Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 188502 times)

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #930 on: 06 June 2013, 17:15:40 »
Despite the fluff it seems pretty terrifying. >.>

I think the Hanse is pretty much terrifying. I´d swap the LAC/5 for something more defensive, but as a whole, that thing can go hunting MBTs above its´ weight class.

Huh. The Predator looks more like a Jagdpanzer IV to me. Go Fig.

Pretty much so, yes.

it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #931 on: 06 June 2013, 17:17:24 »
Personally I believe:

(1) the federated suns is not a staff favorite

(2) the current fate of the federated suns has nothing to do with #1. Despite my frequent disagreement with their decisions, I believe TPTB are professional enough to keep from extinguishing a faction simply because of personal bias.

(3) the current state of the federated suns is a good thing because it means a chance to fight, and that we're rid of caleb (as well as fairweather fans who only liked the suns because the outlook was, well, sunny.) It will also give us something to point to, to people who still believe that because the federated suns did well in the 4th succession war, pulled out a draw in the war of 39, and then bludgeoned itsself silly in time for the jihad, that the suns are "always winning."

(4) I'm pretty sure the similarities between the Federated Suns now, and the Federated Suns in the first succession war are intentional. The Suns may have drank deep of stone's kool-aid, but if they do not kill us now, and bury the head seperate from the body, that we will rise up and strike back so hard that clan ghost bear will have to deliver us a "Welcome to the neighborhood" basket.

My opinion of the art in the book varies, but its mostly a matter of personal aesthetic preferences. the art is well executed, I just dont like the way a lot of dark age mechs were depicted to begin with. My opinion of the unit stats varies as well (I dont have much use for Stealth Armor, but I'm really liking the destrier/ballista, and I like the AS7-D2 variant a lot.)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #932 on: 06 June 2013, 17:19:35 »
You know...Am I the only one who looks at the Hanse and goes: "OK...I will field two of these, and either 2 Challengers
or 2 Zibblers...I know where the enemy is going to want to go on the Hanse, after all...."

I think, "I wonder if my AToW character can get away with driving a Zibbler instead of a Crimson Streak or Aston Martin Fiver." But I don't think that traffic wardens approve. I should probably think more martially.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #933 on: 06 June 2013, 17:20:44 »
Exactly, the Hanse Tank Destroyers cover the front while the turreted units cover the sides and rear. And while I was disappointed by the turretless design of the Hanse, the Davions still have plenty of Challengers and other heavy MBT's to call upon to fill that role. One more might be excessive(even for us Davions  :D).
Made by HikageMaru

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #934 on: 06 June 2013, 17:31:38 »

My comment was a response to another players assertion that the responses we were receiving in this TRO thread were by a vocal minority rather than the majority of Federated Suns players who just weren't representing themselves. What was nice to see was the reaction to the original post where there was a surge of passionate and excited Federated Suns players that are thrilled by the new setting or at least up to accepting the challenge.

Hm, alright. So the rage wasn't even justified. In that case I apologize for some of the harsher words. ;)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #935 on: 06 June 2013, 17:34:12 »
Hm, alright. So the rage wasn't even justified. In that case I apologize for some of the harsher words. ;)

Apology accepted in the interest of selling you mechs to shoot falcons and wolves with... and for other rational, sane, unoffended human being reasons.

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #936 on: 06 June 2013, 17:38:07 »
Only your premium line aka Vulture IV/Savage Wolf fullfill my minmaxed requirements. ;)
You can keep that Stalking spider and Koshi garbage. :P

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #937 on: 06 June 2013, 17:38:57 »
You can keep that Stalking spider and Koshi garbage. :P

Thats what the periphery and hard luck mercenaries are for.  ;D

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #938 on: 06 June 2013, 17:43:09 »
Not according to fluff... :/
Melissa II's and Vedet Brewster's ****** seems to have impacted the Commonwealth rather deeply... even in the procurement office.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #939 on: 06 June 2013, 17:52:03 »
I think there are more apologies on this thread than I've seen on the rest of the forum.

