Author Topic: 3145 Homeclan Update  (Read 12691 times)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: 3145 Homeclan Update
« Reply #30 on: 15 January 2015, 08:19:10 »
I just felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Home Clan fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced

Nah, too good a future plot point.  See if you wait until everyone forgets about the homeclans then have them come back it's more impactful.  You don't lose too many fans because almost every players favorite faction isn't in the homeworlds.  The vast majority of fans have a stake in the main Inner Sphere storyline enough to stay around.

I'm one of the few players who is homeworlds first and Inner Sphere a distant second.  I can't really get behind any current faction on screen.  I like the Bear Dominion some but almost entirely because of their mech mix.  If they were gone tomorrow I wouldn't be upset.  I still stick around because I like the universe and, truth be told, all the clans.  I'll smile if the ILCLAN book really does involve an actual clan taking over Terra, regardless of which cuddly creature is on the flag.

To the patient go the spoils

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 15 January 2015, 10:47:57 »
Based on an internal company document I haven't seen, it'll be another 7 calendar years before the Home Clans return to the story line.

If Catalyst hasn't made an official announcement or published it, it's a rumor and nothing more.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #32 on: 15 January 2015, 11:08:43 »
If Catalyst hasn't made an official announcement or published it, it's a rumor and nothing more.

He said "haven't seen"

He was being <dun dun dun> snarky!

I'm sure this comes as not a shock to absolutely everyone on this forum.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #33 on: 15 January 2015, 12:49:50 »
He said "haven't seen"

He was being <dun dun dun> snarky!

I'm sure this comes as not a shock to absolutely everyone on this forum.

I've been wanting to settle this for a while - see my sig?  Its probably going to be the last book I buy, and definitely the last PAPER book.  I bought a second printing of TM, TW, and TO, and I'm getting sick of errata.  Its going to be easier to buy pdf and keep the errata updated.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #34 on: 15 January 2015, 13:07:21 »
Based on an internal company document I haven't seen, it'll be another 7 calendar years before the Home Clans return to the story line.
Could be worse if if these were Jupiter planetary years  ;)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #35 on: 15 January 2015, 13:36:52 »
I've been wanting to settle this for a while - see my sig?  Its probably going to be the last book I buy, and definitely the last PAPER book.  I bought a second printing of TM, TW, and TO, and I'm getting sick of errata.  Its going to be easier to buy pdf and keep the errata updated.

Well they certainly seem to want to keep you around... they've delayed the damn thing long enough  ;D
(Oh calm down, no Ghostbear thread nuke needed)

But as it related to the homeworlds; I doubt we see them in Ilclan.   As much as I would love the AFD joke outline to be true and the homeworlds to roll through and burn down the Inner Sphere, it won't happen.  It'll probably be IS clans fighting over Terra and the fall of the Republic.

I'll buy it and it'll be cool for sure, but I think the homeworlds are on ice still.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 15 January 2015, 16:23:52 »
As much as I would love the AFD joke outline to be true and the homeworlds to roll through and burn down the Inner Sphere, it won't happen.  It'll probably be IS clans fighting over Terra and the fall of the Republic.

I find your lack of faith (in GB AFD products) to be disturbing...

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #37 on: 15 January 2015, 17:15:01 »
Could be worse if if these were Jupiter planetary years  ;)

Would Saturns "year" make ya smile.  >:D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #38 on: 15 January 2015, 19:20:33 »
Would Saturns "year" make ya smile.  >:D

I say Plutonian Years or nothing!  GO BIG OR GO HOME!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

St.George

• Lieutenant
  • there's nowhere to run
« Reply #39 on: 16 January 2015, 04:55:18 »

We'll it is Friday,,,short work day,,,early pre-game!  ;D
"Smoke em' if ya got em' boys,,,We're goin' in"

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 16 January 2015, 08:46:32 »
Saturn shmaturn!

I'm going to buy it, whenever it comes out.  GB's Wars of Reading was that good.
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 16 January 2015, 16:57:47 »
I find your lack of faith (in GB AFD products) to be disturbing...

Eh, it's also a question of which AFD product you wanna put stock in. Free Taiw... St Ives seemed to point to a lupine ilclan.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #42 on: 16 January 2015, 22:27:04 »
Saturn shmaturn!

I'm going to buy it, whenever it comes out.  GB's Wars of Reading was that good.

My brother (who, if he's reading this thread, should join the damn forum already) got WoR for Christmas, and then got some older sourcebooks.

He feels that WoR has ruined him for all other Battletech sourcebooks.

(Actually, he likes the Catalyst stuff in general in comparison to the FASA stuff, which was the bulk of our collection.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 17 January 2015, 04:37:17 »

Sweet, plenty of time to collect and paint a Stone Lions force.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 17 January 2015, 05:03:25 »
But as it related to the homeworlds; I doubt we see them in Ilclan.   As much as I would love the AFD joke outline to be true and the homeworlds to roll through and burn down the Inner Sphere, it won't happen.  It'll probably be IS clans fighting over Terra and the fall of the Republic.

I fear you're right on this one. On the other hand the AFD outline for Wars of Reaving obviously changed a hundred details, but most of the contents listed actually happened in some form (e.g. 'gutting the Raven' 'spearing the Shark' 'Clan Ice Scorpion' 'The Spirit Fades' 'Tanite Union' 'Wall of Stone' = Clan Stone Lion). So I'm hopeful that we will see Kerensky's Purest in some fashion :)

My brother (who, if he's reading this thread, should join the damn forum already) got WoR for Christmas, and then got some older sourcebooks.

He feels that WoR has ruined him for all other Battletech sourcebooks.

(Actually, he likes the Catalyst stuff in general in comparison to the FASA stuff, which was the bulk of our collection.)

