before I forget, if you PM me an e-mail address, I'll send you the sheet where I've been entering in all the modules and fields (assuming you haven't done so already).  I didn't post that version because Herb (the line developer) asked me to minimize the amount of "verbatim material" I posted.

EDIT 2:
    Format-wise, the 45-degree text threw me at first, because the angled lines align almost exactly with the next columns over.  I think vertical alignment will work better.
     At first glance the optimization and subtotal columns looked unnecessary, but when I hid both of them, it became obvious why you had them. Then I tried hiding just the subtotal column, and I think the sheet still makes sense (because "End XP" is essentially a dynamic subtotal) and looks cleaner.  What do you think?
     I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just make the "End Value" the manually entered field, and calculate the XP costs backward from there.
     A general question: were you trying to eliminate all references to "Flex" XP?  If so, it looks like you missed one (under Blue Collar).  If not, what happened to the Flex under Tour of Duty (it looks like you spent them on specific things in column A).  The reason I went the "Flex" route was to simplify spending it (i.e. so you wouldn't have to think about throwing 10 XP at a skill in column A).
     I also found the up front optimization of each line item making me look at skills differently (i.e. when a 15 point skill is pre-optimized, you realize you're really paying 20XP to get it to level 0, as opposed to seeing it as "just five more" to get it there).  I think that effect somewhat lessens the intent of the developers in putting those "partial" skills into modules in the first place.
     Idle speculation: I wonder if we can build an IF that will determine minimum Attribute requirements.  Most of those requirements are field driven, so I think it's doable.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2011, 11:56:59 by Daryk »

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 18 December 2011, 16:33:26 »
And sorry for the long delay in responding.  My week ended with driving a hundred miles or so (after a full day's work) to buy a used car for my son, followed by dealing with the DMV to get it registered and such yesterday.  After all that, mindless entertainment and sleep were all I could manage.

No worries - I certainly left a weekend's worth of posts to read through! :-D

So, where to from here?  I still need to download your latest version and parse through it, and I'm wondering if we can keep it a bit cleaner.  Just based on your posts, it sounds like you've added a few extra columns that may or may not be necessary (but I'll reserve judgment until I've had a chance to look it over).

Yep, I added some columns mostly for clarity, but also to simplify some of the formula gymnastics I was finding myself moving towards. Getting the standard/fast/slow learning to work properly was a bit of a mind twister... In the end I had to write it out in shorthand first to get the logic right.

Where to go - if you're happy where things are, you're more than welcome to take the current version I'm using, 3.4 (attached). I've just made some changes based on semantics. I plan to make some more changes to for equipment and also a printable sheet at the end... I'll post back here if you've like these updates once I've done. :-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 18 December 2011, 17:20:59 »
I've started tweaking v3.4, but found the Attribute Modifiers to Skills lookup isn't working (your Mod column is 1-2 lower than it should be all the way down).  I haven't seen a difference between our forumulae, so I'm not sure why yours is returning penalties for a 4's and 5's.  Also, any comments on my edited in comments above?

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #53 on: 19 December 2011, 08:05:16 »
Format-wise, the 45-degree text threw me at first, because the angled lines align almost exactly with the next columns over.  I think vertical alignment will work better.

I moved from horizontal to thin the columns since I was adding some - didn't try vertical, sounds good to me!

Then I tried hiding just the subtotal column, and I think the sheet still makes sense (because "End XP" is essentially a dynamic subtotal) and looks cleaner.  What do you think?

Personally, I prefer it with the subtotal, because that's what's being adjusted by the SPEND. It saves me from having to add START and OPTIMIZE in my head before deciding what to do in SPEND. I like the manual SPEND column because it directly relates to what you're doing to the XP Pool at that stage.

I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't just make the "End Value" the manually entered field, and calculate the XP costs backward from there.

That could work, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. It could also lead to people inadvertantly putting negative XP into ATTS/SKILLS during the buy phase, which you're really not meant to do.

A general question: were you trying to eliminate all references to "Flex" XP?  If so, it looks like you missed one (under Blue Collar).  If not, what happened to the Flex under Tour of Duty (it looks like you spent them on specific things in column A).  The reason I went the "Flex" route was to simplify spending it (i.e. so you wouldn't have to think about throwing 10 XP at a skill in column A).

Nope to the elimination... but I only put in FLEX when it was completely without restriction. I'm at work so can't reference those specific examples, but there are times when you can only use the 'free' XP in certain ways. If you put that 'restricted' XP into FLEX, you can end up using it where it wasn't meant to be.

I also found the up front optimization of each line item making me look at skills differently (i.e. when a 15 point skill is pre-optimized, you realize you're really paying 20XP to get it to level 0, as opposed to seeing it as "just five more" to get it there).  I think that effect somewhat lessens the intent of the developers in putting those "partial" skills into modules in the first place.

