Author Topic: Blaine's Latest Blog  (Read 207276 times)

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Old School Wargaming...
« Reply #210 on: 31 January 2012, 23:00:17 »
yeah but simply translating the way they showed game maps in the magazines would work, ie each chit is slightly offset in the stack so you can see how many units are there

a minimap similar to Megamek would also work, you dont leave your main map and you can see the map and click to areas you wish to take a closer look at
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

IvanR

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #211 on: 01 February 2012, 01:11:37 »
there are many many many computer wargames based on PanzerBlitz and it's ilk. The old TalonSoft titles (The ACW, Napoleonics, East Front II/West Front/Rising Sun WW2 titles) sand box games like The Operational Art of War, anything by HPS Simulations, the Combat Mission games, then the more serious stuff like TacOps, Decisive Action, AATF etc etc

that's not to mention the stuff like VASSAL/VASL for ASL.

Battlefront.com, Matrixgames (which has re-released and updated the Steel Panther games - MBT and WW2), are just a few of the more modern companies(or used to be - I haven't worked in the COTS milsim area for a while now.)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #212 on: 01 February 2012, 07:17:28 »
Buck:

If you come to Origins we might be able to get a game of Panzerblitz in!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #213 on: 01 February 2012, 07:53:37 »
Suddenly I got that weird urge to play a TOAW scenario.
Shoot first, laugh later.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #214 on: 01 February 2012, 13:10:20 »
still wondering, did anyone ever do a PC or Online version of PanzerBlitz or Panzer Leader
I don't know about those, but I know few other GREAT tank games:
Steel Panthers: World at War
WinSPWW2
WinSPMBT

SPWAW and WinSPWW2 have a lot of common: Second World War is major part in both of them. WinSPMBT covers tank warfare after that. Plenty of PBI and arty in all of them, some fortifications and boats too, but aircrafts (helicopters aside) zoom over the map as they do in BattleTech's aerospace ground support rules and don't fight each other.

[edit]
And all those games are better than World of Tanks. Are we clear? >:(
« Last Edit: 01 February 2012, 13:11:58 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #215 on: 02 February 2012, 01:35:38 »
I still remember that nice surprise all those years ago when my AA guns actually managed to bring down an attacking aircraft, before that I thought they are unstoppable.
Shoot first, laugh later.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #216 on: 02 February 2012, 05:13:45 »
Avalon Hill,,,ahhh the days come back to me.PanzerLeader came out with a Playstation game back in 92' and alliedleader a year later,but never compared to the real board game.One of the 1st "wargames" I played back in 78' was The Blue and the Gray,,anyone remimber who put it out?Not to mention "Woodenships and Iornmen" was hella'kewl naval warfare.
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

IvanR

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #217 on: 02 February 2012, 05:22:19 »
One of the 1st "wargames" I played back in 78' was The Blue and the Gray,,anyone remimber who put it out?

SPI

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #218 on: 02 February 2012, 07:29:39 »
Not to mention "Woodenships and Iornmen" was hella'kewl naval warfare.

Agreed!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #219 on: 02 February 2012, 16:54:52 »
Ah, yes, "Wooden ships and Iron Men." And Panzer Blitz/Panzer Leader.  A lot of people don't realize that "Arab-Israeli Wars" is the "modern" third of that trifecta. Just so you know. :)

You want to see real old school war-gaming, though? Try this:

It's the "Battle for the Moathouse" that creates the ruin from the AD&D module T1 The Village of Hommlett and the later Compilation T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil. This pic is from the Lake Geneva Gamin Con in 2008. the first time they ran it, the players were Gary & Ernie Gygax, Rob Kuntz, and several of the "old guys."

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
The Cuban Missile Crisis...
« Reply #220 on: 04 February 2012, 14:12:55 »
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #221 on: 04 February 2012, 14:15:10 »
NICE PHOTO...   That there is some gamin' 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Writing in multiple genres
« Reply #222 on: 11 February 2012, 15:25:27 »
Author

Prillotashekta

• Master Sergeant
  • Whee!
Re: Writing in multiple genres
« Reply #223 on: 11 February 2012, 17:46:39 »
When it comes to typecasting authors into particular genres, one name always springs to mind:

Isaac Asimov
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
-Charles Darwin

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
A review of 11/22/63 by Stephen King and a rant on conspiracy theories
« Reply #224 on: 18 February 2012, 12:51:54 »
I can't pass up a good rant!

http://bpardoe.blogspot.com/2012/02/kings-book-112263-and-problem-with.html

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: A review of 11/22/63 by Stephen King and a rant on conspiracy theories
« Reply #225 on: 18 February 2012, 13:24:37 »
The Problem with the conspiracy theories about the JFK Assassination is there are so many of them, each contricting the others. If there was a real conspiracy in that event, it has been buried under an avalanche of theories to the point that it is lost.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), Two "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," and "Shadows of the Past," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Three White Roses," and "The Markslaughter Files."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." "In the Shadow of Dragons" (Out July 15th!) and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Blaine writing about a mercenary?
« Reply #226 on: 26 February 2012, 16:27:23 »
A real-life one to boot!   My latest blot post explains...

http://bpardoe.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-bert-hall-book-project-is-leaping.html

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

fltadm

• Captain
Re: Blaine writing about a mercenary?
« Reply #227 on: 26 February 2012, 16:34:37 »
Could he truly be call a mercanery as he was a member of the French Armed Forces, and later the American (Including all the rules and regulations that go with it) as opposed to someone like Mad Mike Hoare
No Matter where you go,there you are

,,,,gotta lov "Space Cougers"

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #228 on: 26 February 2012, 16:59:16 »
I think I read about this guy when I went to the Air Force museum back in December.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #229 on: 01 March 2012, 19:30:47 »
Could he truly be call a mercanery as he was a member of the French Armed Forces, and later the American (Including all the rules and regulations that go with it) as opposed to someone like Mad Mike Hoare

Ah, a common misconception - The French Foreign Legion is only marginally part of the French Army.  Hall never served in the American forces - and for several years he was a General in the Chinese Air Force - brought in as a merc to head up air services in Nanking. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #230 on: 01 March 2012, 21:38:10 »
Quite apart from everything else...but the Foreign Legion is a part of the French Army; no 'marginal' about it.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #231 on: 02 March 2012, 14:59:26 »
Excatly my point, though with China (not American my bad) things get a lot mor funky

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #232 on: 04 March 2012, 12:27:03 »
The oath to join the Legion does not require an oath to defend France.  The Legion, while part of the military heirarchy, does not require any of the normal recruitment requirements of any French military unit.  In 1914 the Legion was seen as attached to the French military rather than an integral part of it. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
My inspiration as a writer...
« Reply #233 on: 04 March 2012, 12:27:49 »
Author

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #234 on: 04 March 2012, 12:37:42 »
Well no matter, when the book comes out let us know and some of us will most certainly buy it. I always enjoyed WW-I avaition history myself.  :)
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #235 on: 04 March 2012, 14:39:21 »
"Was seen as" is not the same as "Not a part of".  The Foreign Legion has always served France directly (even when it was going against elected politcal leadership) and has always been part of the French military.  There is no room to give on this because it is not a feeling or an idea; it is a political, legal, and historical reality.

Not, an individual who has, is, or will serve in the Legion can certainly consider himself a mercenary, even while in...but that does not change the Legion's status as an organ of the French Army.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
Re: My inspiration as a writer...
« Reply #236 on: 04 March 2012, 15:05:12 »
That was a good read. 

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #237 on: 05 March 2012, 15:24:43 »
You pulled a 'Kirk' and got the job with bluff and bravado. Congratulations, sir.

That was a nifty little insight.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

fltadm

• Captain
« Reply #238 on: 05 March 2012, 16:08:43 »
Well it is better that pulling a Kirk and trying to get the job with a flying leg kick.

Still it is amazing how many people where inspired by the show.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
The start of the coming summer book tour(s)
« Reply #239 on: 11 March 2012, 15:00:32 »
Planning the first wave of the summer book tour(s):  http://bpardoe.blogspot.com/2012/03/preparing-for-summer-book-tours.html

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author