Register Register

Author Topic: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising  (Read 62376 times)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Re: Taking the Bull By the Horns: Taurus Rising
« Reply #450 on: 07 October 2018, 19:32:15 »
The New Van had been in Taurian hands for centuries, yes, they had been unable to repair its transit drives.

Question of my own, is it specified anywhere what 'mech Grover Shraplen drove?

I was not aware he was a MechWarrior, or rather, a career MechWarrior.  Planetary Governor and Protector, sure, but he never struck me as a "lead from the front" kind of guy.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #451 on: 08 October 2018, 02:43:56 »
Question of my own, is it specified anywhere what 'mech Grover Shraplen drove?

It never has been, no.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

Whenever you use terms like 'fiat' or 'stupid pills', you render your argument invalid

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way

Elmoth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #452 on: 08 October 2018, 03:40:19 »
For what I know I am not sure he was a MechWarrior at all.

DOC_Agren

• Lieutenant
« Reply #453 on: 21 October 2018, 20:42:29 »
Grover Shraplen I've always thought was a monday morning mechwarrior
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

wanderer25

• Corporal
« Reply #454 on: 23 November 2018, 00:25:21 »

The TC has a  4 yr conscription for all citizens. Either the military or some public service.  As a planetary noble/ruler  it unlikely he spent it in the infantry, or as a teacher.

They do have a Navy and  aerospace arm so those are viable options too. Being an ASF pilot or dropship captain does carry some prestige?

carlisimo

• Sergeant
« Reply #455 on: 31 December 2018, 06:09:58 »
New player, signing up.  I suspect reading the (intimidating quantity of) background material for this game will make the great houses seem more interesting, but from my initial reading I'd rather be here!  And a friend started explaining the concept of totem mechs, and of the ones he mentioned the Toro was by far the best-looking to me. 

Then I figured out this era thing, and the MUL.  Okay, I can live with shelving the Toros when I get the upcoming intro box and play 3025 battles.  My friends play Jihad era too, and might get into the current timeline.  Is it common to use the same minis across all three eras?  Just pick a paint scheme that doesn't belong to a regiment that disappeared?  (I liked the 2nd Taurian Lancers' blue, so that's a pity.  Might go with bronze as a flashy take on the Taurian Guards.)

Anyway, back to the Toro.  It looks like the -A-6 might as well not exist because it's Star League-era only, and the -A-1 looks slow and difficult to use.  Is it pointless to try to take one?  How would one use it, fire the large laser from afar while saving the SRMs for the late game?  But how do you make it to the late game?  And what kind of lance can make use of one or two?  (Okay, that last question probably belongs somewhere else in this forum.  It's one aspect of the game I still don't understand well at all.)

Thanks for the help!

AlphaMirage

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #456 on: 31 December 2018, 13:01:58 »
New player, signing up.  I suspect reading the (intimidating quantity of) background material for this game will make the great houses seem more interesting, but from my initial reading I'd rather be here!  And a friend started explaining the concept of totem mechs, and of the ones he mentioned the Toro was by far the best-looking to me. 

Then I figured out this era thing, and the MUL.  Okay, I can live with shelving the Toros when I get the upcoming intro box and play 3025 battles.  My friends play Jihad era too, and might get into the current timeline.  Is it common to use the same minis across all three eras?  Just pick a paint scheme that doesn't belong to a regiment that disappeared?  (I liked the 2nd Taurian Lancers' blue, so that's a pity.  Might go with bronze as a flashy take on the Taurian Guards.)

Anyway, back to the Toro.  It looks like the -A-6 might as well not exist because it's Star League-era only, and the -A-1 looks slow and difficult to use.  Is it pointless to try to take one?  How would one use it, fire the large laser from afar while saving the SRMs for the late game?  But how do you make it to the late game?  And what kind of lance can make use of one or two?  (Okay, that last question probably belongs somewhere else in this forum.  It's one aspect of the game I still don't understand well at all.)

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to Battletech where there are far too many questions than answers.  I would worry about the eras to much especially for this Mech it is entirely Succession Wars tech.  The minis are just tokens for the players, the record sheets are what's really important to the game so feel free.

Concerning the Toro the A6 is very similar to the Panther which has long been a Kurita standby with good reason.  In fact the Panther 9LAG version is almost the same mech, just substituting the LRM-5 for SRM-4 and dropping heat sinks for weapons, in fact a lance of 3 Toro A6s and 1 SRM Carrying Toro would give me pause in 3025.  The 1A version is inferior because of the primitive armor so use the A6 version.

