Author Topic: Mech of the Week - Kintaro  (Read 14924 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: Mech of the Week - Kintaro
« Reply #30 on: 31 October 2016, 13:40:09 »
If it's a DCMS unit, how about using an ERPPC? Gain the extra two tons you need by dropping two tons of armor and using FerroFibrous to make up the difference?
That would be called a "Daimyo" :D

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 31 October 2016, 18:41:02 »
honestly, i'd have used the mass to increase the size of the LRm rack up to a 10 or even 15 rack. probably a 10 rack, with extra ammo. an LRM5 is rather limited in usefulness prior to specialty ammo's appearing. a 10rack lets you do at least notable damage against an enemy as you close.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #32 on: 31 October 2016, 19:21:26 »
That would be called a "Daimyo" :D

...they DO share those hips, now that you mention it. And the laser setup in the arm is familiar. You may be on to more here in terms of lineage than you realized.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 31 October 2016, 19:23:53 »
Most LRM special ammo are available during the Star League era.
Thunder, Smoke, Swarm, Incendiary, Heat Seeking... Did i forget something?

I'd load the LRM of the standard Kintaro with Smokes to add some cover while approaching enemies for Narcing them.
Or Thunders, though this would depend on the map.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 01 November 2016, 13:44:11 »
...they DO share those hips, now that you mention it. And the laser setup in the arm is familiar. You may be on to more here in terms of lineage than you realized.
I was only looking at the loadout, but you're right. If you put em side by side and squint... its certainly not more different from the Kintaro than some of the Phoenix upgrades or Clan IICs are from their base designs.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2016, 02:52:53 »
JHB, Kidd, check out the shoulders and SRMs on the Grim Reaper, too.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2016, 15:10:57 »
Interesting, that Grim Reaper thing. TRO3055 doesn't mention the Kintaro in the text but between the weight, similar armor distribution, the SRM and looks, the Grim Reaper could very well be based on the Kintaro blueprints.

I would assume the Kintaro wasn't in production in '55, but presumably its old assembly line still existed on Terra, probably mothballed. Restart the line after modifying it a bit to produce Grim Reapers instead of Kintaros. Considering ComGuards needed new 'Mechs ASAP, modifying an existing design would be faster than a brand new design in a brand new assembly line (or making extensive retooling for another line). As for why a new 'Mech, parts availability is reason enough.

Certainly something i'd regard as headcanon, it makes too much sense.

EDIT Of course, there's a catch. I was going by info on TRO2750 for the Kintaro. TRO3050U places the primary factory of the Kintaro-20 to Mars, implying it is being made still. That said, minor and secondary factories aren't covered in TROs, so there could have been an unused Kintaro factory on Earth that was modified. Or alternatively an existing factory was modified... presumably assembly lines are semi-modular or reprogrammable even if the process isn't quick. Anyway, the Grim Reaper could still be based on the Kintaro, factory-issues aside.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 15:14:27 by Empyrus »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #37 on: 23 November 2016, 20:23:31 »
Always liked the Kintaro! Great 55 ton mech!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mutantsix

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 24 November 2016, 09:34:19 »
The FedSuns were producing the mech on Ozawa by General Dynamics and yet its generally known as a Kurita mech.

Also funny that the FedSuns never made any new variants post Helm memory core???

Register