Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139988 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1290 on: 27 June 2016, 02:30:06 »
Fare enough..

As a question for those who have already seen ID4 Resurgence.. Does it explain how Dr Okun is back from the dead??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1291 on: 28 June 2016, 14:52:34 »
ok since my rugrats are off to see their great aunt and my mrs still looking after her ailing old man i finally got around to watching and finishing
girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy...
it helped that i am also on enforced bed rest by the doctors...
now working on full 5 seasons of andromeda...
i am gong nuts i need to go out and leave the bloody bed before i turn to mush from boredom
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1292 on: 28 June 2016, 15:26:38 »
You mean that's not just a side-effect of too much Kevin Sorbo?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1293 on: 28 June 2016, 17:06:30 »
You mean that's not just a side-effect of too much Kevin Sorbo?
nope...never liked hercules  but the actress playing the AI in the show makes up for it

met him few years back he is really a laid back guy with very nice and sharp wit with humor to match...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1294 on: 28 June 2016, 17:28:48 »
Funny.  I heard that he had an attitude and that was why most of the original cast of Andromeda quit after the first couple of seasons.  Of course, I only saw a few episodes while it was on FOX.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1295 on: 29 June 2016, 00:16:12 »
Caught a real old one this evening, TAPS starting Tom Cruise, George scott, Timothy hutton, and sean pen.  I rather liked it, though the ending was sad..  I would have liked to seen a little more at the end, where they dealt with the aftermath of that situation.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1296 on: 06 July 2016, 08:41:11 »
I watched Zootopia and 13 Hours last night.

I enjoyed them both.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1297 on: 06 July 2016, 13:10:12 »
Now onto what i just got done watching.

First up was the docudrama Race, about Jessie Owens going to the 1936 Olympic games. Loved it. Solid 4 out of 5 stars for me. One of the things that might have made it better, was a little more on his earlier life, like who that 'coach' who recommended him to OSU was and such.

Then came "hail Casear". Decent, but way off base from what the previews made it seem like.. A comedy action where clooney's character gets kidnapped, and Johanson and hill's characters have to go find & rescue him..
BUT i loved Tatums character in it!

Also, had Eddie the Eagle.  LOVED IT..  As a brit who grew up in the UK during his fanfair, i was enarmored with all the chatter about eddie.  And while yes, he sucked in comparison to everyone else, you just had to admire the kid's spunk..
And both Jackman and Edgerton did a bang up job playing the characters they did..

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #1298 on: 07 July 2016, 00:20:10 »
The guy didn't just sucked, he sucked hard. The biggest jumping places tried to bribe him so he wouldn't come, because they didn't want to see him getting killed there. They had to lower the starting places to make it safer for him, making the competitions less interesting.
Shoot first, laugh later.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1299 on: 07 July 2016, 13:38:30 »
Caught a real old one this evening, TAPS starting Tom Cruise, George scott, Timothy hutton, and sean pen.  I rather liked it, though the ending was sad..  I would have liked to seen a little more at the end, where they dealt with the aftermath of that situation.

Filmed on location at scenic Valley Forge Military Academy and College.  The truck break down scene was next to the Wayne train station.  It always makes me laugh because real life Bunker Hill, aka VFMAC sits in Wayne, a town with a large Hippie population surrounding the campus.  Art imitating life.

Every cadet cast member stayed on campus, except for Tom Cruise.  Rumor has it the actual cadets on campus gave him a hard time and he stayed in a hotel.

I did my patriotic duty by staying in to avoid the rain on July 4th, and watching Independence Day without a shred of shame.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1300 on: 07 July 2016, 14:12:01 »
had my youngling watch 1972 solaris in original russian and english subs

she really enjoyed it since she asked a lot of questions after watching it...
after we were done i let her have my digital copy of the book...she is still reading it

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1301 on: 08 July 2016, 01:56:39 »
Caught an old Tom Sellek film Runaway tonight.  Man were some of the cops dunces..  BUT loved gene simmons as the baddie..

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1302 on: 08 July 2016, 06:57:34 »
Just saw Jaws on the IMAX dome! Things are so much better on a 50 foot screen.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1303 on: 08 July 2016, 10:28:40 »
Caught an old Tom Sellek film Runaway tonight.  Man were some of the cops dunces..  BUT loved gene simmons as the baddie..
yes simmons as bad guy was fun...

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #1304 on: 08 July 2016, 11:44:57 »
yes simmons as bad guy was fun...

He was also good as the antagonist in "Wanted: Dead or Alive."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1305 on: 08 July 2016, 16:11:27 »
What made me laugh, is when the credits started up and my mom saw the name, she though it was going to be the Female Gene Simmons, an actress from the 60s or so.. the one Jean, not Gene..

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #1306 on: 09 July 2016, 08:09:19 »
"The Secret Life of Pets." Soooo many funny moments, some nice homages and shout-outs to various things. Just a good, fun film.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1307 on: 09 July 2016, 17:11:18 »
Caught the latest Lampoons offering, Vacation, continuing the Griswold legacy of Crassness and dumb antics.
It was a decent film, but no where near as good as the originals..  best scene imo was the whole college campus "daisy do anything" scene and then the one on the 4 corners with the cops..

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #1308 on: 10 July 2016, 06:00:22 »
Just discovered that not only the italians are mafiosi,I wacthed "The road to perdition" with Tom Hanks and Paul Newman a story about irish mafia.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1309 on: 10 July 2016, 12:01:08 »
After waiting forever to get my wife to watch it, we've finally watched Deadpool.  Pretty funny and twisty dark comedy/action hero flick.  I was little taken back to how dense Colossal was to DP's lack of interest in joining the pure heroes.  I know it's just a movie..

