Register Register

Author Topic: Grand Rapids Michigan  (Read 451 times)

Goober415

• Recruit
  • Pod Owner and Bringer of Mayhem
Grand Rapids Michigan
« on: 30 June 2019, 13:11:58 »
Hey just looking to get a feel for any players in the Grand Rapids Michigan area that are looking for a BattleTech Tabletop gaming group to get started back up.

We have a handful of guys that play semi-regularly, but it has been a while, so we are trying to see if any new blood wants to join as well.
As many of us have pretty busy schedules, so hard to always make schedules work, but with a few more lost souls we could hopefully keep a good pool of players going.

We play BattleTech, AlphaStrike, Succession Wars, BattleSpace, AeroTech, BattleTech CCG you name it, LOL has been a while for some, but if it has to do with the BattleTech Universe we do it.

My group is also the group that runs the BattleTech Pods here in the Midwest, so you see us at Gencon, Origins, etc.....
( So we have some unique bonuses for our game group :D

We have a warehouse were we keep the pods and try to do a "Pod night" once a month which is open Pod Play, but have tabletop games going as well.
We then generally try to get some tabletop nights a couple-few times a month in addition to that.

Let me know if you are in the area or slightly out of it and interested, as would love to grow the group and the mayhem!

Thanks!
If you have to ask who is Goober....its already to late.

Starfury

• Corporal
Re: Grand Rapids Michigan
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2019, 20:56:50 »
I live in Kalamazoo, but I would be interested.  I've been playing BT on and off since 1987.  I have the latest rules set, but my stock of minis have long since been savaged by the wars of times past.  My schedule is pretty free on the weekends, other then one Sunday a month.

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2019, 18:05:25 »
Great Starfury.

So me and my crew are gearing up for Gencon, we will be taking out BattleTech Tesla Pods there, so next couple of weeks we will be "working" Battletech.

Once we get back from Gencon, I will be looking to schedule something.

As soon as I can lock in a date I will let you know.

What works best for you post the first weekend in August?

Starfury

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2019, 21:04:34 »
Anytime other then the 18th of August.  Are PDF versions of the rules sets fine, or do you want hardback copies?

Coanunn

• Recruit
    • Atomic Ninja Studios
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2019, 12:51:04 »
It's awesome you guys are just up there in GR!  It's just far enough I wouldn't be able to make the trip too often but might have to try to come up sometime.  I haven't played but maybe 3 games in the past 15-20 years unfortunately and was never great at it, but took my 8 year old son to GenCon and we did the Grinder most of the 3rd and all of the 4th day! He got more kills than I did!  If I had looked on here before going I would have known to come meet you guys while we were there as we were only about 20 feet from where you had the Pods set up that entire time.

VincentDegrassa

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2019, 18:43:46 »
Goober415,

Have you joined the Facebook group for Michigan BattleTech players?  If not, think about joining.  We post events and have discussions for BattleTech players across Michigan. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MichiganBattletech/

I try to run events in Battle Creek but mostly in Jackson.
Jim Topa
Don Degrassa, The Godfather of Battletech
"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day accept this Mech as gift on my daughter's first tournament"

Proud Member of the Vortex of Suck Merc unit
--Keeper of those in debt and head of J'mes Jokers

Tiger1833

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2019, 21:03:08 »
I’m in ada, but I have only played in megamek and that was forever ago.  I’ve caught the bug again after seein the clan kickstarter

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2019, 19:03:41 »
Sorry about the delay, work was killing me a bit post Gencon.

So we are running what we have affectionately called M3 ( Mechs Munchies and Mayhem ) starting again August 24th this month.
We hope top keep these running indefinitely now.

Our new location ( which just so happens to house 20+ of the Battletech Firestorm Pods ) is 3552 Roger B Chaffee Memorial Blvd Wyoming MI 49548.
We will be starting at 10am on the 24th.

I will update by next weekend rules and scenario. ( still up in the air if doing normal rules or Alpha Strike ), may have both ready to go based on how much time I have.

What we normally do is play for 3-4 hours, and share munchies we bring along to share, then after game is done, hit the Battletech Pods, which we do not charge for if you come and play Battletech, perk of M3 day :).
Then we have play area that if anyone wants to run pickup games as well of anything else we encourage that as well.
Then we usually break up around early evening or later if we get caught up having to much fun.