Anyhow, I rather like the Gunsmith, granted it's not the most durable little heat hog but I'd like to try a few for a head hunter op  >:D

I really want minis of these 'Mechs, though I've said that about all the 3145 TROs  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #940 on: 06 June 2013, 18:01:37 »
I really want minis of these 'Mechs, though I've said that about all the 3145 TROs  O0

GW apparently got rid of all of their pewter mini's because of rising metal costs. But I really want all of these TRO mini's. Need Tiburons.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #941 on: 06 June 2013, 18:48:01 »
I wonder if the Atlas pilot likes to play 'Pull My Finger'?  :D

Nah, that's part of the aiming macro for the Laser TIC.  ;D
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #942 on: 06 June 2013, 20:36:46 »
GW apparently got rid of all of their pewter mini's because of rising metal costs. But I really want all of these TRO mini's. Need Tiburons.

Who cares what GW does? I honestly hate the feel of resin and like the satisfying weight of pewter or steel and would take it anytime as a choice. And I for one can't wait to feel the weight of the Atlas III in my hand.  :)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #943 on: 06 June 2013, 23:00:11 »
Who cares what GW does? I honestly hate the feel of resin and like the satisfying weight of pewter or steel and would take it anytime as a choice. And I for one can't wait to feel the weight of the Atlas III in my hand.  :)

I'm the same way with resin vs metal. While I will definitely be getting an Atlas III if/when it gets a mini I also have plenty of units from these TROs that I'd purchase multiples of. The day we start getting Vulpes, Black Knights, and Gunsmiths there WILL be a demand driven spike in the metals market.  [drool]
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #944 on: 06 June 2013, 23:04:59 »
Oh man, Era Report 3145's character section. Caleb is more savvy than many give him credit for. (skills wise)

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #945 on: 06 June 2013, 23:30:38 »
Oh man, Era Report 3145's character section. Caleb is more savvy than many give him credit for. (skills wise)

Indeed. Caleb's planned attack on New Samarkand would have worked, IMO. Too bad the Snow Ravens sold him out.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #946 on: 06 June 2013, 23:46:44 »
I'm the same way with resin vs metal. While I will definitely be getting an Atlas III if/when it gets a mini I also have plenty of units from these TROs that I'd purchase multiples of. The day we start getting Vulpes, Black Knights, and Gunsmiths there WILL be a demand driven spike in the metals market.  [drool]

Number of units in existing new TRO's: approx. 3 BA, 8 tanks and 10 mechs for one TRO. Multitpy that in 8-fold: 80 mechs, e.t.c

Speed of making a new minis for IWM: Four in month.   

Ergo: At least two years for mechs only, and we still not have all minis even for TRO3075, first published in 2008!

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #947 on: 07 June 2013, 00:00:31 »
What do people here think of the Hollander III?

At first, I saw it as a slower version of the RoTS Blade.... but I am rather enamored with the D3.....

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #948 on: 07 June 2013, 00:06:40 »
I'd rather use the Blade. *shrugs* Guess I'm a big Blade fan. *pet pets his Clicky ELH Blade*
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #949 on: 07 June 2013, 00:09:32 »
I'd rather use the Blade. *shrugs* Guess I'm a big Blade fan. *pet pets his Clicky ELH Blade*

There's a reason I have 2 Blades in my forces, plus a pair of Nyx....etc.
I favor light stuff..... I have a 5 ton vehicle I use with an er small and twin rocket 10's --- along with 9/14 movement...

But as a support to those Blades, the D3 is rather nice

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

The_head_of_Neal

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #950 on: 07 June 2013, 00:58:14 »
is this going to be availible in paperback at Origins or GenCon?

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #951 on: 07 June 2013, 01:07:06 »
Indeed. Caleb's planned attack on New Samarkand would have worked, IMO. Too bad the Snow Ravens sold him out.

Still, most Fed Suns fans here seem glad to see him gone.  They're NOT glad about the 13 commands that went down with him--especially the Davion Heavy Guards!

Whatever beef the Ravens had with Caleb, was it really necessary for them to engineer as situation that would cost the AFFS so many commands, especially a few very high-profile ones?

