Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139970 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #570 on: 31 January 2015, 08:12:39 »
I don't know if it's a movie, but Sons of Liberty.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #571 on: 02 February 2015, 13:50:02 »
I just watched the "Extended Version" of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey last night.  I know this has been out for a year or so, but I just got around to it! 

I do have a question, though.  In all the extended versions for the LOTR movies, there was significant and obvious stuff added to the theatrical version of the movie.  I didn't do a side by side comparision, but I honestly didn't notice what was added to the extended version of the first Hobbit movie.  Can anyone point something out?      :-\
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #572 on: 03 February 2015, 11:45:27 »
Pacific Rim, some of it good, but the cockpit controles [drool] really? Yea right, that was just dumb.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #573 on: 03 February 2015, 22:21:01 »
Decided I was in a mood to rewatch Hot Fuzz.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #574 on: 04 February 2015, 01:05:24 »
Decided I was in a mood to rewatch Hot Fuzz.

A darn fine choice!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #575 on: 04 February 2015, 01:07:43 »
Finally got to watch "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." A worthy sequel, for sure, and I loved how they introduced Falcon.

I have to admit I have no idea who the "twins" were they showed after the initial credits.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #576 on: 04 February 2015, 01:32:13 »
Just put on The 13th Warrior. Love this old classic.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #577 on: 04 February 2015, 01:39:33 »
Finally got to watch "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." A worthy sequel, for sure, and I loved how they introduced Falcon.

I have to admit I have no idea who the "twins" were they showed after the initial credits.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.  According to Joss Whedon, he wanted to add them because he wanted another female character for Avengers 2- he didn't like being stuck with only Black Widow in the first Avengers movie.  Personally, I'd have preferred Wasp, Captain Marvel, or, well, they probably can't use Spider-Woman.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2015, 01:41:38 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #578 on: 04 February 2015, 08:05:39 »
A darn fine choice!
if liked that you should had watched SPACED simon pegg and nick frost at their finest...
but of course not o lot of people had even heard of that one...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #579 on: 05 February 2015, 09:14:38 »
Phantom. in the '60s a Russian sub goes rouge. kind'a interesting.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #580 on: 05 February 2015, 11:39:10 »
if liked that you should had watched SPACED simon pegg and nick frost at their finest...
but of course not o lot of people had even heard of that one...

Spaced hasn't aged as well as some other shows. That added to the fact a lot of its best jokes have been stolen by US sitcoms, and reused  by Frost and Pegg in their movies. Despite all that, it really is a must see.
Heck it's worth watching for the Resident Evil and Robot Wars episodes. Even the Matrix and Pegg Breaks up with George Lucas episodes are good, even if they have been done a million times since Spaced did them.  BTW if you where in your 20s during the 90s you knew a Tyres.....

Just watched Fury. The most shocking thing in Fury was not the extreme violence, but the startling reveal that Shia Labouf can act. Pretty good.

Speaking of Pegg,  gonna watch Hector and the Pursuit of Happiness tonight.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #581 on: 05 February 2015, 14:48:44 »
Fury.
I have spoken.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #582 on: 05 February 2015, 18:38:58 »
the oblongs....
sad that series ran short it had so much potential

helga and milo rally had been something...

bob screaming: gargoyle! gargoyle! gargoyle!

always brings a smirk to my face...

you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #583 on: 05 February 2015, 20:09:04 »
the oblongs....
sad that series ran short it had so much potential

helga and milo rally had been something...

bob screaming: gargoyle! gargoyle! gargoyle!

always brings a smirk to my face...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #584 on: 06 February 2015, 02:36:42 »
Watched an older Linsey Lohan one, "I know who killed me" about twins separated from birth having something similar to stigmata..  It was trippy but well done.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #585 on: 06 February 2015, 06:50:20 »
Fury.