Look forward to seeing any new faces we can get.

Feel free to DM me your email if you want to get on our group email, as not everyone in our group is on this forum.

Thanks and have a great one!

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2019, 19:05:35 »
@Vincent, I actually dont have a Facebook account LOL.
I work in IT and many of us see that as the DEVIL :) hahahaha.

I will probably have to break down and jump on that, as want to grow our community in GR, so will have to let the hate go.....
« Last Edit: 11 August 2019, 12:34:54 by Goober415 »

VincentDegrassa

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2019, 09:51:55 »
You don't have to have a Facebook account.  Anyone that is part of the group can add events for you if you want.  PM me if you want your events in group but don't want a FB account 

IronSphinx also maintains a website http://www.playbattletech.org that lists events around the Michigan area.  PM him to get his email address and he will post your events up on the website....

I just checked the site and IronSphinx has your event up there alreeady
Jim Topa
Don Degrassa, The Godfather of Battletech
"Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day accept this Mech as gift on my daughter's first tournament"

Proud Member of the Vortex of Suck Merc unit
--Keeper of those in debt and head of J'mes Jokers

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2019, 12:02:48 »
Thanks Vincent,

Will get details pit tonight as have been traveling for work all week.

I’ve known Chuck for quite a while and he is on the list, he has been great about posting our events over the years.

Look for an update late tonight or in AM with scenario details!

Coanunn

• Recruit
    • Atomic Ninja Studios
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2019, 14:13:54 »
@Vincent, I actually dont have a Facebook account LOL.
I work in IT and many of us see that as the DEVIL :) hahahaha.

I will probably have to break down and jump on that, as want to grow our community in GR, so will have to let the hate go.....

This is super tempting but unfortunately I think the earliest I could be up that way is around 1-2pm.  We hold our business meetings every Saturday morning which runs to between noon and 1.  I might make it up, depends on what happens this week.

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2019, 14:22:18 »
No problem if you cannot make it up for the early game, but we do run usually into the late afternoon and evening depending on what we get into.

As recall we have the BattleTech Tesla Pods at our gaming site, so usually we get into playing those afterwards, or even other table games.

Regardless, no worries, but swing by if you can would love to have you out!

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2019, 14:45:50 »
** Update - Ruleset and Scenario for August 24th 10am game...

Rules - Base Rules - AGoAC book, BattleTech Manual and TW are compatible
Focus here is to keep it relatively simple so no super advanced rules or anything crazy as goal is to just get to know all our new and old faces, and then when playing this time get a feel for what everyone is most interested in doing. ( we can talk campaign stuff, alpha strike, aerotech, etc.........)

Scenerio - In with keeping it simple and fun so it is more of a get to know your new and old Battletech brothers, going to run Divide and Conquer ( slight mods ) from the AGoAC Box set rulebook.
Mechs will be as listed, but instead of using the paper mapsheets, we will use one of the new larger neoprene maps that CGL has produced., they are roughly the size of 2x mapsheets themselves, that way we have cohesive terrain. ( I think laterally there is only a 3-hex difference )
So mechs will be all old school mechs and good old fashioned down and dirty fighting.

If we rip through that one, we can play also Trial by Fire ( depending on attendance ) which is small and quick.

Or we can jump into the Battletech Pods early as well.

While there will really want to get feedback on what type of games people are interested in playing, such as rulesets ( like do we want to rotate between TW and Alpha Strike ) which maybe depending on size of engagements. Do we want to try to tackle more of a campaign?
As the new Chaos Campaign Succession Wars PDF CGL just released looks like fun.

Again looking forward to seeing you there, adn if you cant make it right away again we go to early evening with all the other actvities we have there, so stop by if you can and say high or look for next months update!

Have a great day everyone!

Coanunn

• Recruit
    • Atomic Ninja Studios
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2019, 13:00:27 »
Well I have been informed by my better half that we have plans that day (a close friend's birthday party).  I hope to catch your next gathering.

Goober415

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2019, 23:03:08 »
No problem

Look forward to next time.

Post game day this Saturday I will try to do an after action report and then get next date picked.