Author Topic: Solaris Skunk Werks and Me -- Volume the Second  (Read 98443 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Solaris Skunk Werks and Me -- Volume the Second
« Reply #390 on: 19 July 2020, 16:45:01 »
Mordel’s?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #391 on: 19 July 2020, 17:04:56 »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #392 on: 19 July 2020, 17:12:00 »
Sorry what?
Mordel.net It's arguably one the oldest of the surviving BattleTech forums outside the official one.  The guys who run that website were involved in Project Phoenix which essentially saved (my opinion) the unseens from disappearing completely.

They have a online mech builder program on their website.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #393 on: 19 July 2020, 17:36:29 »
I was not aware of that one.  I'll have a look thanks

The web based designer for everything would be great and potentially accessible anywhere or even a mobile app would be cool if we were able to save the designs id pay money for that kind of access

SSW is a great program when it works but I found my laptop didn't like it when I tried to put it on.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #394 on: 31 August 2020, 11:11:52 »
Where is the SSW bug reporting page or forum? I have a problem with Windows 10 and version 0.7.3.20200413 that I'd like to report.

Thanks!

Edit: Well, that fixed it. So the problem was on Windows 10 and 0.7.3.20200413: When I started the program and selected the Open option, the system would never populate the list of designs. It'd simply wait and wait.

Workaround: navigate into the SSW_Master directory and delete the index.ssi file. That forces SSW to regenerate the missing (possibly corrupted) file.

Edit 2020-Oct-28: I just remembered I needed to let you all know that the problem was with my entering a value with an embedded comma in the "Source" field. This caused the parser to have a fit. It looks like it's been fixed though, at least in nightly versions.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2020, 08:31:31 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #395 on: 13 September 2020, 11:12:37 »
So I'd like to announce a new Stable release of SSW, 0.7.4. You can download it from Here or the website

I'd suggest reading the release notes as there's a massive change in the way that the data files are handled. Those of you that use custom equipment will need to read the custom equipment guide in the release notes.

I'd also recommend making a duplicate of your mech and vehicle files and transfer that copy over, just incase there were unintended consequences of the conversion to the new equipment format.
https://sites.google.com/a/solarisskunkwerks.com/site/

A new Master list of units will be coming once I'm slightly more sure that we didn't break everything.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #396 on: 13 September 2020, 15:38:27 »
Cool i just got this one working right so bring it on!

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #397 on: 13 September 2020, 20:19:01 »
This is fantastic  :thumbsup:

To everyone working on this, great job everyone.

Phantom000

• Corporal
« Reply #398 on: 26 March 2021, 08:57:29 »
I'm having trouble getting it to work on my new desktop. I unzip the files into a separate folder, like before, click on the SSW executable for java and the picture of Pepe Le pew comes up and then nothing at all. I tried a couple different versions but same thing happens, it just doesn't come up.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #399 on: 26 March 2021, 09:39:51 »
Maybe check your java install?

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #400 on: 15 August 2022, 22:54:48 »
Have the quirks tables been fixed yet for SAW & SSW? I remember one of the older builds having it work briefly, but ever since 7.2 iirc nothing can be added. I ask simply because there's been times where my 'net has died, I got bored so started designing, but don't have access to the full quirks list which I like to add as flavor to my designs (Sarna site is my friend).

Also, there's a weird glitch with 'Mech turrets, where if you make a design an Omni, you're either forced to get a turret that always shows as 0.0 tons and nothing can be added to it, or it and the weapon(s) on it are locked & hard mounted (Sarath of course shows that isn't true), or it occasionally gives a fatal error/has you restart from scratch. Same error also pops up randomly if switching back from an interface cockpit to normal, if you haven't added a gyro back in yet - it ALWAYS crashes the design in my experience.

I'd comment over at the GitHub page, but I'm not sure where to post requests/issues there.
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #401 on: 16 August 2022, 14:49:02 »
Who the person(s) still active here whom are developers.  I've not heard much, I like SSW very much so.
While the MegaMekLab is all encompassing, I'm very grateful for it. I find the SSW is more user friendly.

I hope someone still active with the project.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

AngryButler with a KNIFE!

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #402 on: 16 August 2022, 20:36:27 »
Who the person(s) still active here whom are developers.  I've not heard much, I like SSW very much so.
While the MegaMekLab is all encompassing, I'm very grateful for it. I find the SSW is more user friendly.

