Author Topic: BA Tube Artillery - Your Thoughts?  (Read 8724 times)

wellspring

• Lieutenant
Re: BA Tube Artillery - Your Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2013, 23:27:51 »
This makes me think they would be a great way to add some organic fire support elements to a Nova (or any similar IS formation).  The omnis carry the BA into nice positions a safe distance from the enemy before moving up to engage.  This essentially gives you some cheap indirect support fire like you would get from a vehicle without bogging your more mobile 'Mechs down.  This would probably work best with lighter formations as it adds more firepower, but it would also be a useful way boost the power of everything all the way up to assaults.

I agree, but a little dezgra for us clanners. ;)

Or, to translate:

My thoughts? 'After 20 years, they finally added mortars to Battletech.'  :D

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 03 March 2013, 01:34:36 »
I agree, but a little dezgra for us clanners. ;)

Or, to translate:

True, they are not capable of carrying Davy Crocketts for use against WoB forces.... ;)

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 03 March 2013, 03:12:25 »
If I remember correctly BA tube only have a 2 map range

Check with you GM if they can spot for them selves

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2013, 08:26:40 »
For an extra bonus, they still get the Artillery Flak modifiers, right?

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #34 on: 04 March 2013, 09:28:42 »
For an extra bonus, they still get the Artillery Flak modifiers, right?

Do they have a note saying that they allow BA to shoot at aeros? Remember that as infantry units, unless they mount dedicated AA weapons they can NEVER target an airborne aero unit. BAtillery would be handy for targeting VTOLs though, assuming the rules don't mention a removal of the AAA ability.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 04 March 2013, 13:15:26 »
BA artillery doesn't get the flak bonus

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2013, 21:46:21 »
Diablo48 said:
"The omnis carry the BA into nice positions a safe distance from the enemy before moving up to engage."

*A bunch of Elementals stare it you with no comprehension, as if you are speaking a foreign language to them. Finally, one of them steps up to ask a question...*

"Let me see if I get this right...we're supposed to suit up in what is essentially a maximum tech close assault weapon...and then sit back a klick or more and avoid the actual fighting...right?"

*You note that several of the Elementals are starting to limber up for the trials of "Oh Hell No You Just Didn't" that are about to start...*

:D

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 05 March 2013, 22:18:39 »
Diablo48 said:
"The omnis carry the BA into nice positions a safe distance from the enemy before moving up to engage."

*A bunch of Elementals stare it you with no comprehension, as if you are speaking a foreign language to them. Finally, one of them steps up to ask a question...*

"Let me see if I get this right...we're supposed to suit up in what is essentially a maximum tech close assault weapon...and then sit back a klick or more and avoid the actual fighting...right?"

*You note that several of the Elementals are starting to limber up for the trials of "Oh Hell No You Just Didn't" that are about to start...*

:D

This seems like a perfect way to encourage good performance to me.  Get a few Stars worth of these things and put the lower performing troops in them.  You get some cheap fire support to back up your forces and more motivated troops in one move. O0

Honestly though, this is one piece of technology that lets BA break out of the close assault roll, so once you have invested a good chunk of your suit's mass into the tubes it has no business in close combat.  Just pile on more ammo and armor to turn them into real fire support machines capable of holding the line if needed, especially if you are using Gauss-proof assault suits.

Gryphon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 05 March 2013, 23:42:49 »
That...is an interesting idea actually, and could also be used for solomha and 2nd line troopers as well...maybe, I am a little foggy on the honor coding there,

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 06 March 2013, 00:01:26 »
That...is an interesting idea actually, and could also be used for solomha and 2nd line troopers as well...maybe, I am a little foggy on the honor coding there,

Remember, might makes right.  Besides, the Clan invested valuable resources into making those suits so they need to get used, and if warriors do not want to use them then they can conduct trials amongst themselves to figure out who gets stuck in them.

That said, I can see some higher ranking Elemental commanders choosing to use them because it gives them a much better view of the battle so they can more effectively fight and command with them.

wellspring

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 06 March 2013, 12:37:10 »

Second line maybe (depending on the clan). Solahma no.

The whole point of solahma units is that we've got aging warriors who've already proven their merits. Now we have to clear them away to make room for the new sibko graduates. We can't retire them (Diamond Sharks excepted) because our caste system means they have to stay as warriors. So we put them in situations where they can die quickly, gloriously, and cheaply. Vehicles and PBIs are perfect for this. So putting solahma into suits that are more survivable than usual defeats the purpose of having solahma units in the first place. At least give them a PA(L) with minimal armor and crammed with short range OS weapons.

(Post-jihad the clans were hurting for warriors, so I'd imagine you'd see fewer solahma units and solahma units being treated differently in this period. Certainly the post-jihad clan vehicles are much more survivable than their predecessors.)

Second line and troops are a whole different ball of wax. In some of the more liberal clans, I think "might makes right" might be enough that they can justify fielding them, at least against dezgra IS opponents. And the clans have used artillery since Klondike. Elementals already use cooperative strategies; this is just coordination at the Star rather than Point level. If BA tubes could do flak, the case would be sealed; such a suit would level the playing field at least a little in bloodname duels vs aerospace pilots.

I normally see a point of BA standing by an assault omnimech and instantly think they're bodyguards. In this case, you could run it the other way and have the mech cover for the infantry.

As for the Home Clans, well, this is IS tech and they're not likely to get a sample anytime soon. However, with their "anything goes" attitude towards non-clan opponents, this would be an obvious piece of kit for them to pick up.