Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139966 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #90 on: 22 March 2014, 18:58:04 »
Yep, I couldn't do a marathon without it. Not as corny, but it has its moments.

There was a cartoon movie for Starship Troopers?
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #91 on: 22 March 2014, 19:35:09 »
Watched Europa Report with the guys this week. Probably the best found footage movie ever made. Definitely a good space movie.

We did a little talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtMi3IIDbPU (Immature mature content)
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #92 on: 22 March 2014, 20:13:57 »

There was a cartoon movie for Starship Troopers?

Yup, not actually bad but really not the movie. Takes more cues from the books.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 23 March 2014, 15:00:13 »
Well got through the last days on mars ok, but was left wanting more at the end..  Did his message to mission control get responded to??  What WAS the deal with that bacteria??

Tried watching The Counciler (Brad pit, michael fassbender, camron dias) but could not get past 30 min in it was 'imo so damn boring..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #94 on: 24 March 2014, 11:52:35 »
Watched a few movies in the last week.

13 Assassins - A pretty good Japanese period piece, with lots of swordfights and action. 

Star Trek: Into Darkness - Better than the first movie, but still misses the mark of what made the original series so good and full of plot holes you could fly the Enterprise through.

Pacific Rim - Great action movies with excelent special effects.  Not a cinema classic by any means but good mindless fun. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 24 March 2014, 12:25:09 »
Galaxy Quest for the 100th time.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #96 on: 25 March 2014, 02:20:34 »
I'm incapable of thinking about that movie without wishing that Will Wheaton had been cast as a rabid fanboy who complained about how having a kid on the show totally ruined it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 25 March 2014, 06:47:25 »
I'm incapable of thinking about that movie without wishing that Will Wheaton had been cast as a rabid fanboy who complained about how having a kid on the show totally ruined it.

hehehe that be great and I bet he would love to do it too giving his impression on his own character.  He was just a young teen that didn't know how to work with writer into creating his character better.   He got stuck showing off his I.Q. with people ignoring him and just ending up going see I told you so like a spoil brat.  90% of the writing to him was if there a problem, he will resolve cause he is smarter then everyone else, especially those that are train to do fix such problem.  How can you NOT HATE that character??

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 25 March 2014, 12:37:00 »

What, galaxy quest?  Why would they have ruined it with Will Wheaton being in it?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #99 on: 25 March 2014, 22:00:40 »
No, Wil appearing as a character who was complaining about how having a kid on the show Galaxy Quest (in other words, the fictional show within the movie) ruined it.

Basically, have Wil Wheaton appearing in the movie as the kind of fans who complained about how Wesley Crusher ruined Star Trek TNG.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #100 on: 26 March 2014, 02:59:42 »
Last night I watched "Sinister"  [AAAH]

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 26 March 2014, 10:16:35 »
I watched Sweet Smell of Success over the weekend, which is a deliciously acidic movie about the depraved world of publicity in 50's New York.  It has some of the most crackling dialog I've ever heard.

"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #102 on: 26 March 2014, 10:52:09 »
Watched 'Gravity' last night. Of the 3 adults watching it, 1 really liked it (me, I personally thought it was amazing), 1 thought it was so-so, and one hated it. To those of you who have seen it what are your thoughts?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 26 March 2014, 10:58:16 »
Gravity is a phenomenal exercise in filmmaking, and one of the most inspiring technical examples of the art that I've ever seen.  Cuarón  and Lubezki (the director of photography) have such great vision and control of the camera in capturing those long takes and the grandeur & isolation of space.  I'm just sad you didn't get to see it on a big screen.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 26 March 2014, 11:30:07 »
No, Wil appearing as a character who was complaining about how having a kid on the show Galaxy Quest (in other words, the fictional show within the movie) ruined it.

Basically, have Wil Wheaton appearing in the movie as the kind of fans who complained about how Wesley Crusher ruined Star Trek TNG.

That fanboy is Justin Long first movie. So do we thank or say no thank you to that cast director?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 26 March 2014, 13:40:29 »
Gravity is a phenomenal exercise in filmmaking, and one of the most inspiring technical examples of the art that I've ever seen.  Cuarón  and Lubezki (the director of photography) have such great vision and control of the camera in capturing those long takes and the grandeur & isolation of space.  I'm just sad you didn't get to see it on a big screen.

