Author Topic: new nasty weapons one would like to see in BT  (Read 24417 times)

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
Re: new nasty weapons one would like to see in BT
« Reply #60 on: 22 December 2013, 20:15:31 »
This thread has become edgier than 90s-era Marylin Manson covered in disposable razor blades.  Maybe even edgier than Trent Reznor wearing women's capri's.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 23 December 2013, 14:04:34 »
How's about an Ion cannon.  something that when a target gets hit, does no physical damage, just disrupts/shuts down electronics.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 23 December 2013, 21:28:42 »
How's about an Ion cannon.  something that when a target gets hit, does no physical damage, just disrupts/shuts down electronics.

I thought we had weapons that did that already? The Centurian WS and the TSEMP or something like that?

Akalabeth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 27 December 2013, 13:17:46 »
I'd like to see Land Air Mechs that actually stay in production by one or more factions and we aren't immediately told that their factories have been completely destroyed and all known working models completely destroyed as well.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2013, 18:42:29 by Akalabeth »

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #64 on: 27 December 2013, 15:41:49 »
I'd like to see Land Air Mechs that actually stay in production by one or more factions and aren't immediately told to have their factories completely destroyed and all known working models completely destroyed as well.

That would be reasonable...
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 27 December 2013, 19:40:31 »
thoughts on crowd control anyone?

sonic based weapons with better accuracy carried like rifles or guns.or better yet sonic whips all non lethal. ball bearing type size of marble loaded with either glue type or electric shock load if stepped on they go off. imagine few barrels of that stuff thrown in into the crowd
semi or very mobile "spider" type robots telepresence controlled armed specificly with rope type weapons. could mount sonic or mini microwave projectors. and tazer type weapons in groups they can make a 'fence' or barrier against a crowd. police armed with "sick sticks" think minority report.
riot foam that can cause severe discomfort and irritation or turn solid when exposed to a electric or microwave charge.

riot foam could be adopted to cover mechs and then "freeze" the mech in place best place to use would be against industrial mechs...when pilot goes nuts. another weapon could be a molymer disruptor charge can make the myomer spaz out out of control like twitching muscle after long workout. good luck controlling mech then,

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #66 on: 27 December 2013, 22:14:18 »
Not nasty, are there non-lethal rubber bullets for Mech machine guns? I've read about them in fiction, but not by rules.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 27 December 2013, 23:09:46 »
Don't they already outfit some mechs with water cannons for crowd control?
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #68 on: 27 December 2013, 23:54:53 »
MicroHAG.  BA scale weapons.  Long range, good firepower, and accuracy.  But it is a cluster like round.

Maybw this is a homeclan developed weapon.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 28 December 2013, 02:49:20 »
I'd like to see Land Air Mechs that actually stay in production by one or more factions and we aren't immediately told that their factories have been completely destroyed and all known working models completely destroyed as well.

That would be nice.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 28 December 2013, 02:52:22 »
Not nasty, are there non-lethal rubber bullets for Mech machine guns? I've read about them in fiction, but not by rules.

I've read that too. Maybe there's rules for that in the RPG?

Don't they already outfit some mechs with water cannons for crowd control?

Yep. I think mostly they just fire water out of the flame throwers but there are also Fluid Guns and Sprayers.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 28 December 2013, 03:41:22 »
Rubber Bullets are in AToW Companion. They can still be lethal if used in vehicle scale AI weapons, though.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #72 on: 28 December 2013, 09:18:29 »
Rubber Bullets are in AToW Companion. They can still be lethal if used in vehicle scale AI weapons, though.

- Shane
What about Mechs setup for riot control like the Vulcan or Firestarter?  Baseline Piranha would certainly could use it.
ATOW stuff is fine, but i was talking for a regular tactical game pickup game would end up using.

