Author Topic: craters and recesses  (Read 1505 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
craters and recesses
« on: 17 November 2014, 16:36:25 »
My efforts to date, IOW the last 3 weeks, have been printing map sheets, gluing them to 1 inch foam board, cutting out the hexes with raised land forms, lather, rinse, repeat for greater elevations. 

Now I'm thinking about holes.  Anyone have any advice for putting a smattering of 1, 2, or 3 hex craters or divots into the landscape?  Like 'mech scale foxholes.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: craters and recesses
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2014, 16:44:12 »
Use a sharp craft knife to cut out the hex or hexes. Once the piece is loose, slice off the bottom third for a level 1 depression, insert piece back in hole, glue into place. For level 2, remove 2/3rds. If you have to do level 3, just leave the hole and glue a piece of cardstock underneath. See example below.

Cheers, and post pics when done!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2014, 19:39:43 »
Now is a good time to look for fake snow products in the craft stores. These are creamy textured acrylic type polymer emulsions (paint) that you can sculpt into craters very easily. I'd do it on some wax-paper type stuff so you can peel them off when they're dried. Then some quick sloppy coats of paint and drybrushing (black and browns) can bring them to 3D life.

Dak

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2014, 10:07:19 »
i was thinking more along the lines of what worktroll suggested.  While I was hoping that he had a better suggestion that simply go freehand, that will work.  Divots, dugouts and holes in the landscape are what I'm thinking about.  That and I haven't worked up the gumption to go hexless.

BTW, worktroll, how did you get that hex pattern on your play surface?  And is that just a 3D-ified version of the standard battletech map?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2014, 17:02:33 »
2) Yes, all my hex maps are directly off standard maps. If I ever go back, I want to do lunar craters & canyon maps ...

1) See this thread here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/terrain/tips-for-a-newb-for-making-cheap-hills-and-similar-42783/
Covers the process.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"