Author Topic: 69th Virginia Expeditionary Force: Carbonis -(3041-2)- Book 1 - *COMPLETE*  (Read 14310 times)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
*alarmed at the thought of an overloaded Leopard*

Hamilton's Shadow Hawk was left on the field.  The Colonel returned from the factory site with his Battlemaster, Weddle's Griffin, Souther's Hatchetman, and the captured Longbow.  I felt like I was pushing the Leopard as it was, by adapting the small craft bay to house a pair of VTOLS and the infantry instead of the standard two Aerospace fighters! 

BradGB

• Corporal
Thats OK, but wenn Sigil repairs his Clint, they'll have 5 Mechs

Sigil

• Lieutenant
 ;D I'm working on that little issue next.  The Clint's gyro is notorious for being all but impossible to find...

Love any and all feedback, as I begin working on Book 2 : Alshain

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
Nice story and one person with lots od good luck but makes a very bad team player is sigianl. Someone jist screams punt him but seems to also be a very great tech.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
I haven't explored it too much, but Colonel Henley, Weddle, and Hamilton all went to Sanglamore with Sigil's older brother James.  The four of them were all posted to the 3rd Lyran Guard just before the War of '39 broke out.  James is critically wounded in an engagement with the 5th Sword of Light.  He swears then Leutnant Jason Hamilton to watch out for his brother Sigil during the upcoming war.  Ultimately, Henley gets Sigil transferred to the 3rd Lyran Guard and assigned to his lance.  And thats how it all begins...

Sigil was trained as 'Mech technician not a MechWarrior.  He never studied tactics or strategy.  By all rights he should have been an engineer, but his desire to strike back at the Kuritans for the death of his brother made him want to climb into the cockpit.  He actually considers himself a TechWarrior.

I might need to develop this further, because your right, without it, the Colonel would have kicked Sigil out of the unit long ago...  :o

« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 07:50:40 by Sigil »

Merwyn

• Sergeant
I decided to backtrack and come look at the first of this series of stories. Very good tale - you have an especially strong grasp of BattleTech technology and military practices, and the attack on the factory was an intense read. Do you have a background in the military and/or as an engineer, by any chance?

I do have one question. What happened to the Commando's MechWarrior, and his unit, after his surrender? Given their blatant treachery and guilt, I wouldn't be surprised if a tribunal chose to turn the unit's remaining assets over to the 69th, or assign a substantial fine if that unit was made up of more than that single lance, while the MechWarrior himself went to rot in jail. And if the unit is indeed bigger, then this could easily be the start of a long-running feud.

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Regarding Scotty McDaniels and his lancemates:

They could only be considered a mercenary unit in the loosest terms.  They were much more akin to one of the Stables found on Solaris VII.  Once Scotty was killed in The Games, the remaining members of his stable were left leaderless.  The only thing they had left holding them together was a desire for revenge on the man who killed their meal ticket.  After they failed at that, the few remaining survivors just become another group of warriors down on their luck looking for the next opportunity.

And, as you suggest, if this had taken place on Outreach, there would have certainly been legal repercussions, but since it happened on the Mercenary Star, the only justice is the justice you make for yourself :)

Sigil

• Lieutenant
Fixed the spacing to make the story more readable :)

Register