Just rewatched that one.   Still good.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #586 on: 09 February 2015, 11:45:41 »
Over the weekend I was happy to note the difference between 15 year old me that saw Starship Troopers for the first time, and present day me is that I realized that the material presented was satire.  15 year old me took it at face value.  Oh, 15 year old me.  You'd want to beat up present day me.  And i'd have to sue your parents.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2015, 12:01:05 by False Son »
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #587 on: 09 February 2015, 11:51:08 »
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.  According to Joss Whedon, he wanted to add them because he wanted another female character for Avengers 2- he didn't like being stuck with only Black Widow in the first Avengers movie.  Personally, I'd have preferred Wasp, Captain Marvel, or, well, they probably can't use Spider-Woman.
Yeah, I really tend to think of both of them as X-Men characters, even though they have appeared in the Avengers, too.  While the Avengers roster has generally been rather male dominated, there are certainly other choices available if they wanted to up the female participation. 
Mike

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #588 on: 09 February 2015, 12:29:18 »
Over the weekend I was happy to note the difference between 15 year old me that saw Starship Troopers for the first time, and present day me is that I realized that the material presented was satire.  15 year old me took it at face value.  Oh, 15 year old me.  You'd want to beat up present day me.  And i'd have to sue your parents.

I saw it when I was older than 15 and had a nose for satire. It did not come across as satire for me, and also did the source material a great disservice.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #589 on: 09 February 2015, 12:32:15 »
Somehow, the delivery order for the B5 DVDs got switched around, so I got the last disk before the next-to-last, which I actually received last. Following along so far? Good.

"Voice in the Wilderness, Pt 1 and 2" were decent enough episodes; I'm curious to see if that planet will play any significant part in the future (no spoilers, please).

"Babylon Squared" was very interesting, since they revealed the fate of B4, as well as an important decision for Delynn.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #590 on: 09 February 2015, 12:47:57 »
Last night I watched Almost Famous, the bootleg cut on Blue-ray.  I haven’t seen the movie in years, so I don’t know what is different about it, though I did enjoy it very much.  There’s a ton of cool special features as well. 

I also watched two documentaries, both with a music theme:

The History of the Eagles – On Netflix.  This was originally a two-part documentary, but both parts are shown together on Netflix.  Part one is the beginnings up to the 1980 breakup, and part two covers the Frey and Henley solo stuff and then the reunion up to more recent times.  They were able to interview all the former and current members of the Eagles, which I thought was fantastic.  It’s a very well done documentary and highly recommended, especially if you like the Eagles.

Beware of Mr. Baker – On Netflix.  A very well done documentary about Ginger Baker, best known as the often volatile drummer from Cream.  Highly recommended, even if you hate the guy LOL

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #591 on: 09 February 2015, 13:08:58 »
I saw it when I was older than 15 and had a nose for satire. It did not come across as satire for me, and also did the source material a great disservice.

The director deliberately made changes based on some of his personal misgivings.  The script was originally not related to Starship Troopers when it was greenlit.  The name was eventually licensed and changes made to bring it more inline with the original story.  However, the director's feelings on the source material (which i've come to share) was that it lacked any kind of depth, sense of irony or self awareness.  A civilization built on propaganda and institutionalized violence would over time believe it's own nonsense.  The Starship Troopers of the film was the director's vision of how the militarist future of the book would actually play out; a ridiculous farce that crushed common sense beneath a relentless administration of violence.

The missing power armor and such would have given the Federation too much credit.  If what they had  actually worked the message of the movie would have been that militarism works.  The military arm of the Federation actually performs in a clownish manner because the Federation had become so arrogant and institutionalized to brutalizing other humans that it was inadequate to meet the threat of a non-human species.  You see it time and again in the film.  Whether it is the arrogance of "shoot a nuke down a bug hole, get alotta dead bugs" or the pointless knife throwing scene that is actually about doing things for the sake of doing them, and not questioning authority tells us that the Federation's military was far more concerned with being tough and in control than practical.  The need of the military to assert itself in politics and eliminate opposing voices had actually blinded it from being able to do the job.  Starship Troopers the book is lacking in that kind of criticism.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #592 on: 09 February 2015, 13:41:31 »
Caught John Wick,  really good, basic action flick.

Hector and the Pursuit of Happiness was ok. Not bad but it kinda left me with wishing for something a little less paint by numbers.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #593 on: 09 February 2015, 15:02:25 »
However, the director's feelings on the source material (which i've come to share) was that it lacked any kind of depth, sense of irony or self awareness.  A civilization built on propaganda and institutionalized violence would over time believe it's own nonsense.  The Starship Troopers of the film was the director's vision of how the militarist future of the book would actually play out; a ridiculous farce that crushed common sense beneath a relentless administration of violence.
I could say you both missed the point of the book, but I suppose that's a very subjective judgement so I'll say I got something much different out of the book than you did.   

In my opinion, the book was never meant to present a realistic or even recommended method of government.  It was a framework in order for the author to address issues of responsibility, both to oneself and to society.  All of the flash backs to Juan's citizenship classes (in the book) were about this very issue.

People refer to the government in SST as "militaristic" but the fact was in the book people in the military had no say in government whatsoever.  It was only after they successfully completed their term of service that people became "citizens" and could participate in the political process.  True, the book itself could be considered "militaristic" but the main character was a soldier and the story took place during a galaxy wide total war so that's kind of hard to avoid.  The author was also a veteran himself and it was written at a time when military service was still generally considered in a positive personal choice and an honorable career.

The core idea of the book was not that the military should run the government, but that responsible people should run the government.  So-called "federal service" (which was not always military service, although that was the largest branch of federal service) was the differentiators used.  It allowed anyone to become a citizen, but they had to volunteer for dangerous, arduous or at the very least tedious service to qualify based on the idea that people don't value things that are given to them for free.   Maybe it would not work in real life, but its an interesting idea.

But what do I know?   ;)
Mike

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #594 on: 09 February 2015, 15:55:48 »
I could say you both missed the point of the book, but I suppose that's a very subjective judgement so I'll say I got something much different out of the book than you did.   

In my opinion, the book was never meant to present a realistic or even recommended method of government.  It was a framework in order for the author to address issues of responsibility, both to oneself and to society.  All of the flash backs to Juan's citizenship classes (in the book) were about this very issue.

People refer to the government in SST as "militaristic" but the fact was in the book people in the military had no say in government whatsoever.  It was only after they successfully completed their term of service that people became "citizens" and could participate in the political process.  True, the book itself could be considered "militaristic" but the main character was a soldier and the story took place during a galaxy wide total war so that's kind of hard to avoid.  The author was also a veteran himself and it was written at a time when military service was still generally considered in a positive personal choice and an honorable career.

The core idea of the book was not that the military should run the government, but that responsible people should run the government.  So-called "federal service" (which was not always military service, although that was the largest branch of federal service) was the differentiators used.  It allowed anyone to become a citizen, but they had to volunteer for dangerous, arduous or at the very least tedious service to qualify based on the idea that people don't value things that are given to them for free.   Maybe it would not work in real life, but its an interesting idea.

Nailed it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #595 on: 09 February 2015, 18:25:51 »
Just rewatched that one.   Still good.

Saw it sunday afternoon, and other than the cussing, and that one scene with the crew screwing over those 2 gals, i loved the film.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #596 on: 09 February 2015, 19:39:10 »
just finished watching anime of starship troopers  it was fun and the gorrila suits were dead on on description...sadly story toward end was not close to source material which was awesome in itself

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #597 on: 10 February 2015, 02:07:21 »
"Killing Season" with DeNiro and Travolta. Both turn in excellent performances, and the story and how it plays out is worth the watch. It's available streaming on Netflix.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #598 on: 10 February 2015, 02:54:54 »
Rewatched a decent slasher type flick with Kane (WWE), See no Evil.  Only question i had, was for a bunch of 'juveniles, they all seemed to be in their early to mid 20s...

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #599 on: 10 February 2015, 04:35:59 »
Watched few days ago "Nebraska". ;D

Register