Register Register

Author Topic: 'Mech Engineer Quest  (Read 13184 times)

Daryk

• Major
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: 'Mech Engineer Quest
« Reply #210 on: 02 January 2016, 11:32:30 »
I like that VEPR, and think the automatic or combat shotguns from AToW page 268 might fill that role.  And page 265 has a range of machine pistols (though most are listed as SMGs).  In both cases, if the weapon has a recoil modifier, it's worth paying the extra 10% for recoil compensation (p. 286, there are some other nifty accessories there too).

As for armor, I think we should look at a concealed flak vest and combat boots for day to day wear, and a ballistic plate vest and advanced combat helmet for those days we know it's going to be bad.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
  • Gotta do what a urbie gotta do!
« Reply #211 on: 02 January 2016, 21:26:19 »
I like option two at this point... if the boss was involved some how, it's better to know as soon as possible what that means for the project.

I agrre
"History is written by the victors, the defeated live it"

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #212 on: 05 January 2016, 21:22:40 »
*makes notes about arming the nest batch of assassins with Inferno SRMs, sniper rifles and vibrokatanas.  'If you pull a knife they pull a gun' sort of deal...*  Anyways, not satisfied with this, but it will get the job done.
---

The car pulls in the back entrance to the industrial park, the service entrance that the trucks use, because the front entrance is still blocked by the wreckage of a van and the two tanks that were moved off their plinths to block the entrance.  One of them has it's turret pointed directly at the gate.  A third tank-assault weight-rolls past as you exit the car, moving at a fast jog as it cruises by with it's dual-autocannon and lasers turret tracking to allow it to slip between warehouses.  A ton of police cars fill the lot-a lot of workers went home early apparently, for there to be so many, and there's even an industrial mech with a metropolitan police paintjob standing by at the edge of what looks like a crime scene.  Some factory workers have opened a window and set up a machine gun nest in the corner of their building, and R&D's smaller laser prototypes have been set up in mobile cradles on the lawn, long cables dragging behind them.  Everyone's on edge, but also getting bored-even the actual scrap metal of the demolished van stopped burning some time ago.  Getting in means your ID gets a longer than normal scrutiny, but you're cleared through and two of the soldiers camped out on the lawn take the opportunity to get you inside and down a secret passage through the basement.  Where you find your co-workers hanging out at the top of the staircase and tunnel that leads to the bunker.

The fact that there's a bunker on the property shouldn't surprise you really-though the fact that you need to go down three flights of stairs to get to it is probably a bit much-still, no Mech can stomp it's way through six meters of reinforced concrete, clay, gravel and sand.  What is surprising is the story of what happened here.  Apparently, just after you were attacked, a van full of gunmen with a bomb inside broke through the gate and drove around, shooting up the buildings and trying to pen everyone up inside, and get the bomb into position.  Since there were armed guards and soldiers in all the buildings, that was a bit tricky-they had the advantage of surprise, but were outnumbered from the start.  The Chief designer used one of the underground tunnels to get into the factory and borrow the latest T-25 H model that was almost ready for delivery, apparently crewing it with production line staff.  Loading the ammo had proven impossible for anything but the machine gun-but when the doors of the factory slid open and that monster drove off the line with lasers firing, the fact that it's autocannon and missile launchers had been so much dead weight didn't really comfort the gunmen much.  There had been about five minutes of black comedy as the tank caught two of them by surprise and then chased down the van and the others in slow motion, but three of them had gotten inside a building and a stalemate had ensued until the army had a helicopter fly in and drop a platoon of jump infantry on the roof.

The boss was still driving around in the tank, probably because he liked it more than because the place needed the extra protection.  He'd parked it around lunchtime, but only to wrestle several ammo cassettes in through the loading hatches, so he had missiles and AC shells to fire now. 

There have been other attacks on other companies and schools.  Nothing really bad at the other rival company, they'd run into a pop up barrier and detonated their bomb 30 meters from the target, breaking a lot of glass but not much else.  The university on the other hand, had seen one team go into an undergraduate engineering lecture and just...unload on the whole class.  There, the dead and wounded were in the hundreds.  That's clearly bothering some of the new hires-Doctor Sandoval is worried about her former co-workers and you have to poke her to get her to notice you and give you her...very impressive list of accomplishments.  She went to NAIS, for starters, and getting a foreign national into that school is almost unheard of.  She's in her early 40s and has a doctorate in radiation based alterations to material structure, and is rather withdrawn and reserved, but apparently has dipped her hands in nearly every single metallurgical project in the past decade.

Code: [Select]
[ ]Doctor Sandoval needs some comforting after this disaster.
[ ] Stop your boss before he goes mad with tank-given power.
[ ] Other?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Daryk

• Major
« Reply #213 on: 05 January 2016, 22:04:25 »
Comforting?  Minako doesn't strike me as the comforting kind. What she can do is distract Doctor Sandoval with more work related questions, like her opinion of the endo-steel project's prospects...

I kind of like the idea of the boss having some tank-given power for a little while.  It'll give him some additional authority around here (not that he needs it), and definite credit with the military techs.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #214 on: 05 January 2016, 23:57:33 »
I disagree.  I think Minako would be quite comforting and sympathetic.  Get Sandoval to talk about pretty much anything the woman wants to, be a kind shoulder to cry on if she needs it.  If talking about metallurgy seems to be the way to go, once she gets going, so be it.  But if all she wants to do is cry and vent, that's ok too.  In private of course, maybe a side office.  Once all this dies down, Snadoval wont want to have been seen to have broken down in front of her subordinates and co-workers.  For pride's sake, if nothing else.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #215 on: 09 September 2016, 13:34:47 »
(Okay, so I burned out on this pretty hard around the turn of the year, but if you guys are still willing, I'll stoke up the boilers once again and restart it.  It may be tricky to do-I completely blanked on how to write the next segment, so I may have to just skip to the next decision point and move on towards the meat of the quest-actually designing a Mech.  We'll go from the inside out-internal structure first, then actuators, then myomer and engine, you get the idea.  I'm diverging from the Tech manual in one fairly major way though-armor goes on last, because you can't skin the Mech until you have all the internals located and roughtly bolted down.)
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Daryk

• Major
« Reply #216 on: 09 September 2016, 18:52:18 »
I'm game... My schedule hasn't changed much.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #217 on: 12 September 2016, 20:32:43 »
I'm up for it.

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
  • Gotta do what a urbie gotta do!
« Reply #218 on: 05 October 2016, 08:44:24 »
Hey guys o/ Sure I m up for whatever you are up for just glad to be back.
"History is written by the victors, the defeated live it"

Marlin

• Sergeant
« Reply #219 on: 10 October 2016, 15:52:26 »
I just stumbled over this. I think it is fun. :) Would be cool.

What are the prerequisites?  O:-)
Get to know the ultimate combined arms experience for the Battletech universe! See link below.

http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/board,105.0.html

XaosGorilla

• Sergeant
« Reply #220 on: 12 October 2016, 23:20:52 »
Seeing the design process play out is rather interesting.  I too would have liked to have noticed this sooner.  I will however continue to follow this with interest.

Register