Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140059 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1350 on: 28 July 2016, 14:14:55 »
Always liked the Ref..

As for hackers Vs Sneakers.  IMO go with Sneakers!

If you want cornball stuff you can laugh at guilt-free, go with "Hackers." No, really, try and keep a straight face when they're shouting, "Hack the planet!"

For a well written and overall good movie, watch "Sneakers." The overall cast is brilliant. Plus the scene where they're all asking for what they want is gold.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1351 on: 28 July 2016, 20:28:34 »
Just went and saw the new Ghostbusters.  Enjoyed it a lot.  Make sure to stay until the credits are completely done if you see it, though.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1352 on: 28 July 2016, 20:39:55 »
If you want cornball stuff you can laugh at guilt-free, go with "Hackers." No, really, try and keep a straight face when they're shouting, "Hack the planet!"

For a well written and overall good movie, watch "Sneakers." The overall cast is brilliant. Plus the scene where they're all asking for what they want is gold.

I still have both on VHS. Still have a lot of movies on VHS.. need to find the time to upgrade. Got three for next weekend to get the kids to watch. Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, and Princess Bride. Maybe Willow too.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #1353 on: 28 July 2016, 21:28:59 »
Took one of the minions to see the new Trek yesterday.  Surprisingly, I did not hate it.  I did hate the starbase.  Overall, it was a decent action film, but the [oops]villain's development[/oops] seemed to be lacking. 

Meow Liao
« Last Edit: 29 July 2016, 21:47:34 by Meow Liao »

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1354 on: 28 July 2016, 22:12:39 »
I would have to say that was the most unique Trek starbase I have ever seen.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1355 on: 28 July 2016, 23:43:51 »
trust a Liao to spring a spoiler unannounced. well I'm not much of a Trekkie nohow.

borrowed a slew of movies from the library because procrastination: The Martian was good and left me hungering for spuds, I found Now You See Me's much vaunted twist incredibly silly and Kungfu Panda 3 went full ****** to cartoon mode in violent reaction I suppose to Guillermo del Toro's Kungfu Panda 2 (which I enjoyed) so meh... very meh. Frankly the only thing that amused me was the bits of shoutouts to chinese culture slipped in here and there.

looking forward to Suicide Squad!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1356 on: 28 July 2016, 23:52:02 »
Yeah, spoiler tags exist for a reason, FFS.  >:(

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1357 on: 29 July 2016, 05:44:30 »
Saw Star Trek Beyond and it was great, the best of the redos to me.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1358 on: 29 July 2016, 12:41:42 »
Just got back from the new Ghostbusters. I enjoyed it quite a bit, my kids loved it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1359 on: 29 July 2016, 12:45:54 »
Just got back from the new Ghostbusters. I enjoyed it quite a bit, my kids loved it.

Did you stay until the end of the credits?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1360 on: 29 July 2016, 13:36:45 »
Just went and saw the new Ghostbusters.  Enjoyed it a lot.  Make sure to stay until the credits are completely done if you see it, though.

I was actually pleasently surprised at how much i enjoyed that film.  Really loved how the new proton packs worked, and the additional weapons the geeky gal made (especially those grenades)..  Though was very shocked they didn't get to where they were able to store what they had trapped yet.
LOVED the Cameos from the first Ghost busters cast..  Venkman (Bill Murray) as a skeptic.  Ray (Dan Ackroyd) as a taxi driver, and LOVED his quip of "I aint afraid of no ghost".  Winston (Ernie Hudson) as the 'funeral home owning Uncle'..  They even did Jenene Melnits (the first films wacky assistant) as the hotel manager.. 
Pity they couldn't also fit in Louis Tully..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1361 on: 29 July 2016, 13:47:56 »
Well, Rick Moranis has been pretty adamant about not wanting to act anymore for a long time.  And apparently he didn't particularly like his character in the original films, so he wasn't interested in showing up for a cameo in this one.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1362 on: 29 July 2016, 14:57:05 »
I'm going to watch the following on TV:
Thu, 28 July: The Other Woman (2014) on FX @730PM.
Sat, 30 July: Logan's Run (1976) on TCM @545PM.

Cool. now I know I'll have something good for background noise Saturday afternoon.
I have the film on DVD, but it's always a fun film to watch.

And on the Hackers vs Sneakers Q: I'd go Sneakers. While I do like both films, Sneakers is just better. Wonderful cast, decent plot, and rather good performances from all the cast.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1363 on: 29 July 2016, 15:16:45 »
I was actually pleasently surprised at how much i enjoyed that film.  Really loved how the new proton packs worked, and the additional weapons the geeky gal made (especially those grenades)..  Though was very shocked they didn't get to where they were able to store what they had trapped yet.
LOVED the Cameos from the first Ghost busters cast..  Venkman (Bill Murray) as a skeptic.  Ray (Dan Ackroyd) as a taxi driver, and LOVED his quip of "I aint afraid of no ghost".  Winston (Ernie Hudson) as the 'funeral home owning Uncle'..  They even did Jenene Melnits (the first films wacky assistant) as the hotel manager.. 
Pity they couldn't also fit in Louis Tully..
was in nyc previous weekend saw the original fire house from gb place was packed with tourists ...too bad they were working on the building so no one got a good pic....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1364 on: 29 July 2016, 16:29:43 »
Did you stay until the end of the credits?
We did. They set up a remake of the original film and I hope they don't go that route. I must say that I'm glad the credits included plenty of other visual content. Such as Rowan making the police and troops dance. The scene in the film was definitely missing something.

