Author Topic: What's your go to unit for Auto cannons  (Read 5412 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
What's your go to unit for Auto cannons
« on: 26 August 2015, 23:56:01 »
OK so we have beaten the missiles to death..  Now onto ballistics!

For mechs what is your go to unit for Auto-cannons

Which is it for vehicles..

For me, my love of ACs came with the original (and still best) Atlas, with its AC-20, but i always preferred the Twin AC-20 carrying King Crab.
Never found one for vehicles as they were rare for our group to use..
« Last Edit: 27 August 2015, 16:19:19 by garhkal »
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: What's your go to unit for Auto cannons
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2015, 23:58:04 »
Autocannons are too heavy and bulky for me to want to take them with multiples.  Instead, I prefer 'Mechs built around a big gun (or two) that have an array of supporting secondary weapons to take advantage of big holes.

I also have an unreasonable love for the Blade.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2015, 00:04:21 »
Urbanmech UM-R60
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2015, 00:13:40 »
Right there with ya', Scotty.  Genrally i prefer 10s and 20s, and always LB-X if i can get them.  The first mechs i think of when i hear 'autocannon' are the Hunchback, Blitzing, Barghest, and Jagermech.

Since i started playing Alpha Strike i have actually developed some respect for the Jagermech... they tend to run real cheap (with good reason) but their A/C special allows for mid-range precision ammo, which is a major help for taking out pesky speed demons.
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2015, 01:18:15 »
As folks have said they tend to be too big and bulky for a 'go to' really.  Unless you go silly and then have a mech with clusters of AC-2/5's in any flavour but then they are still far too light in terms of damage vs their weight.

For me i'd say something like the Centurion, its got an AC, its got some LRM's and lasers, its not bad.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

FredrikR

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2015, 01:25:04 »
Mauler of course, always the Mauler!
Teee he he. Just kidding. That crazy big ol' Mauler, eh?   :D

I have always favoured the "big UAC backed up by plinking" found in some designs. As a predominantly clanner guy, this means things like the Stormcrow B (UAC/20 and 6xERML) or Night Gyr A (UAC/20, 2xStreak-6, 2xMPL and an LPL just for fun).

Not a huge fan of the smaller /2 and /5 ACs. But as a Falcon those are all over our standard designs, so I guess the Summoner Prime, Kit Fox Prime, Night Gyr Prime, Turkina Prime, Jupiter, etc counts to some extent (unfortunately!)... 
Star Commander Jared, 2nd Falcon Jaegers, Clan Jade Falcon
"We are the light at the end of your sorry little tunnel."

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2015, 01:30:59 »
Any of several Jaegermechs. Centurion with the RAC. Hunchback, particularly the jumping lyran LBX one. Nightstar.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2015, 01:33:30 »
Jagermech

Partisan AC/5 variant
Demolisher
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2015, 02:05:18 »
Autocannons are too heavy and bulky for me to want to take them with multiples.  Instead, I prefer 'Mechs built around a big gun (or two) that have an array of supporting secondary weapons to take advantage of big holes.

I also have an unreasonable love for the Blade.

I can't get enough of the Blade --- I am just frustrated that my group has all but forbidden me to use them, anymore.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2015, 02:12:32 »
Saladins. Saladins. Did I forget to mention Saladins?

As mentioned in the SRM thread, I'm a HUGE fan of the pairing of Saladins and Pegasus (SRMs) into Marik Long Platoons, which combine both the can-opening potential and the ripsaw of massed SRM fire.

For the big-bore platforms, I get a lot of mileage out of Zhukovs and Demolishers as well. I do like many BattleMechs with autocannons, like the Hunchback, AS7-RS Atlas, Highlander and King Crab, but in those cases, apart from the King Crab, I'm bringing those bad boys for the "full package", not just the autocannons.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2015, 02:33:07 »
Hunchbacks forever.  They make great little gorillas.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2015, 02:38:47 »
I like the Jagermech 7-F for the RACs, and as much as I dislike the Falcons the Gyrfalcon with the UAC/2s supporting the ERLLs are nice enough.

Love the Saladins- the Gladiator Hovertank is nice too- wish it had gone back into production when the Marians started producing their own autocannons, LBX version would be good.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2015, 02:59:49 »
The Rifleman RFL-3N and Wolverine WVR-6N were some of the overall most
effective early AC packing mechs .
Mostly because they don't appear dangerous enough to warrant serious
attention .

Never had good luck with the Centurion . Kaboom !
Several variants of the Hunchback are great in the right conditions
but that big gun wins them the primary target award .

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2015, 03:00:08 »
Devastator DVS-1D and the Pillager PLG-1N followed by the King Crab... I'm sorry, what about the Annihilator? ;)

The Centurion has always been solid, the Hunchback is a staple though the Legionnaire does the same job with the RAC.

Clan, almost any omni will work but Cygnus just does it so well.

Vehicles:
The Demolisher tank is the one tank no mech wants to see turning a corner, the Behemoth works as well.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2015, 03:23:38 »
Always been fond of the Executioner B, Gargoyle C, and the various flavors of AC toting Cataphracts. Used a King Crab once, but a double gyro hit early on kept me from actually seeing what it could do.