I hope someone still active with the project.
There's been activity back in June from what it looks like, possibly a minor bug fix for an upcoming version - if its ever released.  However again, as I don't know where on the GitHub page to make a comment/request, and I know that GitHub overall can be......touchy......if you don't know how to program and start asking questions, I'm hesitant to stick my nose in.
I love my Wiesel XII. Yes, yes I do.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #403 on: 15 January 2023, 02:51:12 »
Does anyone know if there is a means to support SSW through a patreon or similar?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #404 on: 15 January 2023, 09:58:23 »
As much as what I am about to say may not be what you want to hear but honestly SSW receiving any money is a path to problems best avoided.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #405 on: 15 January 2023, 15:14:09 »
As much as what I am about to say may not be what you want to hear but honestly SSW receiving any money is a path to problems best avoided.

I can get that.

It's just a cool project that I can't help with in any other way.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #406 on: 15 January 2023, 15:50:32 »
What can be done to help support the development of SSW beyond offering gratitude, filling bug reports, and learning Java is limited.

If that list can be expanded will depend on if TPTB ever do get their call for official designer software answered or not.  Which hey even if it's more likely that one of us will win the lotto than SSW and CGL getting together and figuring something out to where SSW can be the official designer that is still a non-zero possibility.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #407 on: 06 March 2023, 18:56:03 »
Just to make sure I'm not missing something in the current release, SSW does not presently support Land-Air-'Mechs (LAMs), correct?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #408 on: 13 June 2023, 05:32:29 »
I did encounter a bug with SSW that when you load up a Primitive Battlemech design and it shows up as allowing Omnimechs to be made with primitive tech on Clan Invasion Era and Dark Ages Era, is this a known issue? Also Apparently when using Mixed Tech with Retrotech Rules in Later Eras I could put Clan CASE and Clan Targeting Computers alongside Clan Spec weapons of Retrotech Mech Designs, Just want some Clarification is this a bug or something in the construction rules?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #409 on: 13 June 2023, 06:53:42 »
I did encounter a bug with SSW that when you load up a Primitive Battlemech design and it shows up as allowing Omnimechs to be made with primitive tech on Clan Invasion Era and Dark Ages Era, is this a known issue?
I'm not aware of any rule that says this is invalid. Really unlikely, but not invalid.

Also Apparently when using Mixed Tech with Retrotech Rules in Later Eras I could put Clan CASE and Clan Targeting Computers alongside Clan Spec weapons of Retrotech Mech Designs, Just want some Clarification is this a bug or something in the construction rules?

I think that's valid.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #410 on: 29 June 2023, 12:56:22 »
I swore at some point I had seen the ability to make a mech using the Historical-39 proto technologies.

But I'm in SSW 0.7.6 & I'm not finding that ability.

Anyone able to direct me to how to do it or if I'm mistaken & Wo39 tech is not an option.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #411 on: 02 July 2023, 13:15:19 »
If I ever do win a big enough lottery, getting SSW and TPTB on the same page will be something I absolutely do.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #412 on: 03 July 2023, 10:53:59 »
If I ever do win a big enough lottery, getting SSW and TPTB on the same page will be something I absolutely do.

Oh, heck yes!

A.E. Housman

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #413 on: 03 July 2023, 13:36:39 »

That's gonna have to be a reeeeeeeeeally big win to get Microsoft on board...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #414 on: 03 July 2023, 14:06:15 »
Given that other construction software has been sold in the past, I don't think it falls under MS's otherwise very broad license.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #415 on: 03 July 2023, 14:27:51 »
That's gonna have to be a reeeeeeeeeally big win to get Microsoft on board...

Could just buy out the guy sitting on Heavy Metal.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #416 on: 03 July 2023, 14:38:26 »
Given that other construction software has been sold in the past, I don't think it falls under MS's otherwise very broad license.

Everything electronic does. Video games, design software. Anything Battletech that is software related has to go get licensed from MS. (The only caveat, is I am not sure if mobile software does. But certainly anything PC base would.) Heavy Metal was licensed from MS. That is the reason given anyone asks CGL why they don't have an official design software.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #417 on: 03 July 2023, 15:04:32 »
Then I suppose the first thing I'd do is hire a lawyer to review the license...  ::)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #418 on: 03 July 2023, 22:36:48 »
*ahem*

All available evidence is that Microsoft and CGL have worked out terms so there can be an official designer program again.  Just no one has properly answered the call.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2023, 08:13:50 by monbvol »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #419 on: 04 July 2023, 05:57:33 »
Thanks for the reminder Monbvol!  :thumbsup:

Register