Author Topic: Aceso Class Hospital Dropship  (Read 3853 times)

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
Aceso Class Hospital Dropship
« on: 27 September 2016, 11:58:41 »
Until recently, Comstar  owned and operated most of the known hospital Dropships in the converted Condor-Class aerodyne class known as “Dove”s.  However, the idea for the Canopean Aceso class actually came from Doctor Hussein Dbdelwahab and Dame Sandra Echterhoff of the Free Worlds League.  Both were forced to flee their homeworlds along the Lyran border just ahead of the Wolf-in-Exile invasion of FWL space and found themselves appalled by the conditions of the various refugee camps they passed through on their way to safety in the Majestry of Canopus.

Using Dame Echterhoff’s considerable fortune, the pair launched into years of research to find the best way to implement their dream of providing better medical care for the poor and displaced, even after Dr. Dbdelwahab died of lung cancer caused by the chemical strikes he had endured as a child on Atreus.  Dame Echterhoff would later follow, dying of old age just before the contracts to begin construction could be finalized.  The project would be seen to completion by her daughter, Doctor Judith Echterhoff.

Sinking the bulk of the remaining Echterhoff fortune into the project and working extensively with Precision Instruments of Laxen, Bio-Edge Inc of Wildwood and Majesty Metals and Manufacturing shipyard on Dunianshire, the empty hull of a Princess Class luxury liner whose primary private investor went bankrupt attempting to assemble a private “Pleasure Circus” underwent the transformation into a new Aceso Class Hospital dropship.

Equipped with the latest Canopean medical advances and a skilled Canopean crew, the first ship is an experiment.  If it succeeds, the hope is to operate along the model of the famed Canopian pleasure circuses, travelling a circuit of low population/lower income worlds and providing quality medical care. Protocol will be to land the ship in a central location and use the vehicles to either spread out to smaller communities and treat patients on the ground, or to ferry the worst cases back to the dropship for treatment.

The Aceso does retain a part of the Princess class unique feature in the "Earth Ring" that circles the third deck.  Acting as not only a corridor and pleasant place for patients to enjoy a garden and sunlight, the plants growing in the ring are all selected for their healing/herbal properties.  This gives the doctors a chance to treat patients who would otherwise refuse treatment by "chemical" means, as well as a ready reserve of medicines as necessary.

The ship has greater capacity than the more well-known Dove, by expanding the not only the number of patients the hospital can handle- 30 surgeries at once at full emergency levels, along with the capacity to provide beds for almost 300 patients; as well as a dedicated Maternity Ward and limited laboratory.  The Aceso boasts two mobile MASH units and 6 dedicated ambulances, 2 Yan Manufacturing SOAR VTOLs, 1 ST-46 shuttlecraft and 1 Mowang modified into a shuttle-ambulance/bus.

With accompanying support ships for cargo and other supplies, the Aceso can be deployed to battle- and disaster zones easily.  Perhaps with an accompanying ship full of construction/recovery-mechs to help recover victims and offer rebuilding assistance of stricken areas.

Total ship’s compliment
Ships Crew
     10 Officers
     40 Enlisted/Non-rates
       3 Gunners
     20 Bay personnel
     30 support staff
30 Doctors
120 Assistants
         Nurses
         Orderlies
Ambulance and Evac Crews
                10 Paramedics
                6 MASH/Ambulance drivers

Normal operations have 2 medical wards operating at full capacity with a reserve compliment of 6 doctor and 24 assistants assigned to triage as needed

Deck Layout
Deck 1- Support Crew Deck
450 tons of space
                280 tons- 2nd Class Quarters
                -          40 Hospital support staff
                170 tons- Cargo

Deck 2- Entry Level                          4 Doors
                2085 tons of space
                                400 tons Vehicle Bay (50 tons per vehicle per the "TechManual" rules for Light vehicles)
                                                100 tons     2 MASH Units
                                                300 tons 6 Simca Ambulances
                                                                    Support/Cargo Trucks
                                2 tons 8 units Paramedic Equipment (0.25 tons per unit)
                                                0.5 tons/2 units per door
                                34 tons  2  Surgical Suites
                                                1 Suite = 2 MASH cores + 10 additional bays
                                                       -          MASH Core 3.5 tons
                                                                 o   +1 ton per additional bay
                                                       -          2 Sets of Paramedic equipment (0.5 tons total)
                             100 tons  ER (treat as steerage class quarters for 20)
                             602 tons  2nd Class Crew Quarters
                                         - Orderlies, medical staff
                                         - Medics
                                         - Drivers
                                               MASH
                                               Ambulance
                                         - Bay personnel
                            847 tons Cargo

Deck 3- Hospital Level
                2363 tons of space
                                34 tons  2  Surgical Suites
                                                1 Suite = 2 MASH cores + 10 additional bays
                                                    -          MASH Core 3.5 tons
                                                           o   +1 ton per additional bay
                                                    -          2 Sets of Paramedic equipment (0.5 tons total)
                              651 tons- Medical Staff Quarters
                                        -          Nurses
                                        -          Ship’s Crew
                                        -          Gunners
                              200 tons “Earth Ring”
                                        -   Ring around the perimeter reminiscent to the standard Princess class “Earth Deck”
                            1050 tons Patient wards
                                 150 2nd Class Quarters
                                         Includes cafeteria and kitchen
                             175 tons Maternity Ward
                                     140 tons 20 2nd Class rooms for mothers
                                      35 tons of space for baby stuff
                            250 tons Private Rooms
                                     25 1st class Quarters
                               3 tons of storage space

Deck 4- Residential/Ward Level
                1400 tons of space
                                550 tons- Command Staff 1st Class Quarters
                                          - 10 Ship’s Officers
                                          - 30 Doctors
                                          - 15 Head Nurses
                                 70 tons- Flight Crew 2nd Class Quarters
                                 80 tons- Lab space
                               700 tons- Patient Ward
                                         100 2nd class Quarters   

Deck 5- Hanger Deck                      2 Doors
                1 tons 4 units Paramedic Equipment (0.25 tons per unit)
                                                0.5 tons/2 units per door
                2 SOAR VTOLs
                                2 crew/unit
                1 ST-46
                                3 crew/unit
                1 Mowang (modified)
                                3 crew/unit

Aside from the above notes, it stats out just like the Princess Class Luxury liner

*recent update for the Vehicle Bay per the rules in the TechManual
« Last Edit: 02 June 2017, 21:19:16 by HyperionCormyr »

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
Re: Aceso Class Hospital Dropship
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2016, 12:01:27 »
Please note that this is the central piece for an ongoing merc contract for my players, who will be contracted to provide security during the initial tour of Periphery and poorer IS planets along the Periphery borders.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2016, 13:32:13 »
I like it. Is it possible to get even more passenger quarters, even at the steerage level, in order to actually evacuate a disaster zone, so it can help prior to the recovery phase of a disaster?

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2016, 14:03:05 »
The way I understand it, passenger quarters work out like this-

5 tons/unit= steerage
7 tons/unit= 2nd class
10 tons/unit= 1st class
15 tons/unit= Luxury Class
20 tons/unit= Ultra-Luxury Class

I didn't specifically arrange quarters for disaster evacuations as I figure it would be a per-case basis and could easily be accomplished by simply opening up as much storage as possible and leaving vehicles behind as necessary.  I was originally going to have the lower crew ratings be steerage, but opted to go with 2nd class since they live and work on the ship and aren't soldiers.

I also need to update the original post with some notations that the "Earth ring" is not only a pleasant walk/healing space, but also a garden for various herbal plants/remedies.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2016, 15:19:36 »
I make similar choices for crew on ships I have designs... if most of your time is going to be on the ship, it would really suck to have the lowest quality quarters possible. For ships meant to have long term crews, or meant to spend a large amount of time away from port, I have generally taken a page from star trek's book and given people comparatively nice quarters. For larger ships I am also pretty free with grav-decks for the same reason.

Is my math right that it has 1320 tons of cargo between those decks?

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2016, 15:33:24 »
That looks about right.  I figured that would be medical supplies, pharmacy, potable water (and recycling), food, fuel, clothing stores, laundry, repair parts for the various smaller vehicles, etc.. I didn't want to really dig into all of that as it's a VERY slippery slope.

I also figure they have the capacity to set up tents/shelters in order to increase the capacity of the patient wards as long as there is local support to lend a hand.

Nevaron

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2016, 15:58:48 »
Nice design.  Most of my mods to unarmed ships are to arm them up, but this is a much better direction, and a good story that makes perfect sense.  Copied this to use in my own (non-tournament) games.  Great work!

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 16:18:09 »
I really like the design, and how you have laid out the decks. As soon as I finished reading it I immediately began thinking of similar designs, like a hospital ship specializing in aersospace recovering... rescuing ejected pilots, and recovering escape pods and life boats, etc.

I always like things that give me ideas for more things  O0

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2016, 16:38:57 »
I flopped back and forth with adding some more "disaster recovery" type things and ultimately decided it would be best to have that as a wholly separate item.  The biggest thing I had thought to add was the "Florence" AmbulanceMech but ultimately opted against it as they "don't exist" yet.

I MAY eventually create a special "Recovery Company" of IndustrialMechs that gets attached to the Aceso, but I need to think about that.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2016, 17:11:07 »
Not a bad idea at all I like the story behind it made the design come alive nicely done
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2016, 19:47:31 »
Thanks.  I'm aiming for a 3150 era, but I'm a bit behind in my reading, so I might be missing some stuff that would make it a better story.  As I get caught up, I hope to fine tune the background a bit more.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2016, 13:08:55 »
Incidentally-  The Mowang is converted into a rescue-type ship by gutting out the 2 standard steerage quarters and the 1st class cabin and replacing it with a single 2nd Class cabin, a MASH Core (3.5 tons) and a single steerage class passenger bay.  It keeps the 5.5 tons of storage, though that is now accessible from the interior and at least 0.5 tons is allocated to paramedic equipment.

During the conversion process, some tech wag called the ship a "Siouxsie" and the name appears to have stuck.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2020, 00:14:58 »
So, i finally got around to statting this out with MekHQ and I'm not sure where I was off with my earlier math, but I have a great deal more space available to e than I thought. There are more Patient Rooms than originally calculated and significantly more storage space.

The 10 ton Cargo space and 5 Ton Insulated Cargo would be Pharmacy and Medications.
The "Livestock Cargo" would be where I consider the "Earth Deck" Garden space to be.
I did beef up the defensive weaponry just a bit, though I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.
The Crew Compliment is also very very high which doesn't make any sense, but I can't get it to come down, so I'm stuck with it.
And MegaMek doesn't have the addition of Paramedic Equipment yet, but there are stashes of it all over the ship. Mostly near the Bay Doors.

Code: [Select]
Type: Civilian Spheriod
Mass: 11,800 tons
Use: Hospital Dropship
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Introduced: 3145
Mass: 11,800
Battle Value: 1,204
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-E
Cost: 228,407,200 C-bills
Dimensions      Length: 117      Width: 117      Height: 125
Fuel: 850 tons (25,500)
Safe Thrust: 2
Maximum Thrust: 3
Heat Sinks: 102
Structural Integrity: 10
Armor      Nose: 94      Sides: 80/80      Aft: 66
Cargo
Bay 1: Light Vehicle (2) 1 Door
Bay 2: Light Vehicle (6) 1 Door
Bay 3: Small Craft (4) 4 Doors
Bay 4: Cargo (Insulated) (5.0 tons) 0 Doors
Bay 5: Cargo (Livestock) (166.0 tons) 0 Doors
Bay 6: Cargo (10.0 tons) 0 Doors
Bay 7: Cargo (Refrigerated) (20.0 tons) 0 Doors
Bay 8: Cargo (3397.0 tons) 1 Door
Escape Pods: 15 Life Boats: 35 Crew: 66 officers, 261 enlisted/non-rated, 3 gunners, 60 bay personnel, 166 passengers
Ammunition: 120 rounds of Anti-Missile System [IS] ammunition (10 tons), 1,000 rounds of Machine Gun ammunition (5 tons)
Notes: Mounts 17 tons of standard aerospace armor.
Weapons:

Armor: 320
Nose 94
Left Side 80
Right Side 80
Aft 66

Weapons              Loc                 Heat

AMS Bay              NOS                  1
Point Defense Bay NOS                  0
Pulse Laser Bay    NOS                  4

AMS Bay               LS                    1
Point Defense Bay  LS                    0