But the auto-cannon boat that really gets me is the Hammerhands 5D. Twin AC-10s loaded with precision, improved jump jets, low heat, and a C3 spotter. Never used a Hammerhands myself, but it's been rough being on the receiving side.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2015, 03:59:52 »
Hunchbacks forever.  They make great little gorillas.
Hunchback IIC personally, that second UAC/20 makes it a real nightmare and the JJs add much needed mobility, while range isn't too bad on the standard postage stamp

ijewett

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 27 August 2015, 04:24:08 »
For me, my love of ACs came with the original (and still best) Atlas, with its AC-10, but i always preferred the Twin AC-20 carrying King Crab.
Never found one for vehicles as they were rare for our group to use..

Err... the Original Atlas had an AC 20.

As for my go to units: Demolisher for surprise hidden 20's. In 3025 I always liked the stock Centurion.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 27 August 2015, 04:28:22 »
Being a Marian a Centurion is a must.
The Demolisher hiding in the bushes is also a must. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Erkki

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 27 August 2015, 05:00:37 »
LB-X ACs are great/useful, the rest of them... Just meh. Can live without.

Hercules: ERPPC + LB-10X heavy concept done better than Catapracht
Firestarter Omni FS9-OG: LB-5X and medium lasers
Patriot PKM-2D - LB-20X and HPPC + ERMLs, brutal at range of 4 even if it has overheating issues
Orion ON-1MA: the XLE Orions are all super fragile but this one works at close range with its LB-10X and lots of SRMs
Perseus P1-D: LB-10X and missiles can work too, similar-ish to ON-1MA but better armored
Marauder MAD-5M: LB-10X + pulses, the jumping brawler Marauder, powerful unit with very low BV cost of 1400-ish only
                MAD-9S: twin ERPPC + LB-10X and almost enough dissipation to keep using them, ECM, Beagle Probe, why cant this be an FWLM unit oh whyyyy....  :)

Also, Davions have the fine, fast 5/8 Rifleman RFL-6X with twin LB-10X and lasers.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #19 on: 27 August 2015, 05:01:05 »
That Ajax configuration with the triple RAC/5 is always nice.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 August 2015, 06:28:47 »
Centurions, Enforcers, Jagermechs, Shadowhawks, Vedettes, Pos, Demolishers, and Saladins.  Only if they are standard or LBX ACs, though.  Ultras just aren't worth it.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Maniac Actual

• Lieutenant
    • checkout my fantasy and SF writing
« Reply #21 on: 27 August 2015, 06:54:23 »
I hafta say I've always been partial to AC's.  Damage of a big energy gun w/o the heat.... yep/   O0

THe mech I've had the most luck with is the Cauldron Born D.  Took that baby to the semi's in the Blood Right tourney a few years back (back when you could still chose your variant if you got a high pick).  Double UAC-10's....  Nice.

For campaign play, I like cheap V's with AC's and precision ammo.   Nothing irritates players more than a lance of Po's for the BV of one good assault mech pinging them with 10 pt. hits a range 10-15 with consistency..... :)
AS may be as much a representation of the Battletech universe as the original tabletop game is, but if you tell someone "I'm playing Battletech" chances are, if they know what that is, they're going to take you to mean the original tabletop game. - Steve Restless

niall78

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 27 August 2015, 07:45:17 »
RFL-8D with its dual RAC-5s is a personal favourite.

ACs really shine with speciality ammo. Precision is gold against fast mechs and helps level the playing field when engaging Clan pilots. Flak is great to have against fliers and LBX brings a lot of potential crits. I love using the RFL-6X as a crit finder against badly weakened units. 

Fast hovers using large bore ultra, LBX or standard with precision loaded are also extremely good units. When I see them fielded against my own forces I break into a cold sweat.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 27 August 2015, 09:07:03 »
SM1 because yes

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #24 on: 27 August 2015, 09:21:11 »
I have to admit, when I think AC the first mech that comes to mind is the humble Hunchback HBK-4G.  Its not too effective on an open board, but give it some terrain to cut down LOS and it becomes a deadly ambush unit.  Likewise, the Demolisher Heavy Tank is the first AC vee that I think of.  Its a great choice in urban warfare when it can attack at close range. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #25 on: 27 August 2015, 10:07:50 »
The answer to this question depends on the era.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #26 on: 27 August 2015, 10:12:11 »
I'm very fond of the Templar with 3 RAC-2s and the entire Blitzkreig/Hollander/Legionnaire line. However, given a choice, I usually pick something with a standard or light AC with two or more tons of ammo as I really like using special munitions for ACs; notably Armor Piercing and the one that makes it easier to hit fast moving lights--though for some reason I can't remember the name off the top of my head... serves me right for posting this while at work.  ;)
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #27 on: 27 August 2015, 10:22:29 »
I'm very fond of the Templar with 3 RAC-2s and the entire Blitzkreig/Hollander/Legionnaire line. However, given a choice, I usually pick something with a standard or light AC with two or more tons of ammo as I really like using special munitions for ACs; notably Armor Piercing and the one that makes it easier to hit fast moving lights--though for some reason I can't remember the name off the top of my head... serves me right for posting this while at work.  ;)

Precision ammo. Although that one also makes it easier to hit fast moving mediums, so maybe you meant something else?  ;)
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2015, 10:35:07 »
Nope. Precision Ammo was exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks!  O0
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2015, 10:36:27 »
I'm just going to start answering "ON-series Orion" for all of these threads.  It has everything!  LRMs, SRMs, autocannon, lasers. . . later versions even have Gauss rifles.  About the only thing it doesn't carry is a PPC.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Register