Other question:  who was the one who really started the disarmanent of the AFFS?  Is it really all Harrison Davion's fault, or can some of the blame be placed with Yvonne?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #952 on: 07 June 2013, 01:24:10 »
Still, most Fed Suns fans here seem glad to see him gone.  They're NOT glad about the 13 commands that went down with him--especially the Davion Heavy Guards!

Whatever beef the Ravens had with Caleb, was it really necessary for them to engineer as situation that would cost the AFFS so many commands, especially a few very high-profile ones?

Other question:  who was the one who really started the disarmanent of the AFFS?  Is it really all Harrison Davion's fault, or can some of the blame be placed with Yvonne?

cheers,

Gabe

I doubt Caleb was a motivating factor in the Snow Raven betrayal. My guess is the Khan was planning this for a long time against both the Dracs and Feds. Bad luck the Federated Suns was more vulnerable (trusting) than the Dracs.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #953 on: 07 June 2013, 01:26:52 »

From a clan point of view, is one house really inherently worth more than another? One might make the suggestion that the only thing that actually attracted Sterling Mckenna to the Davions was the man Caleb pushed off the balcony.

On the geopolitical side, the Ravens get to profit in worlds from both sides of the conflict while the main event is going on.

On the personal side, the killer of McKenna's lover gets to suffer for his actions.

Win win.

The only thing that could make it sweeter is if Caleb had survived to be captured, and thus get to watch as everything he'd worked for turned to ash.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #954 on: 07 June 2013, 01:45:17 »
After having at last some time to read it more carefully, I'll say I have found a new love : the Vulpes. 5/8, 2 C ERLLs and a TC at 5/8 make my day. I can so much imagine the mischief with this one...  >:D

The new Black Knight is neat too, but I must say, I've been waiting for this one for so long I may be biaised too.  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #955 on: 07 June 2013, 01:59:56 »
From a clan point of view, is one house really inherently worth more than another? One might make the suggestion that the only thing that actually attracted Sterling Mckenna to the Davions was the man Caleb pushed off the balcony.

You know, I had the Raven backstab pegged as a disabling stroke against one potential enemy (AFFS), and keeping another too busy to threaten them (DCMS). Had forgotten all about Sterling/Harrison. Doh! Yup, Caleb was dead meat walking onto Palmyra.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Gustav Kuriga

• Warrant Officer
  • Fluffeh Fennec
« Reply #956 on: 07 June 2013, 02:11:40 »
You know, I had the Raven backstab pegged as a disabling stroke against one potential enemy (AFFS), and keeping another too busy to threaten them (DCMS). Had forgotten all about Sterling/Harrison. Doh! Yup, Caleb was dead meat walking onto Palmyra.

When will people learn that the proper way to do it is to hire Clan Sea Fox for all your travel needs? Ravens are scavengers, just waiting for the right moment to strike at a weak foe, while us foxes had better stick together... for the right price.    >:D
that's nonsense you loon. i use a hammer to drive screws and I ENJOY IT  - Cik

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #957 on: 07 June 2013, 05:13:04 »
For all of the talk of disarmament, consider if you will how many new units
thus far have been noted.  A mere skimming of TRO3145 FS gleaned me the
following.

4th Robinson Strikers
6th Periphery Guard
8th Avalon Hussars
2nd New Ivaarsen Chasseurs
Morill Draconis March Militia

Ok now one of the above is a rebuilt unit of historic note, the others are new....or new to us.
We might assume they're at LCT level for the most part, but even so if we're fielding more stuff
than in 3085, it is not disarmament is it?

We may also imagine that if there's a 4th Robinson or 6th Periphery, then there likely may be
preceding units numerically.  Also maybe other units like a 7th or ongoing, well a chap can hope.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #958 on: 07 June 2013, 05:22:29 »
Rorke, you're missing that the disarmament was 'MECHS ONLY

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #959 on: 07 June 2013, 06:04:00 »
I think Kitsune's point was more along the lines of "If GW (with their larger customer base) had to abandon metal because it was too expensive, IWM (with it's comparatively smaller customer base) may be well-advised to investigate other materials."

But I could be wrong.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)