Author Topic: A weapon to encourage a more positional game  (Read 2389 times)

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
A weapon to encourage a more positional game
« on: 24 September 2013, 18:34:10 »
Fitting Rules:
Can only be placed in a torso.
Can only be used with fusion and fission engines.

Rules:

This weapon can only target a hex.

Each hit increases the cost to enter any hex that isn't water or swamp by +2.
A hex affected in this manner requires a piloting skill roll to leave that hex.
Each hit increase the piloting skill target number by +1.
Each hit decreases the targeting modifier against any unit ending their turn in that hex by -1.
(this target modifier doesn't apply if the target becomes immobile)

These effects stack 4 times.
It takes 2 turns of the hex not being hit to remove 1 stack.

A unit that hovers is unaffected by these terrain effects. Any unit that is airborne while moving through this hex is unaffected.

Any unit firing this weapon will have their speed reduced by a percentage (rounding up). This reduction will depend on their engine rating. It will come into effect the next turn until they stop firing this weapon.
Rating | Speed reduction
000-100 | 100%
101-200 | 75%
201-300 | 50%
301-400 | 25%
401-500 | 0%

Those are the basic rules. It's a support weapon that is supposed to help emphasize the strengths of more mobile units. What I'm unsure of are the basic stats of the weapon itself. What range should it have?
How much mass and volume should it take on?
etc. etc.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Re: A weapon to encourage a more positional game
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 23:48:32 »
I would make it some kind of "Bunker-buster" artillery shell.  Can only be fired from Long Tom or Sniper artillery launchers (or can be dropped via aerofighter) and can turn any hex into rough terrain.  Would also produce smoke hexes.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2013, 00:22:33 »
So you both just invented Thunder ammo?

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2013, 00:53:31 »
So you both just invented Thunder ammo?

I knew I forgot something. It's actually supposed to destroy any mines placed on the hex by the second hit. I'm envisioning this as an energy weapon hence why it has such an adverse effect on the unit firing it. Whether or not the energy should by an unlimited wave attack or an ammo style plasma is another matter.

Personally I think it should be a plasma weapon.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2013, 01:20:59 »
I knew I forgot something. It's actually supposed to destroy any mines placed on the hex by the second hit. I'm envisioning this as an energy weapon hence why it has such an adverse effect on the unit firing it. Whether or not the energy should by an unlimited wave attack or an ammo style plasma is another matter.

Personally I think it should be a plasma weapon.

So it's Thunder and Mine-Clearance ammo at once?

Okay.

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 01:24:46 »
That isn't constructive.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2013, 01:30:20 »
That isn't constructive.

Well, if you want it to be an energy weapon, it would either have to be a plasma or widebeam laser type weapon.

Maybe have it actually double as a weapon?

Think of a continuous beam laser. Good for clearing areas of small stuff, bad for pure damage.

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2013, 01:45:02 »
Each hit increases the cost to enter any hex that isn't water or swamp by +2.
A hex affected in this manner requires a piloting skill roll to leave that hex.
Each hit increase the piloting skill target number by +1.
Each hit decreases the targeting modifier against any unit ending their turn in that hex by -1.
(this target modifier doesn't apply if the target becomes immobile)

These effects stack 4 times.
It takes 2 turns of the hex not being hit to remove 1 stack.

I think having a hex that costs +8 movement points to enter, with a +4 PSR, and give a -4 to hit a bit nasty. 

A Plasma weapon wouldn't really do this (or just this depending on the plasma type).  A low temp plasma would have to have MASSIVE energy and amounts of generated plasma to do this.  And if you did fire enough of it, you would have large secondary electrical effects also.  (think of running about 2 or 3 Angel ECMs)  A high temp plasma to do this would just turn it into molten rock, along with electrical effects, though not as severe.

Now a way to do this could be some sort of magnetic pulse device.  (Not talking about an EMP, just a high gauss magnetic field.  Though this would also have secondary ECM effects.  None of these would cause a unit inside the area of effect to be easier to hit (other than maybe from just standing still).  In fact, it might cause them to be HARDER to hit with anything other than laser and flamer weapons.  ACs, missiles, MGs, and PPCs would be interfered with enough to decease their accuracy in such a high rated gauss field. 

I would suggest 20 tons, 18 crits, and an ammo load of 3.  Very high, but with the added effect of an ECM system understandable.  Plus while very powerful, this limits the usage of it, thus helping to preserve game balance.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

mutantmagnet

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2013, 07:13:09 »
So the ECM should be added on top of the movement penalties pfarland?

I agree that it should be a high tonnage high crit item. I'm still curious about to what degree most people would think that fitting requirement should be.

Well, if you want it to be an energy weapon, it would either have to be a plasma or widebeam laser type weapon.

Maybe have it actually double as a weapon?

Think of a continuous beam laser. Good for clearing areas of small stuff, bad for pure damage.

If that was your concern I wasn't thinking of this as an actual weapon that damages a unit. My apologies for not making that clear before.

The only problem would be explaining away how something that could deform terrain so profoundly doesn't harm units. My only concern was making a tool that gives faster units better space control.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2013, 14:07:38 »
I think having a hex that costs +8 movement points to enter, with a +4 PSR, and give a -4 to hit a bit nasty. 

A Plasma weapon wouldn't really do this (or just this depending on the plasma type).

I don't think a NUKE could do this! Anything powerful enough to turn a ground hex into molten lava or whatever (this weapon works HOW exactly?) would/should one shot any mech ever made and do quite a number on Dropships. That strikes me as a tad unbalanced.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer