Author Topic: Whats your most bad butt Marauder variant?  (Read 15279 times)

majesticmoose

• Warrant Officer
Re: Whats your most bad butt Marauder variant?
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2011, 14:09:37 »
I guess I just love the classic look of the unseen MAD.  It's more organic, something that was lost to BT along the way, and yet strangley alien, fitting it's origin.

The Pheonix MAD has a nice style, but it's nothing I haven't seen before.  It kinda reminds me of some anemic Mad Dog/Vulture, or a clunky franken mech...I don't know why...

The Unseen MAD just has that uniquness to it, a style.  And say what you want about "hard science" designs and BT aesthetic, I don't think style is bad.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #31 on: 28 February 2011, 15:45:49 »
Although as I've already said, I prefer the Phoenix look, I have to agree with you that there's also just something special about the Unseen.  How about we say that either way, it's a darned awesome beast?
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2011, 15:57:33 »
for me the Phoenix Marauder looks better because it does not look like a Male Haploid cell on legs

This!

I like the Phoenix Maruader for the asthetics of it. Simply put, it looks like it fits with the rest of the universe, both thematically and stylisticly. It looks like a Battlemech, not an alien space bug. Now don't get my wrong; the Offler's Pod does look cool, but it doesn't fit with the Battletech universe.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #33 on: 01 March 2011, 10:04:32 »
Because the writers browse these forums, and don't want to see our designs, lest they influence future TROs and the 'original designer' want credit.

That said, the 5D is sublime if you just drop the SSRM2 and CASE for more DHS.  Maybe switch the LPL for a third ERPPC.  Or a Blazer(which only allows 1 extra DHS, but still).  }:)

S'how i used to reboot my 5D's back in the 50s.  That thing would mince lighter clan omnis quite merrily, but then usually i ran a lance of 2 of them with a Mad S and a Caesar. 
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #34 on: 01 March 2011, 13:34:57 »
 The only Phoenix Marauder i have in front of me was the first one, the Liao variant, and sorry, but that thing is not a Marauder, it is like a famelic flamingo with arms. I prefer the classic Marauder, the old Marauder IIC or the new Marauder IIC.

Back in topic, i have to vote for the -9M2. That thing is a beast.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Wanderer

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 01 March 2011, 13:39:58 »
Not so much a bad *ahem* butt version, but a common enough 3025-era mod was a simple one.

Replace the AC/5 with an AC/2, then move the ammo over and add two heat sinks where the AC/5 took up four crits. The original MAD was actually statted before the AC/2 existed, mind you. :)

The AC became rather handy for chewing up softer targets like tanks at ranges most opponents couldn't reach, then once it was crippled the Marauder would swoop in and gut it with PPC fire. The two sinks meant you could also go PPC/ML/ML up closer without heat issues, and with everything tucked into the same torso, no more ammo-go-boom automatically if crits happen.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 01 March 2011, 14:32:59 »
I took a 3025 Marauder & in 3050 tech, changed out the AC for another PPC for 3 total, added Ferro Fiber & Double heat sinks.  Simple & Effective.

I don't have my books in front of me but you could probably add a Light engine, endo, dorsal Heavy PPC, max out the the armor, change the medium lasers to ER, bump the heatsinks up and you'd be good to go.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 02 March 2011, 02:14:39 »
I've never really modded the marauder.
So I'd have to say that my baddest Marauder variant would the original Marauder IIC. 3 ER PPCs, 4 ER SL. What's not to like?

Or if that's cheating, I too will go with the Marauder 5S.

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 03 March 2011, 02:02:25 »
Before someone else jumps in Blacksheep.
You're supposed to restrict your designs to the design forum. Because writers peruse this forum but not the other one and TPTB want to avoid anyone saying "that's my design, give me credit" sort of thing or something along those lines. Anyway, someone with actual authority will come and tell you directly.

OverKill

• Lieutenant
  • Marauder MAD-3D "Guan-Yu"
« Reply #39 on: 03 March 2011, 02:23:17 »
Colonel Mason Grimm
Grimm Reaper Company (Grimm's Reapers)
Piloting: Marauder MAD-3D - Guan-Yu
We are the things you see out of the corner of your eye!

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #40 on: 03 March 2011, 08:42:26 »

[copper]
Gentle reminder from your Moderation staff.

Please post designs in the appropriate Design forum.

