Poll

What Do You Do?

All 12+ mechs in my company use my main / parade color scheme
93 (85.3%)
I like to mix it up by Lance with each lance having a different specialty and paint scheme
6 (5.5%)
I like to mix it up by making each individual unit different paint scheme as long as they fly my unit crest I'm good.
3 (2.8%)
What was the question again?
7 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: Unit Colors: What Do You Hardcore Mini Collector/Players Do With A Company?  (Read 23598 times)

Charbok

• Sergeant
When I was younger, I'd do each individually, with the occasional repeat camo scheme.  Sometimes I'd get a little froggy and do a whole lance at a clip.  Since coming back from my hiatus of a decade, I'm a little more ambitious, and I've actually started doing the same scheme across many mechs, and searching out parade colors from some of my favorite units.  I've got the makings of a battalion of Fifth Sword of Light built around Sorenson's Sabres, both the original unit from the scenario pack and the new one from Sword and Dragon.  I'm also doing up a unit of Davion Mechs (only a company so far, but I wasn't planning on doing more than that for the SoL initially) in 7th Crucis Lancers parade schemes.

I've also found myself stripping some of the older models in my collection, some cause I painted them fugly, some cause I want to build a couple units that have more unseens than I've got without paint (like the Black Widow Company).  I'd like to think I'll stop at a battalion for some of these, but I have some fear I won't.  #P

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Theres always that urge to paint just one more mech up in parade colors, I originaly wanted to only do a company of Lancers and ended up with a Battalion. Plus tanks if I ever get around to painting them.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
I've had the opportunity recently to do a comparison test of SIMPLE GREEN and PINE SOL.
result?
PINE SOL wins handily.
I was VERY disappointed by the results I got with SIMPLE GREEN.

So I can't recommend using SIMPLE GREEN: it just doesn't do the job the way PINE SOL can.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Callista

• Corporal
  • Hurling your bodies into the void...
On one hand, I like having a fair number of units painted in the same scheme for the sake of interchangeable composition of a force, but at the same time, it's sometimes a bit draining to do 12+ 'Mechs all similarly.  That said, 12-36 'Mechs all painted the same looks pretty awesome, and if you get a formula down, it's not quite as bad.  Never use a custom mixed color for a base coat, though. x_x

Of course, most units all use appropriate camo during battle, but that'd be terribly boring to do for all the minis.  If you're playing in public, those parade schemes look a lot nicer.

Register