Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 150130 times)

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #90 on: 29 August 2016, 04:45:03 »
As in the focus more on the science emphasis on ghost hunting with not too much on the occult side of it; mentioned but not part of the overall plot so to speak. Think the "Ghosthunters" tv show but with a story
No, not that but instead the feeling of the uninformed stumbling across magic and getting caught up in it while trying to keep their day job.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #91 on: 29 August 2016, 10:18:07 »
Reading Joseph Campbell's Romance of the Grail. 3 chapters in and I'm hooked on it that I want to get a copy of my own after I return the library copy.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #92 on: 29 August 2016, 13:02:51 »
No, not that but instead the feeling of the uninformed stumbling across magic and getting caught up in it while trying to keep their day job.
I really liked the pair of books where the uninformed stumbled across magic and got demon succubus and angel as his loyal & willing slaves while trying to keep his normal life at the college: Good Intentions and Natural Consequences, by Elliott Kay.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #93 on: 29 August 2016, 19:44:03 »
They weren't slaves, they were just bonded to him.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #94 on: 30 August 2016, 16:12:53 »
I love inter-library-loan. We have that for Iowa. I was able to find this interesting look at a potentially different early cosmology, with close passes of Mars shifting things on the Earth up to 701 BC when calendars around the world saw a sudden addition of 5 days. Interesting stuff.

Next, I'll be delving into the Gap Theory regarding potential ages before man. Don't remember the name of the book right off hand.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #95 on: 31 August 2016, 01:20:23 »
Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein (nonfict)

I'd read his website before and picked up the book without knowing who he was. Interesting, funny, revealing, ultimately tragic.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: 31 August 2016, 02:29:51 »
I've got three books on the go at the moment, but the one that's grabbed my attention the most is Bunch of Five, by Frank Kitson:

Technically, it's an autobiographical work, covering his time in service from 1952 to 1967, during which time he was deployed to Kenya, Malaya, Oman and Cyprus, in time to end up embroiled in events like the States of Emergency in Kenya and Malaya. Frank Kitson's the author of several books (others include Low Intensity Operations and Warfare as a Whole) and for a long time has been cited as an authority on staging counter-insurgency operations, based on his experience with gathering and using low-level intelligence.

The book's been a great read so far; I've read through the sections on Kenya and Malaya, and they've both been entertaining and well-told. In each section he gives enough of the background to give a decent idea as to the reason for the insurgency, but he avoids going into huge detail there so that he can instead concentrate on the operations, fieldwork and thinking behind them. Some of the particularly interesting sections were about things like the way people joined and left the Mau Mau and their motivations for doing so, how the counter-gangs were formed that were apparently so successful at breaking up Mau Mau groups, and the personal anecdotes about the various members of the Communist terrorist groups in the districts of Malaya Kitson was deployed to, including those he met who changed sides. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who's interested in the gathering and use of tactical intelligence and who's interested in learning a bit more about the various conflicts/theatres and what living and fighting in them was like.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #97 on: 31 August 2016, 14:15:40 »
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner.

This novel is NOT about the founder of Clan Star Adder.  :D

Actually, this is a pretty good classic novel, if a tad bit tedious. It has almost no dialogue, as it's framed as a young man recording his family's and family friend's recollections of times in the deep south ranging from before the American Civil War, to during, and the harsh decades after.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #98 on: 02 September 2016, 12:10:24 »
Read Betrayal of Ideals.

Well written and it's nice to see that Blaine can write something without a ton of American Civil War references, but I thought that the Wolverines were a little too squeaky-clean.  Would have been nicer if they'd been shown playing a little dirty before everyone turned on them instead of it just being a story about how they were so much better and more awesome than everyone else which caused all the haters to burn them down.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #99 on: 02 September 2016, 14:32:34 »
Read Betrayal of Ideals.
I have read it too and it has been discussed before. Somewhere. Once upon a time. Someone made a claim it hasn't been in print and thus is not canon. What do you say?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #100 on: 02 September 2016, 15:07:54 »
It's an official Battletech novel.  Unless Catalyst says otherwise, the way it depicts everything unfolding is canon.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #101 on: 03 September 2016, 10:49:59 »
I have read it too and it has been discussed before. Somewhere. Once upon a time. Someone made a claim it hasn't been in print and thus is not canon. What do you say?
Just looked at the summary of it. Wow and yeah that would fit in with the canon for the clans.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 03 September 2016, 12:26:22 »
i am looking for a book series about 30 years back and read them about 22 years back for love of all that i know of i cannot remember the series
it was 5 books set it was about search by rebels to find 5 rings that would deactivate the computer that runs the humanity.
earth is a cradle of human civilization and where computer is located.
humans live in pre industrial stages and are supervised by other humans the supervisors. supervisors are made to live like their subjects every few years and mind wipes are manditory and when they come back they get their minds back
enforcer droids that computer uses are called val
and humans on other planets are altered to fit the environment by use of matter transmutation.
the 5 rings are used as symbols of power by leaders of the planets. there is one ring per planet and computer is not allowed to destroy them if one is lost it has to be replaced.
any one know this series?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: 03 September 2016, 19:02:25 »
I finally got, Embers for War.  WOW, what great novel.  Heavy Mech combat, intrigue, and more.