I have it for tonights viewing pleasure..  So will let you know later.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #106 on: 26 March 2014, 16:04:18 »
I'm just sad you didn't get to see it on a big screen.

Oh but I did! I watched it in blur ray on my HD projector. Is an 7' x 11' foot screen considered 'big'?  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 26 March 2014, 19:11:57 »
Last night I watched "Sinister"  [AAAH]

I really liked that movie. A little warning, if you want to watch it avoid the trailer. It gives waaay too much away.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 27 March 2014, 01:20:30 »
Well got through Gravity.  Solid 3 out of 5 stars for me.  Was real surprised we

A) Never got any actual scenes in mission control (would have been nice to see Ed harris rather that just hear him)
B) never got to see the rest of the shuttle crew other than just in mention/their dead bodies later
C) never find out what happens to the good Dr?  Does she survive (heck where the blazes did she land?)

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: 27 March 2014, 10:02:19 »
Oh but I did! I watched it in blur ray on my HD projector. Is an 7' x 11' foot screen considered 'big'?  ;D

-Gunz
For most movies, yeah.  For Gravity that's still pretty small. :)  I still live in regret that I didn't have an IMAX theater in my area I could see it in.

A) Never got any actual scenes in mission control (would have been nice to see Ed harris rather that just hear him)
B) never got to see the rest of the shuttle crew other than just in mention/their dead bodies later
Showing them would have undercut the isolation which is at the core of the film.  If we start bringing other people into the movie, the viewer is no longer able to share in that isolation and it robs the film of a lot of its impact.

C) never find out what happens to the good Dr?  Does she survive (heck where the blazes did she land?)
She makes it back to Earth and solid ground alive.  Her character arc is coming to terms with her daughter's death and learning that there's still a reason to live.  At the end, we know she's found that and it's simply unnecessary to show anything else that happens.  Does it really matter where she landed?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #110 on: 27 March 2014, 15:23:01 »
Good point on the isolation, but in the intro/before the isolation part happened, it would have still been good to have had a scene or two in mission control.

As to the latter part.  DO we KNOW she is rescued?  She was stranded it seemed on an island, with no one around, and we heard on the radio transmission that the rescue was being aborted.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #111 on: 27 March 2014, 16:16:27 »
Watching Wing Commander.....a bad movie but had some good Space Battle shots.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 27 March 2014, 16:33:49 »
Last night I watched Cheech & Chong's Next Movie.  Haven't seen that one in years  O0

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #113 on: 27 March 2014, 17:22:35 »
I am on a samurai kick. Zatoichi the blind swordsman. And yojimbo right now. The zatoichi movies are just so well done. And yojimbo is a must have for any kurosawa lover.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 28 March 2014, 00:54:06 »
Nice rundown..

I watched 2 tonight.

A van damme flick, welcome to the jungle.  Lots of cuss words and general crastness to the film, but otherwise a decent 2.5 out of 5 stars.

And Saving Mr Banks.  LOVED IT..  My only gripe is it seems Emma Thompson seems to always play the same type of character..  Brooding and eccentric.

Klep

• Captain
« Reply #116 on: 28 March 2014, 09:40:12 »
Good point on the isolation, but in the intro/before the isolation part happened, it would have still been good to have had a scene or two in mission control.
I disagree. I think it's important to set up the isolation from the very beginning; to know that there really is no one else that can help.  What would it actually add to the film to have such a scene?

As to the latter part.  DO we KNOW she is rescued?  She was stranded it seemed on an island, with no one around, and we heard on the radio transmission that the rescue was being aborted.
It's thematically unimportant.  She's already survived the crucible of space, in which - the movie plainly tells us - life is impossible.  She's also come through the crucible of her grief and has an actual desire to survive.  In light of that, mere terrestrial isolation is peanuts.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 28 March 2014, 15:03:16 »
Maybe for you it was enough..  For me and my mother, it was lacking.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #118 on: 28 March 2014, 15:49:33 »
Having recently watched Pacific Rim and with the new Godzilla movie coming out this year I had a taste for some Kaiju action.  So, I slipped the Gamera Trilogy into my player (Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, and Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris).  Some pretty entertaining stuff, if you're into Kaiju movies.   ;)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #119 on: 29 March 2014, 02:51:01 »
"Hot Fuzz" - great cast and a great deal of fun.

Register