I think Reynolds and his partner who worked on the movie did a bang up job putting this one together.
I'm curious how they will make sequel to top it.

Side-Question: Was the carrier that was being scrapped, a SHIELD, flying aircraft carrier or a regular one?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1310 on: 10 July 2016, 12:48:40 »
It was a nod to the SHIELD helicarrier, but the MCU and X-Men movies (which Deadpool is a part of) aren't in the same setting.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1311 on: 10 July 2016, 13:03:43 »
was rummaging through a lot of old stuff last night...bored spitless due to enforced rest by the doctors,,,
found this old funny gem moon over parador richard dryfuss raul julia and jonathan winters
still smirking at scene with 2 policemen looking at the 2 posters one blue and the other red showing the dictator
and one is asking the other who is he voting for...one replyes red...second looks and first and first shruggs his shoulders and adds  its a free dictatorship

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1312 on: 10 July 2016, 14:24:35 »
It was a nod to the SHIELD helicarrier, but the MCU and X-Men movies (which Deadpool is a part of) aren't in the same setting.

It seemed to be a nod to the heli carriers, more in the veins of the ones over DC in Winter soldier imo than the original one.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1313 on: 11 July 2016, 10:06:42 »
"The Secret Life of Pets." Soooo many funny moments, some nice homages and shout-outs to various things. Just a good, fun film.
Wife and I went out to see this last night.

Fun, didn't feel like we'd wasted $15.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1314 on: 17 July 2016, 21:41:01 »
I've seen the new Ghostbusters movie. 

I'm old, I've seen all the previous films in theaters in seen them and loved them. 

I'd like make statement: This one WASN'T CRAP, IT WAS FUNNY!  Thank you. 

There WAY TOo much hate (I want to believe) out there out love for the original film series.  Which isn't wrong except hate part. I watched the film, judge it myself.  Its really is fine.

It a Reboot, no past old Ghostbusters, but there nods to the old movies.  Yes, this isn't your Ghostbuster's but new generation it was good and fine and more importantly it was funny film.  Wig and her fellow writer did a good job writing the movie.  Special effects were fine, not shoty.  I was concern from what little i did see advertise of it, that the film was going to be cheaply made.  Thankfully it wasnt.  One issue i did have, was that its not your struggling Ghost Busters of the past. A lot things were glossed over just hair when came to how they were paying for stuff and how established Ghosts were, government knew about it.

Give it a chance, but remember. It's own animal, treat as such.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1315 on: 18 July 2016, 00:02:45 »
I've seen the new Ghostbusters movie. 

I'm old, I've seen all the previous films in theaters in seen them and loved them. 

I'd like make statement: This one WASN'T CRAP, IT WAS FUNNY!  Thank you. 

There WAY TOo much hate (I want to believe) out there out love for the original film series.  Which isn't wrong except hate part. I watched the film, judge it myself.  Its really is fine.

It a Reboot, no past old Ghostbusters, but there nods to the old movies.  Yes, this isn't your Ghostbuster's but new generation it was good and fine and more importantly it was funny film.  Wig and her fellow writer did a good job writing the movie.  Special effects were fine, not shoty.  I was concern from what little i did see advertise of it, that the film was going to be cheaply made.  Thankfully it wasnt.  One issue i did have, was that its not your struggling Ghost Busters of the past. A lot things were glossed over just hair when came to how they were paying for stuff and how established Ghosts were, government knew about it.

Give it a chance, but remember. It's own animal, treat as such.
maybe will see it wednsday...4btw had you ever seen the real ghostbusters cartoons? resemblence i think is more than passing

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1316 on: 18 July 2016, 17:03:48 »
maybe will see it wednsday...4btw had you ever seen the real ghostbusters cartoons? resemblence i think is more than passing
I've seen every Ghostbusters rendition there has been.  I'm not sure if i agree with there any passing resemblance to the cartoon.  The blond actress's hair due did remind me of Harold Ramis blond rendition of his character, glasses and hair due (flock of seagulls..) However, aside from that nothing in the film gave me a Real Ghost Buster and it's sequel Extreme Ghost Busters.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1317 on: 21 July 2016, 02:09:31 »
On a whim i picked up the film "The Walk" about that french wire walker, who did a high walk between the Twin towers in 1974..  Man was it a good pic..  LOVED the film.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1318 on: 21 July 2016, 09:29:55 »
    Star Trek Beyond (2016)

PROS:
    -Everyone gets a chance to shine.
    -Better than Into Darkness (that was an awful movie)
    -More prominence of Bones McCoy
    -funnier than the typical Trek movie

CONS:
    -Action sequences in the dark are totally confusing
    -Retro music is too much (Beastie Boys and Public enemy) and doesnt belong in a futuristic film
    -More style than substance
    -a little too much comedy at times

All in all, I had somewhat low expectations so it was a pleasant surprise. I hope they keep coming out with new storylines as opposed to rehashing things like the previous movie did. 7.5/10

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1319 on: 21 July 2016, 09:33:56 »
Why am I not surprised? James Gunn totally called it: people are going to learn the wrong things from Guardians of the Galaxy. Namely i'm-so-hipster-i'm-retro music and wisecracks galore.

I just hope Suicide Squad will be good nonetheless.

Register