Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 201804 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #270 on: 21 February 2015, 03:37:01 »
No, it's not just you. The rank of Mechwarrior isn't explicitly addressed at all in that passage.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #271 on: 21 February 2015, 04:49:24 »
Indeed. Maybe my horrible English is to blame for this misunderstanding. I wasn't asking for all the rank insignias of the warrior caste in general, but for the rank of warrior in particular. The Field Manual depicts all rank devices from point commander to khan, but omits the rank of warrior. The entry cited above does not describe the device either. But in the first few pages it is mentioned, that warriors display a daggerstar, insinuating that this may be the case if there's no clan-specific device. I just wanted to know, if this is the case for Ghost Bear warriors (rank, not caste members in general) or if there are other sources implementing otherwise.

Nope, the Crusader Clan and Warden Clan field manuals are the most recent publication to address that specific issue.  No other publication released since then has gone into such detail regarding rank insignia.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #272 on: 21 February 2015, 06:45:10 »
All MW have the rank of Point Commander: that is their particular rank insignia. The dagger star is an indication that they are a MW, Elemental, or Aerospace pilot depending I the coloring. Ranna Kerensky describes the various insignias in the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #273 on: 21 February 2015, 08:37:18 »
AFAIK, cadets who pass their trial of position (blooding) become full members of the warrior caste. Non-MechWarriors, like Elementals, may receive the rank of warrior if they haven't passed their ToP with more then one kill. If their clan does not use a specific rank insignia for this rank, their daggerstar (colored differently for each branch) serves as rank insignia.

MechWarriors retain a special role, since technically their only warriors (rank) but since they're the sole members of their point, they're de facto point commanders. Are you sure MechWarriors of Clan Ghost Bear are instantly promoted to point commander upon passing their ToP?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #274 on: 21 February 2015, 13:59:37 »
Are you sure MechWarriors of Clan Ghost Bear are instantly promoted to point commander upon passing their ToP?

They aren't instantly promoted to point commander.  Its simply the fact that they comprise an entire point that for all intents and purposes they are the point commander.  As stated in both FM:WC and FM:CC: "By the strictest definition, a MechWarrior is equal to a Point Command and to any individual Elemental or aerospace pilot."

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
« Reply #275 on: 22 February 2015, 08:37:34 »
Well, that's simply a repetition of what I posted before and no answer.

AFAIK, the rank of warrior is for all warrior caste members below the rank of point commander. Like an elemental or a pilot, who does not command his or her point. It is a contradiction to state that Mechwarriors equal both point commanders and individual elementals or ASF pilots. That would be like saying a soldier equals his fellow private and lieutenant in rank.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #276 on: 22 February 2015, 09:22:08 »
Well, that's simply a repetition of what I posted before and no answer.

AFAIK, the rank of warrior is for all warrior caste members below the rank of point commander. Like an elemental or a pilot, who does not command his or her point. It is a contradiction to state that Mechwarriors equal both point commanders and individual elementals or ASF pilots. That would be like saying a soldier equals his fellow private and lieutenant in rank.

Well it be corporal or sergeant not lieutenant.  What they are saying is that since the MechWarrior branch doesn't have a rank lower than sergeant, a MechWarrior's position and duties encompasses both and therefore is equivalent to the elemental point commander and the elements he/she commands.  It might be more clear if one said that the MechWarrior (point commander) is the Elemental point commander and his subordinate Elemental rolled into one.  While he may have the rank of point commander, his official command authority only extends to himself like an Elemental.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #277 on: 22 February 2015, 09:33:39 »
Hey there guys, I've got a question on whether or not the Bears actually fielded a "Gamma Galaxy" sometime in their past.  I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Bears used to field a Gamma Galaxy, which they used to take the Tokasha Mechworks from Clan Hell's Horses, but later disbanded after the the trial due to combat losses.  Did I just imagine this, or was there actually a source somewhere (if so please tell me the book) regarding the Tokasha Mechworks battle, but with a different Galaxy involved?
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #278 on: 22 February 2015, 16:43:14 »
Sorry but I don't recall ever seeing anything indicating the Ghost Bears ever fielded a Gamma Galaxy or that it participated during the fighting on Tokasha.  Considering how invaluable the Tokasha MechWorks was to the Hell's Horses I can't think of any reason why Kilbourne Jorgensson wouldn't deploy his premiere Galaxy.

I believe you may be confusing the Ghost Bears with the Hell's Horses' Gamma Galaxy.  Their Gamma Galaxy was formed in 3046 just before the Ghost Bear assault on Niles and, after the battle, found itself stripped of warriors to replace the losses suffered by Alpha Galaxy.  As the most junior frontline galaxy, Gamma was the first to be stripped of warriors whenever Alpha or Beta Galaxies suffered losses.

As part of their dealings with Clan Wolf, Vlad Ward gave the Hell's Horses some Inner Sphere worlds bordering the Ghost Bear OZ.  Gamma Galaxy was assigned to defend those worlds.  When the First Combine-Dominion War broke out, Vlad Ward convinced Khan Malavai Fletcher to invade the Ghost Bear Dominion while the Ghost Bears were focused on the Combine.  Unfortunately, the Ghost Bears and the Combine quickly negotiated a peace settlement and the returning Ghost Bears tore through the Hell's Horses' forces forcing the Hell's Horses to withdraw entirely from the Inner Sphere.  Gamma Galaxy was disbanded to fill losses suffered by Alpha and Beta Galaxies with the remainder assigned to form the core of the newly formed Kappa Galaxy.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #279 on: 22 February 2015, 18:31:47 »
I believe you may be confusing the Ghost Bears with the Hell's Horses' Gamma Galaxy.  Their Gamma Galaxy was formed in 3046 just before the Ghost Bear assault on Niles and, after the battle, found itself stripped of warriors to replace the losses suffered by Alpha Galaxy.  As the most junior frontline galaxy, Gamma was the first to be stripped of warriors whenever Alpha or Beta Galaxies suffered losses.

