Author Topic: VotW: Gulltoppr  (Read 39604 times)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: VotW: Gulltoppr
« Reply #30 on: 25 January 2015, 00:06:48 »
Oh god, that thing. A star-level Mammoth tank is the single scariest thing I have ever fielded in C&C3. And at the time where I had one, I had TWO.

If an AI player could crap their pants, I'm 80% sure the normal-AI Noddist commander would have.

Pretty sure good ol' Mammies is faster, though.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #31 on: 25 January 2015, 03:45:34 »
The Gulltoppr has been the absolute bane of my Falcon formations whenever I've tested it. I tend to rely on staying mobile and trying to quickly degrade a few key enemy units, but this thing just does not care about getting shot. I mean, sure, you can end up making it actually immobile, but you can't make it stop shooting you without devoting a serious beating to it, which lets all its friends off the hook. In addition, since it's staying still and often firing artillery cannons or Artemis V LRMs, it stands a good chance of hitting even very jumpy stuff. Have you seen what an LTC does to a Gyrfalcon? Crispy chicken nuggets with a generous helping of powdered glass.

Plus, between the +2 bonus and the ability to say, "yes, hmm, I think my Gulltoppr is gonna stay where it is, your turn to move," it can really screw up your initiative.

Whoever's running the Rhodes Project for the RAF could probably learn a thing or two.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 25 January 2015, 04:49:48 »
Yeah, looks like either kill it till it's dead or throw infantry at it and try and use the TO rules for 'Taking control of a unit/Swarming'.  Given their size it;s a shame BA can't use boarding type actions.  Would make designers think more about point defences.

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #33 on: 25 January 2015, 05:33:12 »
Yeah, looks like either kill it till it's dead or throw infantry at it and try and use the TO rules for 'Taking control of a unit/Swarming'.  Given their size it;s a shame BA can't use boarding type actions.  Would make designers think more about point defences.

Never though I would see the possibility of getting to run a pirate scenario in BT but now I can easily imagine an Errol Flynn swashbuckling scene of one super heavy pulling up alongside another super heavy and crews swinging across to have sword fights on the upper decks of these beasts.

Eventually, we will have enough big toys to make someone saying 'Hey, I want to field a Rattler' no longer cause people to blanch and walk away from the table.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #34 on: 25 January 2015, 05:46:31 »
I've got to ask what does the the Gullcopper's name actually mean?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 25 January 2015, 06:22:02 »
The Norse god heimdle's horses name.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #36 on: 25 January 2015, 06:35:20 »
So...they named a thing that can be outrun by a vigerious glacier after a horse :s  Could have been worse could have called it Cheetah or something...
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #37 on: 25 January 2015, 08:03:10 »
As noted it is all about combined arms. You don't need point defense when Fenrir IIs can keep up.

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 25 January 2015, 10:21:03 »
Teppo, Destrier, now the Gulltoppr. All these superheavies make me jealous.

Since overweight and hardly practical superweapons seem to be a trademark of cornered and doomed regimes, can´t we Regulans get a modern Soarece?

Well like that Flea, I would think a few would be scattered around somewhere...
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 25 January 2015, 10:28:49 »
Thank you for the write up, Gulltoppr.   I didn't notice article till now. So i'm grateful for you coming in writing up.

Its darn same about errant, not everyone knows about them.  I'm sure there people using the Gulltoppr without knowing about it.

It too bad, this thing falls below Destrier now without the hardened armor in my opinion.  I wish it could be reworked to have a non-omni variant that remedies the situation.  I know a Armored Motive Systems would take too much room fit i would think into our Lyran Gulltoppr, maybe newer armor classes would help.   Reading up on them, FM3145's anti-penetrative ablation armor or  Ballistic-Reinforced Armor (baby Hardened armor) can be mounted on a Omni.  Just not pod mounted. That would solve the problem of the lost of use of Hardened Armor.  You just got import it from Draconis Combine....
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #40 on: 25 January 2015, 10:43:50 »
Teppo, Destrier, now the Gulltoppr. All these superheavies make me jealous.

Since overweight and hardly practical superweapons seem to be a trademark of cornered and doomed regimes, can´t we Regulans get a modern Soarece?

The Nova Cats must have missed the memo. Pity.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 25 January 2015, 13:32:08 »

Have you ever seen what a Long Tom shell does to infantry?  This thing has all the point defense it needs.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #42 on: 25 January 2015, 13:51:21 »
I've used the A in Alpha Strike.  It took on an Ares and support assaults without much of an issue.  Of course it's tossing like 9 damage at medium and long range and has/had a ton of armor to chew through.  I wonder if the MUL card has been updated?  Anyway, yeah, the Gulltoppr creates a nice nasty no-go zone between it's firepower and the firepower of it's attendants :)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 25 January 2015, 17:06:12 »
Thank you for the write up, Gulltoppr.   I didn't notice article till now. So i'm grateful for you coming in writing up.

Its darn same about errant, not everyone knows about them.  I'm sure there people using the Gulltoppr without knowing about it.

It too bad, this thing falls below Destrier now without the hardened armor in my opinion.  I wish it could be reworked to have a non-omni variant that remedies the situation.  I know a Armored Motive Systems would take too much room fit i would think into our Lyran Gulltoppr, maybe newer armor classes would help.   Reading up on them, FM3145's anti-penetrative ablation armor or  Ballistic-Reinforced Armor (baby Hardened armor) can be mounted on a Omni.  Just not pod mounted. That would solve the problem of the lost of use of Hardened Armor.  You just got import it from Draconis Combine....

