Author Topic: The Wars of Reaving experience lingers...  (Read 7076 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: The Wars of Reaving experience lingers...
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2013, 18:36:36 »
For me it was the straightforward way of revealing everything that happened to the Clans over an 18-year period. It took just ONE awesome book to outperform all the Jihad SBs combined with their muddled presentation of facts and lots of hanging plot threads even after Final Reckoning.

WoR was like BT was new again.  Klondike as well.  Have to say it again, it was well done, exquisitely detailed warts and all.  It even has stuff for IS faction-oriented players and fans with how their original factionalism won out for a time, leading to, and all during, the Pentagon Civil War.

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2013, 19:31:26 »
Another thing that impressed me was that the plot of the WoR didn't feel like a stretch, not really. Honestly for me there were parts of the Jihad that stretched believability a little bit (though the writers have done a decent job responding to this and plugging vulnerable areas in later books). But they got the Wars of Reaving right from the get-go. When you put your Clan brain hat on, it just makes sense.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2013, 19:33:53 »
more than that, nothing in the WoR felt like a flimsy "Well, this is the way things are in MWDA, so we have to make that happen" situation.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2013, 20:09:07 »
It was a clean slate other than what clans remained in the sphere and how many clans died.  It was handled well.

To the patient go the spoils

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2013, 21:58:18 »
Another thing that impressed me was that the plot of the WoR didn't feel like a stretch, not really. Honestly for me there were parts of the Jihad that stretched believability a little bit (though the writers have done a decent job responding to this and plugging vulnerable areas in later books). But they got the Wars of Reaving right from the get-go. When you put your Clan brain hat on, it just makes sense.

By no means a stretch, indeed.  Long ago, Clan detractors in my old gaming group were like "what if some insane @#$%*#! took control and no one could defeat him in one of their trials?"  I had to admit they'd be tied if that's the case, but that's just how it goes in the Clans.  Unless someone dissented, which in this case was all of the IS Clans after the Ravens and Horses finally broke away and the ties were all severed.  But it sure made a great story that was well and fully told from an awesome perspective. 

I hope more Shark Fox documents come to print.

« Last Edit: 27 October 2013, 08:35:47 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #35 on: 24 October 2013, 09:07:44 »
Cause who stole the cookie from the cookie jar! The WOB! Couldn't be!

The bears did have some nice moments in WoR, i particularly enjoyed the scenes of Laurie Tseng fending of challenges for her genetic legacy while Kael Pershaw hitched a ride.
Ah  Kael, the one little cyborg Falcon I can respect.
Hand to hand fighting? Pfft suuuuure *zap*
 [applause]
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #36 on: 24 October 2013, 09:35:30 »
WoR was like BT was new again.  Klondike as well.  Have to say it again, it was well done, exquisitely detailed warts and all.  It even has stuff for IS faction-oriented players and fans with how their original factionalism won out for a time, leading to, and all during, the Pentagon Civil War.

I wholeheartedly agree. Klondike was a very good read and provided us a real look into the Clan Founders. I also got behind some of the Pentagon Powers because they were presented really well even though the main characters were the Clans. It showed the truth of the myth but yet managed to paint a good picture of the whole thing. The Royals and TRO sections were also excellent. It also had a lot of cleverly-relevant plot threads that carried over to the Clans' descendants in Wars of Reaving. Real cause-and-effect from ancestor to the present.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #37 on: 24 October 2013, 09:45:52 »
The one point that had my interest was the debut of the Society, we have had hints for decades of a Scientist Conspiracy and then we get the entire thing shown to us in a glorious blitzkrieg. The new mechs, there plans, even a few suprises like there working with the Bandit Caste. And the there was the Jaguar, the one thing the Clans never really had, a named Bandit Caste leader.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #38 on: 24 October 2013, 09:52:21 »
Etienne's Society cells really helped to put a face to the organization.  I also liked that it went back to the crash graduation programs used by the Falcons to replenish their ranks.  Very Faustian.  That, and it showed how ruthless the Falcons really are, by them choosing an act of genocide over compromise.  Love those birdies.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 24 October 2013, 09:54:25 »
The one point that had my interest was the debut of the Society, we have had hints for decades of a Scientist Conspiracy and then we get the entire thing shown to us in a glorious blitzkrieg. The new mechs, there plans, even a few suprises like there working with the Bandit Caste. And the there was the Jaguar, the one thing the Clans never really had, a named Bandit Caste leader.

Yes! And all the revelations of the Tanite Worlds! This book debunked every Clan-related myth from ISP2 and neatly uncovered the actual nature of the units and combat mentioned in the TRO 3075 Pariah and Corona entries.

In contrast, after all the effort to build up the Blakists and their secrets, I have no idea who Bethany Bharat was, whatever happened to the Erinyes, who's "The Protege", "Lucifer", "Eve", and many other things after so many books. And of course, the Wolverines.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #40 on: 24 October 2013, 09:57:10 »
Spanish Speaking drugged out clan FTW!  Oh, you clever clanners.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #41 on: 24 October 2013, 10:22:52 »
Still wish the Blood Spirits hadn't been essentially annihilated though.

Seconded
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2013, 10:23:37 »
You forgot the temper tantrums' and the 'slaughter all the civilians' that they picked up and absorbed

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 24 October 2013, 11:07:40 »
...'slaughter all the civilians' that they picked up and absorbed

Who? I don't get this reference.

On the matter of Spanish-speaking drugged out clan...lets hope they dont go for the stereotype of drug lords. Next thing you know, the Imperio turns into a collection of cartels with villas and private armies ruled by Godfathers :D

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 25 October 2013, 11:31:39 »
There were things that I liked and things that I didn't about it, so it was mostly a wash for me.  Definitely not my favorite BT book, but definitely not my least favorite either.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #45 on: 25 October 2013, 16:00:51 »

plus it tied up so many loose ends that had us coyote fans scratching our heads over. like the fact the coyote's were trading stars of Savage Coyote's for entire binaries of other mechs, and weren't in any major conflicts.. yet our Touman wasn't expanding at all. now we know.. many of those mechs were probably finding their way into Society hands.

even though it got my clan beat down.. it was glorious while it lasted, and hey, we survived, and look to become a powerful clan in the homeworlds thanks to owning some choice production facilities.

Register