Use the missiles frequently, the PPC/Missile combo is one of the best known in the game.  With two launchers and two ammo bins you have lots of options and can use special and regular ammo in the same turn if you want.  With two tons of ammo fire with impunity as long as you can take the heat to clear those bins and reduce the chance of a mech shattered ammo critical hit. I would load Smoke LRM rounds in one and use those to provide cover for allies.
If your group allows custom jobs a pair of SRM-4s with one ton of infernos and the other regular would be equally nasty especially in 3025 but even in the Jihad its a nice way to deal with Battle Armor and Vehicles. 

For LRMs get within 7 Hexes of the bad guy to get that sweet short range then shoot everything but alternate LRM-5s and PPCs within 18 to 7 hexes or you will overheat fast. 
SRMs give you a viable weapon at close range when the PPC has an accuracy penalty while utilizing the PPC's long range to lay down fire, alternate fire if you are within 9 hexes.  A pair of SRM-4s will hit with similar damage but dispersed while allowing you to cool down from movement heat just like the LRMs.

The Toro is potent fire support but has to be used wisely or it will heat up dramatically and slow down.  Slow light mechs are just targets that can't take the hit.  For best results always be moving to a better position and take cover when you need to cool down (LRMs can indirect fire which means you're not out of the fight while behind cover so use it).

Happy Hunting
« Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 13:34:54 by AlphaMirage »

carlisimo

• Sergeant
« Reply #457 on: 31 December 2018, 13:23:45 »
Maybe I’m missing something fundamental, but isn’t the -A6 completely extinct and unavailable? 

I don’t get why IWM would make a model of a variant that doesn’t exist in any era anyone actually plays.  The -A1 would look pretty similar though, right?  Better than the Talos, which you can’t do anything with.

AlphaMirage

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #458 on: 31 December 2018, 13:28:48 »
Maybe I’m missing something fundamental, but isn’t the -A6 completely extinct and unavailable? 

I don’t get why IWM would make a model of a variant that doesn’t exist in any era anyone actually plays.  The -A1 would look pretty similar though, right?  Better than the Talos, which you can’t do anything with.

Battletech is an amazingly plastic game, it has to be because a tabletop battle can take place in any of nearly 700 years and nearly 10 distinct eras.  The mini is just a token because this is not a what you see is what you have kind of game like Warhammer 40K. 
The Toro is Succession War tech that could be built from modified Panther or Hollander chassis relatively simply.  Just because its not made widely anymore doesn't mean it can't be resurrected, whether it is extinct is an entirely arbitrary decision by the TPTB,  Multiple designs got 'returned' to production during the Jihad but they were still new because they didn't have a history prior to when the Jihad books were released.

IWM is not affiliated with Catalyst so there is very little talk between the two organizations on what is available.  Use what you like as long as your fellow players are okay with that.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 13:40:44 by AlphaMirage »

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #459 on: 31 December 2018, 15:56:14 »
Also in this universe it is not unheard of to have a mech hundreds of years old fighting side by side a mech fresh off the assembly line.

Same could be said for an old paint job, just say it is the unit great great grand whoever served in.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

carlisimo

• Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: 31 December 2018, 16:04:12 »
Much appreciated. This will take some getting used to!

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #461 on: 01 January 2019, 22:05:49 »

Traditionally, "era" wasn't as important to players as the general tech level of the 'Mech. For most people, picking a year to play is primarily just a way of saying what tech/rules you want to have in play, as well as a convenient (and somewhat arbitrary) way to cut the number of 'Mech choices down to something manageable.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #462 on: 02 January 2019, 22:47:02 »
Eras and settings are mostly to give battles a theme - if you just want to put a lance or two of 'Mechs together and fight it out, just because you like the way those machines look, there's absolutely nothing stopping you - even if your choices are as varied as putting a KV-2, Centurion Sho't, AMX-40, and an M3 Stuart in the same tank platoon.  Like it's been said, it's not a WYSIWYG game, and as long as you have counters of some kind, record sheets, a map, and dice, you're buenolicious.

That said, a lot of folks like certain eras of the game for story reasons, and like to play out battles that might be in that era, from certain faction sides.  Sometimes it's fun to limit yourself to what might be available to one side, and have an opponent who does the same, so that you can fight your heroic defense against those damn dirty Davion invaders.  "How do I make this work with what I have" mindsets, basically.

But don't let any of that stop you from taking whatever you think is cool on the field, as long as your opponent is cool with it and as long as you're cool with what they bring.  Have fun, don't worry, and don't roll snake-eyes.

Register