Also, not quite covered as well are the SecurityMechs or RiotMechs that have appeared over the years. Many not stated, but some are like the Copper and Peacekeeper.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #73 on: 28 December 2013, 15:36:12 »
MicroHAG.  BA scale weapons.  Long range, good firepower, and accuracy.  But it is a cluster like round.

Maybw this is a homeclan developed weapon.

I like this weapon idea.
I would also like to see a gauss weapon for protomechs.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 28 December 2013, 18:35:25 »
What about Mechs setup for riot control like the Vulcan or Firestarter?  Baseline Piranha would certainly could use it.
ATOW stuff is fine, but i was talking for a regular tactical game pickup game would end up using.

I guess we'd have to figure out the damage from ATOW and apply it to TW. The Machine Guns would use the rubber bullets, flamers would use water, SRM tear gas (I think that's in ATOW?). Heavier weapons would be used against vehicles.

Also, not quite covered as well are the SecurityMechs or RiotMechs that have appeared over the years. Many not stated, but some are like the Copper and Peacekeeper.

If they don't have official stats you can make your own. Not everyone allows custom units though. 

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #75 on: 28 December 2013, 23:22:14 »

I like this weapon idea.
I would also like to see a gauss weapon for protomechs.

Thanks.  this came out of me pondering some ideas as I thought about how the Homeworld Clans should have a different weapons pallet from the IS Clans.  This, perhaps some enhanced missile types, oh, and Improved lasers (same range,  & heat as standard, but do the same damage as Clan ER models.  more for BA and PMs though)
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 01 January 2014, 18:31:10 »
ok how about a flypaper for mechs? lay a trap down in the street in web form put rockets at the end of the net say 6 or more mech steps in gets tangled and lifted up at same time...pilot looses his orientation falls down troopers drag the pilot out keep the mech. another variant have a capacitor type device hooked up to it same thing happens but mech gets zapped knocks out the systems...add a sticky substance with fibers that mech cannot tear off and you have an annoying tool that can turn deadly.

a variant of flypaper could be used in public places against crowds or mobs...pre install the trap looks and acts like a normal material send current through it it either turns sticky or zaps the mob or both authorities pick up the crowd for proccessing later or just shoots them.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 02 January 2014, 14:24:14 »
ok how about a flypaper for mechs? lay a trap down in the street in web form put rockets at the end of the net say 6 or more mech steps in gets tangled and lifted up at same time...pilot looses his orientation falls down troopers drag the pilot out keep the mech. another variant have a capacitor type device hooked up to it same thing happens but mech gets zapped knocks out the systems...add a sticky substance with fibers that mech cannot tear off and you have an annoying tool that can turn deadly.

a variant of flypaper could be used in public places against crowds or mobs...pre install the trap looks and acts like a normal material send current through it it either turns sticky or zaps the mob or both authorities pick up the crowd for proccessing later or just shoots them.

Ooh ooh! Use the Mech Bolo rules, only now they're mines instead of ballistic munitions!

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #78 on: 02 January 2014, 15:38:52 »
Ooh ooh! Use the Mech Bolo rules, only now they're mines instead of ballistic munitions!

This would make for a great booby trap in cities- lined up in buildings to ensnare mechs passing by, allowing the infantry who set up the trap to swarm the now helpless mech. It'd be absolutely brutal (well, even more so than conventional city fighting) under double-blind, as you can't pick up hidden infantry, and the trap would be camouflaged.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Sockmonkey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 03 January 2014, 20:00:13 »
That brings to mind mech-sized tripwire mines. A mech pilot is a lot farther from the ground than a tank driver and chemical explosives with mechanical triggers aren't going to show up on sensors in a city where there are already pipes and conduits running all over the place anyhow, so a tripwire like that is almost certain to be overlooked. Remember that the trigger wire only needs to be as thick as heavy fishing line since it only has to flip a trigger on the detonator.
That's it! Challenge the Clans to rock-paper-scissors in 3050! A good portion of the 'Mechs didn't have hands so the Inner Sphere would win!
If I had a nickel for every time I've legged a Warhammer, I could put them in a sock, spin it around and leg another Warhammer.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 05 January 2014, 03:22:44 »
ok here is a frogger mine...jumps up in the air say 12 to 15 meters up scatters mini mines or armed mini drones over area of say 30 square meters. the drone type could move run dig in or hide...good against infantry...system could be scaled up against vehicles and mechs.
another would be a flying dispersal ordinance mine triggered mechanically or electroni=ly or by radio remotely. ordinance goes up stays up in the air bit at various heights up to say 100 meters homes in on targets either by tag  heat  or target choice by acquisition and sonic recognition(good against vehicles with certain type of engines say ICE) various sizes as needed from infantry to mechs. if target not found they fall to the ground play dead.
a lot of frogger ordinance could be used with non lethal payload from stun gas ,tear gas or liquids that sting or stick and smell like medieval undies that had not been washed for decades...

