Register Register

Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: GN-20* Gùn  (Read 12519 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • naps, noms, and more naps.
Re: 'Mech of the Week: GN-20* Gùn
« Reply #90 on: 01 May 2018, 17:31:21 »
Technically, if you wanted your mech to haul infantry around, you could give the mech a lift hoist, stuff the infantry into a trailer (or, I suppose, an APC, but that kinda defeats the purpose) and have the mech carry the trailer with the lift hoist.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Caedis Animus

• Lieutenant
  • Shutdown Overridden; Reactor Critical in...
« Reply #91 on: 02 May 2018, 00:42:23 »
I just got the image of a frustrated Star Commander facepalming, while watching a FireMoth or Viper with a Lift Hoist carrying around an APC full of Ghost Bear Solohma troops and careening around corners in an Urban Cityscape.

"Could someone please stop this Ride?! I would like to get off!"
It is possible to find true horror and true humor in one thing;

A Potemkin is capable of carrying 25 Excalibur Dropships. These are, in turn, capable of carrying 90 Saladin Ultras and 12 Blitzkreigs. For a grand total of 2,250 Saladins and 300 Blitzkreigs; A total of 2,550 Ultra AC/20s.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #92 on: 02 May 2018, 01:10:15 »
IIRC that was actually the original intended use of the Firemoth.. those odd high held arms being meant to carry infantry in modules slung under them. it never worked out, but the fast mech was useful for other roles so they kept it.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #93 on: 07 June 2018, 07:40:03 »
While re-reading this article, I think I've finally got it figured out. Unlike most 'Mechs, which are MBT equivalents, the Gun is an IFV equivalent. It's got some decent firepower, but putting it up against a front-line combatant is a Bad Idea. (Not as bad as a cardboard warrior like a Patron PatrolMech, but still.)

So to my mind, when planning tactics, the Gun is a CV90 equivalent. Strolls in, drops off the battle armor, sticks around to provide anti-tank firepower, but when other 'Mechs start arriving it grabs it's battle armor and leaves.

And if this thing is used with Augmented Lances, like was suggested up-thread, four of them* could be supported by Behemoth II or Pixiu heavy tanks.

*Assuming that these are deployed to CCAF Home Guard and militia units in large numbers.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
« Reply #94 on: 08 June 2018, 11:04:23 »
With this brought up again. I like idea of adding more configurations to the Mech as things have progressed for the Capellan Confederation has learned lessons.  It's Garrison OmniMech, done cheap, suppose to support the dirt eaters, not fighting toe-to-toe with frontline Mechs or even heavy weight Main Battle Tanks aka Combat Vehicles. 

I think it be good since she has moderate speed (5/8) using her with Extended LRM-10 with two tons ammo (i can't tell how many critics are left)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

nova_dew

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 08 June 2018, 16:24:00 »
For all your custom Gun's

Wrangler's idea is first on the list

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61831.0

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #96 on: 26 June 2018, 00:38:14 »
Had one of these on the field recently.

It was mostly just used to transport some Battle Armor to the field & left the fighting to bigger mechs.

That said, it did an impressive job of watching our rear area.

The player used the Plasma+2ERML configuration & kept a speedy Locust-3M & Hermes-4S occupied so that we didn't get completely harassed from behind.

Which proved to be very useful as our mediums slammed into the enemy line & dropped off more BA into the enemy HQ base.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Caedis Animus

• Lieutenant
  • Shutdown Overridden; Reactor Critical in...
« Reply #97 on: 26 June 2018, 00:49:48 »
The player used the Plasma+2ERML configuration & kept a speedy Locust-3M & Hermes-4S occupied so that we didn't get completely harassed from behind.
The Prime and A have soft spots in my heart as my favorite two 20-ton designs in Battletech. 685 BV2 for a 19-hex Headcapper, or 775 for a decent-nay, good-infantry support platform? Yes please. Only thing that sucks about the Gun, to me, is that it's just a Cappie design.

First time I ever used one was in a 4-Lance battle (Two lances per side, one controller of each lance), and despite taking it for the express purpose of rounding out my BV, the A was responsible for scaring off the majority of enemy light spammers-even damaging the Spider 7M that came to take care of it well enough to get the Spider to bugger off. In a really stupid way, it was more effective than the Cougar C my compatriot insisted on taking-which died literally the first round it entered combat thanks to the HPPC of an enemy Warlord. That match also taught me that if you really must bring a headcapping light to the field, it's best to ensure it doesn't consume an entire third of your allotted BV.

Seriously, we could've used a second assault, not a damn light. Why would you ever choose a light over a freaking Atlas AS7-D. He even had the spare BV2.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2018, 00:53:40 by Caedis Animus »
It is possible to find true horror and true humor in one thing;

A Potemkin is capable of carrying 25 Excalibur Dropships. These are, in turn, capable of carrying 90 Saladin Ultras and 12 Blitzkreigs. For a grand total of 2,250 Saladins and 300 Blitzkreigs; A total of 2,550 Ultra AC/20s.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #98 on: 26 June 2018, 23:15:14 »
Agreed on the Cappie thing.

The mech itself I would have preferred to have 2 tons less pod space & use more basic tech for the Cockpit & Gyro w/ a full 4 tons of Armor.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo