Author Topic: Blaine's Latest Blog  (Read 206235 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Blaine's Latest Blog
« Reply #810 on: 22 May 2016, 22:15:11 »
Nice, i can't wait for it come out. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #811 on: 23 May 2016, 09:53:19 »
I'm going to have to reserve judgement until I see it, but I'm always down for mysteries being solved. One of the most frustrating stories I've read in the "lore" is the opening of Interstellar Players 3. I really hate when something is a mystery purely because it was concealed from the reader/viewer.

And if I don't like it, I can always ignore it. As far as I'm concerned, the Black Thorns never existed. ;D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #812 on: 23 May 2016, 15:28:58 »
Could you give us a keyword or two as a hint to the setting or faction?

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #813 on: 23 May 2016, 18:12:16 »
Cant wait to buy it

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #814 on: 27 May 2016, 08:06:04 »
Hints?  Well, I'm going to leverage characters from some of my own books and those of other authors.  There are connections to at least six of the other novels.  This book will fill in some gaps in BattleTech history. 

The Clans play a dominant role in this book.  You'll see some old friends and enemies.  I'm writing about one Clan that has not gotten a lot of airplay in terms of fiction - which I have to admit it kind of fun. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe 
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #815 on: 29 May 2016, 16:56:02 »
My latest - kicking off a new true crime book...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/05/29/its-research-weekend/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #816 on: 05 June 2016, 10:41:36 »
Doc Savage - need I say more?

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/06/05/doc-savage/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #817 on: 05 June 2016, 18:45:42 »
Bronze-skinned Dwayne Johnson playing the Man of Bronze excites me. Personally, I hope they do it period (1930s), and address the fact he isn't white by not addressing it.  Much like Disney's Princess and the Frog.  Essentially create an alternate universe (since it already is one) where we were better than we were (are).  A world where race didn't matter.  It might not be historically accurate, but then the movie isn't anyway.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #818 on: 05 June 2016, 19:02:13 »
I wonder how the movie's going to do.  IIRC, Dwayne's movie career hasn't been doing so well in recent years (and I don't think that it was exactly ever great to begin with).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #819 on: 06 June 2016, 18:46:37 »
And now, my Game of Thrones predictions!

A man is impatient...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/game-of-throne-season-7-my-predictions/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #820 on: 06 June 2016, 21:46:55 »
Interesting predictions, I would only say that proximity matters in her cry for help so me thinks that small hand is the more available choice. Unless they get on those Iron Ships which must have found the Northwest Passage or something during last weeks episode cause they got to Slaver's Bay awful quick.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #821 on: 18 June 2016, 11:04:11 »
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #822 on: 21 June 2016, 19:43:08 »
Author

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #823 on: 23 June 2016, 14:12:22 »
Nice. I can identify with that last one.

Thankfully, I haven't found too much in the way of gamer posers, yet. Though, I imagine they exist. It's one thing with the new Comic hero movies and the resurgence of Star Wars to have people who are getting into it simply because it's the new trend. It happened with Anime back in the 90s and early first decade of the 21st century.

"I love anime! I'm a huge fan!"

"Cool. Which ones?"

"Uhhhh… Dragon Ball Z. What other ones are there?"

I've seen and heard about people telling folks they're not 'true fans' because they couldn't make the premier of Star Wars VII. That's not, in my opinion, how a true fan is defined.

Not much of that in gaming, as far as I've seen.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #824 on: 24 June 2016, 00:41:22 »
I hate the "fake geek" meme.  It's nothing but putting down people because they don't have the exact same hobbies as you. I've stopped patronizing game stores because the staff pulled that kind of thing- had one store where I walked out in the middle of buying $150 worth of minis because the owner decided to mock me for being a Battletech fan instead of a 40k fan.  Told him that if that was how he felt, he clearly didn't need my business and left.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #825 on: 24 June 2016, 20:01:38 »
I'm glad old school RPG is coming back, i've was fortunately play with one of the original designers of early D&D games. It was fun experience playing original version of D&D.  I guess it does help have one the original writers as as a GM helps magnify the experience a bit!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #826 on: 30 June 2016, 19:38:35 »
Season Six GoT recap and predictions for the rest of the series...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/game-of-thrones-season-6-recap-and-predictions-for-the-rest-of-the-series/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #827 on: 06 July 2016, 18:22:27 »
Author