Thanks!
/  [copper]
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #41 on: 03 March 2011, 13:34:57 »
I know I will make people mad at me, but the Marauder 2c!!! Its rebuilt form a Marauder...and it hasn't been completely butchered in the new artwork in the Project Pheonix!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 03 March 2011, 15:28:06 »
dont dash the boys dreams dude!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #44 on: 03 March 2011, 16:01:11 »
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #45 on: 05 March 2011, 15:05:09 »
I like taking the 3R and putting on 2 AC/5's, 1 PPC and 2 medium lasers to make all the AC haters cry.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 05 March 2011, 15:28:24 »
I like taking the 3R and putting on 2 AC/5's, 1 PPC and 2 medium lasers to make all the AC haters cry.

Interesting design drop 2-3 HS and give it 2-3 tons of ammo for specialty munitions.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2011, 15:35:10 »
eh, the art isn't great, but the Marauder IIC PP mini is a darn sexy beast.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

BigRoy

« Reply #48 on: 08 March 2011, 03:45:02 »
My own 5R uses Double heat sinks and FF armor. Drop the AC/5 and replace it with a Large laser. Frees up enough tonnage for Max armor and jump jets. a small laser in the head rounds out the tonnage. Runs hot, but it's manageable if the pilot is at all competent. One of my buddies loves Marauders ta death. I'm gonna put this on the table for him this weekend and enjoy the havoc.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #49 on: 08 March 2011, 11:03:28 »
Here's a Jihad era MAD that mounts 2 PPCs and 1 HPPCs and the DHS to use them at the cost of using an LFE.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #50 on: 08 March 2011, 11:53:35 »
for me the Phoenix Marauder looks better because it does not look like a Male Haploid cell on legs

I see what you did there  :D

I also prefer the Phoenix Marauder.  With a few exceptions, I actually like a majority of the phoenix designs over the originals.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #51 on: 08 March 2011, 23:49:04 »
You know...for the 75 ton Marauder, I'm going to have to say either the Bounty Hunter's versions or I will be biased and say the Marauder-9S...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #52 on: 14 March 2011, 10:58:29 »
I took the MAD-5D and dropped the SSRM2 and its ammo.  Put in an AMS and 1 ton of ammo for it.  I also added a small pulse laser to the center torso.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #53 on: 14 March 2011, 14:24:49 »
Reminder: Personal designs are to be posted in the appropriate fan design forum. Please do not post designs (or give extensive descriptions) of personal designs outside those forums.

Thank you,

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 15 March 2011, 23:54:48 »
I've never really bothered tinkering much with the customization system. It used to be the coolest thing ever, to me, but after my bad experiences online with facing custom jump-sniping gladiators in Mechwarrior 4, I came to realize that customization just gives a way for min-maxers to try to break the game before they even come to the table. The customization system turns me off for everything but campaign style play (Granted it's on a case-by-case basis), and I have yet to have ever played any campaigns outside of Mekwars servers.

But as far as the Marauder goes, I'd always been fond of the Marik variant. The use of Large Lasers helps the design to run a bit cooler, the range difference, negligible, and the lack of a minimum range means it doesn't die in those inevitable short-ranged brawls most of my games turn into.

Looter

• Corporal
« Reply #55 on: 17 March 2011, 07:05:13 »
I have to say my favorite is the Bounty Hunter's/Natasha Kerensky's monster.  3 PPC's 5 ML's Enough Heat sinks to use them with a full load of armor and standard engine scaled back to make it a 3/5/3 movement profile.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2011, 20:26:39 »
 4 LPPC + HPPC with cap
SFE
16 dshs
12 tons HFF armor

Love it

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2011, 22:21:23 »
Running a C3 merc company for a campaign the local demo agent is running, and I was thinking of taking the 9W2 variant and swapping the PPC and ECM for a couple of SRMs.

Cybra

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2011, 01:18:12 »
This is my 3079 MAD-II variant.

http://solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/BattlemechInfo.asp?ID=14961

As explained in the fluff, if you convert to clan tech, you can add a 2nd GR.

Quick question, can anyone tell me why i mounted LPLs instead of other, suggested, weapons?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2011, 09:04:32 »
I still claim it's a Marauder variant, thought most others disagreed when I posted it... ::)

A somewhat Mad Cat-ish variant with RAC/5s in the arms, a dorsal ERLL and twin MML3s on each shoulder. It can run a bit hot, the armor isn't all it could be, than ammo is rather short, and the RACs jam way to often - but it dishes out 56 damage at short range on average. [rockon]