Author Topic: Solaris Skunkwerks And Me  (Read 275628 times)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Solaris Skunkwerks And Me
« Reply #1470 on: 11 August 2013, 04:18:55 »
OK, I've definitely missed updating...

Where can I find it?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1471 on: 11 August 2013, 04:29:49 »
OK, I've definitely missed updating...

Where can I find it?

Here:
Solaris Skunk Werks

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1472 on: 12 August 2013, 07:13:20 »
Thanks! :)

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1473 on: 16 August 2013, 20:41:08 »
what is the appropriate proper procedure, to save some custom design from SSW... and then to import it into MM ?
their rules (not mine) = "everybody dies, and from death, some are selected to slavery"

foolish farmers fooled forth from farms, to the field, at (e.g.) Marathon, where many men met determined doom, and all others, identified, were ever after relentlessly pursued & hunted down, themselves, their families, their blood, per policy of "pasture-ization", by (e.g.) oath-sworn Hannibal, patiently, for prolonged protracted periods, to present -- those have been being The Rules, for many millennia

honor is politics... right ?

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #1474 on: 16 August 2013, 20:47:03 »
There's an "Export MTF" button at the top of the window. It looks like a piece of paper with a little blue arrow in the lower right corner. Just export that file into your "Mechs" folder in MM and you should be good to go.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1475 on: 18 August 2013, 07:03:15 »
folder hierarchy =

MM ----> data ----> mechfiles

worked well, appreciate the pointer towards the appropriate place
their rules (not mine) = "everybody dies, and from death, some are selected to slavery"

foolish farmers fooled forth from farms, to the field, at (e.g.) Marathon, where many men met determined doom, and all others, identified, were ever after relentlessly pursued & hunted down, themselves, their families, their blood, per policy of "pasture-ization", by (e.g.) oath-sworn Hannibal, patiently, for prolonged protracted periods, to present -- those have been being The Rules, for many millennia

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1476 on: 18 August 2013, 08:19:28 »
can SSW accommodate custom rules ?

e.g. i think engines should come equipped w/ "full hot boxes" i.e. HS = ER / 25, not always 10 HS, free

and i think gyros should have fractional masses, = ER / 100, e.g. 280 engine => 2.8t gyro

could SSW accommodate such personal preferences ?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1477 on: 18 August 2013, 10:22:52 »
Currently it can only accommodate custom weapons and equipment.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #1478 on: 18 August 2013, 11:48:59 »
I just found a BF bug in the latest version of SSW. It seems to be treating IS and Clan Endo-composite as Composite structure, halving the structure value in the BF stats for mechs. In one case it seems to have halved it twice -> on this mech it cut the structure from 8 to 2.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1479 on: 19 August 2013, 01:00:27 »
SSW questions / comments:

standard sprinting -- how can you make 'Mechs sprint (w/o MASC, SC) ?

quad side-stepping -- how can you make 'Mechs side-step (2MP, maintain facing forward, whilst moving laterally) ?

double HS -- i made a 'Mech, w/ Clan, and then w/ IS, DHS... and exported the file, from SSW, to .mtf... but MM cannot interpret "heatsinks: 10 Double (Clan)" or "heatsinks: 10 Double (IS)"... i only got credit, for 10 SHS... i had to manually edit the file, to read solely & simply "heatsinks: 10 Double"

MASC / SC -- i made a 'Mech, w/ MASC + SC... but whenever i moved more than Run MP, i got charged, for utilizing BOTH systems... i had wanted to alternate, one one round, the other the next...  seems as if MM ought to use the "freshest" system, for 1.5xWalkMP < MP < 2.0xWalkMP... and only employ both, for 2.0xWalkMP < MP < 2.5xWalkMP

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1480 on: 19 August 2013, 01:14:15 »
standard sprinting -- how can you make 'Mechs sprint (w/o MASC, SC) ?

Go to the Upper Toolbar → Game Options → Advanced Ground Movement tab → check TacOps Sprinting

quad side-stepping -- how can you make 'Mechs side-step (2MP, maintain facing forward, whilst moving laterally) ?

The MegaMek does it automatically for Quads, although it externally looks like the 'Mech is changing directions and moving.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1481 on: 19 August 2013, 06:30:28 »
that's a huge help (for light fast speed-dependent designs)

another quick comment...

for fast 'Mechs, movement may run / sprint off the edge of the displayed map area...

but when i resize the map ("zoom out"), whilst all the map features, and all the 'Mechs, rescale & resize...

all the "movement point numbers" laid along the intended track...

they do not resize, they seem to stay the same size...

requiring a refresh ("esc" + replot intended track of movement on map)

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1482 on: 19 August 2013, 06:43:54 »
Currently it can only accommodate custom weapons and equipment.

for 3025 designs, you can switch to E-S IS, use the tonnage to install the extra SHS i was suggesting...

first you use fractional accounting, and add an extra few tenths of a ton of (standard) armor => cost
then you add the extra SHS (you're over tonnage at this point in the process) => BV
then you switch to E-S IS => savable w/ SSW

seems to work well enough

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1483 on: 19 August 2013, 07:09:39 »
that's a huge help (for light fast speed-dependent designs)

another quick comment...

for fast 'Mechs, movement may run / sprint off the edge of the displayed map area...

but when i resize the map ("zoom out"), whilst all the map features, and all the 'Mechs, rescale & resize...