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 05 January 2014, 12:52:13 »
Hmm... how about Spider Mines from Starcraft 2? It's a robot "mine" that moves to where a human CO tells it to and camouflages itself. It then waits for an enemy unit to come by, and then shoots it with a powerful, one shot missile. Or perhaps it has several missiles. Or a straight up Thunderbolt launcher with reloads.

Huh... this thing could wind up being too heavy to be really called a "mine".

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 05 January 2014, 15:36:44 »
Hmm... how about Spider Mines from Starcraft 2? It's a robot "mine" that moves to where a human CO tells it to and camouflages itself. It then waits for an enemy unit to come by, and then shoots it with a powerful, one shot missile. Or perhaps it has several missiles. Or a straight up Thunderbolt launcher with reloads.

Huh... this thing could wind up being too heavy to be really called a "mine".

Drone Quad BA with 1 pt of Stealth armor, and LRM/SRM launchers with one shot?  Once it has fired the shot, it is effectively harmless.  A longer lasting version might have a ranged projectile weapon (lasers would be too expensive/massive), to provide constant 1-turn sniping.

Or the other drones we have come up with for VTOL and underwater performance?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 05 January 2014, 16:33:14 »
how about an underground burrowing ordinance dispersal delivery system?
picture a drone size of a pig burrows itself underground makes tunnels does not matter if the tunnel collapses after it. as it goes leaves gripper mines that grab target if they are buried shallow enough, or shaped charges ..my fave would be the subsonic mines if deployed around camps the sound could make people paranoid or if superstitious think the place has ghosts and is haunted as added effect hologram drones could be deployed along side.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 10 January 2014, 16:12:31 »
as i understand it the software that runs any mech  has not changed much over the years so i do not see a reason why a specilised weapon system to exploit or insert itself into mech OS would not exist. infantry weapon bazooka warhead either attaches itself or punches through the armor and transmits jamming signal. another warhead could take remote control over the mech itself...after all as i read it somewhere the mechs walk off the assembly line and do have some pre programed moves. another weapon could be called cluster jam shoulder mounted delivery system launching goo filled balls that  attach and can pick up heat of the mech convert into electricity and discharge electric shock frying controls or connections that are not shielded...change ammo and you can use similar effect on the mob as riot control.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 10 January 2014, 18:55:54 »
as i understand it the software that runs any mech  has not changed much over the years so i do not see a reason why a specilised weapon system to exploit or insert itself into mech OS would not exist. infantry weapon bazooka warhead either attaches itself or punches through the armor and transmits jamming signal.

If punching through armor was so easy, why not just use a straight up explosive to disable the mech? Besides which, if BT weapons can't even guarantee what section of a mech gets hit, how the heck are you going to target the command and control systems?

And Operating Systems Don't Work Like That. Especially not MILITARY operating systems for platforms that aren't designed for remote control.

another warhead could take remote control over the mech itself...after all as i read it somewhere the mechs walk off the assembly line and do have some pre programed moves. another weapon could be called cluster jam shoulder mounted delivery system launching goo filled balls that  attach and can pick up heat of the mech convert into electricity and discharge electric shock frying controls or connections that are not shielded...change ammo and you can use similar effect on the mob as riot control.

