Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Wulfen  (Read 17004 times)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Wulfen
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2014, 16:04:26 »
For the A and B, there's no reason not to use the stealth armor. Just because you can't stay bone cold and need to occasionally not fire for a turn is no reason not to hang back and keep the armor activated.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2014, 16:36:44 »
I disagree.

the impression I have is that the Stealth Armor isn't for while you're in combat, its for making a getaway, or getting into position. Perhaps the AC models you can fight with the stealth active, but the A and B, you don't want to sacrifice a single MP if you can help it, you need every little bit of your TMM that you can generate, and running the wulfen up into the red is going to prevent you from achieving that.

Plus, if you're playing with the advanced ECM Rules, Ghost Targets works better than Stealth Armor for the Wulfen. Sure, theres a chance you won't get the modifier, but there's no heat involved.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2014, 18:37:06 »
Now that the Clans are in on the Stealth Armor game, I fully expect to see "Improved Stealth Armor" at some point, that either generates less heat, gets more armor per ton, or doesn't require an integral ECM suite to function.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2014, 20:36:52 »
Ok, so I'm going to break out the ever so popular, slightly in a vacuum (there's a faint hiss of air seeping out the poorly sealed airlock window) numbers crunch.

Let's start with the A:
Max run heat - 6
Max weapon heat - 15
Activated stealth armor - 10
Maximum heat from all the above - 31
14 double heat sinks for 28 points of dissipation
So 3 points of left over heat after one round.

You can keep that up for four consecutive rounds topping off at a +12 heat. Just running with the the stealth on on the fifth round to return to heat neutral. During that time you've reduced your movement to a 8/12 and received a +1 modifier to fire. Your opponent's maximum to hit number (not including gunnery skill and their own movement penalty) are a consistent +10 at long range and +7 and medium range. Heck, you can get similar numbers from just walking for four turns and not firing on the fifth for NO heat penalties.

On to the B:
Max run heat - 6
Max weapon heat - 12
Activated stealth armor - 10
Maximum heat from all the above - 28
11 double heat sinks for 22 points of dissipation
So 6 points of left over heat after one round. 4 on a walk. I'll freely admit I'm avoiding the jump jets. XXL engines restrict jump jets to emergency situations.  ;D

Yep, the B is more problematic if you want to play a similar game as the the A. But if you don't mind flipping the supercharger and stealth armor switches you can pretty consistently keep the numbers high you can return to heat neutral every other turn. For example: walk, fire, stealth for some heat but not enough for penalties. (4 + 10 + 12 = 26 - 22 = 4 extra heat) Meanwhile you opponent has to deal with a maximum to hit number of +10 at long range and +7 at medium (again, minus gunnery skill and his own movement penalties). Carry over the heat the next turn, activate the supercharger, fire, stealth off  to stay heat neutral. (4 + 6 + 12 = 22 - 22 = 0). The opposing to hit this time around about be +9 and + 7.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 04 March 2014, 21:51:01 »
The ATM maybe have been nice, but the SRM and artemis V does allow for more accurate shots up close, which is useful if you run into any surprises. If you had the ATM, which would have only a single ton of ammo, a surprise up close is going to be inside your minimum range. The SRMs work as a short range deterrent to anything small you stumble across. If it's too big for the SRMs to help you handle, then you probably want to be running away.

Honestly, I would have preferred more utility over the SRMs and especially the Artemis module.  Cluster rounds from the 2-X are the only thing you should ever be fighting with so you have plenty of room for other toys.  I am thinking a Flamer/ER Flamer and Active Probe would be a good start for extra utility, then filling up the remaining space with either TAG, more Flamers (there is no such thing as too much fire after all), more 2-X ammo for longer harassment missions, an ERSL or two for defense, AMS for extra survivability, or a cargo bay for supporting allies in the field.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #35 on: 04 March 2014, 22:27:42 »
I think something will be interesting for someone using the Wulfen Prime is the one ton of ammo for the ATM.  The player using need to know what kind of combat there going get into if their going use machine with only 1 ammo type available.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #36 on: 04 March 2014, 23:37:59 »
Plus, if you're playing with the advanced ECM Rules, Ghost Targets works better than Stealth Armor for the Wulfen. Sure, theres a chance you won't get the modifier, but there's no heat involved.

Considering that when its active, a mech MUST devote the primary focus of its attention towards the Wulfen and its high to-hit numbers. Or, if it just declares that the Wulfen is the 'primary,' then they eat a hit penalty for everybody else.

Multi-Tracs aside, of course.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #37 on: 04 March 2014, 23:45:12 »
Well, also stealth armor doesn't let you attack anything but the Wulfen.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #38 on: 04 March 2014, 23:55:10 »
Ahha! We've always played it as "Well, you have to shoot the majority of your stuff at that guy."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 05 March 2014, 14:25:41 »
Well, also stealth armor doesn't let you attack anything but the Wulfen.

The Wulfen cannot be a secondary target.  However, you're free to declare your "secondary target" to be anything else if you're firing more than one weapon - you just eat a to-hit penalty to all shots at the secondary target.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #40 on: 05 March 2014, 15:06:38 »
Dang, you're right. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: Okay, I found the source of my error. I usually play MegaMek and for some reason it doesn't let you target secondary targets if you shoot at something with stealth armor. I can't find any errata on it either.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2014, 15:16:55 by Diplominator »

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #41 on: 05 March 2014, 16:44:16 »
The Wulfen cannot be a secondary target.  However, you're free to declare your "secondary target" to be anything else if you're firing more than one weapon - you just eat a to-hit penalty to all shots at the secondary target.

So the Wulfen is a team player. People who want to shoot at him and his buddies have to pay the cost of a +1 to-hit mod. Its like an anti-targeting computer!

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #42 on: 05 March 2014, 17:19:05 »
The big question for me about the Wulfen is the XXL engine worth it's cost and drawbacks?
Would a 9/14 XL design with small cockpit be a better alternative?

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #43 on: 05 March 2014, 17:55:51 »
The big question for me about the Wulfen is the XXL engine worth it's cost and drawbacks?

The Prime, at least, seems designed for extended deployments. I think a small cockpit would compromise that.

In purely mechanical terms, I think you're correct, but I think the XXL really cements the Wulfen as a super-advanced design, and I think the complicated heat choices it forces are more interesting. Not necessarily better, of course, but more interesting. Also, despite the stealth armor, to me it makes it feel very Clan. That whole "damn the cost, damn the heat, we are squeezing every last drop of performance out of this thing" attitude.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 05 March 2014, 18:54:46 »

I am usually against XXLEs on Clan 'Mechs because it does not save that much weight and means you loose the 'Mech if you loose a side torso, but I think it works here.  The speed gives it a wonderful edge and makes it nearly impossible to catch or hit which it would not have at 9/14 given the proliferation of 10/15 designs, and the Stealth Armor should give it enough survivability to not really mind the loss of direct durability from the engine.

That said, I do think we need more 9/14 designs in general so I would have preferred it there on those grounds, but the current design is probably better overall.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #45 on: 05 March 2014, 21:47:04 »
Not to disrupt . . . but IIRC the superchargers are now modular equipment?  Would that make it move enough more to be absolutely deadly as a modern backstabber?  Say APGR as weapons?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #46 on: 06 March 2014, 07:40:51 »
I think the jump to 10/15 is a big benefit on this 'Mech. The main reason is that it can get to 10 hexes, a +4 on a walk (albeit in a straight line only) which can save some heat and targeting penalties. Plus it shows that no expense was too much to make this design excel, which should be reflected in the pilot's abilities and performance. And it allows designs like the C, that can jump 10 (without using IJJ) getting up to a +5 defensive modifier.

Not to disrupt . . . but IIRC the superchargers are now modular equipment?  Would that make it move enough more to be absolutely deadly as a modern backstabber?  Say APGR as weapons?
Yep, Superchargers can be used as pod-mounted equipment on Omnis, the B and E variants use them.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 06 March 2014, 13:29:25 »
Used this one in a MM game recently and was very pleased by it.  The "stay at range and snipe" style fits with my play style perfectly. 
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 13 March 2014, 19:15:27 »

I've only run the Wulfen Primary and Echo thus far.

The Primary makes nice light trooper specializing in ranged engagement/harassment. And makes a nice support unit for recon elements.

The Echo is one hell of a pursuit unit and scout killer.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 18 March 2014, 16:24:44 »
Speaking from an Alpha Strike player's prospective...

The Wulfen-E is probably the best 'overall' variant as a BA taxi, with 3/3/1 and a +7 total TMM at medium range (and a +8 at long!). Its A/S is pretty low with only 3/1, but considering that the Fire Moth has only 1/1 and moves the same speed, you double the survival rate of your BA taxi by bringing it. Though it does cost 27 points versus the 13 for the Fire Moth-H, so that IS a problem...

I actually do like the Wulfen-C the most, however. With a 20"j and stealth armor it becomes near impossible to hit at medium range (+8 total??) and with 2/2 and OV1 it doesn't do too bad against its other scouts, and has ample backstab opportunities. A 4 damage backstab on a 20"j mover is not to be sneered at. 22 points is still pretty high, though...

So tell me, how available are these to the Ghost Bears? 'Cause I like the look of it, I like the stats of it, and my friends?

They'll hate it.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 18 March 2014, 19:13:23 »
They're on the Ghost Bear 3145 RAT, probably in the form of isorla and trade.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 22 March 2014, 17:10:49 »
Interestingly, omitting the Artemis V and using a Protomech AC/2, you can recreate the MWDA Wulfen config of 2 Class AC, SRM2, and NARC Launcher

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 22 March 2014, 22:42:44 »
You probably discovered a variant that'll appear sometimg.   O0
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 26 March 2014, 13:02:02 »
Interestingly, omitting the Artemis V and using a Protomech AC/2, you can recreate the MWDA Wulfen config of 2 Class AC, SRM2, and NARC Launcher

Oh god, the irony of a super-advanced Clan mixed tech 'mech using arguably some of the worst weapons is almost too good.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #54 on: 26 March 2014, 21:32:50 »
As I've said before, I keep thinking of the movie "Wolfen" when I see that name  Warewolves in deed.  Wulfen looking it up is actually a german village that used to be geo-political district in Germany.

It does beg to ask what exactly does the Wulfen mech get its name from?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register