Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Zahn Heavy Transport  (Read 10042 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Zahn Heavy Transport
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2014, 09:56:31 »
I want to like the Zahn, but I keep coming back to the size of it.  8 tons for infantry is good..flamers can hold your opponent back, the MML can hurt things...but I keep coming back to the size.

What can this do that a Maxim can't?

The flamers and MMLs are for more than just damage.  MMLs tossing smoke, infernos or tear gas is something the Zahn does well.  The flamers may not seem like a big deal, but if you load coolant a friendly mech might find it nice to get a cool down.  The Zahn can take more of a beating, generate better if not equal to-hit penalties if you are using quirks, and not have that issue with skidding on open terrain.  I agree the old Maxim Infantry is somewhat similar, and in some ways better.  But the Zahn as a fighter is more durable and flexible.

Oh, and the Capellans don't make the Maxim or Maxim II.  They could buy it.  But, if they wanted to field them in numbers, especially under Stone's policies they would have to make something domestically.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2014, 13:03:00 »
The Capellans actually do make the Maxim - Hellespont owns a line on Sian that used to belong to the original manufacturer before they folded - but it's unclear whether or not they've ever built any of the advanced variants domestically, including the BA transport models.  Objectives: CapCon lists it as still being there in 3079, though, and considering the CCAF's emphasis on hover vehicles, I'm not too surprised to find the original Maxim on the 3145 RATs, either.

You're correct that they weren't building the Maxim II, however.  That was a Scarborough/Cyclops affair and technically even the Lyrans are importing them under the agreements that put Skye under Republic control.  If they're still just building the original Maxim, that's not a good transport solution for anything but the Fa Shih because of the fact there's only 3 tons for infantry.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2014, 14:41:00 »
The Capellans actually do make the Maxim - Hellespont owns a line on Sian that used to belong to the original manufacturer before they folded - but it's unclear whether or not they've ever built any of the advanced variants domestically, including the BA transport models.  Objectives: CapCon lists it as still being there in 3079, though, and considering the CCAF's emphasis on hover vehicles, I'm not too surprised to find the original Maxim on the 3145 RATs, either.

Yeah, I should have been more clear in that I was referring to the Maxim (I), which as far as I can gather is built by Scarborough.  You're in a better position than I to comment on that.  There's always the Shun.  That's also fairly close to the Maxim (I)'s capabilities.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 03 March 2014, 12:44:48 »
Yeah, I should have been more clear in that I was referring to the Maxim (I), which as far as I can gather is built by Scarborough.  You're in a better position than I to comment on that.  There's always the Shun.  That's also fairly close to the Maxim (I)'s capabilities.

Well, I would be if it wasn't for that pesky NDA I signed. :-X

In this case I haven't looked at our internal data, just the TROs, the MUL, Objectives CapCon, and FM3145, so I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment there.

Anyway, we're pretty far afield from the Zahn here.  Given their large infantry compartments, has anyone considered their use to move the BA for an augmented lance alongside a couple of Sheriffs or the various up-gunned Vedettes?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #34 on: 03 March 2014, 13:09:55 »
Well, I would be if it wasn't for that pesky NDA I signed. :-X

In this case I haven't looked at our internal data, just the TROs, the MUL, Objectives CapCon, and FM3145, so I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment there.

Anyway, we're pretty far afield from the Zahn here.  Given their large infantry compartments, has anyone considered their use to move the BA for an augmented lance alongside a couple of Sheriffs or the various up-gunned Vedettes?

Honestly? I had a SIMILAR thought, but it involved the Po II in place of the Vedettes... mostly because I dig the Po II.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 03 March 2014, 15:13:12 »
The Po II in place of Vedette's? Seriously Hellbie? I'd think the Po HV (Production) would make more sense.

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 03 March 2014, 15:35:05 »
The Po II in place of Vedette's? Seriously Hellbie? I'd think the Po HV (Production) would make more sense.
He probably doesn't want a vehicle that kills itself at random.  I'd rather take the Po LB-X, so that the group has some AA protection.  The Zahn transports the troops and carries special ammo (Smoke, inferno, whatever you need), and the LB-X Pos take care of enemy tanks, mechs, and aircraft.  Slap some Amazons in the Zahns, and you've got a rather versatile augmented lance. 

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #37 on: 03 March 2014, 15:41:42 »
There's something about the Amazon that isn't.... flashy enough for the Zahn.  I'm drawn to the Shen Long or Shen Yi.  If I was the Republic i'd pack a Kopis AI mkII and an Angerona.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

ScannerError

• Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 03 March 2014, 15:48:36 »
I'm drawn to the Shen Long or Shen Yi.
Might you have meant the Ying Long?  The Shen Yi is as heavy as the Zhan is, so you'd probably have some problems fitting one (much less a lance of them) inside the Zhan. 

Hm, with the BA vs BA weapon rules, the Ying Long would also fill a (possible) weak spot in the unit against enemy BA thanks to their Plasma Rifles.  Unless the Zhan is carrying infernos, anyway.  They would be more survivable the turn they disembark than the Amazons as well. 

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 03 March 2014, 17:34:38 »
Honestly? I had a SIMILAR thought, but it involved the Po II in place of the Vedettes... mostly because I dig the Po II.

The new Gauss variants aren't bad and the original has its uses in urban warfare but I was leaning toward the Sheriffs or Vedettes because they're able to keep up with the Zahns.  A Pixiu could, too, of course.

You're questioning someone's seriousness at the same time that you're proposing the substitution of a vehicle that has a marked tendency to blow up under normal operating conditions?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 03 March 2014, 17:38:36 »
He probably doesn't want a vehicle that kills itself at random.  I'd rather take the Po LB-X, so that the group has some AA protection.  The Zahn transports the troops and carries special ammo (Smoke, inferno, whatever you need), and the LB-X Pos take care of enemy tanks, mechs, and aircraft.  Slap some Amazons in the Zahns, and you've got a rather versatile augmented lance.
I was thinking cost, the Vedette and Po are cheap, but the Po II ...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 03 March 2014, 17:41:00 »
I have to admit I took it as a subtle jab to your infamous rolling skills.  "But Hellbie, if you're going to use a mook company, why not just blow them up yourself?"
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #42 on: 03 March 2014, 19:01:01 »
Bear with me here. I'm thinking (as I usually do) of urban combat here.

The Po II isn't a fast tank- let's accept that. (There's an article, I think, covering it, but I'm too lazy and cold right now to go digging for it). That's fine. Let's still use one as the centerpiece of our formation. We'll back with with a pair of Zahns loaded with whatever battle armor you like- I'm a Fa Shih fan (and it helps that they can ride externally on all four vehicles!), but the Shin Long is a good choice as well- or, if you buy into the Capellans in 3145 having access to more... exotic... types, see if you can justify the old Elementals or something like that. Salamanders would be my top choice, but Capellans with ridiculous fire-suits is getting out of hand.

So, we need a fourth unit. I'm going with an Ontos LGR because I love LGRs, and this gives me the ability to hit hard at long range with one of my two slower tanks, providing cover (along with the Zahn's LRMs) for the Po to advance into range to make that autocannon hurt. While the two slower tanks keep the enemy busy- pinned by LGR fire and forced to react or die by the Po's advance, the Zahns can use their speed to move quickly down a side street- dealing with enemy forces along the way with the MML and flamers- and get to a position where they can easily dump off the infantry. At that point, use them as support for the battle armor's advance- now the enemy has a few SRMs from the tanks, whatever mess the battle armor showed up with, and- oh yeah, the other two tanks are still advancing and making life hell. That Po's cannon opens big holes in armor- just the thing the lighter weapons the infantry and Zahns are firing will need to start scoring crits on even the heaviest of targets.

In open-field combat, this won't work as well, because the Po is too easily disabled. But in tight quarters, this would work pretty nicely. Zahns don't work great as lone units, and neither do Po IIs, but together they make a pretty nice team in this setting. I'm sure others will disagree on the Ontos, but feel free to insert another long-range oriented vehicle of your choice if you wish. That's just the one that comes to mind immediately since when I think 'long range fire support tank' I almost always think of the LGR Ontos. ;)

Is it perfect? No, this could be blunted by motive crits, good planning, bad luck, etc.- but it also could be pretty heinous against an enemy who doesn't react well to being flanked.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 03 March 2014, 19:14:45 »
The Po II is covered in the article on the Po. And you're forgetting the Po II's twin LRM-5's. And then there's the Dark Age Po II with the Gauss Rifle.

Of course all those Gauss Rifle aren't useful in urban combat, buildings tend to block lines of fire

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #44 on: 03 March 2014, 20:06:12 »
The Po II is covered in the article on the Po. And you're forgetting the Po II's twin LRM-5's. And then there's the Dark Age Po II with the Gauss Rifle.

Of course all those Gauss Rifle aren't useful in urban combat, buildings tend to block lines of fire

So you asked my opinion and then picked at a little detail in my long reply? Seriously? Yes, I'm aware there's a couple of LRM racks on the Po II, and as anyone here will attest a pair of LRM-5s isn't anything to worry about. They're support for the rest of the formation and little more- few units will run from LRM-5s. As for the Gauss, take a look at the urban maps we have, and you'll notice long, building-free zones called 'streets' that are handy for flinging long-range fire down. I hear some people drive cars on them in peacetime.

OK then. Moving right along.

One of the nice things to the Zahn from Dark Age was that the miniature is both pretty nicely detailed, and is about the right size for Battletech mapsheets- maybe a little long, but not too bad. Which means if you pick up a few off eBay or something like that, you can start using these bad boys right now- or repaint them, if you wish. (I admit, a flat-yellow scheme with a black stripe down each side and a small stop sign painted on one side would be pretty funny). I'm safely assuming we won't see this thing for a long time to come in IWM form, but I do look forward to it- I really like the look of this thing, utilitarian but tough.

+Crow T. Robot+

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #45 on: 03 March 2014, 20:11:38 »
One of the nice things to the Zahn from Dark Age was that the miniature is both pretty nicely detailed, and is about the right size for Battletech mapsheets- maybe a little long, but not too bad.

*perkies up*

Okay, you have my attention now. Any photos for size comparisons?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #46 on: 03 March 2014, 20:20:42 »
*perkies up*

Okay, you have my attention now. Any photos for size comparisons?

I don't have any of my DA stuff handy, sadly enough (it's all still packed from moving since I don't get to play much anymore)... I have a pair of merc Zahns in the bin (from the Ronin, pleasingly enough), but it would take me all night to find them. If someone else can snap a quick photo (looking at you, cavingjan!) it would be appreciated. I'll see if I can dig mine out tomorrow in daylight if no one beats me to it.

+Crow T. Robot+

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #47 on: 03 March 2014, 20:21:19 »
Oooo, yeah, I've been using the Po II a little recently against the bot and have enjoyed it.  Granted I have some cover in most of my maps to move around and not get pillboxed but i can see it in a team like you described Hellbie