Author Topic: (Answered) ATOW  (Read 2621 times)

khanjohn

• Corporal
  • More things change the more they stay the same.
(Answered) ATOW
« on: 04 March 2012, 10:03:36 »
As my group has done little in this we are starting to get soem interest so I have a question or 2. 1) Lets take clan phenotype character. it says Compulsion/Arrogrance (-50). DO they get teh 50 points added to their point table of 5k or what? 2) IF not looking on page 110 does this mean they hae minus -1 etc to reacting with other which would be +1 to stat such as protocol out side their own clan  etc? 3) if there is a negative number does it add to point totals or do they have to buy it away?
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 00:50:17 by Xotl »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: ATOW
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2012, 10:53:15 »
As my group has done little in this we are starting to get soem interest so I have a question or 2. 1) Lets take clan phenotype character. it says Compulsion/Arrogrance (-50). DO they get teh 50 points added to their point table of 5k or what?

No. Your XP total only changes based on which Life Modules you purchase. The -50 XP to Compulsion is part of what you buy for the Module Cost of 75 XP.
You apply the -50 XP to that negative Trait. During the "Optimization" step (p.87) you are forced to bring that all the way down to -100 XP, buying that Trait. This does give you 50 XP to spend elsewhere though.

2) IF not looking on page 110 does this mean they hae minus -1 etc to reacting with other which would be +1 to stat such as protocol out side their own clan  etc?

Not sure I'm following.
The compulsion/arrogance gives the character a -1 modifier to all rolls affected by his arrogance. That does not turn in to a beneficial +1 modifier in any circumstance. The only thing that matters is whether the compulsion triggers or not, which depends on the situation and the GM. It basically means the character acts arrogant even if he might know better.
If the compulsion doesn't trigger, there's a +0 modifier instead of -1, not a +1.

3) if there is a negative number does it add to point totals or do they have to buy it away?

As indicated above, during optimization, you have to bring any Negative Traits up to their next full level, which adds XP to the pool.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

khanjohn

• Corporal
  • More things change the more they stay the same.
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2012, 12:19:46 »
Thanks now for one more question. On page 66 under Trueborn Creche it has trait Trueborn (+200) and on page 80 Tour of duty clan has trait Bloodnamed (50). These are not listed under traits in ATOW so I assume they have a cost of 200 for trueborn and 100 for bloodnamed? Also would nto a exceptional bloodname cost more? There is nothign listed in erratta.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2012, 12:49:57 »
On page 66 under Trueborn Creche it has trait Trueborn (+200) and on page 80 Tour of duty clan has trait Bloodnamed (50). These are not listed under traits in ATOW so I assume they have a cost of 200 for trueborn and 100 for bloodnamed? Also would nto a exceptional bloodname cost more? There is nothign listed in erratta.

You can find Trueborn on page 109. As you surmised, it's value is 2 Trait Points, or 200 XP.
You can find Bloodname on page 126. The value of the Bloodname does go up depending on the prominence of the name.

Note that the index can sometimes be a better tool than the table of contents to find stuff.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.