Author Topic: (Answered) Destroying searchlights  (Read 2119 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Destroying searchlights
« on: 30 June 2012, 02:23:56 »
According to Tactical Operations p. 57, if a 'Mech or vehicle equipped with a "free" searchlight takes a hit to an appropriate location, the searchlight may be destroyed on a roll of 7+ on 2d6. According to Strategic Operations p. 196, the same holds true for units with the "Searchlight" quirk (though that text doesn't explicitly mention vehicles).

My question is: does or doesn't the same rule also apply to searchlights "hard-mounted" on 'Mechs or vehicles, i.e., those paid for with actual tonnage (and possibly equipment slots) according to the TechManual construction rules? (TM "Searchlight" entry on p. 237, stats in the Industrial Equipment Table on p. 344) The TacOps wording of the relevant rules text -- "[e]ach time such a designated, searchlight-equipped 'Mech takes a hit in any torso location [...]", emphasis mine -- can be read as suggesting that those wouldn't actually be covered by it.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2012, 21:54:09 by Xotl »

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Re: Destroying searchlights
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2012, 16:39:19 »
The rules on Tac Ops page 57 are for all searchlights.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2012, 04:54:49 »
So...if a 'Mech or vehicle with one or more "fixed" searchlights has its searchlight destroyed under that rule, one of those searchlights suffers a critical hit? Okay...how, in the event that a unit actually does sport multiple searchlights (possibly including an additional "free" one), would one go about determining which one?

E.g., suppose a hypothetical 'Mech with four searchlights, one in each arm and one in the head (a dedicated Omni configuration for night combat, say, or an IndustrialMech for salvage and rescue operations) plus an additional one as per TacOps p. 57, gets struck in the right torso and the die roll comes up 7+. Which searchlight exactly is destroyed in this case (noting that none of the fixed ones actually are in the location struck and the location of the "free" one is somewhat fuzzily defined as well)?

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2012, 13:21:51 »
For now, roll randomly.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous