Register Register

Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 42944 times)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1050 on: 06 May 2019, 14:01:41 »
Vanishing Point, 1971.  Picked up the Blu-ray, which has the uncut European version.  The real difference is he picks up a hitchhiker on his last night running, played by Charlotte Rampling, who is fantastic as always.  It is a small beat, a metaphysical beat in a film scattered with them, but the producers didn't think Americans would get it, so they cut it.  (The producers had no faith in the movie at all, showing is just a few times before sending it to the UK where it took off.)   This is an odd, existential, strangely spiritual movie about an extended car chase, and it is a sloppy mess in several places.  But any film with Charlotte Rampling as an angel of death cannot be a bad one, and I loved this movie as a kid way before seeing that scene.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Running circles around the competition...
« Reply #1051 on: 12 May 2019, 16:38:46 »
Just watched Collateral.  Not bad for a Tom Cruise flick. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1052 on: 12 May 2019, 17:16:26 »
Watched John Carter.

I agree with the previous assessments, it was a pretty decent film that was doomed by a lack of advertising.

Though the Mighty Whitey aspect is pretty dated. A hazard of using material from that time period,  I guess.

Our Officer's Club is better than your Officer's Club.

Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1053 on: 14 May 2019, 12:58:30 »
Little Big Man.  Saw this a bunch of times on tv when I was a kid so I picked up the Blu-ray.  It holds up very well for a 70's anti-western.

Luciora

• Captain
« Reply #1054 on: 14 May 2019, 13:17:59 »
I'm very glad the wartime allegiances were only background and didn't have any more impact than setting.  I definitely agree on the dated setting being a risk.

Watched John Carter.

I agree with the previous assessments, it was a pretty decent film that was doomed by a lack of advertising.

Though the Mighty Whitey aspect is pretty dated. A hazard of using material from that time period,  I guess.

grimlock1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1055 on: 16 May 2019, 11:49:25 »
Watched Venom last night and was pleasantly surprised. Also, the symbiote's lines were gold.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1056 on: 16 May 2019, 23:25:06 »
Tora! Tora! Tora!
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Running circles around the competition...
« Reply #1057 on: 18 May 2019, 00:11:10 »
Just saw John Wick III: Parabellum tonight.  Lots of fighting, and even a nod to The Matrix toward the end.  A surprisingly fun watch.  I recommend it highly.

Register