If I may advise:

It may be better to post questions about the MegaMek into dedicated MegaMek thread, instead into the Solaris Skunkwerks thread.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1484 on: 19 August 2013, 07:30:47 »
can SSW do ammo in half tons ?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1485 on: 19 August 2013, 07:37:07 »
can SSW do ammo in half tons ?

As far as I know: Only if it's a MG ammunition. I think that all other 'Mech ammo must be added in full-ton lots (per Total Warfare).

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1486 on: 19 August 2013, 08:30:14 »
could half-ton ammo be an optional rule ?

could you (or someone) please provide a pre-formatted file for custom (range) weapons ?  i tried adding a "Clan Improved Large Pulse Laser" (2 crits vs. 3), and wound up with a java error "102.java...." "array out of bounds" or some such

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1487 on: 19 August 2013, 08:59:04 »
Last week I finally got around to installing SSW on the new computer.   I got the latest version and the recommended Java.  Program runs really slow.  To the point where I can't tell if it's froze or not sometimes. 

I'm running windows 8 and I've heard microsoft put some heavy restriction on java after that security scare awhile back.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2013, 14:15:25 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1488 on: 19 August 2013, 12:01:09 »
As far as I know: Only if it's a MG ammunition. I think that all other 'Mech ammo must be added in full-ton lots (per Total Warfare).
In SSW, there's the "Fractional Accounting" option, on the basic setup tab in the bottom middle. To turn that on you have to have it set to Experimental Tech rules level. Then to get a partial tonnage ammo bin, add an ammo bin like normal, right click on the bin and click on "set lot size". That lets you pick the number of rounds of ammo in the bin and sets the weight proportional to the number of rounds in a full ton.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1489 on: 19 August 2013, 12:10:18 »
In SSW, there's the "Fractional Accounting" option, on the basic setup tab in the bottom middle. To turn that on you have to have it set to Experimental Tech rules level. Then to get a partial tonnage ammo bin, add an ammo bin like normal, right click on the bin and click on "set lot size". That lets you pick the number of rounds of ammo in the bin and sets the weight proportional to the number of rounds in a full ton.

Thanks.

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #1490 on: 19 August 2013, 12:14:29 »

That sounds like a bug.  If you report it here: http://sourceforge.net/p/megamek/bugs/, someone will look into it.  Try to be as detailed as you can in the report, and including a screenshot could help.
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1491 on: 20 August 2013, 06:30:08 »

that's what i wanted to know, let's me do a Dragon w/ PPC + AC-5 + 1.0@ + 0.5@ + 12.5tons armor

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1492 on: 20 August 2013, 09:45:26 »
when you make a custom design, can you choose an "over-head view of the 'Mech" for MM ?

or, are you always simply stuck w/ the standard MM default icon, a rifleman-like icon for bipeds, and a scorpion-like icon for quads ?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #1493 on: 20 August 2013, 10:37:52 »
when you make a custom design, can you choose an "over-head view of the 'Mech" for MM ?

or, are you always simply stuck w/ the standard MM default icon, a rifleman-like icon for bipeds, and a scorpion-like icon for quads ?

Edit the localclient_mechset.txt in the data/images/units folder.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1494 on: 20 August 2013, 12:45:39 »
wow works well

i'll upload my custom pix for sake of argument

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1495 on: 21 August 2013, 03:17:08 »
what is the way to create custom weapons w/in SSW ?

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1496 on: 21 August 2013, 04:09:02 »
Here's the link to that explains how to add new weapons & gear.  If you run in to problems search this thread, there are quite a few posts regarding it.
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/custom-weapons
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Bismarck

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1497 on: 21 August 2013, 09:45:11 »
Thanks, found what I needed. My biggest stumbling block with adding full custom weapons using the blank Custom Equipment.ods file was not knowing what each of the values needed to be. The Equipment.ods file has it all there already, so I just needed to make a couple of value changes. I went ahead and tweaked the existing weapons, since I didn't want to have double entries cluttering up the list (I'm a little OCD). I can back up the modified files for when a newer version of Skunk Werks comes out.

I got everything working quite nicely using my copy of Office 2010. I didn't find it that painful of a process  :P

that is the answer, simply quickly copy & paste from "Equipment.ods" ----> "Custom Equipment.ods"...

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #1498 on: 21 August 2013, 10:06:43 »

Thread locked for page limit reached. 

New thread here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,32391.0.html
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Register