Author Topic: Best weapon to keep in cockpit?  (Read 16762 times)

Zentard

• Private
  • "Sit up straight" is the best advice I ever got.
Re: Best weapon to keep in cockpit?
« Reply #30 on: 06 April 2011, 13:56:11 »
I'd keep a few satchel mines cause I'm a crazy f***tard.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 06 April 2011, 14:25:50 »
Local currency and lots of it.   8)

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #32 on: 06 April 2011, 14:52:37 »
A decent but common Auto Pistol in whatever the most common caliber is in the Inner Sphere / Periphery, a knife, and a multi-tool and some local or commonly accepted currency.  Anything else I'd need for bugging out is probably covered by the survival gear under the seat.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2011, 12:13:01 »
when my charactor piloted a marauder, or a mech with a ful head ejection system, If I could afford it, I liked the M-PPC with the waldo (effectively a light exo for the arm/arms) or a light exo if I don't have enough str/bld to pack it unassisted ) this is per 3026 pg 110/111

the M-PPC used to weigh 50kg newer references put it @ 40kg, but no longer reference the waldo option just the bipod varient :(

CPLT-C1

• Corporal
  • Hollis Incorporated did things big.
    • Magistracy of Canopus
« Reply #34 on: 08 April 2011, 10:48:27 »

This, a pistol and rations seems to be the the most pro-survival choice.
So you're saying it's Cold War era sci-fi war machines?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 08 April 2011, 10:55:05 »
This, a pistol and rations seems to be the the most pro-survival choice.

Concur, though a hunting rifle or shotgun may improve the odds of the MW living off the land.
Of course, in most circumstances, a MW that ejects will get picked up sooner or later. By friend or foe.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Phell

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 18 April 2011, 09:41:22 »
A carrot and a "ninjitsu for dummies" handbook, re: Shoot 'em up.
Build a freezing man a fire and he'll be warm for the night, but light a freezing man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 18 April 2011, 09:47:48 »
a sign that says "I am not the mechwarrior you are looking for."

what?   it worked for old obiwan kenobi...

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2011, 19:17:05 »
a sign that says "I am not the mechwarrior you are looking for."

what?   it worked for old obiwan kenobi...

WOAH! Obiwan could pilot mech's too?!?!?!??!?!!

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2011, 19:45:32 »

WOAH! Obiwan could pilot mech's too?!?!?!??!?!!

Pshaw! Yeah!
Who do you think taught Morgan how to phantom his Droid 'Mech?

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Hellfire

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 20 April 2011, 00:28:09 »
and a Munchkin would not carry a sidearm his cockpit is specially set up so he can use his elemental armor while driving the mech

Bah, real men pilot there mechs in PA(L) suits like the Bounty Hunter.  ;D

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 20 April 2011, 15:27:40 »
No real men don't need silly thing like PA.  Just a knife and a lot of friends.  Or the money to buy the techs off ;D

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #42 on: 20 April 2011, 17:27:12 »
What's the best weapon for a mechwarrior to keep in their cockpit? Something out of ATOW that's not to large to realistically eject with, but having enough punch to have a (tiny) effect in a Battletech combat.

An auto pistol. Extremely compact and light, so it won't slow you down.

Also, the last thing an ejected 'MechWarrior wants to do is tote around something that can hurt BattleMechs. 'MechWarriors don't go after the guys with the pistols and rifles first, they go after the guys manning support weapons or that have SRM launchers on their shoulders.

I'd emphasize survival equipment, like rations, first aid, clothing, water, and (if applicable) breather masks for hostile environments over equipment designed to engage the enemy.

:: shrugs ::
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #43 on: 21 June 2011, 18:03:59 »
I was thinking about this alittle more and I think that a different sort of Weapon would be good! A C.A.W. Bulpup configuration!12Guage Slug. 2 Bandoleers with 6 mags each for 36 rounds/bandoleer. [rockon]
Semper paratus !
Praesto Novastar defendere!

monty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 21 June 2011, 18:18:21 »
Pshaw! Yeah!
Who do you think taught Morgan how to phantom his Droid 'Mech?

Paul

"This is not the mech want to shoot"

For equipment the 2nd Oriente Hussars recommend a small knife for peeling battlemechs.

Qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum.
Let him who desires peace prepare for war. (Vegetius)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #45 on: 21 June 2011, 18:41:49 »
Survival Knife  (Vibro Dagger)
Laser Pistol  (Auto Pistol)

1st  (& Secondary) choices above.

