Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140057 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #750 on: 15 March 2015, 12:34:07 »
Beats me.  I never actually watched the movie- I wasn't terribly impressed by the previous Star Trek film so I never got around to watch Into Darkness.  I don't really get the criticism myself, since at least half of the Star Trek movies have been action oriented (and aside from Star Trek IV, most of the non-action ones weren't regarded very highly either).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #751 on: 15 March 2015, 12:58:06 »
Beats me.  I never actually watched the movie- I wasn't terribly impressed by the previous Star Trek film so I never got around to watch Into Darkness.  I don't really get the criticism myself, since at least half of the Star Trek movies have been action oriented (and aside from Star Trek IV, most of the non-action ones weren't regarded very highly either).

While there are some valid complaints about the movie, I don't think it's near as bad as the absolute wave of hate & disgust that it got.  I figure a good deal of that was internet bandwagoning, which equates to a modern day witch hunt in some cases. 

I've watched it a few times, it's not a bad movie, and I think it would be a bit more accessible for someone new to the series rather than someone who's been a fan forever and can't loosen their grip on the past. 

Also, many of the complaints about it can be applied to the original series, which ripped itself off a few times, had more of an emphasis on action, and even the best episodes had a plot hole or two. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #752 on: 15 March 2015, 13:11:29 »
Into Darkness was popcorn/bubble gum (leave your brain out your head) thrill ride.

I personally had some issues with it, it was fun ride. 

However, it took some serious liberties if the entire universe was suppose to be a variant of the old one but still considered to be canon.   Aside from the technology being too advanced at time period they were in, Into Darkness had Khan and before Kirk even found the guy. Klingons weren't made into human like versions that Federation, which hadn't really seen what Klingons look like.  Again, that different take.   Personally, if they just said it's was imagining/reboot of the franchise verse a alternate timeline. I would had been cool with the changes except for Kirk going from Cadet to Captain in matter of months.

I think though my biggest problem with this film was it was big remake of Star Trek II and not trying to do more original with it. Also the Starship battles were confusing and hard to follow too so it wasn't enjoyable to me.  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #753 on: 15 March 2015, 14:15:04 »
I'm not trying to convince someone it was or wasn't a good film, or even a good or bad Trek film. All I am hoping for is some consistency in their evaluation. If the person claims there's too much action in "Into Darkness," yet holds up "Wrath of Khan" as their ideal Trek film, then they obviously aren't following an internal logic.

@Wrangler -
Your first actual paragraph is a good example, in my mind, of a "legitimate" gripe/deconstruction of what you didn't like.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #754 on: 15 March 2015, 14:20:43 »
I'm not trying to convince someone it was or wasn't a good film, or even a good or bad Trek film. All I am hoping for is some consistency in their evaluation. If the person claims there's too much action in "Into Darkness," yet holds up "Wrath of Khan" as their ideal Trek film, then they obviously aren't following an internal logic.

Maybe Chris Pine just doesn't have the same flair for hand-to-hand combat as Shatner? ;)

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #755 on: 15 March 2015, 14:24:50 »
Maybe Chris Pine just doesn't have the same flair for hand-to-hand combat as Shatner? ;)

I'm probably going to be branded a blasphemer here, but I liked Pine better as Kirk. I don't dislike Shatner...dunno, something about Pine/Quinto really works well.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #756 on: 15 March 2015, 14:56:18 »

It seems like Pine has no problem fighting with anyone. It seems like he likes fighting as Kirk. Fought at the bar, on the drill, Spock, on the Narada, and thats what I can remember from the first movie.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #757 on: 15 March 2015, 15:24:09 »
I was actually commenting on Shatner's "unique" fighting style.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #758 on: 15 March 2015, 17:10:27 »
Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Agreed.  Lucy was totally brainless.  Fury and DoFP were both awesome!

I'm probably going to be branded a blasphemer here, but I liked Pine better as Kirk. I don't dislike Shatner...dunno, something about Pine/Quinto really works well.

Shat's always going to be the man, but i will admit i am enjoying the Pine/Quinto pairing.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #759 on: 15 March 2015, 18:25:13 »
Just got back from Chappie.  I wonder what will happen when Chappie is introduced to the concept of LAN party, or at the least copy-paste of the identities.  Eventually Ninja will die (unless they purchase the Tetravall factory, including the scanner), so if the trio want more robots, they will need to copy themselves.

Plus when Deon gets the idea to upload to the internet, or set up their own computer network at the 'home'.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 18:57:32 by idea weenie »

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #760 on: 15 March 2015, 18:37:21 »
Appreciate the spoiler tags.  O0
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 19:10:20 by Aokarasu »

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #761 on: 16 March 2015, 08:30:42 »

Cowboy swings?

Introduced some friends to the bumbling, mumbling mess that is The Dark Knight Rises.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #762 on: 16 March 2015, 11:10:56 »
Cowboy swings?

Introduced some friends to the bumbling, mumbling mess that is The Dark Knight Rises.

There were parts of that movie that are awesome and parts that were just boring.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #763 on: 16 March 2015, 18:50:57 »
Constantine. Years since I've it, better than I remember.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #764 on: 16 March 2015, 19:05:00 »
Constantine. Years since I've it, better than I remember.
because fan boys of hellblazer let it die
i remember when it came out most comic book fans were on verge of bringing pitchforks to the theater  and few torches as well
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #765 on: 16 March 2015, 19:42:12 »
because fan boys of hellblazer let it die
i remember when it came out most comic book fans were on verge of bringing pitchforks to the theater  and few torches as well

I enjoyed it, but I also had no emotional investment with the comic source material.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #767 on: 18 March 2015, 19:56:09 »
Ended up watching How To Train Your Dragon 2 on Netflix.  Decent, but there were some plot holes that stood out.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #768 on: 19 March 2015, 01:26:34 »
Was looking at some up coming movies that might be good, and noticed one with Morgan Freeman and Clive owen, the Last Knight, which comes out Apr 3...  but am surprised i have not seen ANY trailers for it on TV..

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #769 on: 19 March 2015, 06:26:45 »
I *really* want to see the movie, "Pixel," now.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #770 on: 20 March 2015, 08:01:42 »
Did anyone see Interstellar?  Just wondering if it's a rent or a buy
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #772 on: 20 March 2015, 13:49:53 »
Since I don't have HBO, I've been "binge" watching Season 4 of "Game of Thrones" - get disc in, watch both episodes that night, ship disc back out next day, wait 3 days for next disc. Just finished disc 4 (Episodes 7 and 8) last night. Man, oh, man.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #773 on: 20 March 2015, 14:39:16 »
Finished season 2 of Orphan Black last night. .. WOW. Really wished I hadn't ruined the big reveal at the end by watching the season 3 trailer.  To quote Wil Wheaton, "Please, please don't f#:# this up."

Watched In a World. .. as well. I thought a movie by Lake Bell would be more .... risky. It's a good watch but kinda standard romcom.

Edit due to auto correct. ..
« Last Edit: 21 March 2015, 00:50:32 by THUD »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #774 on: 20 March 2015, 23:16:02 »
Did anyone see Interstellar?  Just wondering if it's a rent or a buy

I am awaiting it coming out at the Library (already got it on reservation).

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #775 on: 21 March 2015, 06:49:54 »
I *really* want to see the movie, "Pixel," now.

I just hope it comes out better then Battleship.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #776 on: 21 March 2015, 21:55:15 »
ok i am the only person that i know of that had not seen even one episode of game of thrones or sons of anarchy...
i just do not know why i do not want to see either at least not yet anyway
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #777 on: 22 March 2015, 15:33:03 »
I have caught 2 eps of Sons of anarchy.  Hated them both.  I get enough crime on tv as is with all the cop shows, i don't really want to watch a show glorifying it.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #778 on: 22 March 2015, 16:08:16 »
I have caught 2 eps of Sons of anarchy.  Hated them both.  I get enough crime on tv as is with all the cop shows, i don't really want to watch a show glorifying it.

It really doesn't glorify it; that much is made clear not too long into the show.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #779 on: 22 March 2015, 21:20:35 »
It really doesn't glorify it; that much is made clear not too long into the show.

I have never watched Sons of Anarchy and breaking bad and people ask me "how do you get buy?" And "you don't know what your missing" it's annoying. I don't watch some of the good ones I guess.

Register