Author Topic: Sun Goes Supernova What's Left  (Read 15515 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Sun Goes Supernova What's Left
« Reply #60 on: 07 December 2013, 12:13:09 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova

may be helpful

considering that the stars that will go into a supernova state (typically) are comparable to the sun as the sun is to the earth the odds of people being able to affect them .... well you have better odds of winning the lottery multiple times back to back.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #61 on: 09 December 2013, 01:48:31 »
http://what-if.xkcd.com/73/

A bit of food for thought... ;)
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

winteriscoming77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 09 December 2013, 16:18:35 »
I came in here expecting the typical inaccurate and completely unscientific "nerd" rationalizations, but instead found accurate and serious discussion.  I'm impressed.
Please check out my gaming blog at http://klecser.wordpress.com

It is not all Battletech (video games, game design, game philosophy, etc.), but has battle reports and my (inexperienced) musings about the game.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #63 on: 10 December 2013, 05:38:35 »
I find it ironic that the Sci/Discovery channels seem to play a lot of the shows that delt with Supernovas this weekend when this subject took-off and people started coming up with answers.It's easier to watch "How the Universe works" to "Trust me,,,,,I read it somewhere/Goggle".Everyone here has the basics down,,,,but nobody knows 100% what happens,,,,,just use the work Singularity
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #64 on: 10 December 2013, 11:37:18 »
When you say nobody knows, you are summing it up quite well.  We still have yet to be able to accurately model a supernova with a computer.  There is something we've been missing, though we're getting closer!
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #65 on: 10 December 2013, 20:50:55 »
From the perspective of a star's core, would that make a difference?

Nope. You're annihilating a few grams of stellar matter and embedding a (comparatively) diffuse cloud of JumpShip atoms in the very dense core of a star. As noted in Strategic Operations and the earlier Star League Sourcebook, interpenetrating two JumpShips doesn't result in total annihilation of two ships. A stellar core isn't going to notice the new impurities.

Comparatively, if you detonate the Tsar Bomba and then teleport a bacterium into the heart of the fireball when it's a few hundred meters across, does anyone notice?

Also, if the energy required for a jump would be partially used to annihilate mass at destination point

It's not all that much energy. Really, granting that a KF drive can annihilate a few grams of matter is orders of magnitude beyond the canonical kilowatt-hours established for a jump. Crunch the numbers: you've got a disk about 1km across at 10.4AU from solar. At perfect efficiency over 176 hours, how many kilowatt-hours are intercepted?

It's not all that much compared to even adjusting a JumpShip's velocity by some tens of kilometers a second as it matches the velocity of its target star system.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Register