Author Topic: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing  (Read 169013 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing
« Reply #120 on: 01 July 2016, 13:51:03 »
But... i had no responsibilities back then.  Surely things were objectively better then and the passage of time, not my transformation into an adult is to blame.

Life was so much better when I had no freedom!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #121 on: 01 July 2016, 14:47:33 »
its not quite the same...the fights over tangled controllers are fun
I don't recall getting controllers tangled. At least not while playing the games. But packing up the things... Less tangling up than with desktop PC O0

also resetting the console race from sofa to consoles are fun too
Didn't do that. And it is your own fault for getting PC without reset button.

and life skill is not to get tangled in cables...
Can learn that with desktop PC and all the damn cables connected to it. My 2 speakers alone have 3 cables!

or my fave parents shutting tv off or switching chanells when you are almost at the end...
Attach digibox or other kind of TV receiver to your PC, make sure it comes with remote controller, and you can annoy your own kid like that.

so emulation expirience is rather deluted...
If you say so...

Also:
for example i recently tried playing NES super mario bros with my youngling while back we did not enjoy it because controllers did not pause other player in order to kill them...
I did not know I was supposed to enjoy of that >:(
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #122 on: 01 July 2016, 17:46:21 »
Also:I did not know I was supposed to enjoy of that >:(

Remember when your awful older sibling would toss you down pits in Battletoads?

I don't, because I was the awful older brother. HA HA HA, glorious!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #123 on: 01 July 2016, 18:56:48 »
Remember getting to level 5 in Battletoads?  No, you don't, because nobody ever made it to level 5.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #124 on: 01 July 2016, 19:06:06 »
Remember getting to level 5 in Battletoads?  No, you don't, because nobody ever made it to level 5.

Battletoads has more than one level!?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 01 July 2016, 19:44:24 »
I got Pharah's Thunderbird skin and I don't care about anything else anymore. :D

Same.  It came out of the lootbox I got for getting to 25, so the very first comp match I did was as the Thunderbird.  We lost, but we won in my heart.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #126 on: 02 July 2016, 09:29:09 »
Jokes, right? Because if you miss that, you may need some real help.
you are right i need help lol but this is one experience i would love to give my kids so they can appriciate what us old foggies had to go through to play a game and as result enjoy it more through suffering

btw i do miss some of the stuff but cables are not one thing in particular i miss
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #127 on: 02 July 2016, 12:50:48 »
I dont really have much times for games, so right now its just Tales From The Borderlands.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #128 on: 02 July 2016, 14:44:42 »
I did ^-^
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #129 on: 02 July 2016, 15:19:52 »
I did ^-^

Look, I know this is the internet and all, but let's not lie to each other. Especially not about something so blatant, okay?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #130 on: 02 July 2016, 15:42:40 »
Look, I know this is the internet and all, but let's not lie to each other. Especially not about something so blatant, okay?
Why do you think I'm lying? ???

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #131 on: 02 July 2016, 16:05:08 »
Why do you think I'm lying? ???

Because that game is hard as *****. ;D (And I'm joking; I know it's possible.)

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #132 on: 05 July 2016, 08:34:29 »
Because that game is hard as *****. ;D (And I'm joking; I know it's possible.)
game is not hard ...its called old school...
something kids with todays games never learned or enjoyed learning
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #133 on: 05 July 2016, 09:33:35 »

Do we need to keep your cane at hand so you can yell at them to get off your lawn, too?  8)

Please avoid blanket statements such as that; as a rule, they are inherently false.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #134 on: 05 July 2016, 09:37:24 »
I have to agree with Aokarasu: you're missing target here. Even today are made games that could have been technically made back in the 1990's or even earlier and they're just as hard as Battletoads, Sonic, Megaman, Final Fantasy, and the rest.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #135 on: 05 July 2016, 09:57:30 »
Good news: Got the self-refurbished Super Nintendo hooked up on Friday afternoon to do some retro gaming for the long weekend.

Bad news: Promptly wiped out all weekend by eye infection, making sensitivity to light- and thus TV screens- extremely painful.

MUST. KILL. EVERYTHING...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #136 on: 05 July 2016, 11:15:59 »
enjoyed learning

For Battletoads?  ???
*dies laughing*
Oh dice no it wasn't, it was a lesson of poor game programming.
Player 1 and Player 2 mechanics where you can troll each other just incite you to strangle your friends with a cord.
Lucky them if you happen to only have wireless controllers.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of "old school" games that are fun.
That title is just a travesty at times.
This is coming from someone who didn't mind it too.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #137 on: 05 July 2016, 11:27:37 »
Battletoads really was intended as a torture device.

Side note: When a young Hellbie used to rent games, he tried Battletoads once, found it to be just too pain to enjoy, and decided to instead look into the other game that caught his eye- "Mechwarrior". He fell in love with the game to the point that the store owner eventually gave him the rental copy, saying it belonged more to him anyway than to the store by that point. It was the first introduction for our young hero to the Battletech universe. (Side note: My hatred of House Davion came from their refusing my pay demands, which were always enormous because I was an idiot and didn't understand economics. Davion won't pay me a kajillion C-bills? Screw these guys, anyone else hiring?)