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #828 on: 06 July 2016, 19:09:00 »
Ugh, that was entirely too true.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #829 on: 06 July 2016, 21:48:55 »
Yet another reason I never want a civilian job.  Now that I know I can go to 30 and retire for good, that's my plan.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #830 on: 10 July 2016, 12:04:53 »
A review of Captain America - The Ultimate Guide to the First Avenger...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/review-of-captain-america-the-ultimate-guide-to-the-first-avenger-by-matt-forbeck/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #831 on: 17 July 2016, 13:25:57 »
A non-spoiler review of Ghostbusters...

https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/non-spoiler-review-of-ghostbusters/

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #832 on: 17 July 2016, 16:49:50 »
I guess you can call me one of the trolls.  I did not like the first trailer.  The ghosts looked like they came out of Haunted Mansion.  Mckinnon licked the proton pistol things which was cringe worthy as all get out.  Leslie Jones comes off as one of the most horrible stereotype characters I have seen in quite awhile.  Between the three trailers the comedy, to me, ran the gamut from unfunny to downright cringe worthy. 

Episode VII fooled me, I did not expect it to parallel Episode IV like it did.  The Ghostbuster trailers showed enough parallels to the first Ghostbusters movie for me to lose interest.  I have had enough reboots/re-imaginings to last me for quite awhile.

I have no particular attachment to the cast, I don't find them to be very funny.  Toss in Melissa McCarthy stating all the "trolls" are 42 year old virgins living in their mothers basement pretty much seals the deal. 

Oh, and most reviews saying something along the lines of
With all due respect (none) for the internet trolls
and
A total protonic reversal on the cynical internet trolls!
comes off as someone trying to hard to like it and as virtue signaling.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #833 on: 17 July 2016, 17:16:18 »
You can dislike anything.  That doesn't make you a troll.  A troll is when everybody else must dislike it or you will throw a fit. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #834 on: 17 July 2016, 17:22:16 »
You can dislike anything.  That doesn't make you a troll.  A troll is when everybody else must dislike it or you will throw a fit.
Used to be.  Now it seems if you disagree with something your automatically labeled.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #835 on: 17 July 2016, 18:24:54 »
You haven't seen what the trolls were up to then (which if you'd been following anything about this movie would have been hard to do).  The vitriol coming from certain groups prior to this film's release has been overwhelming.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #836 on: 17 July 2016, 19:11:21 »
You haven't seen what the trolls were up to then (which if you'd been following anything about this movie would have been hard to do).  The vitriol coming from certain groups prior to this film's release has been overwhelming.
I have.  The only ones reported/shown are the loonies.  Toss out the loonies and i don't disagree. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #837 on: 17 July 2016, 21:02:54 »
I'm unsure of what point you're trying to make.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #838 on: 18 July 2016, 12:02:22 »
Perhaps that a good deal of the criticism, or rather scepticism, was not rooted in misogyny. You don't need to hate women to be sceptic when the first trailer starts with a joke to make Scary Movie look sophisticated ("very hard to wash off" - yeah, slime in the vulva, or as they say "crack", is 'funny'...).
Sure the misogynists have jumped the bandwagon, but to say they have been solely responsible for this reaction is far from true. Sony just tried to spin it that way by, e.g., actively removing constructive and well balanced arguments from the YT-feed but leaving the silly hate posts in plain sight. Feig also tried to victimize himself and his crew. Then you have some media saying this movie is a strike against patriarchy. (I for one am not sure it will help the oppressed women in the 3rd world a lot, though).

This is 2016 and we have witnessed countless blockbuster movies with strong female leads, especially in Sci-Fi, none of which have received such negative reactions. It is just a marketing strategy claiming this movie stirred up all these reactions because of the female leads. I would have liked to watch the movie, but I do refuse to support such dishonest tactics which are deeply anti-liberal: a deliberate reductio ad absurdum falsely accusing every opposing view of being based on whatever is considered amoral. That is the opposite of open dialog.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #839 on: 18 July 2016, 12:15:30 »
I notice he said nothing about McCarthy or Wiig performances. McCarthy is the main reason I won't watch the film as I think of her as the female version of Will Ferrell, an actor who sucks more life out of a movie than is being put in. Wiig is just not that funny.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner