Author Topic: Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries  (Read 13358 times)

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
« on: 27 December 2011, 20:33:04 »
I have owned this game since it came out.   Today (yeah, I still play it) I found the mission for New Canton at the end of the Steiner arc.   (Shows you how little I play this arc.) 

Rather enjoying it but, I am finding that my usual strategy of keeping the lightest possible unit to finish the game is working against me.  I really need TWO assault lances for this, not one).   Note, I have to buy three of the assault 'mechs as I like to run 1 heavy lance (with one assault) and one medium lance (all mediums) as a normal rule.

Going to have to re-run through the game with that in mind. 

Hmm....Might have to spend a bit more time listening to Duncan Fischer.   (The best thing about the whole Solaris experience.) 

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
Re: Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2011, 23:55:52 »
Have you got the Wolf Ending yet?
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2011, 11:20:19 »
I have owned this game since it came out.   Today (yeah, I still play it) I found the mission for New Canton at the end of the Steiner arc.   (Shows you how little I play this arc.) 

Rather enjoying it but, I am finding that my usual strategy of keeping the lightest possible unit to finish the game is working against me.  I really need TWO assault lances for this, not one).   Note, I have to buy three of the assault 'mechs as I like to run 1 heavy lance (with one assault) and one medium lance (all mediums) as a normal rule.

Going to have to re-run through the game with that in mind. 

Hmm....Might have to spend a bit more time listening to Duncan Fischer.   (The best thing about the whole Solaris experience.)

Yeah, I didn't know about the last part of the Steiner Campaign until I saw the city map of New Avalon somewhere and I found out that there was an entire additional arch of story missions to play through. New Canton was awesome imo...I still remember fielding 6 Templar and 2 Sunders in that mission during one game.
Made by HikageMaru

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2011, 11:37:34 »
For me, the most riveting mission was the assault against Overlord dropship.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2012, 13:04:50 »
I haven't played that game in years. I can't find it and getting it second hand is expencive. Is the Overlord one  the one where you are assaulting a bunch of overlords that are trying to take off?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2012, 13:59:37 »
I haven't played that game in years.
That's the good reason to play it again...

I can't find it and getting it second hand is expencive.
So download it from Mektek pages for free and legally.

Is the Overlord one  the one where you are assaulting a bunch of overlords that are trying to take off?
No, you are probably mistaking it for final mission from MechWarrior 4: Vengeance.

The mission I am talking about starts with assault across "Valley of Death" defended by Lyran heavy and assault 'Mechs. The enemy positions are reinforced with autocannons and Gauss rifle turrets and LRM carriers. You must destroy enemy stronghold just to break out of the valley.

If you manage do get this far, there are plenty of Lyran 'Mechs and tanks waiting for you. You can see another Lyran strongpoint in your way, and the primary mission objective in the background - Overlord class dropship.

Overlord is really monstrous piece of metal to say it gently.

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2012, 10:11:07 »
I did play the wolf ending years ago, and, it was the reason I never really played through the Katherine side of the arc again.  It just felt really hollow when I won.   Might go back and replay it, that was, what, 15-20 years ago?  LOL

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2012, 11:29:58 »
I am working on getting the 5th ending? I know about the Davion winning on Tharkad Ending. I know the Betrayal ending of Steiner. The Chaos March Ending for General Mercenary work, and then the Wolf Clan ending.

Is it true there was a 5th ending?
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2012, 17:38:34 »
There were only three.  The betrayal ending and the wolf clan ending are the same.

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2012, 06:15:50 »
Ahhhhhhhhhh....Now I recall why it felt so...Meh.   After arming up my Omni with four Ultra AC5's and five (yes, 5) Clan Flamers, I went out and had me some Wolf BBQ.   

I like the general feel of the end, but, I would have liked him to have said something about winning a Trial of Refusal for command, or, perhaps, simply having been given a command.   Still felt like you went to a lot of work to just pilot a machine for the Clans.   

Overall, though, I was much happier this time than last....I don't recall having had the inspiration to just heat 'em and eat 'em last time.    O:-)

ATP Painting Studio

• Corporal
  • ATP Painting Studio: Bespoke Miniatures Painting!
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2012, 07:43:57 »
Just played through the Steiner arc, ending up on New Canton with 3 Daishis, 3 Atlases and 2 Longbows. Oh that was fun! But the Hacking Run mission was a major drag, first few times we all died; second to last try I survived and my lancemates all died, last time we all lived!

New Canton is my favourite ending, but the Davion arc has better late-game missions I feel.
Servant of the Magistracy of Canopus

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2012, 11:13:56 »
I just recently downloaded the game and I realise I remember almost nothing from this game so its like playing a new game for me.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2012, 16:24:10 »
Where can we download the game?

I have the CDs, but I'd like to get more of the mech designs. is that possible?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2012, 16:30:20 »
Where can we download the game?

I have the CDs, but I'd like to get more of the mech designs. is that possible?

Good idea is to start here with MTX client:

http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/mechwarrior4-mercenaries-downloads-r1204

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2012, 17:58:45 »
I like this product...marauder,marauder II,warhamer,archer... just wish there was a t-bolt,nightstar,missile or laser versions of the hunchback...

Anyone have any idea how to beat the Talon,night ops mission. I've tried everything from a raven to a daishi...going to the left,to the right,going up the middle,changing how I hit the nav points, taking out the caliopies from range in the mountains, fighting all at once...

Any suggestions?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2012, 02:55:25 »
I like this product...marauder,marauder II,warhamer,archer... just wish there was a t-bolt,nightstar,missile or laser versions of the hunchback...

Different mod of MechWarrior 4 actually had Thunderbolt or Champion:
http://www.mechwarrior4.net/netmech/netmech.html
Even though the title says Thunderbolt TDR-5SE, it's more like TDR-9M.

Anyone have any idea how to beat the Talon,night ops mission. I've tried everything from a raven to a daishi...going to the left,to the right,going up the middle,changing how I hit the nav points, taking out the caliopies from range in the mountains, fighting all at once...

Any suggestions?

No big problem.

Take light 'Mech, be it Raven, Uller or similar. Strip all weapons except one LRM-5. Use spared weight for maximum speed upgrade, and you can swap standard armour for Reflective.

Switch off radar to Passive mode, when the mission starts (even if you have Raven with ECM).
First head to Nav Alpha. Go over the big crater and do not hurry. You must wait until the Dragon near factory is away.
Then go over the ridge to Nav Beta. It's easiest because enemies have patrol paths safely away of this factory.
Nav point Gamma is the most difficult because every few minutes Uziel and Loki circle it. Just stay near factory at Nav Beta, and when you see that those two 'Mech passed, dash to nav Gamma and scan it. Than retreat back to the ridge. Now it's the time to use LRMs and destroy Fuel tank near generator at nav Delta. Fire from the ridge, do not close because all enemy 'Mechs will go after you. Even those three Cougars will power up and join the chase.
Run to Nav Epsilon. You will take some hits from PPCs and ER Large lasers, but Reflective armour should help you.
Once you reach it, enemies will return to base.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2012, 09:10:38 »
Soon as i get a chance i'll try that, thanks  O0

serrate

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2012, 09:36:06 »
I've been meaning to download and play this game as well. Is it advisable to use a joystick, or is a mouse just fine?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2012, 11:17:50 »
I've been meaning to download and play this game as well. Is it advisable to use a joystick, or is a mouse just fine?

Personally I use mouse and I am fine. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Perhaps it's just me, but the default keyboard/mouse controls are awfully mapped. I re-mapped those controls to be similar to controls from MechWarrior 2 and 3, it's much more comfortable for me.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 25 February 2012, 12:27:42 »
With the mission editor you get how to import the mechs to the game?

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Register