Author Topic: We can rebuild her. Faster. Stronger. Cattier?  (Read 15548 times)

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: We can rebuild her. Faster. Stronger. Cattier?
« Reply #60 on: 20 January 2013, 23:48:51 »
Speaking of that holster.  I am confused as to how that's supposed to work.
Most situations are going to find your characters wearing something that covers their legs, and I would hazard to guess guns are not something accepted at most pool parties and beaches.

Are the genetic traits explained anywhere? I know there's a separate trait for Mutants, but the Implant/Prosthetic trait has a few "Genetic Enhancements" mentioned (6E, 6X, 6S), but there isn't anything that really details them. I assume those are just up to the GM and player. Though I wonder at the difference between an Improved Genetic Enhancement and a Exotic one (Basic is just an existing trait).
Interesting question.  There is some mention of genetic modifications on page 51, and its listed in the table on page 178, but all I can see is that 6E (basic genetic enhancement, 8TP) is that it grants certain traits such as good vision or toughness (to which the question becomes, why? since you can already get those traits).  6S (improved enhancements 9TP) and 6X (exotic/experimental enhancements 10TP) aren't mentioned outside the tables from what I can find.

Might want to ask the devs about that.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #61 on: 20 January 2013, 23:52:58 »
Maybe it's meant to actually be a genuine mermaid or genuine saytr or bird person as the result of genetic engineering.  Of course, that would also mean listing the traits you'd receive as a result, and in the end they don't give you any info about it.

Yes, that would be something worth asking the Devs about...

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2013, 00:00:46 »
One thing to note, though is that type S is supposed to be Survival type stuff, so Improved Genetic Enhancements (6S) would ostensibly be something relating to making life easier in hostile environments.  Could be genetic enhancements to reduce bone decalcification and muscle atrophy in low gravity worlds, a higher tolerance to toxins or improved strength and stamina on high gravity worlds

X is extreme, so that would probably be merfolk genetics.
I do wonder if the prototype phenotypes would count as 6X or 6E, though, but Era Digest: Golden Century predates A Time of War Companion

On a side note, I think basic genetic enhancements (6E) would be a great thing if it could boost an otherwise normal human's maximum attribute scores by one, then you could combine that with exceptional attribute and actually be able to get a +2 link modifier on something other than charisma.  A huge expenditure in XP, to be sure, but an interesting thought experiment that would at least make exceptional attribute of a bit more use.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2013, 00:03:12 »
Also true, but by that point you're approaching Clan level heights of genetic engineering which were perfected over decades if not centuries by tens of thousands of scientists.  You might actually be better off using machines to increase your strength than you would be to try and use genetic engineering.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 21 January 2013, 00:09:02 »
Well it does mention the Star League and their Genecaste.  The core of the rules are time agnostic even if the life paths themselves fit into the late Jihad period.

It really does depend on the time period and where the character is.
Since we have Age of war supplements, we can make characters in the right time period.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2013, 00:10:56 by BirdofPrey »

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: 21 January 2013, 00:12:04 »
Well, it's also somewhat vague as to how, when and where the mutations came from.  I'd imagine the Star League participated in some sort of high level genetics engineering, but they could have been the sort of traits that only propped up a dozen generations after the original participants got the therapies.

In the end, it's pretty open ended for a reason.  If you want to play a genetic mutant in Battletech you can do it, even if it doesn't make the most sense. 

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 21 January 2013, 00:28:31 »
Page 53 of the Companion lists a range of mutation features.

Yeah, but I'm looking for the Genetic stuff from the Implant/Prosthetic traits, rather than the Genetic stuff from the Mutation trait :)

Maybe it's meant to actually be a genuine mermaid or genuine saytr or bird person as the result of genetic engineering.  Of course, that would also mean listing the traits you'd receive as a result, and in the end they don't give you any info about it.

Presumably the Exotic Genetic Enhancement is equal to the Fish people from the recent Interstellar Expeditions book. In which case, I'm definitely guessing its "Ask your GM to come up with what you get." I was just surprised that there are actually 3 levels of it, with only 1 level mentioned.

Speaking of that holster.  I am confused as to how that's supposed to work.

I assume its sort of like Robocop's. I wasn't sure about adding it, just sort of did it on a whim. Presumably if you're going to be using something like it, you'd prepare ahead. Pants with slits up the legs, or velcro seals, etc.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 21 January 2013, 00:35:09 »
It could be useful if it allows you to place the weapon fully inside the limb in question.  Then you are always armed even if you aren't wearing anything.  If I had a bionic leg i'd put a derginer in there just in case.
How do you draw your weapon from it quickly though (grants +2 to prestidigitation/quickdraw)? Maybe if it were a holster in an arm, but I'd just as soon attach the weapon to the arm.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 21 January 2013, 00:58:07 »
Well, according to "Guide to Covert Ops" (god I hate opening this book), the holster is "a concealed, mechanical fast draw holster for a full-sized pistol or short blade can be mounted in a prosthetic leg, typically in the thigh section where sufficient space can be found without sacrificing the use of the limb."