Afraid I disagree here... If you end the module phase with 10 XP in a skill, the devs don't require or even expect you to put 10 more into it to take it at level 0. Same with ending at 40 XP; I don't have to spend another 10 XP if I don't want to, the rules say I get the surplus XP back to the pool. I think the rules are very clear in how you optimize positive stuff - you remove the excess XP - and if the intent was to make you spend it, that would have been the rule.

In my current build, for instance, of the 33 skills I picked up from modules, 27 were optimizable for a total of 335 XP back into my pool. After this phase, I only chose to increase 10 of the skills. If the spreadsheet required me to pick up the XP, I'd have much less to spend in the skills I was interested in.

I see your point that if you're going to increase a skill that was optimized, it seems as if the optmize was a waste. But I found it very helpful to see OPTIMIZE and SPEND separately rather than trying to combine them into one column.

Idle speculation: I wonder if we can build an IF that will determine minimum Attribute requirements.  Most of those requirements are field driven, so I think it's doable.

Could do - but probably a lot more to go into your Data Tables sheet! And don't forget minimum traits! :-) Since there's so much manual input alread during the module phase, it's not a big deal to simply manuall track those ATT and TRAIT requirements.

I've started tweaking v3.4, but found the Attribute Modifiers to Skills lookup isn't working (your Mod column is 1-2 lower than it should be all the way down).  I haven't seen a difference between our forumulae, so I'm not sure why yours is returning penalties for a 4's and 5's.  Also, any comments on my edited in comments above?

To be honest, I hadn't even looked at that before! Will do and come back and edit this bit of the post.

EDIT: Ahh! I apparently cleared out cells D3:D10 at some point. You had 'invisible' numbers there used for indexing in the MOD expression. Put them back in and it should be ok. Might be better to use an OFFSET here instead... The holidays (end, um, SWTOR) mean this'll be a bit busy for me, but will try to have a look at using OFFSET here.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2011, 08:35:13 by Calan »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #54 on: 19 December 2011, 10:39:19 »
Something tells me calan's head would explode if he tried to decipher my sheet.

But yeah there'd be a bit of an entry for tables if you wanted to automate the caste, module, and field attribute minimums.  The functions involved would actually be pretty simple.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 19 December 2011, 18:36:16 »
OFFSET?  What's that?  Off to the Excel help...

EDIT: I don't think OFFSET will do the trick.  The invisible numbers were a workaround for the LOOKUP function requirement that the range be in ascending order.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2011, 18:55:25 by Daryk »

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #56 on: 20 December 2011, 04:00:24 »
OFFSET?  What's that?  Off to the Excel help...

EDIT: I don't think OFFSET will do the trick.  The invisible numbers were a workaround for the LOOKUP function requirement that the range be in ascending order.

If I remember correctly, one of the lookups finds the index value of the ATT in the data table, while the next lookup looks for that index on the front sheet to find the right row to pull the ATTs value. If these indexes match the order of the rows in the table (I think they did), then you should be able to replace the second lookup with OFFSET.

Just getting into work, will try to have a look lunchtime.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #57 on: 20 December 2011, 04:03:15 »
Something tells me calan's head would explode if he tried to decipher my sheet.

Glad I've your confidence! ;-) But yeah, I'm far from an expert with Excel. I don't really need advanced skills at work, so it's things like this that tend to push me to learn a bit more.

Calan

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 20 December 2011, 08:44:20 »
Just getting into work, will try to have a look lunchtime.

Here you go:

Wherever you have something in the mod expression like LOOKUP(LOOKUP(ATTRIBUTE,'Data Tables'!E$15:E$22,'Data Tables'!F$15:F$22),D$3:D$10,K$3:K$10) replace with OFFSET($K$3,LOOKUP(ATTRIBUTE,'Data Tables'!E$15:E$22,'Data Tables'!F$15:F$22)-1,0)

On the sheet I'm currently playing with, the mod expression for N28 would be:

=IF(LEFT(M28,3)=RIGHT(M28,3),LOOKUP(OFFSET($K$3,LOOKUP(M28,'Data Tables'!E$15:E$22,'Data Tables'!F$15:F$22)-1,0),'Data Tables'!M$15:M$25,'Data Tables'!N$15:N$25),LOOKUP(OFFSET($K$3,LOOKUP(LEFT(M28,3),'Data Tables'!E$15:E$22,'Data Tables'!F$15:F$22)-1,0),'Data Tables'!M$15:M$25,'Data Tables'!N$15:N$25)+LOOKUP(OFFSET($K$3,LOOKUP(RIGHT(M28,3),'Data Tables'!E$15:E$22,'Data Tables'!F$15:F$22)-1,0),'Data Tables'!M$15:M$25,'Data Tables'!N$15:N$25))

You'll get the same values as before, but without the worry of the invisible indexes in D being cleared.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2011, 08:46:07 by Calan »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 20 December 2011, 18:40:27 »
This may take me a while to wrap my head around.  What exactly is the OFFSET returning to the expression?  And why the -1?

Register