Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140192 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1170 on: 06 March 2016, 17:15:08 »
In some ways it's commendable that they wanted to go that route, given how overdone and cliche the lesbian athlete is in fiction.  The problem was that the studio apparently only made that decision after about half of the film had already been shot and they didn't want to redo those scenes.  So it's left like the two are on the verge of making out with each other only to fall into an awkward cat fight over a random dude that they hadn't shown any interest in until then.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1171 on: 06 March 2016, 18:21:34 »
Well, I don't find it commendable in any way. I'm glad though that what is left of that helped a confused person - me - see a way to find peace with herself. I've met other Queer people that got a similar lift from the movie, and many more that got a huge lift from Queen Elsa in Frozen.

I wonder what would happen if we had more open Same-Sex attractions/relationships in mainstream media?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1172 on: 06 March 2016, 20:01:34 »
I think that it's inevitable that we'll see it portrayed as a normal thing more often, just as we're seeing in the real world.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1173 on: 07 March 2016, 15:24:33 »
It IMO is already going on..  Not one of the new comedy shows on tv for the past 3 years has NOT had a token LGBT character in it, and some are very overt..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1174 on: 07 March 2016, 15:32:29 »
I wouldn't read too much into it, and find it strange that people do.  I mean, why would all these terrible harpy women marry all these bumbling idiot men? 

Saw World War Z finally.  Not terrible, but not good.  All that stuff in the last minute would have been fun to explore.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1175 on: 07 March 2016, 16:03:52 »
I guess for me -and I really don't watch 'new' tv shows - is while it's good to have more Queer characters, I'm hoping for the day when, out of the 1000 boy-meets-girl movies Hollywood releases, we get a few movies that take a look at Same Sex relationships, as they really happen. Not just the quirky Gay friend, but movies where couples meet, fall in love, and either make the 'ship work, or not.

I'm still hoping for Out-and-Proud Queer characters in Star Trek, too. For all the strides towards equality  Trek has made, the lack of LGBTQA characters as part of the main cast, is getting....annoying.

That's something I love about Food Network, the show 'Chopped' has loads of Queer chefs, and it's more "if I win, I'm going to take my [Same-Sex spouse] on a well-deserved Vacation." You know, it's just a characteristic of these chefs, not a controversial focus.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1176 on: 07 March 2016, 16:15:26 »
It IMO is already going on..  Not one of the new comedy shows on tv for the past 3 years has NOT had a token LGBT character in it, and some are very overt..

Yeah, but I think what's being looked for is for it to be normal to have characters who are LGBT without that being their defining trait.  For example, if a hypothetical character was pitched as "about a gay medical student who enjoys mountain biking" vs "about a mountain-biking medical student who's gay," one would reasonably assume that the first character's role in a show is going to be about their sexual orientation while the second character's role is likely to be about their hobby.  I'm not really sure how much further this conversation can go without straying too far into Rule 4 territory, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1177 on: 07 March 2016, 17:13:30 »
Yeah, but I think what's being looked for is for it to be normal to have characters who are LGBT without that being their defining trait.
-

please excuse the ~snip~, but yes, this is very well put. :)

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1178 on: 07 March 2016, 18:10:25 »
On Wednesday I will watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on TNT at 7:30 to 11PM.

I have not seen it yet.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1179 on: 07 March 2016, 21:46:50 »
Justice league flashpoint paradox. DC \Warner Bros. Make great animated movies

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1180 on: 08 March 2016, 01:57:13 »
Yeah, but I think what's being looked for is for it to be normal to have characters who are LGBT without that being their defining trait.  For example, if a hypothetical character was pitched as "about a gay medical student who enjoys mountain biking" vs "about a mountain-biking medical student who's gay," one would reasonably assume that the first character's role in a show is going to be about their sexual orientation while the second character's role is likely to be about their hobby.  I'm not really sure how much further this conversation can go without straying too far into Rule 4 territory, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Exactly.  It seems (to my POV) that most of those shows where they have them, they are in the first grouping, rarely in the 2nd.  Such as Kurt in Glee.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1181 on: 08 March 2016, 02:08:23 »
Justice league flashpoint paradox. DC \Warner Bros. Make great animated movies

Just watched that, watching Justice League: War right now.

I can't figure out how DC can consistently produce high-quality animated showings but terrible live-action films.

Green Lantern: You're not just some guy in a bat costume, are you?
Batman: [trollface]

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1182 on: 08 March 2016, 07:13:36 »
^ Agreed. I'm going to have to hear a lot of good about the new Batman/Superman, I'm not hopeful at all, with DCs track record to date on the live actions.

Watched El Dorado again last night. Now, I know it's a re-do of Rio Bravo; and if anyone wants to say the Duke did better movies than this, I can't argue. But - for sheer fun, make-me-smile, when I want to sit down and enjoy a Western, my go to movie is El Dorado. :)

Appealing characters, sharp funny dialogue, patented Howard Hawks cool chicks, and the Duke at the top of his game. James Caan is amazing and cute as 'Mississippi', and well, Robert Mitchum spends 80% of the movie looking drunk or hungover - J.P. Hara was the role Mitchum was *born* to play. XD

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #1183 on: 08 March 2016, 07:34:35 »

Well-spoken, and that could easily apply to other identifiers (ethnicity, etc). I am hopeful that eventually Hollywood will eventually "get it."

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1184 on: 08 March 2016, 08:48:21 »
Well-spoken, and that could easily apply to other identifiers (ethnicity, etc). I am hopeful that eventually Hollywood will eventually "get it."

Agreed. If we could get a "people-are-people" thing going, I think that's what needs to be.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1185 on: 08 March 2016, 15:34:06 »
^ Agreed. I'm going to have to hear a lot of good about the new Batman/Superman, I'm not hopeful at all, with DCs track record to date on the live actions.

Maybe DC comics are just not that big of a pull compared to Marvel?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1186 on: 08 March 2016, 15:36:17 »
DC movies are not fun.  Just look at Man of Steel.  There is nothing lighthearted or fun about it.  Sadly, everything is played with deadpan seriousness.  Marvel at least had the good sense to remember that comics book movies are supposed to be fun.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1187 on: 09 March 2016, 09:21:57 »
@ garkhal and false son - I agree, I didn't even see Man of Steel because the word-of-mouth made it sound horrid. The Marvel movies I've seen were so fun and epic, especially the Iron Man & Avengers series.

The guy that took me to see the Iron Man movies was an anime, manga, and comics fan that was just barely aware of Iron Man as a character, and he loved them too. It's kind of shocking that DC has had misfires with their most iconic characters, and Marvel has hits based on 'Ant-Man' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1188 on: 09 March 2016, 10:25:41 »
@ garkhal and false son - I agree, I didn't even see Man of Steel because the word-of-mouth made it sound horrid. The Marvel movies I've seen were so fun and epic, especially the Iron Man & Avengers series.

The guy that took me to see the Iron Man movies was an anime, manga, and comics fan that was just barely aware of Iron Man as a character, and he loved them too. It's kind of shocking that DC has had misfires with their most iconic characters, and Marvel has hits based on 'Ant-Man' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

Maybe DC should hire or get advice from the crew that cast the Marvel movies, from "Iron Man" on.

Note: this is not a swing at Affleck as Batman, since I haven't seen it yet; I'm willing to give him a chance. Maybe, just maybe, he will be to that role what RDJ is to Stark/Iron Man.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1189 on: 09 March 2016, 10:44:11 »
The failures of The Losers and Green Lantern, which were the more lighthearted romps in the DCU make me believe that we are going to have darkness, oh so much darkness for the near future.

It is what it is.  I don't mind the approach being different from Marvel.  I'd just like something that doesn't make me feel gloomy after watching it.  Edginess is so 90's, and I liked the 90's.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1190 on: 09 March 2016, 10:55:22 »
I think it's the darkness-as-darkness that wears on me. From childhood til now, I've preferred Marvel to DC, just because of what you could call the "company tone".

I dunno...dark Superman?  :( I so adored the first 2 Christopher Reeve 'Superman' movies. Supes is 'supposed' to be the Big Blue Boy Scout. As for Affleck, I have no issues with him, and I really hope this new movie is good. I'm just afraid it wont be.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1191 on: 09 March 2016, 15:20:40 »

I absolute loved the MoS reboot for superman..  Even with it taking itself too seriously.  Great acting all around imo.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1192 on: 12 March 2016, 00:51:55 »
today was bit unusual my oldest youngling came home feeling sick so she planted herself across me like a cat so i put my laptop on me and let her watch time machince from 1960s and count of monte cristo 1975 with richard chambarlain...
she absolutley loved  the count!
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1193 on: 12 March 2016, 02:46:22 »
I have Antonio Banderas's 33 for this weekend's viewing pleasure...

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1194 on: 12 March 2016, 18:20:16 »
Just got back from watching Deadpool. I was absolutely rolling with laughter during the film, I noticed my Wife chuckling a time or two, but, I don't think she enjoyed it near as much. I asked her how she liked it and all I got was: "Ehhh....Well, It was definitely crazy." *laughs* I'm looking forward to seeing it again sometime.

On the possible list for movies tonight? I might pop in Bone Tomahawk and see how it is.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1195 on: 13 March 2016, 01:05:48 »
Got done watching both the 33 and spectre.

Absolutely loved the 33.  Banderas, cote, LDP and gabriel byrne were all great..  Very well acted all around.

As for spectre.  A good film, that did a nice job tying in all of Craig's prior three films to an old but good bond villain.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1196 on: 13 March 2016, 07:46:47 »
I watched The Sons of Katie Elder, The Patriot, and Outlander yesterday while recovering. Good times.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1197 on: 13 March 2016, 08:53:43 »
I watched The Sons of Katie Elder, The Patriot, and Outlander yesterday while recovering. Good times.

I watched The Sons of Katie Elder, too. :) I pretty much haven't gone a week without watching the Duke in over 20 years.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1198 on: 13 March 2016, 09:02:16 »

The Patriot is one of my favorite movies, even if its historical accuracy isn't exactly the best.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1199 on: 15 March 2016, 22:01:25 »
The Patriot is one of my favorite movies, even if its historical accuracy isn't exactly the best.

The hardest scene to watch is when his youngest daughter, who hasn't been speaking, pleads with him to not leave: "I'll say anything you want me to, just don't go away again!"

That scene was so very well done.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Register