Lets face it, you need small items strapped to your body or in a small pack.

Now, in a locker in the back of an unusually roomy cockpit like the Hatchetman, you might upgrade that to a Vibro-Sword & an Assault Rifle of choice.
But for the typical ejection its a pistol & dagger for me.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 01 July 2011, 07:43:24 »
I think that the answer depends on whether you eject from the mech or just dismount from your mech.

If ejecting then i would expect that largest weapon aviable would be a pistol of maybe even a SMG (or a short shotgun). Either way, my choice of a weapon would be a revolver of some common type. Possibly of Magnum variety. I'm not sure if todays 357 magnum would count as a magnum as per game rules as it is still quite far away from those realy powerfull revolvers. But anyway, some common reasonably powerfull revolver. AFAIK revolvers don't have anything like the springs in ammo clips that might fail when stored for the long time.

If just crawling out of disabled mech then that stuff stored on the back of the cockpit might be aviable and full sized rifle could be aviable. My personal choice would be the "Elephant Gun" just for intimidation value.

Additionaly i would like to have a nakajima laser pistol for general purposes like lighting a fire and burning my way out of the fallen mechs cockpit if doors are blocked.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 01 July 2011, 12:52:48 »
Additionaly i would like to have a nakajima laser pistol for general purposes like lighting a fire and burning my way out of the fallen mechs cockpit if doors are blocked.

O0 I like it for the large number of shots it gets from a powerpack.

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 01 July 2011, 13:18:12 »
What's the best weapon for a mechwarrior to keep in their cockpit? Something out of ATOW that's not to large to realistically eject with, but having enough punch to have a (tiny) effect in a Battletech combat.

The logic says that when MechWarrior leaves from her mech in field it is for briefing or discussing with commander for one reason or another. Then the typical equipment my chars wear is this:

-Swimsuit
-coolant vest cannot be put on and off easily (however, helmet is heavy and should always be left to mech)
-heavy padded coverall for autumn/winter and lightweight coverall for summer
-socks and boots (sneakers don't work in muddy and soggy field after dozen or so heavy machines have marched through it)

The weapon is always some kind of long arm: for example assault rifle or SMG with collapsible stock so it can be fetched easily from hatch. Spare ammo is in belt. There is no bullet proof vest as it doesn't fit with on with coolant vest.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 01 July 2011, 13:19:53 »
silly comment ...
if you are packing a nakajima laser pistol why would you want a revolver slugthrower... just carry more power packs for the nakajama

IE the nakajama laser pistol weighs 1kg and uses 1 pp/shot
a magnum revolver weighs 500g and 60g/reload (I am assuming that the rounds are ~10g ea) now mabie I am crazy but in general I would want a minimim of 20 rounds (thinking 4-5 reloads for the revolver) 4 reloads would be ~240g, 5 would be 300

std power packs weigh 250g for 20 shots (for the nakajama) so for the weight of your magnum auto pistol you could be packing 3 spare power packs for 60 additional shots, plus power packs can be recharged

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #50 on: 01 July 2011, 17:28:49 »
silly comment ...
if you are packing a nakajima laser pistol why would you want a revolver slugthrower... just carry more power packs for the nakajama

IE the nakajama laser pistol weighs 1kg and uses 1 pp/shot
a magnum revolver weighs 500g and 60g/reload (I am assuming that the rounds are ~10g ea) now mabie I am crazy but in general I would want a minimim of 20 rounds (thinking 4-5 reloads for the revolver) 4 reloads would be ~240g, 5 would be 300

std power packs weigh 250g for 20 shots (for the nakajama) so for the weight of your magnum auto pistol you could be packing 3 spare power packs for 60 additional shots, plus power packs can be recharged

Well, i suppose i could leave the revolver out if i got Nakajima, but the whole point is that revolver is, for what i know anyway, very reliable. Now we obiviously do not know if laser weapons are more reliable as they don't realy exist in a relevant way, but i feel that if revolvers do exist around 3000s then they propably have something going for them. And you want that weapon to be reliable despite all the abuse and neclect you pile on it. You may not wish to recycle ammo from clip to clip to prevent springs from "dying" or in case of lasers terminals of the power pack is corroded or because pack had expired.

Also, isn't revolver more powerfull than nakajima? IIRC even if revolver uses AP ammo it does more damage than naka?

