Author Topic: Bolshevik Battlemechs  (Read 15183 times)

Dr Dodo

• Private
Re: Bolshevik Battlemechs
« Reply #90 on: 19 November 2012, 15:28:51 »
I'm a new teacher in NSW and when I caught this on ABC news this morning I was caught between <facepalm>,  :o, and  ;D  . If I knew I could teach/play Battletech for history I would be a lot less stressed making lessons :D

I am planning on putting this up on our "Board of Shame"
The Doctor IV: You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #91 on: 20 November 2012, 17:33:40 »
Dr Dodo,

BattleTech promotes mathematical skills, literacy, spatial geometry, analytical thinking, and cooperative play. Minis enhance development of eye-hand coordination, aesthetics, and practical art appreciation. Given it's got endorsement from VCAT, surely you should be seeking funding to implement a trial project in your school? Measure IQs before & after six months regular play?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sid

• Lieutenant
Re: BT is recognised in Australian education!
« Reply #92 on: 20 November 2012, 18:34:45 »
Take that, Harmony Gold!

I thought I'd crack a joke how in a few days and a C&D letter later, the site may have a disclaimer clarifying the 'mech is from Robotech and not Battletech.

Then I thought maybe it isn't actually a joke  :))
Formerly known as 'Phad'

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Re: BT is recognised in Australian education!
« Reply #93 on: 21 November 2012, 00:11:29 »
I thought I'd crack a joke how in a few days and a C&D letter later, the site may have a disclaimer clarifying the 'mech is from Robotech and not Battletech.

Then I thought maybe it isn't actually a joke  :))

the comments page is rife with "corrections*", but it's almost a week and nothing so i think it's likely safe at this point.

*"Corrections": A bastardized Cappellan word describing informing people witness to an event what they have actually seen to avoid conflicting reports.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #94 on: 21 November 2012, 01:30:11 »
Dr Dodo,

BattleTech promotes mathematical skills, literacy, spatial geometry, analytical thinking, and cooperative play. Minis enhance development of eye-hand coordination, aesthetics, and practical art appreciation. Given it's got endorsement from VCAT, surely you should be seeking funding to implement a trial project in your school? Measure IQs before & after six months regular play?

While I agree on all those points with my classes I first would have to make sure that the books, printouts, minis, paint, dice are all non-harmful when eaten (no joke I lost 7 pens that were eaten by my class of 16 & 17 year olds! there were just the gnawed tips remaining. I now keep to pencils as they are less toxic when eaten) and are non-harmful when used as a projectile.  :-[

... But still I will have to consider this very carefully
The Doctor IV: You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #95 on: 21 November 2012, 06:25:22 »
I think legos are made with that in mind. And there are plans for lego mechs on internet.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #96 on: 21 November 2012, 06:52:46 »
Is the NSW Government still giving netbooks to all highschool students Dr Dodo?

If so, just get Megamek installed and away you go with no additional risk (assuming risk assessment on the netbooks have already been done)  O0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #97 on: 21 November 2012, 06:56:31 »
Having MM do the maths would hurt the educational value a bit... :(

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #98 on: 21 November 2012, 07:06:14 »
True but the high schools now allow the teenagers to use calculators to do all the maths for them anyway so that educational value is already lost  :(
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #99 on: 21 November 2012, 08:32:58 »
Yep, I have NO idea how to do the elements of math that I studied in college--all my professor did was explain how to do the equations on my calculator.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #100 on: 21 November 2012, 09:57:55 »

If so, just get Megamek installed and away you go with no additional risk (assuming risk assessment on the netbooks have already been done)  O0

"My exam? Well... my Marauder is running a bit warm, the Whitworth lost its left arm, and I'm running out of peasant hordes, but I think I can take the fort still. This is a lot harder than the one we did about the Smoke Jaguars capturing the Bastille!"
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #101 on: 21 November 2012, 14:55:08 »

it is being changed to a cheaper (for the government) byod system. So each student will be responsible for their own computer and the teachers have to make sure that any programs that they use have versions for pc, mac, ipad, ipod, & androids with the added bonus of having it work on multiple vintage machines from brand new to 4+ years old.

But the government says its cheaper so its good and it can't see any problems with its wonderful plan :D

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #102 on: 21 November 2012, 16:59:45 »
 [copper]

Ahem.  Let's knock off the political discussion.  Now.

/  [copper]
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Dr Dodo

• Private
« Reply #103 on: 22 November 2012, 00:49:03 »
[copper]

Ahem.  Let's knock off the political discussion.  Now.

/  [copper]

Deleted due to rereading it as potential to be read as extreme sarcasm to mod(s)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2012, 05:07:09 by Dr Dodo »

Register