I so well...want Shadow of Faith to come out soon, what great lead in to this.

Edit : Im idot, i wrote wrong title name...sorry guys.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2016, 07:14:21 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #104 on: 03 September 2016, 20:25:31 »
The Invisible War - by Donald Grey Barnhouse: Explores the 'Gap Theory' regarding the hidden age or ages between Genisis chapter 1 and 2.

Old, but interesting.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

IronFist

• Recruit
« Reply #105 on: 04 September 2016, 06:15:44 »
Hey elf25s... Sounds like the Jack L. Chalker series Rings of the Master.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 04 September 2016, 07:21:39 »
Speaking of Chalker, I really need to re-read the Saga of Well Worlds again. An awesome series of books from three decades or more ago
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #107 on: 04 September 2016, 19:57:27 »
Jack L Chalker is a pretty awesome writer overall. Charlie Tango and I both collect his books.

The first five Well World novels are great. I still have my copy of the "Midnight at the Well of Souls" RPG. I also love the "River of the Dancing Gods" series, which knowingly plays with a lot of fantasy memes - you might say it's "written in" to the universe ;) Then there's the "Soul Rider" series - head-bending on identity/reality/human nature.

The "Quintara Marathon" - also great. And some of his standalones - like "The Devil will drag you under" - repay reading.

The only ones I don't really like are the "Changewinds" books. Missed it for me.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #108 on: 04 September 2016, 21:16:37 »
The thing I never got was his author's notes in one of the Dancing Gods novels where he complained about people considering the series to be fantasy-comedy considering that that was exactly the way he wrote it.

The Changewind series didn't even make sense.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #109 on: 06 September 2016, 16:40:25 »
Hey elf25s... Sounds like the Jack L. Chalker series Rings of the Master.
yah thats the one! my kid bro borrowed them 20 years back and i could not remember them since he has them now
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #110 on: 06 September 2016, 18:59:36 »
Time for a Trial of Posession!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #111 on: 07 September 2016, 17:50:00 »
Reading The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #112 on: 07 September 2016, 18:33:17 »
Reading The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford.

Such a good book ...

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #113 on: 07 September 2016, 19:40:19 »
Just finished reading King's The Dark Tower books, in chronological order.  Now reading O'Rourke's Parliament of Whores which is still relevant 25 years later. 

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #114 on: 08 September 2016, 07:22:41 »
Old Man's War by John Scalzi. First time read for me. Scifi novel about how old people are given second chance @ life ask soldiers for human colonies. The charcters are really depicted well and author really makes them interesting since there raised and grew up like people today. Its nice read but i thought it felt too short.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #115 on: 08 September 2016, 09:04:12 »
Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein. Found my much battered paperback from 20 years ago.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #116 on: 08 September 2016, 10:16:31 »
Old Man's War by John Scalzi. First time read for me. Scifi novel about how old people are given second chance @ life ask soldiers for human colonies. The charcters are really depicted well and author really makes them interesting since there raised and grew up like people today. Its nice read but i thought it felt too short.

There's a total of six or seven books in the series now.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #117 on: 08 September 2016, 10:42:41 »
Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein. Found my much battered paperback from 20 years ago.

I just gave my eleven-year-old my old copy of The Star Beast  from when I was her age.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #118 on: 08 September 2016, 10:51:49 »
Someone posted scans of the 1992 Robocop vs The Terminator.  Nostalgia trip.  Hasn't aged well, and wasn't too good to begin with.  But, i miss some of the 90's comic art.  Not Jim Lee stuff.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #119 on: 08 September 2016, 11:04:31 »
There's a total of six or seven books in the series now.
Are they continuation of the main character of the 1st book or separate story in the same universe? I notice in the preview of the next book the main character love interest was in it thou she was retired.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2016, 12:57:01 by Wrangler »