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 01 July 2011, 19:31:28 »
nakjima laser pistol 5E/2 (5E AP/ 2BD )
revolver 4B /4
revolver magnum 4B/5

the nakijama has better penetration (and is energy so more armor is worthless against it) but does ~1/2 the actual damage to a target but the revolver has 6 rounds, and the magnum revolver is 5 rounds and a -1 penalty to attack roll
 the nakjima laser pistol uses 1pp/shot so qc packs are 10 shots/pack std are 20/pack, and hc packs are 30 shots/pack

which means that while you basically do ~1/2 the damage per shot a revolver does a max base damage of 24/reload and the nakjima does 20/quick charge cell, 40/std, 60/hc

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #52 on: 01 July 2011, 20:44:30 »
For Battle Tech I agree with the nakjima laser pistol,  but if you want stopping power a Remmington Arms Combat Assault Weapon  (C.A.W. R-12 Bulpup). Mag holds 6, 12 gage slug rounds or 00 Buckshot! That would be a close quarter weapon.  Lets face it if you eject from your mech and move away from it. You are going to want to stay hidden and if the enemy is  hunting you you do not want to be firing from a distance. If you fire on the run with the laser and only wound the enemy, you have cauterize the wound. With the C.A.W. you wound the enemy he could bleed out if he does nothing. 

^
C.A.W. 8kilo loaded.
6 slug rounds 500g
R.o.F.: 4r/sec,  rate of fire might be higher it has been a while since I had to think on the info!
Semper paratus !
Praesto Novastar defendere!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 01 July 2011, 22:48:34 »
Do keep equipment ratings in mind.  Laser pisols are great and all, but unless you drop a few hundred XP into Equipped, all you can get is a revolver and a shotgun.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 02 July 2011, 01:12:22 »
bop my point was if the char gets a nakjima weather by having enought equipped to pick it up, issued gear or whatever ... just grabbing more power packs to feed it makes more sense to me than having a second gun...

of course this is speaking from a person who tends to be a horrible packrat and had a char from a rifts campaign that packed so many weapons and so much ordinance that you know the scene in ds9 where the visitor walked through the weapons detector arch and it "attacked him because miles had adjusted its settings?  ya my char had something similar happen without the sensitivity adjustment

the one part I like best about the "rifts" setting is if you want to and the gm is willing /flexable you can end up "anywhere"

my char had over the course of 5 years of game sessions ended up in: rifts, robotech, mechanoids (more than 1x they suck) battlestar galacticia (origional) battletech 3025 era, 3050 era, not fedcom civil war but close, star wars old republic, clone wars, rebellion eras may have been in the njo or thrawn era but iffy, star trek kirk, picard, and ds9 eras.  there are other places the char visited ... but I can't remember them all

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 02 July 2011, 01:39:07 »
A basic weapon, some rations and water like suggested, local environment gear, all in a convenient pack.

Local currency isn't that reliable, as you may not know where the target is, plus you get into money changing fees every time, or have to keep extra currency on hand.  Go with gold slugs, with a Comstar seal of authenticity on them.  Useable in all realms, and the Comstar seal tells the bribee the purity and weight.  Redeemable at any Comstar facility or local precious metal shop.

Blacksheep

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 02 July 2011, 02:04:21 »
Survival radio with somebody on the other end who can get your ass out of the serious shit you are in :P  None of the personal weapons folks are discussing here are really all that different from each other because they can't make one guy into a regiment.  A pocket nuke might work, but you probably won't be able to throw it far enough to change your situation #P

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #57 on: 02 July 2011, 07:00:52 »
Give me this:

And this:

Maybe some binoculars too...  that would be cool.

But I won't be using any of it because:

1 - I am too awesome to ever lose in a BattleMech
2 - If I do eject, I'll have a radio so I can call for help
3 - Run away, because I'm not stupid enough to try and fight off a bunch of soldiers with better guns
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #58 on: 02 July 2011, 07:04:15 »
SO I guess...

Survival radio with somebody on the other end who can get your ass out of the serious shit you are in :P  None of the personal weapons folks are discussing here are really all that different from each other because they can't make one guy into a regiment.  A pocket nuke might work, but you probably won't be able to throw it far enough to change your situation #P

[stupid]
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Sami Jumppanen

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 02 July 2011, 11:38:18 »
which means that while you basically do ~1/2 the damage per shot a revolver does a max base damage of 24/reload and the nakjima does 20/quick charge cell, 40/std, 60/hc

Considering that we are talking about possibly injured mechwarrior vs. enemy infantry it is likely that mechwarrior loses if any enemies are standing after mechwarrior gets 2 shots out. Witch is why i take the revolver (possibly with AP rounds).