Author Topic: Banshee-3S  (Read 5272 times)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
Banshee-3S
« on: 13 October 2014, 11:19:31 »
So I'd like to make the 3S version of the Banshee, but as you know, IWM stopped including the necessary parts a while ago. What do you guys recommend using to kitbash a 3S?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: Banshee-3S
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2014, 14:11:30 »
Left arm PPC from the Awesome 9Q: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2455
Medium lasers from a Locust 5M (cut down a little): http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2560
SRM6 from a Warhammer 9S: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6764  (You'll have to trade for or contact IWM directly if you want the individual part.)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2014, 16:20:38 »
Hey Cache,

Thanks for the help. I was already thinking of the Awesome9Q arm, so that confirms that. After some additional research I'm considering the SRM 6 launcher from the Warhammer 8D: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=16_44_34&products_id=2127
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2014, 16:41:10 »
Thanks for the help. I was already thinking of the Awesome9Q arm, so that confirms that. After some additional research I'm considering the SRM 6 launcher from the Warhammer 8D: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=16_44_34&products_id=2127
Remember that the 9D's SRM6 is long and narrow--6 tubes in a row, not three by two.  I think it would work well for the Banshee 5S, being mounted on the arm, but it will stand very tall on the right torso of the Banshee 3S.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2014, 03:08:43 »
I think the 9s launcher will be too big for the Banshee's shoulder. I'd suggest using a Loki SRM, standing on its side. That's the route I used ti kitbash a Griffin 5K (that's a LRM 10 actually but they use the same coffer to house the launcher)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2014, 19:03:34 »
I think the 9s launcher will be too big for the Banshee's shoulder. I'd suggest using a Loki SRM, standing on its side. That's the route I used ti kitbash a Griffin 5K (that's a LRM 10 actually but they use the same coffer to house the launcher)

That's a fantastic idea. I see they sell the SRM6 pods for the Thor A/C (which look like the ones for the Loki) separately so I don't have to buy a whole mech just to scavenge 1 part. If it's the same size as the SRM6 pods used by the Man-O-War, then it should be a good fit.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2014, 12:59:59 »
So I got my Banshee mini in the mail the other day and it turns out that IWM still adds the SRM pod and the right arm lasers. They are on the same sprue as the lower left arm. The SRM6 omni pod is way too big for the mech. The Awesome arm PPC will fit perfectly.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Bongfu

• Warrant Officer
  • Commander of the Crater Cats
    • North Texas Battletech
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2014, 23:03:25 »
My 5S. Not completely the same loadout, but I can give you some tips. I used cylindrical styrene (plasticard) for the PPCs. For the SRM pod, I used a Thunderhammer from one of my Space Marine bits and drilled some holes in it.

Here it is painted up

Hope this helps!
North Texas Battletech

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2014, 23:09:22 »
Nice mod there, Bongfu, but the PPCs go on the 5S's right torso I do believe.  ???
I like to see people do 5S variants. It's a good 'Mech.

Bongfu

• Warrant Officer
  • Commander of the Crater Cats
    • North Texas Battletech
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2014, 01:18:00 »
Nice mod there, Bongfu, but the PPCs go on the 5S's right torso I do believe.  ???
I like to see people do 5S variants. It's a good 'Mech.

Youre right. I realized that after those photos were taken. I forgot to take new pictures :P
North Texas Battletech

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2014, 17:46:10 »
Youre right. I realized that after those photos were taken. I forgot to take new pictures :P
No problem

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2014, 17:59:54 »
Left-handed pilot.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2014, 21:57:21 »
Left-handed pilot.

Ha, ha! Yeah right.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2014, 22:03:33 »
Left-handed pilot.

drunken dyslexic tech
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Garner

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2014, 14:00:26 »
I did a cludged -3S / -5S hybrid with a missile rack off the -4L/-9S warhammer (the vertical oriented one) and the RAC off the reseen Marauder (-9S/-5R model).

The missile rack needed clipping to get rid of the bit that would stand it up from the WHM's shoulder, and after filing a flat surface there I then spent a bit of time scoring some extra panel lines.

the RAC sticks out a bit from behind the Banshee, but on the whole I think it works pretty well.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2015, 15:53:25 »
The holidays were very busy for me and I finally got around to finishing my Banshee bash. I did use the PPC arm from the ASW-9Q and it turned out fantastic. Only thing left is to paint it which I will hopefully have done by the end of the month.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2015, 19:20:07 »
 very nice conversion.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2015, 19:36:38 »
The best part is that it was fairly simple to pull of. the 9Q arm comes as one piece so I just snipped the top of the arm off and did a little filing and the banshee arm fit nicely into an existing slot in the 9Q arm. For additional strength and support I clipped a piece of paperclip and super glued it into the void inside the arm.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

manticore72

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2015, 19:48:38 »
That is a good alternative. Nice work there, Baron.