Thanks for that, I think that must have been what I read.   Do you remember which book was that in so I could reaquaint myself with the situation?  I just vaguely remember that the Bears and Horses used to fight Galaxy on Galaxy battles and the last one they fought was just before Operation Revival. 
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #280 on: 22 February 2015, 21:30:30 »
Thanks for that, I think that must have been what I read.   Do you remember which book was that in so I could reaquaint myself with the situation?  I just vaguely remember that the Bears and Horses used to fight Galaxy on Galaxy battles and the last one they fought was just before Operation Revival.

As far as I am aware FM: CC and FM:WC are the only books that provide any details on either of the two Ghost Bear-Hell's Horses battles on Tokasha and Niles (where galaxy sized forces met in combat).  HH Gamma Galaxy's pre-Inner Sphere details are also available.  FM:U provides details on Gamma Galaxy's Inner Sphere misadventures.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #281 on: 26 February 2015, 19:15:21 »
I would like to take a moment to mention that Friday, February 27, is in fact International Polar Bear Day according to my wall calendar.  I think you guys know what to do.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #282 on: 26 February 2015, 19:26:10 »
I'll volunteer my dropship to pick the Bears up if they want to celebrate Polar Bear Day in Great Lakes style.  The ice is not quite two feet thick, so it can be poked through easily with a small laser, I'm thinking.  Then swim time.  ;D

Only because some people around here are crazy enough to do that every year.  And I would love to sick the Ghost Bears on them, it would be lulzy.   
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #283 on: 27 February 2015, 02:53:52 »
I would like to take a moment to mention that Friday, February 27, is in fact International Polar Bear Day according to my wall calendar.  I think you guys know what to do.

Sure its not Polar Bears but still, bears.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #284 on: 27 February 2015, 09:28:19 »
Feb 27th Polar Bear day? Need to start marking my calendars!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #285 on: 27 February 2015, 19:46:53 »

Sure its not Polar Bears but still, bears.

This is even funnier if you imagine they're dancing to "WHAT IS LOVE?  BABY DON'T HURT ME!"
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #286 on: 27 February 2015, 20:25:09 »
Silly SharkFox, thats the ghostbear version of a rick roll  ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #287 on: 27 February 2015, 21:14:01 »
Silly SharkFox, thats the ghostbear version of a rick roll  ;)

You haven't truly rick rolled someone until you've done it via Microsoft Word.

Actually, my friends topped that when they did it via Christmas Carol, but that's another story.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #288 on: 28 February 2015, 00:13:38 »
You haven't truly rick rolled someone until you've done it via Microsoft Word.

Actually, my friends topped that when they did it via Christmas Carol, but that's another story.

You haven't rick rolled until you swarm someone with battle armor while singing "Never gonna give you up! never gonna let you go!"  ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #289 on: 28 February 2015, 01:45:30 »
Last year one of the local radio stations got Rick to let someone down.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #290 on: 28 February 2015, 05:50:08 »
This is even funnier if you imagine they're dancing to "WHAT IS LOVE?  BABY DON'T HURT ME!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sASfLQm9iCc

here we go, the real version :p

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #291 on: 28 February 2015, 09:32:32 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sASfLQm9iCc

here we go, the real version :p

You know what?  I like that idea better.  LEAVE IT IN!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #292 on: 28 February 2015, 11:59:08 »
You haven't rick rolled until you swarm someone with battle armor while singing "Never gonna give you up! never gonna let you go!"  ;D

Damn you, Rick Astley!   ;)

I know picture eighties pop tunes as the main music for Ghost Bear Elemental battlefield mayhem.  And it's %@$#^! classic! 

Here's some Ghost Bear Billy Ocean:  Oohhh (ooohh!) I'm gonna touch you (gonna touch you!) And do the things that lovers do! 
Ooohh! (Oooohh!) I'm gonna hold ya (gonna hold ya!) I've gotta get it through to you...

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #293 on: 02 March 2015, 09:06:07 »
Don't tell me I disturbed the Ghost Bears into silence!  ;D

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #294 on: 02 March 2015, 20:39:54 »
bahhh we have no response to those coments, which is why there are no coments
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #295 on: 02 March 2015, 20:42:04 »

It's not silence, it's hibernation ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #296 on: 02 March 2015, 20:48:17 »
Must be.  If you poke the bear and it just snarls, consider it a lucky day.   ;D

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #297 on: 02 March 2015, 21:02:32 »
 O:-) We just want to lull you into a false sense of security...so we may attack you with musical numbers  ;D Think Macross 7  >:D

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #298 on: 03 March 2015, 12:06:12 »
O:-) We just want to lull you into a false sense of security...so we may attack you with musical numbers  ;D Think Macross 7  >:D

Noooooooooooooo!  Disturbed once had lyrics about using music as a weapon, but I don't think that's how they meant it.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #299 on: 04 March 2015, 07:46:01 »
If the Bears had anything playing whilst attacking someone it would either be Sabaton or ManoWar.  BIG 80s hair metal!  (This of course includes the music from the animated Transformers movie naturally).