So presumably the weapon is completely hidden.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 21 January 2013, 01:20:13 »
I was going to say 'meh' to your comment in the AToWC thread about not having fluff, but I can see now how it might be useful, even if it is low priority.

The rules in AToWC for that item, doesn't limit it to legs nor does it mention that the weapon is concealed, though I would automatically assume the latter would apply at least.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: 21 January 2013, 14:01:54 »
Sounds like Robocop's gun if it's holstered in your thigh.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2013, 17:35:56 »
Indeed, but the difference is robocop didn't wear pants.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2013, 17:37:40 »
Indeed, but the difference is robocop didn't wear pants.

Hahaha, true, though I'd think similar things of a lascivious feline augmented agent with a Beauty Enhancement and Pheromone Effusers.  Or just wearing skirts for that matter.  That's how I'd get around it.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 21 January 2013, 17:54:30 »
I'm just not seeing someone quick drawing from under a skirt, though.

Minor nitpick, though.  Doesn't really affect things too much, but it bugs me enough that if I were GMing I'd probably replace the quickdraw trait with concealable unless the character somehow finds herself in a firefight wearing a bikini.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #74 on: 21 January 2013, 18:11:55 »

Minor nitpick, though.  Doesn't really affect things too much, but it bugs me enough that if I were GMing I'd probably replace the quickdraw trait with concealable unless the character somehow finds herself in a firefight wearing a bikini.
Dirty Pair?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #75 on: 21 January 2013, 18:28:08 »
Hahaha, true, though I'd think similar things of a lascivious feline augmented agent with a Beauty Enhancement and Pheromone Effusers.  Or just wearing skirts for that matter.  That's how I'd get around it.

It is Canopus after all...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 22 January 2013, 01:33:56 »

Have the skirt slit up to the hip.  Everyone looking at her can see the weapon, in a quick-draw rig, but after talking to her a few minutes and smelling her 'perfume', they forget all about it.

Of course, as a Catgirl, she isn't going to be carrying some obscene monster gun, especially in a quick-draw rig.  I'd see something slim-line, probably an energy weapon or needler.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 22 January 2013, 01:47:34 »
depends if she wants to go "Cute" or "terminator"

sorry for some reason I all of a sudden had a flash of a rifts char I played for years (and various anime's)

for those times when you want your  target dead we have the shemarian rail gun...

for those times when you absolutely positively want your target dead, and "disintegrations" are acceptable, we have the syncro cannon in a shemarian rail gun shell (note dimensional pocket required to make it fit extra)

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 22 January 2013, 13:05:36 »
depends if she wants to go "Cute" or "terminator"
Or?

Go watch The Sarah Conner Chronicles.
===
Anyways remember there's a concealed laser gun in one of those arms and a blade in the other.  The one in the leg is for when you have an emergency during your emergency.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 22 January 2013, 13:54:15 »
Have the skirt slit up to the hip.  Everyone looking at her can see the weapon, in a quick-draw rig, but after talking to her a few minutes and smelling her 'perfume', they forget all about it.

Of course, as a Catgirl, she isn't going to be carrying some obscene monster gun, especially in a quick-draw rig.  I'd see something slim-line, probably an energy weapon or needler.

With the internal holster, they can't even see that much, even if the skirt is slit that high. Though I was thinking something like harem pants. Tight around the lower leg, puffy and loose around the top, with a breakaway slit in the side when necessary. I think Cassie Southern uses something similar in one of the books and hides her kris beneath.

Almost done with the character. Just sorting out bonuses and fluff. Not quite sure why I'm suddenly looking up info on 2750 forces, but tangents must be followed.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 22 January 2013, 18:02:51 »
I'd have personally gone with mini-skirt, blouse and loafers to get the the catgirl-schoolgirl look.  Chances are you're not looking for a concealed weapon in the thigh with an outfit like that.  Generally speaking, if you dress in a blouse, plaid skirt, and loafers, you're going to get stares regardless if you look good in it or not....often with lascivious intent.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 25 January 2013, 17:16:42 »
Better late than never. There's some trickery with the implants and the lost limb traits I agree, but since there isn't a GM to tell me "no!" I think I can justify it :)

Name: Catherine Annette Thompson
Height: 5'4
Weight: 130
Hair: Brunette
Eyes: Golden Cat Eyes (Implant)
Affiliation: Nagistracy of Canopus

ATTRIBUTES
STR: 4 (5)
BOD: 5
RFL: 4
DEX: 4
INT: 4
WIL: 5
CHA: 5 (6)
EDG: 3

TRAITS
Attractive: +2
Compulsion/Paranoid: -1
Connections: +2
Enemy: -1
Equipped: +8
In For Life: -3
Lost Limb: -5 (RA) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (LA) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (RL) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Lost Limb: -5 (LL) (Effectively +0 with implant)
Poor Vision: -9 (Effectively -1 with implant)
Poor Hearing: -5 (Effectively -1 with implant)
Wealth: +10

SKILLS
Language/English: +4
Language/Spanish: +0
Language/Mandarin: +0
Perception: +3 (+5)
Protocol/MoC: +1
Streetwise/MoC: +3
Leadership: +0 (+1)
Negotiation: +1 (+2)
Running: +2
Career/Spy: +1
Career/Pleasure Circus: +0
Computers: +0 (+1)
Escape Artist: +1
Stealth: +1
Tracking: +1
Acting: +2 (+3)
Investigation: +0
Martial Arts: +2
Melee Weapons: +2
MedTech: +2
Navigation/Ground: +1
Small Arms: +2
Survival/Arctic: +1

Climb: +2 (bonus provided by implants, but doesn't have the actual skill)
Acrobatics: +1 (bonus provided by implants, but doesn't have the actual skill).

IMPLANTS
Myomer Replacement Arm REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Climbing Claws (Retractable)
   Laser (3E/2; 3PPS)
   Secondary Power Supply (80 power points) (Implant +5)
Myomer Replacement Arm REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Vibroblade (4M/2, 1 PPS)
Myomer Replacement Leg REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Holster
Myomer Replacement Leg REMOVABLE; BAR 3/4/4/3 (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
   Microcomputer
Cybernetic Eye (IR) (Ignore Darkness Modifiers) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Type 4 Bionic Eye (Implant +4)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced) (Can detect Ultrasonic Frequencies) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cybernetic Ear (Enhanced) (Implant +6)
   Cosmetic Treatment
Cosmetic Beauty Enhancement (Implant +6)
Prosthetic Tail (Whip AP/BD 1M/7; 2/2/2/2) (Implant +5)
Recorder Unit (Records 12 hours of audio or visual, or 6 hours both) (Implant +6)
Communications Unit (Receive and trasmit, 100m) (Implant +6)

GEAR

BACKGROUND
Born in the back woods of Vixen, Annette's early life was similar to many who had grown up in the Magistracy during the past hundred years. Her education was limited and ended early, even with the advances the Magistracy was making due to the Trinity Alliance. He time was spent learning to hunt and track and survive in
Vixen's wilderness. Her future was limited, perhaps working at one of the many resorts that had been popping up on Vixen, or working as a guide for wealthy tourists.

And then came the Jihad. While Vixen didn't suffer from the same degree of ravishment that the Core Worlds of the Magistracy felt by the WoB, it was still targeted at times by raiders, mercenaries and WoB troops. Annette's knowledge of the wilderness and her age let her get to places where others couldn't. She could do things and not be suspected, while others lulled the attackers into a false sense of security. She ghosted across Vixen delivering messages and running supplies and even occasionally fighting when cornered. And then everything went wrong again. Perhaps it was a remnants of the 41st Shadow Division, or a terror cell left behind to sew choas, or maybe it was just a WoB trooper with a fondness for flamers and infernos, but during the Magistracy's cleanup during the Jihad, Annette was seriously wonded, splashed by napalm from an incendiary weapon, leaving her horribly scarred and mutilated. Magistracy medical attention kept her alive, but the implants necessary for her to have a normal life would cost more than she had. The Magistracy could help, but it would take time as they rebuilt from the horrors of the Jihad.

Her salvation would come with the appearance of a group of individuals in MAF uniforms with MIM insignias. They would educate her. Rebuild her. Give her purpose. She would work for them and the Magistracy, making it safe from the likes of the WoB and the Manei Domini, and anyone else that threatened the Magistracy. She accepted and they spared no expense, rebuilding her to better serve the Magistracy by gathering information in the new Inner Sphere that the Jihad left behind. Due to the nature of the extensive rebuilding that she needed, the MIM crafted her bionics to let her fit into the famed Canopian Pleasure Circuses. They would hide her in plain sight, crfting weaponry and computer assists into her limbs, while implanted communication technology allowed her to remain in contact with the MIM. Her earliest exploits in the Circuses allowed her to recover detailed information that let the Magistracy come out ahead of several trade deals that were crafted with newly independent planets from the FWL.

Cik

• Corporal
« Reply #82 on: 12 February 2013, 15:07:48 »

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 12 February 2013, 22:22:16 »
Looks about right to me...

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 14 February 2013, 20:58:49 »
...yeah, that's about 100% right actually.  Well done!

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #85 on: 14 February 2013, 21:32:05 »
Aww, reminds me of my cat, he leaves dead rattlesnakes on the front porch for me.  Sometimes they aren't entirely dead, then I'm very glad I wear thick boots as I stomp their heads in.

The female just leaves dead squirrels and crap, you know you're loved when they bring you poisonous snakes.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.