Author Topic: Bases & texturing  (Read 1916 times)

hawkeye44

• Recruit
Bases & texturing
« on: 23 January 2012, 20:23:43 »
In Cache's sticky post, Miniatures Assembly Guides, he mentions in the Phoenix Hawk that he textures the base. He also used JB Weld.

Does anyone know how to do that, and can explain?

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Bases & texturing
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2012, 22:51:12 »
Texturing the base is a way of saying that you are adding material on the base to represent where the mini is residing. Could be a field, rocky area, or marsh/swamp.
Many materials can be used to accomplish this. I use Elmers Wood putty and have very good results. You probably should do this before painting the mini, that way the material doesn't get on the freshly painted feet and legs. Get the putty pushed down and around the base and feet. You can add rocks or trees, grass to get the look you are trying for. Hope this helps.  O0
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

whytwolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2012, 13:45:26 »
I like to use a pumice product that Vallejo makes. It has the consistency of wet sand and has a bonding agent so that when it dries it sticks to whatever you apply it to. I like it because it gives a rough textured look that can be dry brushed over to give a nice appearance of weathered ground.

Pardon the use of the 40K model, but notice the texture on the base.

Eldragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2012, 14:47:28 »
I go for the ultimate in cheap solutions:

After I finish painting the mini, but before dull/gloss coating it, I liberally apply standard wood glue to the base, and pour sand around the feet of the mini. Sometimes I do a wash with a black or brown over the sand when I am done.

Register