I don't think these techs even exist in BT. And even if the thermoelectric goo did, it'd be part of the mech's cooling system.

And you're still not getting past the armor unless you shoot it off first. And if you managed to shoot it off, then most of that other stuff you came up with is needlessly redundant, and likely more costly in money and mass than straight up explosive warheads.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 10 January 2014, 19:59:55 »
goo by its nature does get in the cracks...
as for punching through it does not have to punch through it can lodge itself in...as long as payload gets where its supposed to.
there are substances now that do convert heat into electricity...i do not see a reason why something like this should not exist
as for c & c systems all systems have openings all systems can be broken either electronic or mechanical...as for electronic have strong enough signal to deliver its payload it will get through...had you ever war drive? i did as an observer few times ...same principal.

on other hand these are ll potential weapons in fictional universe...so for heck of it i would love to see a machine gun that instead f bullets would fire live chickens that can go through the mech armor like tissue...imagine the magic armor susceptible to live chicken assault....
battlefields would turn to feather covered landscape instead of smoke and fire >:D

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 11 January 2014, 00:50:10 »
goo by its nature does get in the cracks...

So does water. But there are already rules for underwater breaches. Which means mechs are water tight. Can your goo get through water tight seals?

If it can, your "goo" is probably more akin to Xenomorph acid blood in its ability to eat through stuff... in which case they'd probably eat through circuitry just as well, again rendering the whole electric shock thing pointlessly redundant.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 11 January 2014, 06:21:33 »
More artillery sizes for both artillery and cannons. And/or area effect ammo for Autocannons and Rifle/Tank cannons. Ones that could be used by any unit on a planets surface. Battle Armor Artillery is nice but it can only be use by Battle Armor. And there should be something in size between it and a Thumper.

Disposable weapons packs for mechs. Like the Shadow Hawk's backpack or disposable jump jets. Slows the mech down as cargo would but it can be jettisoned as soon as all the ammo and/or fuel is used up or it's destroyed.

Allowing naval units to bomb (depth charge) and torpedo other naval units and installations. I know there's LRTs and SRTs but they're not area effect weapons.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 14 January 2014, 22:21:59 »
it may be redundant but given whatever properties to it you could be made to harden and jam the cracks or gum up the joints ...here a scenario goo hardens in the places of missile launcher fails to fry it hardens jams it pilot tries using instant disaster. another use could be to cover the sensors fry them or blind them "goo" the what if weapon. keep in mind it is a fictional weapon based ion current tech used in crowd control. goo that hardens quickly exposed to air immobilises target...(BTW been a test subject of one)

now lets take page from  WW II Nazis retreated leaving a lot of mementos behind and leaving it booby trapped some infamous ones were small items like pens hooked up to hidden grenade as a example...now imagine nick knack that soldier picks up but when triggered the damn thing turns him to hamburger because it is attached to segmented device sporting variety of sharp blades and drills which had been cameoed by retreating forces and left behind for the hell of it. it would be demoralizing to see it and not to mention nastier if that thing was programmed to jump from one target to the other without finishing the job. another thing that could be done is to plant homing beacons in stuff left behind for the missles to target. the beacons could be programmed to start screaming after certain conditions are met. picture a hidden missle launcher 4 to 5 km going off and wiping the squad out or whatever is near by the transmitter.
another nasty i could think of is robots disguised as packing crates either wood or metal looks harmless still could be useful as ammo or supply crate
here is something to give brown trousers to any one ...found cache of weapons and supplies take them to your base with big grin on your face few hours later run like hell or die because the crates started to change and cause mayhem either by hurting personnel or blowing themselves in whatever area they were programmed to they could be remotely controlled too.
this one could be done considering that we already have the embrionic tech do it.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2014, 22:25:50 by elf25s »

Register