LOVED the Cameos from the first Ghost busters cast.. 
Don't forget Harold Ramis' bust and Sigourney Weaver as Holtzmann's mentor.

I was slightly disappointed with the ghost trap and the regular proton guns. Everything else was a little more modern and streamlined. Those looked larger and cobbled together. It kind of made sense but didn't fit well with the rest of the gear.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1365 on: 29 July 2016, 17:33:34 »
I thought that the trap and proton packs fit Holtzmann's personality- she cobbled them together on her first try, then moved on to other gadgets rather than continue refining them because she lost interest.  And I wouldn't say that they set up a remake of the original so much as setting up for a larger plot in the sequel.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1366 on: 30 July 2016, 10:27:36 »
Watched the first four episodes of Stranger Things (Netflix) last night. Holy crap is that good. I'm a nitpicker and so far I haven't haven't picked a single nit.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1367 on: 30 July 2016, 11:49:55 »
Watched the first four episodes of Stranger Things (Netflix) last night. Holy crap is that good. I'm a nitpicker and so far I haven't haven't picked a single nit.

Only watched the first two, so far, but agreed.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1368 on: 30 July 2016, 13:31:34 »
I thought that the trap and proton packs fit Holtzmann's personality- she cobbled them together on her first try, then moved on to other gadgets rather than continue refining them because she lost interest.  And I wouldn't say that they set up a remake of the original so much as setting up for a larger plot in the sequel.

But are they actually going to DO a sequel?

Oh had another "love it" momemnt..  The marshmallow man belly flopping on the gals!

Caught 3 movies last night.  First up was the last of those 3 movies i chekced out from the library earlier..  Before i sleep with Kidman..
VERY good psychological thriller...

Next came up a major snoozefest, but had 2 good named actors amongst the rest of the no names (Alec baldwin and Danny glover)..  The from Andron, was kind of a mashup of hunger games meets maze runner....  Plotline was semi decent, however the effects, acting and general implementation of said plot was where things went pear shaped imo.
Then came Midnight special..  I liked it a lot even if 2/3rds of the film seemed to be in the dark.

However i would have LOVED to see a little afters of it, like news reports on the "Mass hallucinations everyone in that 1000 mile or so bubble" saw of alien structures..

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1369 on: 30 July 2016, 17:10:59 »
Jason Bourne 7/10

Better than the last two Bourne movies and definitely better than the last James Bond one!  O0

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1370 on: 30 July 2016, 17:50:45 »
Caught Edge of Tomorrow last night as well. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Loved the jackets, even if they appeared poorly designed. (A little more armor, please? Shrapnel is bad.) Hell of a twist on Groundhog's Day.  :D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1371 on: 31 July 2016, 00:21:16 »
But are they actually going to DO a sequel?

That depends entirely on how well this one does.  But if they choose to do so, they've got some ground for a potential plot set up with that scene.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1372 on: 31 July 2016, 01:33:03 »
Caught Edge of Tomorrow last night as well. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Loved the jackets, even if they appeared poorly designed. (A little more armor, please? Shrapnel is bad.) Hell of a twist on Groundhog's Day.  :D

IT was a decent action flick, but the whole repetition of everything wore on me..

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1373 on: 31 July 2016, 07:23:51 »
"Terminator Genisys" - very worthy addition to the franchise. Arnie did a good job of sharing the screen with Emilia and Jai.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 08:51:56 by Aokarasu »

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1374 on: 31 July 2016, 08:27:40 »
I enjoyed Terminator Genisys when I rented it.

Tonight I will watch Sharknado 4 on SyFy.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1375 on: 31 July 2016, 10:15:23 »
Well, Rick Moranis has been pretty adamant about not wanting to act anymore for a long time.  And apparently he didn't particularly like his character in the original films, so he wasn't interested in showing up for a cameo in this one.
yet they managed to get him to do at least some work on ghostbusters game a while back...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1376 on: 31 July 2016, 11:27:42 »
yet they managed to get him to do at least some work on ghostbusters game a while back...

No they didn't.  He specifically didn't appear in the Ghostbusters video game (neither did Sigourney Weaver).

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1377 on: 31 July 2016, 11:45:19 »
Yeah might want to check imdb.com if unclear on who has worked on what. Not sure if they are always 100% accurate but it is the best place to find those kinda things out  O0

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1378 on: 31 July 2016, 12:16:24 »
Finally saw Star Trek Beyond. Simon Pegg and his fellow writer did good job on the script.  They took some liberties on physics but it was a nice adventure. If this is the last installment of series, this would br nice end to it. 

I did not enjoy the way previous installments were done or written. This was best of the lot.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1379 on: 31 July 2016, 12:22:25 »
Well its not the last, though the next one does not have a posted release year on imdb, though Kirk is back to his womanizing ways. This time he has the hots for Wonder Woman. Tbr 2017

Hmm... I know what I will be watching next month. Sausage Party!!!
« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 12:40:52 by pheonixstorm »