Gulltoppr is pretty much designed to end up immobile. Notice the double turrets? Single turrets are much more efficient because of armour costs, but doubles offer an edge in absorbing crits.
It is interesting to consider whether the Gulltoppr or Destrier is superior because they take two different design philosophies. The Destrier is all about artillery and range, where the Gulltoppr is a defensive hard point (and could be all about artillery if you really wanted. Personally I discounted the assault role because I believe separating the assault elements across several units works better eg. Some Arrow IV Demolishers and a couple of Ajax. While the slow speed may work in a grinding operations, it equally may not when some fast mover crits your motive systems out. At least in a defensive role the enemy has to come to you. Escape then becomes the issue. But I see Gulltopprs as mobile bunkers and all fortifications have that problem.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2015, 01:15:02 »
A fine tank. No, this ones not mine. We had to let some other designers create some superheavies as well.

I'm just going to toss out that the Destrier has been around long enough for the Davion's best allies to get a few of them.

"Sir, we broke through the Destrier assault line and found their HQ unit."

"That's excellent soldier, why do you sound like you're about to cry."

"Their HQ unit is a Gulltopper..."
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #45 on: 26 January 2015, 08:32:50 »
Yeah this almost feels like it was meant to work with it's Davion cousin,  they compliment each other well.  Surprised there's not one with a couple iHGR's on it though.

To the patient go the spoils

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 26 January 2015, 08:37:10 »
The Nova Cats must have missed the memo. Pity.
Eh, I think it was more of they just didn't see it coming. Or that they still exist via the Spirit Cats, maybe?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #47 on: 26 January 2015, 14:20:54 »
Gulltoppr is pretty much designed to end up immobile. Notice the double turrets? Single turrets are much more efficient because of armour costs, but doubles offer an edge in absorbing crits.
It is interesting to consider whether the Gulltoppr or Destrier is superior because they take two different design philosophies. The Destrier is all about artillery and range, where the Gulltoppr is a defensive hard point (and could be all about artillery if you really wanted. Personally I discounted the assault role because I believe separating the assault elements across several units works better eg. Some Arrow IV Demolishers and a couple of Ajax. While the slow speed may work in a grinding operations, it equally may not when some fast mover crits your motive systems out. At least in a defensive role the enemy has to come to you. Escape then becomes the issue. But I see Gulltopprs as mobile bunkers and all fortifications have that problem.
So the Gulltoppr is an Omnicapable superheavy Schildkröte? For once I feel sorry for Jade Falcon troops.

Eh, I think it was more of they just didn't see it coming.
Really? Given how slowly it moves, I find that hard to believe. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #48 on: 26 January 2015, 14:22:47 »
Lol . . . A Gull as a C3 company master . . . . lances of Gurties and Turtles surrounding it, a definite no-go zone.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 26 January 2015, 14:26:48 »
That area's just asking for orbital bombardment, WoR-style.

Or saturated Long Tom bombardment, that works too.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 26 January 2015, 14:54:28 »
Even after the errata, that's still a shit load of armor to go through.  136 points on the front?  ******.  That's the kind of armor that can actually stand a Davy Crockett detonating 30 meters away, and then trundle off to eat another nuke.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #51 on: 26 January 2015, 15:49:58 »
That area's just asking for orbital bombardment, WoR-style.

Or saturated Long Tom bombardment, that works too.
Maybe that's why that WarShip crashed...
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #52 on: 26 January 2015, 16:33:02 »
Yeah this almost feels like it was meant to work with it's Davion cousin,  they compliment each other well.  Surprised there's not one with a couple iHGR's on it though.
I would have to double check the rules for super heavies, but I believe iHGRs can't be turret mounted. Something of a problem on a tank so slow.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #53 on: 26 January 2015, 18:23:07 »
I would have to double check the rules for super heavies, but I believe iHGRs can't be turret mounted. Something of a problem on a tank so slow.
It has the pod space, just put one facing in every direction...
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 26 January 2015, 20:24:12 »
GB_G, you just gave me the most evil idea. I'm going to now ruin a friendship with what you just described.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 26 January 2015, 21:09:13 »
Interesting vehicle.

And is that errata'd armor measly standard armor or at least HFF?

Also, this thing inspired me to tinker a bit. For anyone interested or willing to share his thoughts how this thing could be improved:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/combat-vehicles/improving-the-gulltoppr/

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #56 on: 26 January 2015, 23:05:23 »
IIRC even if errataed to standard all it loses are the -1 to crit roll bonus hardened gives, since the same weight of hardened and standard gives you exactly the same protection.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 26 January 2015, 23:17:51 »
A fine tank. No, this ones not mine. We had to let some other designers create some superheavies as well.

I'm just going to toss out that the Destrier has been around long enough for the Davion's best allies to get a few of them.

"Sir, we broke through the Destrier assault line and found their HQ unit."

"That's excellent soldier, why do you sound like you're about to cry."

"Their HQ unit is a Gulltopper..."

I would say that is justification for breaking out the nukes, but...

Even after the errata, that's still a shit load of armor to go through.  136 points on the front?  ******.  That's the kind of armor that can actually stand a Davy Crockett detonating 30 meters away, and then trundle off to eat another nuke.

...Yeah, that is not going to work either.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #58 on: 26 January 2015, 23:26:24 »

honestly, as the amount of armor and guns you're looking at with this thing, i'm more inclined to throw engineers at it- if i can find a way to put up some bridges or make the ground under it stop holding it up (the ground is a much softer target all in all) i can just  cut the blasted thing off from retreat, keep a few units on hand to poke it if it tries to move, and wait for the crew to surrender while my force moves around it.

i mean if the oversized tank wants to play at being a fortress, it can get treated like a fortress. you don't swarm a castle with pages, after all.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #59 on: 27 January 2015, 06:01:58 »
IIRC even if errataed to standard all it loses are the -1 to crit roll bonus hardened gives, since the same weight of hardened and standard gives you exactly the same protection.

-2. And that is actually rather huge.