Oddly enough I have that same reaction with a lot of FASA material. A lot of stuff in the old material either makes little sense or is too obviously copied from real-life - New Capetown (don't get me started, this is a whole thread in itself); DC = Shogunate Japan;  LC, FS, maybe FWL = modern Western society (i.e. 'us'). Catalyst writing comes across as better thought-out and if they're tied to the old material then at least they're doing a decent job of polishing it up.

All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #45 on: 17 January 2015, 07:31:14 »
Yeah well Wizkids ripped a few from History too

The entire Alaric/Wolf Empire story is ripped directly from the real life Alaric/Visigoth story.  Obviously it'll end differently for the BT Alaric though.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #46 on: 17 January 2015, 10:13:15 »

The entire Alaric/Wolf Empire story is ripped directly from the real life Alaric/Visigoth story.  Obviously it'll end differently for the BT Alaric though.

Yeah, and then they come down on you like a ton of bricks in the forums when you point out the similirities to actual historical (or even relatively current) events in their plotlines ::).
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #47 on: 17 January 2015, 10:15:53 »

You never know.  Alaric may yet die and have an entire river diverted so he could be buried in the river's bed and then have the river released on its original course to cover him, all so that no one can easily disturb his resting place.  Then all of those who buried him are liquidated, and then the liquidators all get misted too, just to make double sure.  If they are lucky, the ones who misted the liquidators might not get hosed.  ;)

As for the IlClan, who knows.  If the Home Clans don't show up in it, or are a small part, that's actually a damned good thing.  Because it will mean that we have very good chances of one day getting an entire sourcebook devoted to the coreward periphery and the Home Clans, since the whole entire region is off-limits to authors for a reason, and not just because "nothing to see here, move along". 

I could be wrong, but I seriously hope not! 
« Last Edit: 17 January 2015, 10:17:57 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #48 on: 17 January 2015, 11:57:42 »
I'm inclined to think the Home Clans have been reduced to a number that does not allow much flexibility for story writing. I wonder if the writers did not write themselves into a corner they do not know how to get out of. So, you put the whole thing on hold until you figure it out.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 17 January 2015, 12:56:47 »
Well, they could always do the same thing I did in my AU - one Clan spawns four others, then twenty years later, each spawns four again - of course, the Adders forcibly Absorb the others (except maybe the Lions) and remain IlClan.

Its questionable, but I could see Ben Rome doing it to reintroduce a whole new bunch of deep-space nutballs eager to attack the IS, with the kind of pragmatism and ruthlessness that might actually give them a chance of winning.

Of course, I came up with the idea first!  NYAH NYAH!   ;D

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #50 on: 17 January 2015, 13:07:40 »
Manei Domini and omeclans merge to Pure Manic Clans  ;)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #51 on: 17 January 2015, 13:10:02 »
I'm thinking all of that is covered in the "fans do not see the whole picture, only those frames that they have been shown in the order that they have been revealed" type comment that I have witnessed a certain author say from time to time on these Chatterweb pages.  It usually happens when we type things about how there's nothing that can be done except what seems obvious from our strategically limited perspective as readers of a document compiled by the Shark Fox Watch to distribute to the leaders of the other Clans. 
« Last Edit: 17 January 2015, 13:12:00 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 17 January 2015, 16:51:46 »
I'm inclined to think the Home Clans have been reduced to a number that does not allow much flexibility for story writing. I wonder if the writers did not write themselves into a corner they do not know how to get out of. So, you put the whole thing on hold until you figure it out.

The writers are like Cylons; they have a plan (not self aware AI robots)

Manei Domini and (h)omeclans merge to Pure Manic Clans  ;)

Nah, there is a MD vs HW Clan war coming; why else would TPTB create Improved Magnetic Pulse Ammunition which do double damage on all infantry troops with cybernetic implants of any sort. [/Fletch conspiracy theory]

Akira213

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 19 January 2015, 12:39:28 »
ClanMechs with melee weapons, Warships droping on planets, whole planets whiped out just to make a point, a whole clan used more or less as mercenaries for the lyrans ... there's not much "Clan" left in the IS, is there? :/
It's all so ... tainted !!

Meanwhile are the other three Homeworld Clans sick and tired of getting babysitted, stand together and start to push the Adders. The Adders don't like being pushed, and after the dust settles there only the <insert your favourite Homeworld Clan here> left. But Clan Warriors don't like to have peace, so splinter groups start to emerge and fight each other. Now we just have to figure out how many groups ...

I got it !

TWENTY !!!
"What should I want in heaven when all my best friends burn in hell..."

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 19 January 2015, 16:04:52 »
What has happened before will happen again?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #55 on: 19 January 2015, 17:56:21 »
Sure, why not?  Strana Mechty has 700 founding Bloodname legacies left, give or take.

Probably take, because ortillery should NEVER be used for police actions/fly swatting.  Many Jaguars died to bring us that information, IIRC.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 19 January 2015, 18:06:41 »
So we might get Clan Iron Wombat afterall.  Would 20 new clans cause insomnia for Mr Ghostbear; "How am I going to kill off this lot now?"

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #57 on: 19 January 2015, 18:21:59 »
So we might get Clan Iron Wombat afterall.  Would 20 new clans cause insomnia for Mr Ghostbear; "How am I going to kill off this lot now?"

Probably do the same thing to them he did to Clan Wack-a-Mole.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #58 on: 19 January 2015, 18:36:06 »
Clan Wack-a-Mole.

uhmmm... Which Clan was that again?  ^-^

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #59 on: 20 January 2015, 00:18:09 »
uhmmm... Which Clan was that again?  ^-^

All of them?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register