Also, beware buying old SNES games. Some are relatively painless, some are hard to find in good shape (it wasn't until a couple of years ago I finally got my hands on Choplifter III again, forgot how fun that one could be)... and some are just stunning in their mark-up value (hi Super Metroid!)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #138 on: 05 July 2016, 11:47:00 »
Battletoads really was intended as a torture device.

Side note: When a young Hellbie used to rent games, he tried Battletoads once, found it to be just too pain to enjoy, and decided to instead look into the other game that caught his eye- "Mechwarrior". He fell in love with the game to the point that the store owner eventually gave him the rental copy, saying it belonged more to him anyway than to the store by that point. It was the first introduction for our young hero to the Battletech universe. (Side note: My hatred of House Davion came from their refusing my pay demands, which were always enormous because I was an idiot and didn't understand economics. Davion won't pay me a kajillion C-bills? Screw these guys, anyone else hiring?)

Also, beware buying old SNES games. Some are relatively painless, some are hard to find in good shape (it wasn't until a couple of years ago I finally got my hands on Choplifter III again, forgot how fun that one could be)... and some are just stunning in their mark-up value (hi Super Metroid!)
exactly ...it was a torture device with no cheese at the end lol
this is why kids gave up early and the ones who kept going can wear a badge of hard core gamer...
and o i deal with trespassers not with stick but with something more frightening...wow character deletion...yes i am that evil VBEG

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #139 on: 05 July 2016, 11:48:15 »
...I like to think one can wear a 'hardcore gamer' badge and still not play a game they didn't enjoy.

(My badge of pride is the save file showing Omega Weapon's death in Final Fantasy VIII)

+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #140 on: 05 July 2016, 12:44:05 »
I'm perfectly okay with not being a "hardcore gamer" if it means not having to play bad games. Now go read this piece about Dan Daglow on how much damage catering to challenge junkies did to the video game industry.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #141 on: 05 July 2016, 13:03:11 »
this is why kids gave up early and the ones who kept going can wear a badge of hard core gamer...
The idea of "hard core" gamer is comical at best.
But if you enjoyed that game, good for you.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #142 on: 05 July 2016, 15:18:03 »
...I like to think one can wear a 'hardcore gamer' badge and still not play a game they didn't enjoy.

(My badge of pride is the save file showing Omega Weapon's death in Final Fantasy VIII)

you too?i wear that one with pride also unfortunetly i had to play it again on ps3 since my ps 1 hadbeen dead/stolen and burried almost 20 years. i just had my youngling start to play ffVIII and she is complaining about the fmv in it...but loves the story so far .....
her major gripe? repetetion of farming.

i wonder how she will take to MDK ?

btw had any one else ended up cursing the tmnt for nes? especially the disarm the bomb levels underwater?
« Last Edit: 05 July 2016, 15:24:57 by elf25s »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #143 on: 05 July 2016, 15:44:22 »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES was a lousy game.  TNMT 2 The Arcade Game was much better.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #144 on: 05 July 2016, 15:51:16 »
*Gets flashbacks to the PC port of that game*
No, no please, the overworld music is now repeating in my head again.
Donatello just died in a level, I have to restart. No I won't use Mikey or Ralph.
*Burns down his PC*

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #145 on: 05 July 2016, 16:28:40 »
*Gets flashbacks to the PC port of that game*
No, no please, the overworld music is now repeating in my head again.
Donatello just died in a level, I have to restart. No I won't use Mikey or Ralph.
*Burns down his PC*
glad to know i was not the only one ready to sacrifice my nes after playing that particular gem

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #146 on: 05 July 2016, 17:15:18 »
If the NES version was just as bad as the PC port, then yes I do understand your pain.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #147 on: 05 July 2016, 18:26:17 »
If the NES version was just as bad as the PC port, then yes I do understand your pain.
lmao it seems as kids we were gluttons for pain were we not?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #148 on: 05 July 2016, 19:20:20 »
We didn't know any better, there weren't any alternatives.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #149 on: 05 July 2016, 19:40:43 »
So I never got into Pokemon. I now have a 3DS (with a fair number of virtual console games including said Super Metroid) and decided to try Alpha Sapphire.

It's an interesting RPG. With three badges so far, I have a better feel now for the monster-trading and luck-of-the-draw romps through grass. There's a little bit in the Types combat that reminds me of Final Fantasy V style jobs, which is attractive. I also have a single Shiny Linoone that evolved from a Zigzagoon. She's orange colored so I named her Cowboy out of respect for friends back in Oklahoma.

I don't think I can get deeply into the game though. It's super grindy and repetitive. I constantly have to look back at my smartphone to look up either specific weaknesses or the type table. The ancillary mechanics like beauty contests, breeding, pokeblocks, and such are more distracting than engaging. It's fun, but not extraordinary into-it fun. I might try Sun or Moon, but not too sure about that yet. The Steam backlog calls.

What it mostly feels like mechanically? Dragon Quest. The same kind of repetition without the depth of combat mechanics that games like Final Fantasy offer. Dragon Quest is good, sometimes brilliant, but it occupies a very specific niche that hasn't change a whole lot since the late 80s, early 90s. Pokemon feels like that to me; a storied franchise that works and serves its niche well. I see the attraction, but the spell hasn't blessed me.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Register