Author Topic: Base Removal Question  (Read 2634 times)

ahnospell44

Base Removal Question
« on: 10 March 2012, 19:36:10 »
Hi folks,

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any success in removing the base of a Dark Age Clicky-Tech mech from it's Clicky base? I have a set I just purchased on Amazon and would like to remove it so I can use it with my normal games.

Thanks in advance.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Base Removal Question
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2012, 20:17:12 »
The figures are just superglued to the base. For some, a small screwdriver is enough to pop it off. If you don't have enough room to get a screwdriver under a foot, a hobby knife sometimes works. If all else fails, cut the foot off flush with the base.

Netzilla

• Warrant Officer
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2012, 02:12:33 »
I've found it easiest to put them in the freezer for 20 minutes then use a pair of flush-cut clippers to do the removal.
"Everything starts as someone's daydream." -- Larry Niven

MM Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/_list/tickets

MHQ Bug & Feature Requests:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mekhq/_list/tickets

awclawson

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2012, 11:11:12 »
For some, a small screwdriver is enough to pop it off.

Agree.  Have done this dozens of times.  Also use a pair of needle nose pliers.  Grab low on the foot and twist a little.  This works well on the little infantry figures also.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

Maddog3025

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2012, 11:55:23 »
I'd definitely recommend the freezer treatment and screwdriver approach first.  If you do resort to the hobby knife, be very sure to always cut away from you.  I wasn't so smart one time and sliced my thumb bad enough to go to the ER.  They glued it up though you can still see the mark. 

ahnospell44

« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2012, 14:15:11 »
Ouch Maddog! Yea I took it off with an exacto and gentle twists until it was free. Now I need to take it apart I think and begin repainting it. I didn't know if they had made the feet a part of the click tech mold or something crazy that manu's usually do.

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2012, 23:33:26 »
I put mine in the freezer.  Any that don't easily pop off with a twist I go and carefully pry or cut free

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2012, 15:52:36 »
Most of the ones I want to remove just pop free when I hold the legs with one hand and bend the base back and forth.  Sometimes the screwdriver/knife/mini-prybar was needed, but not often.

If it's a mech you are trying to remove, I find it helpful to pull the bottom of the dial, the part with the sticker with the numbers and colors, right off, and then bend and flex the upper part of the base with one hand while holding the legs of the mini with the other.

That being said, having just bought 14 boosters from my flgs, the glue is old enough on many of the mini's that they just pop clean off the base with minimal effort.
Honor is Bulletproof

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2012, 16:03:14 »
Throwing the mini in the freezer can help make the glue brittle.  Careful as this will often make the mini and even the base itself brittle too.  In either case, protective eye wear is recommended.

For a lot of units, you can just pop the dial off and then bend the based.  This might not break all the glued points free, but it'll get you started.

Another trick is a small flat head screw driver.  Slide it under the mini somewhere.  Don't always pull it up like using a crow bar.  Sometimes you actually want to twist the screw driver.  I recommend this over using a knife to pry because a knife is more likely to break than the the screw driver.

Then again, some times it is a knife you want.  Just cut the mini right off the base.  Careful when doing this.  A foot that seems to have permanently fused with the base can suddenly change it's mind leaving you with nothing between you knife and your hand.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Register